Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

Who cares who the owner is long as your team wins. Owners own teams to make money. As for Kraft, best owner in the NFL hands down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Chowda - a lot of people feel that way about Jacobs, rightly or wrongly the sentiment is there.

Do Patriots fans feel the same about Kraft?  

What other sport has this kind of animosity against the ownership?

Jacobs knows about the sentiment against him and cares nothing for it.

What if this was another business?  What if it was a restuarant?  The owner doesn't eat there - he lives in another state, he doesn't know very much about cooking, he doesn't listen to his clientele.  If it was a restaurant he would probably be out of business.

[/QUOTE]

You live in Boston. 

It's a big world BH. Disdain for ownership can be a common theme for disgruntled fans from other sports and cities. 

Your city does not have the belt titleholder of this crown just because you say so.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but it's a club I would prefer not to be a member of.

[/QUOTE]

You are a member of this club for the sole reason that you think this way about Jacobs. Many others living in Boston don't share the same beliefs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As far as Jacobs being a bad owner i don't agree. Was he a fiscally responsible and looking at the bottom line type owner first, then yes i would accuse him of that. He was the first and only owner who had a salary cap before there was one.J.Jacobs didn't become a billionaire throwing his money around.I agree there were times when i would get peed off when the B's wouldn't bring in a high priced player at the trade deadline (talent to match) but the B's always stuck by there guns and if it didn't fit their salary model they wouldn't do it. Fortunately for Jacobs he had one of the best hockey talent assessors, traders and negotiaters at the time in Harry Sinden who bought in whole heartedly to company policy and for the majority of his time running the B's iced a playoff team, that were highly competitive.

The B's have made it to the Cup final 4 or 5 times under his ownership and everyone here knows how hard it is to win a Cup.There are lots of teams out there that have never won a Cup(Vancouver Canucks) that are considered well run franchises. I think really a team needs a good G.M, good scouts, coaches and players to win the Cup and be a great organization and in that i think Jacobs has done a good job.Heck every team would like to have a mulligan and the B's are no exception (O'Connell, Lewis, etc) but find me a team that is perfect and i will find you a team that wins cups. Detroit is the closest but they again had a good G.M,good scouts(lucky), coaches, and players. In the end , if there were more owners like J.Jacobs, the N.H.L would not be in the position it is now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Jacobs is not the worst owner in Bruins history, stupid title for a thread. Definition of a good owner for me is one who hires the right people to make sure the fans are happy with both the product and the experience.

As for an owner being a "fan", i couldn't care less. I think some owners, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones etc..are at all the games or on the sidelines because they know the cameras will be there and that feeds their egos.

Also, I love how soemone pointed out Robert Kraft. He is a cutthroat businessman..He used the people of Connecticut, to get the deal he wanted up here. He had zero intentions of moving that team there...If I were Jonathan Kraft, I would have slapped him upside the head for what he did to his deceased mom, the love of Roberts life as he will have you beleive, for being seen out with that 20 something year old floozy less than a year after the death of Myra.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jacobs is not the worst owner in Bruins history, stupid title for a thread. Definition of a good owner for me is one who hires the right people to make sure the fans are happy with both the product and the experience.

As for an owner being a "fan", i couldn't care less. I think some owners, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones etc..are at all the games or on the sidelines because they know the cameras will be there and that feeds their egos.

Also, I love how soemone pointed out Robert Kraft. He is a cutthroat businessman..He used the people of Connecticut, to get the deal he wanted up here. He had zero intentions of moving that team there...If I were Jonathan Kraft, I would have slapped him upside the head for what he did to his deceased mom, the love of Roberts life as he will have you beleive, for being seen out with that 20 something year old floozy less than a year after the death of Myra.

[/QUOTE]

He is a cutthroat businessman as is Jacobs thats why they are wealthy. Why do you care that he has a girlfriend after his wife has passed away.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Went to an Ice Dogs game last night. Didn't see the owner. Could care less if I did or didn't. Good game. $20 well spent. 

P.S. If the the owner showed up on a white horse waving to the fans at centre ice during the intermission it would not have mattered to me. I went there to see the on ice product put together by the GM and coach ( same person ). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Went to an Ice Dogs game last night. Didn't see the owner. Could care less if I did or didn't. Good game. $20 well spent. 

P.S. If the the owner showed up on a white horse waving to the fans at centre ice during the intermission it would not have mattered to me. I went there to see the on ice product put together by the GM and coach ( same person ). 

[/QUOTE]

Me too, i could care less if it showed Jacobs on t.v, up in his luxury box clapping after every fan bought some popcorn or a beer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as Jacobs being a bad owner i don't agree. Was he a fiscally responsible and looking at the bottom line type owner first, then yes i would accuse him of that. He was the first and only owner who had a salary cap before there was one.J.Jacobs didn't become a billionaire throwing his money around.I agree there were times when i would get peed off when the B's wouldn't bring in a high priced player at the trade deadline (talent to match) but the B's always stuck by there guns and if it didn't fit their salary model they wouldn't do it. Fortunately for Jacobs he had one of the best hockey talent assessors, traders and negotiaters at the time in Harry Sinden who bought in whole heartedly to company policy and for the majority of his time running the B's iced a playoff team, that were highly competitive.

The B's have made it to the Cup final 4 or 5 times under his ownership and everyone here knows how hard it is to win a Cup.There are lots of teams out there that have never won a Cup(Vancouver Canucks) that are considered well run franchises. I think really a team needs a good G.M, good scouts, coaches and players to win the Cup and be a great organization and in that i think Jacobs has done a good job.Heck every team would like to have a mulligan and the B's are no exception (O'Connell, Lewis, etc) but find me a team that is perfect and i will find you a team that wins cups. Detroit is the closest but they again had a good G.M,good scouts(lucky), coaches, and players. In the end , if there were more owners like J.Jacobs, the N.H.L would not be in the position it is now. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed 50. The JJ bashers like to claim that Neely and Bourque weren't given an adequate supporting cast to win a Cup even though they made it to the semi-final (at least) 4 times between 1988-1994. Sinden was allowed to go after the players he wanted. He was actually aggressive at the deadline many times during that era while acquiring guys like Moog, Iafrate, Propp, Poulin, and Christian for Cup runs. I don't blame ownership for any of those losses. They were trying to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is a cutthroat businessman as is Jacobs thats why they are wealthy. Why do you care that he has a girlfriend after his wife has passed away.  

[/QUOTE]

Who said I cared? I stated what i would do if I were Jonathan Kraft, and I'm not him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

To answer the question in the title of this thread, no he isn't. Lou Perini holds that title by a country mile - name another owner in Boston history who drove a storied major professionial sports team (one with over a 50 year history in Boston including a world series title) into the ground and then moved them to another city. As far as I know Perini is the only owner in Boston history to be responsible for the demise of a team in one of the big four leagues.

Also in terms of the owner being a fan, there's no correlation with team success. John Candy loved the Argos, but couldn't hold it together as an owner; Mark Cuban loves the Maverick's and is successful. Michael Gearon didn't like hockey and sank the Thrashers; David Thomson doesn't like hockey and is turning the Jets into a success. It comes down to business accumen. Doesn't matter if you're a fan if you can't properly operate the franchise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Red,

No one in Boston talks about or cares about the Braves.  They aren't like the LA Dodgers are to Brooklyn.  I know a tremendous amount about Boston sports, pro and college.  I had to look that guy up.  Never heard of him before.

As for driving a storied franchise into the ground, titles and all, take a look at last year's Sox. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who said I cared? I stated what i would do if I were Jonathan Kraft, and I'm not him.

[/QUOTE]

Clearly it bothers you otherwise why bring it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You might say that the sentiment against JJ is misplaced.

OK, fine.

But you cannot deny that the sentiment is out there, that's a fact.

For a sport that is a distant fourth to the other major sports I think the NHL ought to try harder and I don't see that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

You might say that the sentiment against JJ is misplaced.

OK, fine.

But you cannot deny that the sentiment is out there, that's a fact.

For a sport that is a distant fourth to the other major sports I think the NHL ought to try harder and I don't see that.

[/QUOTE]

Sure the sentiment is out there. 

So was...... Julien should be fired. The B's will never win a cup with him.

Do you also jump into a conga line every opportunity you get ? Are you a rat who follows the pied piper or the almighty Badhab with a mind greater then most ? 

Some ideas last forever. This is one that wore out it's welcome a long time ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the above is a pretty balanced assesment.  JJ seems easy to dislike, but his business acumen can't be doubted.

He certainly has been guilty of meddling, and the results in those area's have usually been negative.  The cap washed all of those sins away though, as did the embarrassment of the Shero debacle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stevegm's comment: [/QUOTE]   The cap washed all of those sins away though, as did the embarrassment of the Shero debacle.  [/QUOTE]

How was that a debacle ? Shero went to an organization that had Mario and Crosby plus multiple 1st round draft picks in the organization and awaiting to be picked. Shero made an easy decesion, I don't blame that on Jacobs nor Sinden.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A friend of mine played in a charity game with Nilan.  He had a lot of negative things to say about how management treated players.  Look at the picture of Nilan in the sports section of the globe today where he's gotten clean from drugs and is lecturing kids about bullying.  Notice he's wearing a red sox jacket - and not Bruins.  You'll all say I'm making a lot over nothing.  Fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

A friend of mine played in a charity game with Nilan.  He had a lot of negative things to say about how management treated players.  Look at the picture of Nilan in the sports section of the globe today where he's gotten clean from drugs and is lecturing kids about bullying.  Notice he's wearing a red sox jacket - and not Bruins.  You'll all say I'm making a lot over nothing.  Fine.

[/QUOTE]

BH, I don't put much stock in what team gear Nilan is wearing. He's made it fairly clear he considers himself a Hab more than anything else. In all honesty, I can barely remember Nilan as a Bruin. I mean I remember him being a Bruin but he just didn't make much of an impression on me. BTW, hope all is well with you. Cheers!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BH, I don't put much stock in what team gear Nilan is wearing. He's made it fairly clear he considers himself a Hab more than anything else. In all honesty, I can barely remember Nilan as a Bruin. I mean I remember him being a Bruin but he just didn't make much of an impression on me. BTW, hope all is well with you. Cheers!

[/QUOTE]

OK, agreed on Nilan.

following is nothing about hockey so you sensitive types avert your eyes.

As far as the rest goes it just plain ultra sucks.  He's been in hospice nearly 3 weeks now and if I dug a grave every time they called and said he was done I'd have a hole dug to China by now.  Plus his estate is a mess and there are all kinds of financial issues, thank God my wife is a elder law paralegal, if it weren't for her I swear I'd be dead now.  If at least the financial stuff is taken care of in Canada, at least there's one thing you guys don't have to worry about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK, agreed on Nilan.

following is nothing about hockey so you sensitive types avert your eyes.

As far as the rest goes it just plain ultra sucks.  He's been in hospice nearly 3 weeks now and if I dug a grave every time they called and said he was done I'd have a hole dug to China by now.  Plus his estate is a mess and there are all kinds of financial issues, thank God my wife is a elder law paralegal, if it weren't for her I swear I'd be dead now.  If at least the financial stuff is taken care of in Canada, at least there's one thing you guys don't have to worry about.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, it sounds like you're really going through the wringer right now. With all sincerity, I wish you the best. Few things in life are more difficult that preparing to lose a loved one. I hate to act like a pollyanna but believe me, things will get better. Keep your chin up. Cheers!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stevegm's comment: [/QUOTE]   The cap washed all of those sins away though, as did the embarrassment of the Shero debacle.  [/QUOTE]

How was that a debacle ? Shero went to an organization that had Mario and Crosby plus multiple 1st round draft picks in the organization and awaiting to be picked. Shero made an easy decesion, I don't blame that on Jacobs nor Sinden.

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that simple sandog.  The B's virtually announced they had him.  Many speculated the difficulty in finding an A list GM, was the constant meddling by ownership, and the historical perception of being cheap.  Although I don't totally blame ownership, I'm sure it embarrased them, and drove home the fact that a more positive image may help.

Despite being a solid original 6 franchise, I feel Boston was at or near the bottom of most players and executive wish lists.  Think that opinion, true or false, was widely held.

Because of Shero, PC had more clout when he was bargaining for the position, and it's my opinion PC  used the leverage to insist on more autonomy, and the gameplan to change perceptions. 

Not intended to be entered as fact...just my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Gotcha good explanation!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red,

No one in Boston talks about or cares about the Braves.  They aren't like the LA Dodgers are to Brooklyn.  I know a tremendous amount about Boston sports, pro and college.  I had to look that guy up.  Never heard of him before.

As for driving a storied franchise into the ground, titles and all, take a look at last year's Sox. 

[/QUOTE]

True, but the question was about worst owner, not if anyone still cares. You know the culture better than I do so I'm certain you're right. But imperically, it's hard not to say he's the worst.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that simple sandog.  The B's virtually announced they had him.  Many speculated the difficulty in finding an A list GM, was the constant meddling by ownership, and the historical perception of being cheap.  Although I don't totally blame ownership, I'm sure it embarrased them, and drove home the fact that a more positive image may help.

Despite being a solid original 6 franchise, I feel Boston was at or near the bottom of most players and executive wish lists.  Think that opinion, true or false, was widely held.

Because of Shero, PC had more clout when he was bargaining for the position, and it's my opinion PC  used the leverage to insist on more autonomy, and the gameplan to change perceptions. 

Not intended to be entered as fact...just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I think Modano while on a plane to Boston getting off while on a layover may have been more of a blackeye on the Franchise. I remember it being announced that he was signed and was coming for his physical.