Is Seguin Developing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Is Seguin Developing?

CJ is doing just fine in handling the kid. He has to balance the youngster's development with trying to win some games. Putting Seguin out there for 15-18 min/game (like some posters would like) would on most nights lessen your chance of winning that particular game. If the kid is having a great game he gets an extra shift or two. By the way, he is averaging over 12 minutes/game I believe. He's getting about as much ice as he deserves right now and it's plenty to allow him to progress and develop at this point. This isn't Pat Burns giving Joe Thornton 4 shifts a game.

I think later in the season, second half sometime, Seguin's development will have earned him greater ice time and maybe even some PP time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing?:
    [QUOTE]My only complaint about Seguin is his compete level along the boards.  He chooses not to mix it up physically, it's not like he isn't strong, he performed quite well at the combine.  He just needs to grow mentally, as he is only 18 yrs. old and playing with grown men.  Otherwise I am satisfied with his development.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

MeanE - I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Mucking, grinding and hitting is not what you want Seguin to do. If you are of that mind, look elsewhere and get rid of him now.

You have a thoroughbred on your hands and you want to turn him into a beast of burden. That makes no sense any way you slice it.

I believe his development could have been handled a little differently, but the end result will be one that everyone will be happy with, and that is a better player than Hall and Skinner - which is what he is now, only he doesn't get the time to demonstrate it.

Make no mistake, Seguin is the better player of the three. It will become evident in the near future so that all of you who don't see it now will have no doubt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A lot of good points here -- much appreciated.  I think Seguin will turn out just fine too, I just thought the contrast was notable watching Hall play last night.

I think the comparison to Stamkos is a good one, because Stamkos kind of looked this way at the beginning.  God, I hope so.

I don't need Seguin to 'mix it up' but I would like to see him play a little bit more physical, stronger on his skates, just to get some more space.  He seems to fall down a lot too, with contract (like Wheeler does).  Last night I saw Hall lower his shoulder several times with the puck and at one point he ran over Andy Sutton (6'6, 245lbs).  I understand Seguin isn't a power forward, but I think he needs to maximize his space.

Still think we got the right guy in the draft, I guess I am just impatient for the progress I am seeing in other rookies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]
    I understand Seguin isn't a power forward, but I think he needs to maximize his space. Still think we got the right guy in the draft, I guess I am just impatient for the progress I am seeing in other rookies.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

That will come when he starts feeling comfortable - and that will be fairly soon.

Taylor Hall just got there (comfortable) in the past two weeks.

Once the comfort comes for Seguin, he will take this team to a level higher than 2008-09.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

We, Hab fans, have no "negativity" -- only objectivity...

Being #1 in the Northeast gives us a bird's eye view of the bigger pictures...

But the Bruins rushed this kid's development in the NHL if you want my opinion -- PC likely was in a hurry to showcase what he received in the Kessel trade...

I still think that Seguin's development would have been better served with another year of junior (and a WJC) under his belt...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Canes and Oil each have 25 points on the year.  Edmonton is the worst team in the west.  Carolina is saved by the trainwrecks that are the Leafs, Panters, Devs, and Isles from the same indignity in the east.  These teams have one goal: develop.  The Bruins have two goals, the first drastically outweighing the other: WIN HOCKEY GAMES and develop young talent.  As Seguin's +/- suggests, he is getting about the right amount of ice time to balance his mistakes and contributions in a winning environment.  He should get more PP time.

There are lots of ways to learn, and making mistakes is only one of them.  It's also not a foolproof tool - people love the line defining insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, which suggests someone isn't learning from their mistakes.  We surely can name former Bruins who went back to the same unproductive well over and over again - Steve Leach anyone?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think another year of junior does him any good.  Playing in the WJC is a different story and I can at least understand the desire for him to do so.  He needs to gain confidence playing against the best competition, not the OHL, which he has already dominated.  The WJC is a legit topic of debate, although I would side with the Bruins right now.

I can honestly say that I never pay attention to the standings until about February.  RMiller, I know you are trying to stick your finger in the eye of the other posters here, but seriously, I couldn't tell you how many points we have or how many games we've played.  Habs look good, Bruins look good.  It's December.  I see two talented but flawed teams just starting to take shape.  Why the daily updates on the standings?  Have they even played the same number of games?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Lets see the literature equation here:

4 centers bergeron savy krejci campbell - seguin = time to develop and mature

1 young center will develop in 2 yrs. = bergy krejci or savy being on the trade block at trade deadline 2 yrs from now = good draft pick or prospect

30 teams in NHL= always looking for experience center men

Conclusion = Bruins future looking bright

Catalyst ^ 2011 2 1st rd draft picks = possible 2011 trade deadline block buster deal for elite player to help Bruins in 2011 playoffs and future season.

Ingredients Zach Parise or Shea Weber or Yandle and Doan,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Is that a post from RMillerIQ87? Didn't that troll promise to leave this board if Seguin didn't go to the WJC. Is the word of the troll not good?

I'm glad I have him on ignore so I don't have to see what ignorant statement he pecked out on his mom's keyboard this time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Seguin is propping up Ryder.   if that was the case how'd Ryder score 25 or more goals in 4 of the past 6 seasons without Seguin to prop him up?   It would good to see Seguin get more ice time last night at over 13 minutes.   Hopefully thats a sign of thigns to come as Savard continues to get his legs under him and Seguin continues to learn.
    Posted by Homebrew76[/QUOTE]

Because in the years that he got 25 - look at the players around him.  If the other guys have someone else to really  worry about Ryder gets space.  Then he scores goals.

OK, maybe propping him up is the wrong phrase, Ryder can't be your "go to" guy, he is a really good "supporting scorer", but not someone you have to rely on.

More minutes for Seguin would be good, more quality situational minutes would be better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing? : Because in the years that he got 25 - look at the players around him.  If the other guys have someone else to really  worry about Ryder gets space.  Then he scores goals. OK, maybe propping him up is the wrong phrase, Ryder can't be your "go to" guy, he is a really good "supporting scorer", but not someone you have to rely on. More minutes for Seguin would be good, more quality situational minutes would be better.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

The players around him: 
    05-06  (Rookie year)   Kovalev with 65, and Koivu with 62.  Ryder 3rd with 55.
    06-07 Koivu (a linemate) with 75 pts, and Souray with 64.   Ryder 3rd with 58.

Ryder led Montreal in goal scoring with 30 goals in back to back seasons while playing on the top line for much of those seasons.   Souray was the only other Hab during those years to break 25 goals with 26 in 06-07.   Ryder often was the focus point up front in terms of being the goal scoring threat on his line.

Do I think he'll repeat that?  No.   The Bruins team is deeper all around and our points leaders this season should prove to be more productive than the Montreal players in those years.   Note though that he did average 16 min, 10 sec a game in those seasons, whereas he is down to just under 14 min a game this season, so even if he is the same player, his numbers should be lower this year with the reduced ice time.

Point is I don't think Ryder isn holding Seguin back.   Perhaps in a year or three yes if Seguin turns into the Stamkos of today, but right now, he's a pretty good linemate, being someone that came into the league and had an instant impact on his team in his rookie year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ask again in year three, not after game 26.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin is developing and is progressing. His skills are evident in his skating, shooting , passing. What seems to add negativity is Claude's system. It's easy to see that Horton hates it, and his overall game suffers by trying to adhere to Claude's defensive positioning. Seguin will progress by playing with Savard, BUT, why keep shifting the kid game to game?? He and Savvy are more comfortable with Seguin on the right wing. Moving him to left wing last night was just plain stupid. Cl;aude is the problem not Seguin, Horton etc.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

How do you know that Horton hates it?  All he's said is how happy he is playing for the Bruins.  It's on him that he dissapeared for a few games.  Come on people just keep adding your distain for the coach to the same old boring threads that the same people read and respond to anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Right now, Sequin isn't as good as advertised. Hopefully he will be in the next few years. If Ryder,Wheeler..etc... played like Sequin, the fans would be trying to trade them even more. 
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]

Maybe your expectations were too high?  He's played 26 NHL games on the third and fourth line.  What exactly did you expect? 50 goals in 38 games?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Does anyone here not think that taking 2 weeks away to play in the WJC would be a good thing?

He's playing on the 3rd or 4th line so I don't necessarily think the Bruins will miss him.  It gives the kid a once-in-a-life-time opportunity and the exposure can only contribute to his development.  He would get 1st line minutes, including powerplay.

I don't see the downside to lending him out to the word juniors.  I suppose he could get hurt, but he could get hurt walking across the street too.

Not really on topic, but it mystifies me why the Bruins wouldn't release him for 2 weeks.

What do the rest of you folks think?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Yes, I think playing 2 weeks in the WJC would be a bad thing as he would be playing with inferior players instead of learning from Recchi and Savard. Plus it improves the chances of the Bs winning since he's better than Paille or any other Providence player you have. Taking one step back in the thought that it will translate into 2 steps forward is a bit of wishful thinking. I think a lot of people that want to see him go to the WJC are saying that from a fan's standpoint because they want to see Seguin light it up in the WJC rather than a player's development standpoint. Right now, Seguin needs to learn defense, not offense.  

It mystifies me why people believe playing with inferior players for 2 weeks instead of pros would help his development. I could only see it being beneficial if the Bs weren't expected to make the playoffs and it would be several years before he made it to high stress playoff situations. 2010-11 is a learning season for Seguin since the Bs don't need him to light it up to sell tickets.

And to the point that the Bs don't know how to develop young talent - WHAT! How would you explain: Krejic, Lucic, Rask, Bergeron, Kessel, & other young players that the Bs have developed. 

There's a reason it's called "developing", it's a work in progress. Let it work. 

I see nothing that makes me think he's not developing and nothing that indicates he's not the special player we thought he was.

Lastly, there is no substitute for mature muscle. Muscle that you put on in a few months needs to strengthen and does so with time and using it. He's not natural strong but he will get stronger with work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

bluefox 70 you have no clue. JWensink is right, give him some good line-mates instead of a slug like Ryder, take the leash off a little and watch his talent and confidence take over.  I have seen improvement since the start but he needs to play and be allowed to make mistakes if he is really going to blossom.  Once Savard is in real game shape I am hoping that he and Seguin will start to be a bit of a force.  The only area that I think he needs a fair bit of improvement is winning more puck battles and he has done that a little better lately. Everything else he seems to be doing well and he just needs his line-mates and coach to support him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Taylor Seguin is an outstanding talent who also happens to be 18 years old. Relax, he is going to be fine. Anybody who thinks this kid is not as good as advertised is just wrong. Just relax - he'll be fine. We need to stop this micro analysis, give him some time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing? : How do you know that Horton hates it?  All he's said is how happy he is playing for the Bruins.  It's on him that he dissapeared for a few games.  Come on people just keep adding your distain for the coach to the same old boring threads that the same people read and respond to anyway.
    Posted by sgebhardt8[/QUOTE]
    Agree 100%.Horton's perma-smile tells me he either dosen't hate it or is a chronic weed smoker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

As Savard's ice time goes up so will Seguin's as will Tyler's point total. Me thinks Julien wants to see more confidence out of Savard before he gives him more time. As we saw last night Marc passed up 3 wide open shots because right now he's hesitant.

When Julien finally sees that Savard swagger on the half wall during the PP then Marc will take over the first unit PP Tyler's point total and PP time will both go up!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]As Savard's ice time goes up so will Seguin's as will Tyler's point total. Me thinks Julien wants to see more confidence out of Savard before he gives him more time. As we saw last night Marc passed up 3 wide open shots because right now he's hesitant. When Julien finally sees that Savard swagger on the half wall during the PP then Marc will take over the first unit PP Tyler's point total and PP time will both go up!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I'm expecting a big second half from both Savard and Seguin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Seguin Developing? : I'm expecting a big second half from both Savard and Seguin.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Where I lack confidence in other starters I do not in these two!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

I have to throw in my two cents on this one.....Seguin has complete confidence...He is simply not getting enough icetime....If he looks unsure or un-confident as some of you have said, it's because everytime he's on the ice Julien has Seguin too focused on his "D" zone coverage (heck they even have Seguin mentioning this when he's interviewed").  Come on CJ/PC you didn't get this kid for his defence.  It's not Seguin's premature development that is the problem, it's CJ's system.  And even still Seguin has put points up on the board with limited icetime and for the most part with 3rd and 4th line forwards.  They gotta let the kid loose.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Just one game with over 15 minutes of ice time and you wont believe your eyes ....but for a 1st year ..its always like that not only in Boston ...PK Subban has been a healthy scratch for the last three games in Montreal and the fans are going nuts about this ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

Sections
Shortcuts