Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?

@ MrH,
    Really? You mean the guy who plays 26 minutes per game against the best the other team has to offer? The one who is a plus 19 for one of the best defensive teams in the league? The one who will end the season with about 45 points? The one I heard Patrice Bergeron say (paraphrasing) If you saw him behind the scenes you would know that he really is the true leader of this team? The one with the 106mph slapshot? The one who plays in all situations? The one whose cap hit is comparable to Phaneufs? The one who is the most physically fit player in the league?

...That guy? The one with the Norris trophy in his rack?

Do you even watch hockey or do you just read the trolls on this board? because your post is blatantly incorrect.

The Bruins without Z are just an OK club.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Is Phaneuf The NHL's Worst Captain?:
    [QUOTE]...supposedly a premier shut-down d-man with a huge slapshot and incredible workout ethics...hasn't won a thing in his professional career (except personal accolades)...wasn't even a member of his country's team when they won the World Championships...signed a big free-agent contract and his old team went to the finals without him the next year...
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]

So you're comparing him to Chara...
    I'll give you the leadership qualities since that is ALWAYS debateable. 
    At least Chara won the personal accolades, what has Phaneuf won?

Find me some clips of Chara acting like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDc2mnS48ng

Or falling down when he tried to start a fight?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8K-szxQg8

OK, and since you like to give out quiz questions, which one of these acceptance speaches is fake??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkpDxzX-Us
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Yd9I8F4QQ&feature=related

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

As I posted numerous times, I don't care if Chara breaks all ice-time records for now and forever and eventually bikes all the way to the moon without oxygen, as long as I see his face turn into a huge question mark each time the Bruins have to deal with adversity on the ice.
    Funny, though, how people seem to have that mother-like reflex when it comes to their favorite big guy being criticized. Right, I don't watch hockey at all - I only read the trolls on this board - I eat too much Italian food - I voted for Obama - I am already brain-dead, what else have you got?
    My prediction is that the Bruins will never win anything as long as Chara is "leading" the way; he's too concerned with himself, he "presided" over the worst playoff collapse in team history, and, unlike Ray Bourque, who really wanted to win a cup, he will ride out his contract and eventually retire as a Bruin who has never won a cup.

But here's a huge surprise for you: I really hope he'll prove me wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]As I posted numerous times, I don't care if Chara breaks all ice-time records for now and forever and eventually bikes all the way to the moon without oxygen, as long as I see his face turn into a huge question mark each time the Bruins have to deal with adversity on the ice. Funny, though, how people seem to have that mother-like reflex when it comes to their favorite big guy being criticized. Right, I don't watch hockey at all - I only read the trolls on this board - I eat too much Italian food - I voted for Obama - I am already brain-dead, what else have you got? My prediction is that the Bruins will never win anything as long as Chara is "leading" the way; he's too concerned with himself, he "presided" over the worst playoff collapse in team history, and, unlike Ray Bourque, who really wanted to win a cup, he will ride out his contract and eventually retire as a Bruin who has never won a cup. But here's a huge surprise for you: I really hope he'll prove me wrong.  
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]

And I'm not that big a Chara fan.

But that's off point.

Would you go as far as to say you'd prefer Phaneuf to be Bruins Captain over Chara?

I wouldn't want Phaneuf on this team in any way shape or form, much less captain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

No, I would not want Phaneuf on this team (maybe he could drive the Zamboni). Phaneuf might be more vocal than Chara; no surprise, since he's communicating in his mother tongue. But his decline is mind-boggling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]...The one I heard Patrice Bergeron say (paraphrasing) If you saw him behind the scenes you would know that he really is the true leader of this team?...
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

And what exactly would you expect Maître Bergeron to say?
    "Yes, Big Z is a nice guy, but he just doesn't have what it takes to win"?
    That - even if it was true - would be one certain way of asking for his walking papers, especially for a guy wearing an "A" on his jersey. Now Bergie is not that stupid.

[QUOTE]...The Bruins without Z are just an OK club...
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]
    Zdeno Chara is a good d-man, but he is not a great team captain - yet. And on some nights (unfortunately way too often) the Bruins with Z are even less than an OK club.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Wow, this discussion has had a lot of sniping amongst several of you.

I'm not a big fan of Phaneuf, but Calgary and Toronto are two bad situations for a young player. By all accounts, Ron Wilson has lost his room and alienated his team. Brian Burke hasn't done a good job in setting up Phaneuf to succeed either. 

My vote would be Craig Rivet in hated Buffalo. The guy is old, has been scratched a few times this season and really is the second leader on that team behind Ryan Miller.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, this discussion has had a lot of sniping amongst several of you. I'm not a big fan of Phaneuf, but Calgary and Toronto are two bad situations for a young player. By all accounts, Ron Wilson has lost his room and alienated his team. Brian Burke hasn't done a good job in setting up Phaneuf to succeed either.  My vote would be Craig Rivet in hated Buffalo. The guy is old, has been scratched a few times this season and really is the second leader on that team behind Ryan Miller.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]
    I don't doubt that Rivet has the respect of the room.I don't think Phaneuf does even though it seems Burke is trying to force them to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It's hard to comment on how they are as captains..I've never been in any of these locker rooms. To do so would make me an uneducated idiot.
    Would take Phaneuf on any team i root for any day though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]wow.possibly the stupidest post i've ever read...Tries to make a big hit and misses so he is the worst captain??? What about the big hit where he flattened the rookie, or a big hit on Chris Neil?.Or how about when he hammers Lucic all night everytime they play?..When you play like that your gonna miss siome, but to be called the worst captain, is really idiotic.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Strange conicidence.........http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/942067--dimanno-make-no-mistake-schenn-is-the-leader

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It's hard to comment on how they are as captains..I've never been in any of these locker rooms. To do so would make me an uneducated idiot. Would take Phaneuf on any team i root for any day though.
    Is it hard to comment on whether Messier or Yzerman were good captains?Or how about Doan or Morrow?I guess it's beneath a man of your considerable intelligence to comment on such trivial matters as leadership in sports.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I can find articles from the past who are not written by a chick who's never played hockey questioning as to why Zdeno Chara is the captain.

With all your free time and posts one would think you'd know something about the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I can find articles from the past who are not written by a chick who's never played hockey questioning as to why Zdeno Chara is the captain. With all your free time and posts one would think you'd know something about the game.
    Yes,one would think.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I can find articles from the past who are not written by a chick who's never played hockey questioning as to why Zdeno Chara is the captain. With all your free time and posts one would think you'd know something about the game.
    So that's what you have in response to Phaneuf's leadership being questioned in todays Toronto paper?From someone who claims to know so much about hockey that it would be impossible to lose a hockey debate,I was really expecting more from you.As far as my lack of knowledge,I'm sorry if I've let you down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]It's hard to comment on how they are as captains..I've never been in any of these locker rooms. To do so would make me an uneducated idiot. Would take Phaneuf on any team i root for any day though.

You would?  Why?  With his cap hit you think he's worth it?

OK, disregard cap hit, he's not putting up numbers.

And true, he missed a bunch of games, but he's not registering the hits like he used to.

so.....  why?

And where?  You consider him a top pairing?  3? 4? 5? 6? 7?