Is Seguin Developing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Is Seguin Developing?

This isn't an attempt to complain about Seguin or bash Claude Julien, but I watched the Oilers game last night and was so impressed with Taylor Hall's apparent confidence and strength on the puck.  He was really taking the initiative, holding the puck, and seemed like a scoring threat on most shifts.  He looks so much better already than he did at the start of the season.  I thought the same thing watching Jeff Skinner recently.

I much as I really like Seguin, I have to admit to myself that I don't see that progress in him.  He still looks timid with the puck and he gets rid of it almost immediately (which is fine when he shoots).  He seems to get outmuscled easily and relies on his linemates an awful lot to keep possesion.  I don't think he has earned the right to get a lot more playing time, but at the same time, his confidence isn't going to improve on the bench.  I was wondering what other people think about his development?

Again, I am not trashing the kid, he's just fine, but if you watch Taylor Hall he seems to be growing and improving at a much faster level then Seguin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Is Seguin Developing?

I also understand the difference between the teams -- Carolina and Edmonton can play their rookies a lot more while Boston has a deeper lineup with more veterans...but still...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I think Seguins development will improve when we get a puck moving Dman who can set up the play in the offensive zone. Seguin will get better controlling the puck. We all know he can score when he is 1 on 1. He can pass as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbw413. Show jbw413's posts

The Bruins will suffocate and hamper his development like they do every talented rookie they get into their system. Look for him to ask out of town after his rookie deal expires

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

As I said all along, Seguin should have likely gone back to junior for another season (and to the WJC) to learn how to win and really dominate as a team player.

Such a shame that he was rushed like this.

Oh, well.

Time will tell who was right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Hall and Skinner were put out there and allowed to develop and gain confidence. IDK How this cant be a knock on CJ. Seguin gets 10mins a game and is kept on a super short leash. Its no wonder he looks less confident/developed allready than the other 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

He is only 18 and is still making adjustments. He does have the most highlight reel goals on the B's. Give him more time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Also Hall was never going to Boston.

Does everybody think the B's should have drafted Skinner?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Fletch- this is what I was mentioning in another post about an unbalanced roster. Seguin needs to be centering a couple of talented wings with some size, speed and skill. The Ryder-Savard-Seguin line is moronic -that is not the way for this kid to grow and develop, and is a waste of his talent. No PP time ???
    5 centers and 2 legit top wings ain't gonna get it done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Taylor Hall only recently lost his innocence. He looked really lost until a couple of weeks ago.

The biggest difference between the three is this:

1. Hall and Skinner are let out to play with little restrictions.

2. Seguin has more veteran players to bow to.

Leave your worries at the doorstep Fletch. Seguin won't get left behind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Right now, Sequin isn't as good as advertised. Hopefully he will be in the next few years. If Ryder,Wheeler..etc... played like Sequin, the fans would be trying to trade them even more. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I agree. I think he needs time in Junior. Send him to the WJC. He'll develop, but give him time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Fletch is right but 2 things guys, one is seguin is not on a fixed line and is playing mostly with non offensive players other than ryder, who is good for this kid, once savy gets his game back Segs  confidence will grow. The other thing Hall and Skinner regardless of age are a year more experinced in Jr I beleive.
    Alot of valid comments, but give him a bit more time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

It's more of CJ style, which in my opinion is 10 years behind the times. This is a different and much more dynamic NHL . Younger players develop faster .

Coaches have to be more adaptive and willing to change their game plan on the fly. Most of the coaches have figured it out. as witnessed by the last two games the Bruins have played. The book on the Bruins is press their defense and keep them in their own end. Crash the net and watch the Bruins flounder.

It's CJ 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing?:
    It's more of CJ style, which in my opinion is 10 years behind the times. This is a different and much more dynamic NHL . Younger players develop faster . Coaches have to be more adaptive and willing to change their game plan on the fly. Most of the coaches have figured it out. as witnessed by the last two games the Bruins have played. The book on the Bruins is press their defense and keep them in their own end. Crash the net and watch the Bruins flounder. It's CJ 
    Posted by skater68

I do agree that CJ seems to have a bit of an antiquated coaching style. He seems to cram players into a system regardless of the player style. While alot of coaches use a make the best of what you got type coaching system. Where they look to play to their players strengths.

But lets not forget where the Bruins sit in the standings compared to Carolina and Edmonton.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Two different players, two different teams , in terms of style of play.. Edmonton needs players like Hall, Eberle, Cogliano to be their dominant players , the Bruins don't need Seguin to be that right now... To be honest Hall has struggled just as much as Seguin..and he gets double the ice time.. yet he only has 5 more points than Seguin.. People forget that this kid played one less year in Jr than Hall.. I think Seguin will be a special player , who is willing to learn the offense and defense side of the game..and that will go along way in his development..

Hall can free-wheel when he wants.. Seguin plays in a team structure where you have defensive responsibilities.. No surprise one is a + player and the other is a minus..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Ryder is not making Seguin look good, the other way around, Seguin is making Ryder look good.

There's no one on this team I'd rather see on a breakaway other than Seguin.  Check his shoot out goals, he doesn't just score, he buries them.

You build confidence by being placed in situation where you can prove it.  Look at what is going on in the SO, he's proved to be good at it, put in a high pressure situation like taking the 1st spot in the SO in Toronto and he responded.

You have to give this kid more ice time in different situations in order for him to grow his confidence.  That's what's going on with Hall and I believe that's why he's developing faster.

When they started out Seguin was ahead, now that Hall has gotten more ice and more responsibility, he's pulled ahead.

Right now I think Seguin is propping up Ryder.  They need to watch Seguin as he is a danger with the puck in the offensive zone, this opens space for Ryder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Hey Miller, Seguin isn't going to the WJC. Scram. These boards have enough negativity from Bs fans, we don't need your Hab negativity to go along with it.

As for Seguin, the kid doesn't have defensive responsibility down yet, he needs it in order to get more playing time as he's often out of place and gets caught chasing the puck instead of staying on his man. Seguin won't be gone after his rookie deal, he's too much of a class act to sulk his way out of town. <cough> Kessel <cough>

Plus Seguin will learn more from Savard over the next few weeks than he would at the WJC where he can get away with shoddy play. I think his production will really start to rise once Savard and Ryder are on the same page. The kid has some of the best vision I've seen and already has great hockey sense in the offensive zone. I've seen nothing to make me believe that Seguin isn't developing he just needs to bulk up and learn the defensive game more, it will come.

If anyone thought that Seguin would get 15-20 minutes a game at the beginning of his freshman season, you're out of your mind. He's being brought around slowly for development purposes, not short term but long term development. Let him learn the game at a slower pace and don't force him to learn through failure. 

Hall was a -2 last night. Sure he looked good on offense but one way play doesn't win games. The Bs have the luxury of bringing him along slowly so he doesn't get burnt out and doesn't feel like he has to carry the team. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Those are all good points Badhab and Nrguy. I see savard talking to seguin alot. Im thinking thats going to be a real good thing. Giving those two some time to gel will be better than the WJC for him. I still think that seguin could get 14mins and be fine. He should also definitely be on the PP.

Savard said that his conditioning wasnt there he just needs to remember to move his feet. Its so true, he forgets to move his feet and falls or just gets pushed off the puck. Hopefully he'll get back to gameshape soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jodawo11. Show jodawo11's posts

oh cut the crap...either you want him to develop or you don't.  You have to give a little to get a little and the only way you're going to develop is to get the playing time and gain confidence.  You learn from making mistakes and as long as this team babies their rookies, they will fail to see their real potential.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

Save your guess on who will be better.  Seguin will be a well rounded superstar in this league. Skinner and  Hall get top 6 mins not 3rd or 4th line mins.  He will become a cornerstone of the bruins future
    You can take that to the bank

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Stamkos didn't exactly light it up his rookie year either.  Fletch, give it a year. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

I don't think Seguin is propping up Ryder.   if that was the case how'd Ryder score 25 or more goals in 4 of the past 6 seasons without Seguin to prop him up?  

It would good to see Seguin get more ice time last night at over 13 minutes.   Hopefully thats a sign of thigns to come as Savard continues to get his legs under him and Seguin continues to learn.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

My only complaint about Seguin is his compete level along the boards.  He chooses not to mix it up physically, it's not like he isn't strong, he performed quite well at the combine.  He just needs to grow mentally, as he is only 18 yrs. old and playing with grown men.  Otherwise I am satisfied with his development.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Seguin is developing and is progressing. His skills are evident in his skating, shooting , passing. What seems to add negativity is Claude's system. It's easy to see that Horton hates it, and his overall game suffers by trying to adhere to Claude's defensive positioning. Seguin will progress by playing with Savard, BUT, why keep shifting the kid game to game?? He and Savvy are more comfortable with Seguin on the right wing. Moving him to left wing last night was just plain stupid. Cl;aude is the problem not Seguin, Horton etc.

Sections
Shortcuts