Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?

He just tried to run Spezza and did a face-plant into the boards.........hilarious!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntari. Show RichmondHillOntari's posts

Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?

In Response to Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?:
    He just tried to run Spezza and did a face-plant into the boards.........hilarious!
    Posted by dezaruchi

Good question, dez.  I think Leaf fans may still be waiting for his vaunted leadership qualities to materialize.  I think it may have been his brashness of walking into the locker room on his first visit after becoming a Leaf and changing the music that was blasting without asking anyone if they objected that endeared him to Burke & Co. 

To show how far his stock has fallen from his heady Flame days, media heads and sports call-in listeners make note of any hits that are reminiscent of those he used to distribute with regularity in Calgary.  As a Leaf, he has not been the same player as the one that would frequently appear in "Hi-Lites of the Night" spots.

I know Schenn is young but to me he seems to be more of a "follow me, guys"-type with his play and media profile.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes.

It's got to be demoralizing that he's always trying to mess with guys like Spezza or St. Louis or someone like that.

He is just overwhelming phoney tough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I think thats a question no fan can answer honestly, Dez.

None of us are in the Toronto locker room. We don't really fully know how a guy like Phaneuf leads. Yeah he makes some boneheaded plays on the ice, but for all we know, the rest of the maple leafs players and coaches could really like Deion and think he's a great captain. We don't know that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?:
    In Response to Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain? : Good question, dez.  I think Leaf fans may still be waiting for his vaunted leadership qualities to materialize.  I think it may have been his brashness of walking into the locker room on his first visit after becoming a Leaf and changing the music that was blasting without asking anyone if they objected that endeared him to Burke & Co.  To show how far his stock has fallen from his heady Flame days, media heads and sports call-in listeners make note of any hits that are reminiscent of those he used to distribute with regularity in Calgary.  As a Leaf, he has not been the same player as the one that would frequently appear in "Hi-Lites of the Night" spots. I know Schenn is young but to me he seems to be more of a "follow me, guys"-type with his play and media profile.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntari

So quickly handing him the C was another mistake by Burke.Phaneuf has done nothing to show he's a player who's lead that anyone should follow.You're absolutely right about Schenn.He would be a far better choice.Armstrong would also be a better captain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Yes he is terrible...Thumbs up to Calgary for understanding that he was finished.  A good GM has to trade a guy when he still has value.  That is why i think the Bs should trade TT if they can get something good in return.  He will not get younger and will never be able to pull up the same number that he has this year so far!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Good thing you're not the GM Lucaooo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

yes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

Chara is right up there, good defenseman but a horrid team leader

Game 5 vs Philly up 3-1 in the series in your own barn "I'm nervous to play, i think we're all nervous" Way to fire up the boys Z!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

wow.possibly the stupidest post i've ever read...Tries to make a big hit and misses so he is the worst captain??? What about the big hit where he flattened the rookie, or a big hit on Chris Neil?.Or how about when he hammers Lucic all night everytime they play?..When you play like that your gonna miss siome, but to be called the worst captain, is really idiotic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

wow.possibly the stupidest post i've ever read...Tries to make a big hit and misses so he is the worst captain??? What about the big hit where he flattened the rookie, or a big hit on Chris Neil?.Or how about when he hammers Lucic all night everytime they play?..When you play like that your gonna miss siome, but to be called the worst captain, is really idiotic.
    Posted by kelvana33

Yeah Kel,I was basing my opinion on a single play from his career thus far.Hammers Lucic every game....maybe we're seeing something different.I see him getting pushed around by Lucic AND Horton(among others).His game has fallen rapidly and if this is such a dumb post,please enlighten us as to the NHL captains who do a worse job than Phaneuf.Should be simple for a smart guy like you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

kel, if you take off your bleu, blanc, rouge colored glasses, you might notice phaneuf doesn't hammer lucic every game. he hammers lucic as much as komisarek hammers lucic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by kelvana33

That was just one example, but that happens often.

Yes, he occasionally lands the big hit, yes he has a decent shot from the point.

But he does pick on guys smaller than him.

Horton slapped him out and he threw a punch while on his back.

His numbers have been dropping and his penalty minutes have been going up.

His on ice presence is moving toward being a goon at best and a punk at worst.  Much like Komiserak.

Schenn would be a better captain.  Armstrong would be a better captain.

To tell you the God's honest truth, I like Phaneuf as captain since I want them to lose.  The next best thing would be Kessel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I can't think of another player in recent memory who looked so good in his first couple years, and then looks so bad already.  It's remarkable how much worse his game has gotten.  And, he's only 25!  How could he be over the hill already?

Can you believe that he had a 60 point season just 3 years ago (at age 22)??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

dont really care.

a leaf freefall would be great(1st overall).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't think of another player in recent memory who looked so good in his first couple years, and then looks so bad already.  It's remarkable how much worse his game has gotten.  And, he's only 25!  How could he be over the hill already? Can you believe that he had a 60 point season just 3 years ago (at age 22)??
    Posted by Fletcher1

Right, he looks like he went from 32 to 36.

I believe he has some sort of a problem.  There just has to be something going on with him.  maybe booze or drugs.  Or maybe he has a disease and he is not telling anyone.

There just has to be a reason why.

Just 3 years ago he was crushing people with hits, I think guys were afraid/nervous with him out there, he was just that punishing.  His shot is still hard, but it was better a few years ago.

I have to admit I was thinking, wow, this guy would be great in a Bruins jersey - and today I consider him poison.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain? : Right, he looks like he went from 32 to 36. I believe he has some sort of a problem.  There just has to be something going on with him.  maybe booze or drugs.  Or maybe he has a disease and he is not telling anyone. There just has to be a reason why. Just 3 years ago he was crushing people with hits, I think guys were afraid/nervous with him out there, he was just that punishing.  His shot is still hard, but it was better a few years ago. I have to admit I was thinking, wow, this guy would be great in a Bruins jersey - and today I consider him poison.
    Posted by BadHabitude

From 20 goals as a rookie to 2 so far this year........what the fock?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain? : From 20 goals as a rookie to 2 so far this year........what the fock?
    Posted by dezaruchi

How about just last year to this year?
    12 last year, just 2 so far this year.

I just have to keep guessing as to what the problem might be.

He works out hard, but then it looks like he drinks pretty hard, too.
    (go check u-tube for that)
    So I'm wondering if it was steroid abuse.  That would make sense, he was overly aggressive (but effective) a few years ago.

Yah, wild speculation, but I maintain that there MUST be something up with this guy.

Yah, you have guys flash in the pan and then nothing, but you see that much more frequently among forwards, offensive defenseman and goalies.  He's not absolutely a stay at home defenseman type, but kind of, and I don't think I've ever seen someone of that mold go so bad so fast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I can't think of another player in recent memory who looked so good in his first couple years, and then looks so bad already.  It's remarkable how much worse his game has gotten.  And, he's only 25!  How could he be over the hill already? Can you believe that he had a 60 point season just 3 years ago (at age 22)??
    Posted by Fletcher1

And he signed a six-year contract extension with the Flames that year, reportedly worth 6.5-7 million per season, after making a little less than 1 million a year. It all went downhill from there. Coincidence?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain? : How about just last year to this year? 12 last year, just 2 so far this year. I just have to keep guessing as to what the problem might be. He works out hard, but then it looks like he drinks pretty hard, too. (go check u-tube for that) So I'm wondering if it was steroid abuse.  That would make sense, he was overly aggressive (but effective) a few years ago. Yah, wild speculation, but I maintain that there MUST be something up with this guy. Yah, you have guys flash in the pan and then nothing, but you see that much more frequently among forwards, offensive defenseman and goalies.  He's not absolutely a stay at home defenseman type, but kind of, and I don't think I've ever seen someone of that mold go so bad so fast.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Maybe the drive to get better just isn't there anymore since Burke was so quick to hand him the keys to the kingdom in Leafland.Who knows but a decline like this is awful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

...He's not absolutely a stay at home defenseman type, but kind of, and I don't think I've ever seen someone of that mold go so bad so fast.
    Posted by BadHabitude

60 points in one year? That sounds more like an offensive-minded d-man to me. Maybe the Flames thought he was the total package, maybe Burke felt so too. Right now he's overrated, overpaid and most of the time ineffective, and obviously not the right choice as team captain.

Hm, 7 million per season, team captain who obviously lacks leadership qualities - I wonder who he reminds me of?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain? : 60 points in one year? That sounds more like an offensive-minded d-man to me. Maybe the Flames thought he was the total package, maybe Burke felt so too. Right now he's overrated, overpaid and most of the time ineffective, and obviously not the right choice as team captain. Hm, 7 million per season, team captain who obviously lacks leadership qualities - I wonder who he reminds me of?
    Posted by MrHulot

You got me.Who?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

...supposedly a premier shut-down d-man with a huge slapshot and incredible workout ethics...hasn't won a thing in his professional career (except personal accolades)...wasn't even a member of his country's team when they won the World Championships...signed a big free-agent contract and his old team went to the finals without him the next year...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

...supposedly a premier shut-down d-man with a huge slapshot and incredible workout ethics...hasn't won a thing in his professional career (except personal accolades)...wasn't even a member of his country's team when they won the World Championships...signed a big free-agent contract and his old team went to the finals without him the next year...
    Posted by MrHulot

Sorry,you'll need to be more specific.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

For whatever the reason, Phaneuf, in his tenure as a Leaf, has not lived up to his advanced billing.  Those who have already mentioned his past glory with the Flames are correct in saying he's yet to consistently recapture that form. 

Its been noted whomever obtains the best player in a deal is usually regarded as the "winner."  That said, with Jamal Mayers, Matt Stajan, Nik Hagman and Ian White going the other way for Phaneuf, only Stajan and Hagman remain as Flames. 

Neither are generally regarded as having the same level of potential impact on a team as Phaneuf.  Pehaps even a sub-par Phaneuf makes Burke come out on top in this transaction only because there's always the chance he'll return to his previous standard of play.

Sections
Shortcuts