Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

I remember Roenick, who spent time in Boston when he was young, rejecting MOC as well. Glad those days are over!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A friend of mine played in a charity game with Nilan.  He had a lot of negative things to say about how management treated players.  Look at the picture of Nilan in the sports section of the globe today where he's gotten clean from drugs and is lecturing kids about bullying.  Notice he's wearing a red sox jacket - and not Bruins.  You'll all say I'm making a lot over nothing.  Fine.

[/QUOTE]

He's probably wearing a Red Sox jacket becasue it was easier to steal.  I played against him in a charity game, he was 6 inches in front of me while the puck was at the point, I had my glove against his back as I usually do so i can watch the puck and keep track of him. Standard for most goalies. My glove is barely touching him, as the play goes down the other end, he circles the net comes from behind me and 2 hand chops me on the back of my leg where there is minimal protection. As he skates a way he tells me to never F'n touch him again.

He comes in on a break a way moments later and i make a glove save. i ask him if it's alright to make a save on him or will he cross check me in my head. He states how i was lucky that he missed his spot. I then tell him I youtubed him the night before and watched Jay Miller beat the snot out of him. Bruce Shoebottom is right there and starts to laugh. I then ask Shoebottom what he is laughing at because I Youtubed him and nothing came up...knuckles then kisses me on the mask and says I'm alright in his book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Nilan will ALWAYS be a Hab in my book.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Modano while on a plane to Boston getting off while on a layover may have been more of a blackeye on the Franchise. I remember it being announced that he was signed and was coming for his physical.

[/QUOTE]

I don't remember anyone saying or reporting that he was signed.  I remember the rumors of is arrival, but nothing concrete to make me think it was actually going to happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Modano while on a plane to Boston getting off while on a layover may have been more of a blackeye on the Franchise. I remember it being announced that he was signed and was coming for his physical.

[/QUOTE]

I don't remember anyone saying or reporting that he was signed.  I remember the rumors of is arrival, but nothing concrete to make me think it was actually going to happen.

[/QUOTE]

I remember WEEI reporting the Bruins had reportedly signed Modano to a two year deal. Turned out to be false, but I remember it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I remember WEEI reporting the Bruins had reportedly signed Modano to a two year deal. Turned out to be false, but I remember it.

[/QUOTE]

Thank God for The Sports Hub.  EEI was the absolute worst.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember Roenick, who spent time in Boston when he was young, rejecting MOC as well. Glad those days are over!

[/QUOTE]

It's not that JR spent time in Boston.  He grew up in Marshfield and went to Thayer.  I'm sure sure if Roenick spurned MOC or the terrible team.  He was chasing a Cup at the end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he'll always be an idiot in mine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he'll always be an idiot in mine

[/QUOTE]

Once and always, i agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank God for The Sports Hub.  EEI was the absolute worst.

[/QUOTE]

Worst is being generous, especially when it came to hockey. I remember specifically hearing them report Keith Tkachuk was traded to the Rangers. Not a report that stated sources were saying, they actually reported because I called them to see who it was for and the person who answered the phone said it was draft picks. this was about 12 years ago.

Remember Ordway would mock people who called and wanted to talk about the Bruins and he would yell "Welcome to Hockey Talk!!" sarcastically?? Then along came Felger..Add that to the fact that the Bruins were becoming very relevant and thats why old Ordway took a $500,000 hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]I remember Roenick, who spent time in Boston when he was young, rejecting MOC as well. Glad those days are over!

It's not that JR spent time in Boston.  He grew up in Marshfield and went to Thayer.  I'm sure sure if Roenick spurned MOC or the terrible team.  He was chasing a Cup at the end. [/QUOTE]

Born in Boston but lived in Virginia till his he was 16. That is what I meant by typing "spend time" in the Boston area is what I meant. Certainly the more formidable years were in Beantown.

I probably would've chosen Philly myself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21177288/nhl-lockout-jeremy-jacobs-isnt-a-fan-of-nhls-new-kids-on-the-block

From Haggerty:

Bruins Principal Owner and Chairman of the Board of Governors Jeremy Jacobs answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the “new kids on the block " and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL board room.

That's the kind of hawkish, bully mentality that's driving the bus through the NHL lockout that has now cancelled games through the middle of December.

It's also the reason why Bruins fans should hold Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs personally responsible."
    Haggs hacking away...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sheesh - I can see sort of where Jacobs is coming from considering how long he's been around, but maybe, just maybe, you think it'd be wise to listen to the guy who is running the smallest market team in the league, yet has the 9th most profitable franchise, when you're discussing business plans. Chipman's been running a hockey business for 16 years now and has turned a profit every year - I don't care how new he is to this particular league, if the guy knows what he's doing business wise (when so many other owners don't at least in hockey) at least listen to him. I mean, it's a one year old team in the smallest market going and they only made $900 k in profit less than the Bruins, the oldest American team in one of the largest markets who happened to be the reigning Cup champs, last year. Maybe he knows what he's talking about.

(That's assuming it was Chipman - their other primary rep is Thomson, the richest owner in the league, and maybe worth listening to in his own right).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sheesh - I can see sort of where Jacobs is coming from considering how long he's been around, but maybe, just maybe, you think it'd be wise to listen to the guy who is running the smallest market team in the league, yet has the 9th most profitable franchise, when you're discussing business plans. Chipman's been running a hockey business for 16 years now and has turned a profit every year - I don't care how new he is to this particular league, if the guy knows what he's doing business wise (when so many other owners don't at least in hockey) at least listen to him. I mean, it's a one year old team in the smallest market going and they only made $900 k in profit less than the Bruins, the oldest American team in one of the largest markets who happened to be the reigning Cup champs, last year. Maybe he knows what he's talking about.

(That's assuming it was Chipman - their other primary rep is Thomson, the richest owner in the league, and maybe worth listening to in his own right).

[/QUOTE]

Obviously due to being an expansion team's fans that was craving to get back the team they lost. 

In a situation like that fans spending money in the first year would be an obvious result. Hopefully they can sustain that high of an operating income as years go by.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Chowdah, I figure that's exactly the Jets concern - they need to sustain the momentum they built in order to sustain those revenues. A prolonged lockout could threaten that ability. That said, this story has already bought the Jets some good will and Jacobs a lot of hate. My Jets board has exploded with comments attacking Jacobs and lauding the Jets ownership for being reasonable and considering the fans. They may not be as vindictive to the Jets as other fan bases will be to their teams because they seem to think, rightly or wrongly, that Chipman's on the side of angels. At this point in time this story leaking could help the Jets endure the fallout from a prolonged lockout. They're ticked at the league, they're ticked at the NHLPA, and Jacobs remarks may have just elevated the Bruins to their most hated team in the league, but they don't seem to be upset at all with TNSE or the Jets.

Peggers have long had an inferiority complex - nothing is going to tick them off faster than telling them they don't matter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised by this at all, he's notoriously arrogant and born with a silver foot in his mouth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Red, the lockout will hurt some teams but I doubt Winnipeg will be one of them. Their fan base interest is exceptional. It's the teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game that will be set back. Teams in the U.S. south for example.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red, the lockout will hurt some teams but I doubt Winnipeg will be one of them. Their fan base interest is exceptional. It's the teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game that will be set back. Teams in the U.S. south for example.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they are being hurt now and will feel the lingering effects for some time. I wonder if one will fold as a result. Some of these owners, when they come back to poor attendance are going to look at how succesful the move was for the Thrashers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you checked the attendance figure averages from the "south" recently?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have, and they are not good.

Dallas,Carolina,Florida and Tampa Bay are in the  bottom 10 as far as attendance goes for last season.

The last year of the Thrashers they  were 3rd worst in the NHL. I'm not even counting Pheonix wich doesnt deserve an NHL team, because like the rest of them, not enough people care about hockey for a franchise to thrive.

Now you tell me which one of these teams is better off where they are rather than say anywhere in Canada.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2012

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dallas,Carolina,Florida and Tampa Bay are in the  bottom 10 as far as attendance goes for last season.

The last year of the Thrashers they  were 3rd worst in the NHL. I'm not even counting Pheonix wich doesnt deserve an NHL team, because like the rest of them, not enough people care about hockey for a franchise to thrive.

Now you tell me which one of these teams is better off where they are rather than say anywhere in Canada.

[/QUOTE]

You didn't do enough homework grasshopper.

Geez... it pisses me off when people want to argue, but are too lazy to even attempt to back up their position and fail to consider what's been said to this point.

1. I NEVER spouted anything about Canada

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Tampa is usually in the top 5 or so.  Last year, it wasn't in the bottom 10, nor near it.  Both Carolina and Florida drew in excess of 16,000 per game which is significantly more than the Bruins did for decades, in fact both had better numbers than the B's in 07/08.

Now lets look at Phoenix.  They were pretty good last year, and they drew an average of 12,420.  Certainly not good, but when looked at from a bigger sample, we can see they drew a very respectable VERY RESPECTABLEopler god

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Some of you guys don't seem to understand the purpose of the teams in the south.  It's not always about how many tickets they can sell.  Having a presence in the area is very important.  They didn't need Atlanta with Tampa, Nashville and Florida in the south east. 

Why do you think Phoenix has a team?  It certainly isn't because the attendance is overwhelming or that they "deserve" one.  It's because the NHL wants a presence in that area.  Dallas might be low on sold out games, but it's a huge state with a huge population.  The NHL needs to get in their living rooms, even if it's just highlights on the news, if it wants to be considered more legit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You didn't do enough homework grasshopper.

Geez... it pisses me off when people want to argue, but are too lazy to even attempt to back up their position and fail to consider what's been said to this point.

1. I NEVER spouted anything about Canada

[/QUOTE]

"teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game"

Geez Part 2............It pisses me off when people don't read properly. Total attendance figures were never mentioned once. Forget the homework, just read the damn post. Having natural fan interset in the game is one thing ( as northern teams have ) . Having to promote the game to get fans to come see games is another (as teams from the south have done through the years).  

There are more options for the people from the south ( then the north ) to spend their money in the winter because of the difference in weather .

Comprehend grasshopper ? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

Some of you guys don't seem to understand the purpose of the teams in the south.  It's not always about how many tickets they can sell.  Having a presence in the area is very important.  They didn't need Atlanta with Tampa, Nashville and Florida in the south east. 

Why do you think Phoenix has a team?  It certainly isn't because the attendance is overwhelming or that they "deserve" one.  It's because the NHL wants a presence in that area.  Dallas might be low on sold out games, but it's a huge state with a huge population.  The NHL needs to get in their living rooms, even if it's just highlights on the news, if it wants to be considered more legit.

[/QUOTE]

????

"presence"

No.  I have no idea what that really means and it benefits the business of the NHL.

What I always heard was that they were dependant on the gate receipts, so I would think that would trump most other issues.

I googled and couldn't find anything about it.