Is Neely still just a figurehead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Is Neely still just a figurehead?

Do some of you really believe Neely is just in place because of his name? Whenever he seems to get angry or talk to the team they respond.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/cam-neelys-latest-comments-may-have-come-at-perfect-time-for-tim-thomas-bruins.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead?

He is  a figurehead.  Can you tell us what his job is? He just has a title.  He is clearly a figurehead.

It's a shame they need him to even say this.  This town hasn't won a Cup in 39 years and hasn't even made it past Round 2 in 20.

If these players won a Cup here, they'd be treated like kings to the point they wouldn't know what to do with it.

They are one of the laughingstocks of the league because of how they operate as an organization.

Now, if they had 20 Cam Neelys on the team, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The fact these players need to be motivated in this town is embarrassing and unacceptable based on the fact they made it back to back Conf Semi Game 7s, both they SHOULD have won, and are still lallygagging around.

I found this quote to reflect exactly what I said after they started losing at home and with that road Montral game:

"One of the things I've noticed is the compete level hasn't been where it should be or where it needs to be. I think there's times where our players feel like they're a good team and all they need to do sometimes is put the skates on and go out there and get two points."

No.  You aren't the 1984/1985 Oilers.  

This is what bothers me. They should be running through walls every night, and it's just not there.

Do you want to win or not?

Their home ice issue is another red flag.   If they come out flat tonight, or even follow up a good win tonight with that flat follow up, these one-off big wins mean absolutely nothing.

Nothing.

Not trying to be negative, but you asked the question.

SHOW ME.  Don't tell me. SHOW ME.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I posted this question in the off season. I still believe he is the one that goes behind closes doors with the owner and reports what he sees to him . It's just a thought, based on no facts. It's what I would like to believe, just like I would love for the  Habs to board a rocket ship that flies them to the moon to play hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead?:
    He is  a figurehead.  Can you tell us what his job is? He just has a title.  He is clearly a figurehead.
    Posted by BBReigns

When did Julien open up the offense? When rumors were swirling that Julien was on the hotseat and was going to be fired. Neely had a sitdown with him and things changed. That's when the season turned around. I think Neely has a lot of say in the lockerroom and in the organization. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I posted this question in the off season. I still believe he is the one that goes behind closes doors with the owner and reports what he sees to him . It's just a thought, based on no facts. It's what I would like to believe, just like I would love for the  Habs to board a rocket ship that flies them to the moon to play hockey.
    Posted by Stuke50

I agree Stuke. You can't say either way with facts. I just see how this team/organization responds to what he says and that to me makes me believe he has a lot of say.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead? : When did Julien open up the offense? When rumors were swirling that Julien was on the hotseat and was going to be fired. Neely had a sitdown with him and things changed. That's when the season turned around. I think Neely has a lot of say in the lockerroom and in the organization. 
    Posted by callodthedom19

So, Neely undermines the coach and tells Claude what to do? YOu don't find this dysfunctional?

Just make Neely the coach, then. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

He is  a figurehead.  Can you tell us what his job is? He just has a title.  He is clearly a figurehead. It's a shame they need him to even say this.  This town hasn't won a Cup in 39 years and hasn't even made it past Round 2 in 20. If these players won a Cup here, they'd be treated like kings to the point they wouldn't know what to do with it. They are one of the laughingstocks of the league because of how they operate as an organization. Now, if they had 20 Cam Neelys on the team, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact these players need to be motivated in this town is embarrassing and unacceptable based on the fact they made it back to back Conf Semi Game 7s, both they SHOULD have won, and are still lallygagging around. I found this quote to reflect exactly what I said after they started losing at home and with that road Montral game: "One of the things I've noticed is the compete level hasn't been where it should be or where it needs to be. I think there's times where our players feel like they're a good team and all they need to do sometimes is put the skates on and go out there and get two points." No.  You aren't the 1984/1985 Oilers.   This is what bothers me. They should be running through walls every night, and it's just not there. Do you want to win or not? Their home ice issue is another red flag.   If they come out flat tonight, or even follow up a good win tonight with that flat follow up, these one-off big wins mean absolutely nothing. Nothing. Not trying to be negative, but you asked the question. SHOW ME.  Don't tell me. SHOW ME.  
    Posted by BBReigns

where is your evidence that he is just a figurehead? SHOW ME 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

We won't know until the season is over.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead? : where is your evidence that he is just a figurehead? SHOW ME 
    Posted by thedauber1

No. Absolutely not. I asked one of you homers to spell out what his role is.

The fact you cannot do it is very telling.   Point proven.

He's a figurehead.  He's a liason between the organization higher ups and a symbol for the fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Well, for starters he takes part in meetings involving hockey operations.  Be it draft choices, trades, or signings, he is part of the decision-making process.  Chirarelli, of course, still makes the final decision.  It is difficult to judge just how much influence he has, from the outside.

He's not being paid just to be the one the cameras get pointed at during big events in a game, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ok, so he's a consultant.  He gets paid to voice his opinion, essentially. 

The issue is, he's never been a scout, GM or coach, so wouldn't his placement be more about what he symbolizes v.s. actually having a track record of success at some level other than playing?

Yes.

It doesn't really matter what his title is. He's a symbol. He absolutely is more of a figurehead than anything else.

Like I said, you can't just make a Cam Neely and that's part of the issue and probably his frustration when he sees the team thinking they can coast for 60 minutes and still win in this league.

Even the other night, they were badly outplayed in the 1st period.

Good job to win the game and pull away, but that's also the NJ Devils.

Translation: You can't turn it on and off. Your team is nowhere near good enough to be doing that and it bothers me they think they can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how would anyone IN THIS FORUM, meaning NOT PART OF THE B'S MANAGEMENT- have any clue what neely's role is? this is like when a catcher goes to the mound in a baseball game- and the announcers TELL US what the conversation is about. really? you can't even lip read- they cover their mouths. but do go ahead and tell us what YOU think his role is. presenting conjecture as facts is silly 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am not sure I have seen such a batch of illogical homers in one place as much as I see it here.

My god.

He was named "vice president" and then "president" within 2 years. 

You don't care what his role is?  What a shock.   Jacobs could put Bin Laden in a role here, and apparently, the Bruins homer fan wouldn't care what he does.

I am pretty sure when given a title, you have a role.  This is how the real world works.

Jacobs is the owner, Chiarelli is the GM and Clowde is the coach.

Neely was chosen because is a HUGE fan favorite. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

He is  a figurehead.  Can you tell us what his job is? He just has a title.  He is clearly a figurehead. It's a shame they need him to even say this.  This town hasn't won a Cup in 39 years and hasn't even made it past Round 2 in 20. If these players won a Cup here, they'd be treated like kings to the point they wouldn't know what to do with it. They are one of the laughingstocks of the league because of how they operate as an organization. Now, if they had 20 Cam Neelys on the team, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact these players need to be motivated in this town is embarrassing and unacceptable based on the fact they made it back to back Conf Semi Game 7s, both they SHOULD have won, and are still lallygagging around. I found this quote to reflect exactly what I said after they started losing at home and with that road Montral game: "One of the things I've noticed is the compete level hasn't been where it should be or where it needs to be. I think there's times where our players feel like they're a good team and all they need to do sometimes is put the skates on and go out there and get two points." No.  You aren't the 1984/1985 Oilers.   This is what bothers me. They should be running through walls every night, and it's just not there. Do you want to win or not? Their home ice issue is another red flag.   If they come out flat tonight, or even follow up a good win tonight with that flat follow up, these one-off big wins mean absolutely nothing. Nothing. Not trying to be negative, but you asked the question. SHOW ME.  Don't tell me. SHOW ME.  
    Posted by BBReigns

Seriously, you cant expect a team to be up for every game. I feel the schedule it too long They should reduce the 82 game schedule, by 10 games or so, but its all about money and selling more tickets. These guys skate 6 days a week, sometimes more without many off days. Youre constantly burning energy when a day to relax would be nice. You look at the guys that get a night off and they alway have a little more jump in their play when they come back. Sure everyone wants to win, but sometimes the game for some players just isnt there. Its tough. I played club hockey in college and highschool hockey, which definitely isnt as demanding as the NHL, but there are times when your legs could use a break. Every athlete goes through this now and then, the pros are no different. If any pro athlete can do what they do night in and night out, its a baseball player....Stand around the majority of the time, dont really exert too much energy, but thats why they play 180 some games a season too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

That's what a president is. Someone who is at the top of the organization that oversees the performance of the people below him. You ask what he does? That's what he does. He's in a management role.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead? : Seriously, you cant expect a team to be up for every game. I feel the schedule it too long They should reduce the 82 game schedule, by 10 games or so, but its all about money and selling more tickets. These guys skate 6 days a week, sometimes more without many off days. Youre constantly burning energy when a day to relax would be nice. You look at the guys that get a night off and they alway have a little more jump in their play when they come back. Sure everyone wants to win, but sometimes the game for some players just isnt there. Its tough. I played club hockey in college and highschool hockey, which definitely isnt as demanding as the NHL, but there are times when your legs could use a break. Every athlete goes through this now and then, the pros are no different. If any pro athlete can do what they do night in and night out, its a baseball player....Stand around the majority of the time, dont really exert too much energy, but thats why they play 180 some games a season too.
    Posted by bgrif008

I get that. I really do. Every team is going to lay some eggs, have some mediocre games, etc. Yes.

The thing I am seeing is since the trade, they appeared to feel they could mail it in on some nights.

Their home record is also pretty bad for a supposed SC contender. 

You have to admit, the effort has been overall pretty stagnant for about 3 weeks now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead? : I get that. I really do. Every team is going to lay some eggs, have some mediocre games, etc. Yes. The thing I am seeing is since the trade, they appeared to feel they could mail it in on some nights. Their home record is also pretty bad for a supposed SC contender.  You have to admit, the effort has been overall pretty stagnant for about 3 weeks now.
    Posted by BBReigns

he is either a figure head or he isn't. fact of the matter is, you don't know, i don't know, we can only speculate. The fact that you are replies are stated as if they are fact speaks to your credibility 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's what a president is. Someone who is at the top of the organization that oversees the performance of the people below him. You ask what he does? That's what he does. He's in a management role.
    Posted by nrguy

Yes, I know what the title would normally mean, but in this case, if you don't think Neely is more of a symbolic president than someone who is an NHL front office veteran with experience to earn that title, then I cannot help you.

How many presidents undermine the GM and head coach? I think it's great that he's passionate and does it, mind you, but this is about as dysfunctional an organization as you'll find. 

Neely trying to get the players excited basically means Julien can't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead

In Response to Re: Is Neely still just a figurehead? : he is either a figure head or he isn't. fact of the matter is, you don't know, i don't know, we can only speculate. The fact that you are replies are stated as if they are fact speaks to your credibility 
    Posted by thedauber1

No, my opinion has nothing to do with "credibility". Any opinion of anyone's has nothing to do with credibility.

Learn what words mean before using them.

You sound foolish trying to talk down to me.   This is a messageboard for fans. NO one is trying to join a "credibility" club with their opinion.

When you have a president or GM basically doing the job of a coach, that is a problem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

thanks BB...when i need the inside information, i'll come to you. as it seems your sitting in on all the team meetings, i'm sure they go like this: clode "can't anyone here tell me how to coach?- maybe i should ask BBreigns", cam "don't ask me, i'm just a figure head", jacobs "you two figure it out, i don't care if we win"---be sure to update us with the next meeting's minutes. your a wealth of information  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It has nothing to do with "inside information", Corky.

Neely said he spoke to the team!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

please elaborate... as i'm sure you know what was said. and why would someone who's just "a figurehead" be allowed to address the team?- shouldn't someone who is actually important be doing this. maybe YOU should talk to the team and let them know the management is TRYING to make them lose every game on purpose!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Right now, he certainly seems more figurehead than truly impactful team member.  If I were to speculate (or perhaps a better word in this case is 'dream'), I would think that his eventual role would be as a kind of surrogate owner.  He'd still have to run anything involving money past Jacobs, but otherwise would be 'the man in charge', making Jacobs less relevant.

I can dream, right?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

yes we all can dream...hopefully the one where the b's win a cup comes true!

Sections
Shortcuts