Is Seguin in a Slump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Is Seguin in a Slump?

The Bruins are continuing to win so perhaps lost a little in the wins is that Tyler only has 1 goal and 2 assists in his last 7 games.  The mini slump started right after he won the player of the week.  I have seen a few of the games but not all of them.  Is he still playing well and just been a little snake bitten or is he not bringing the same intensity he did in the first 15 games?  Is it that they are now facing the other teams' top line?  The Krejci, Horton, Lucic line has been decent but they have not been as good as they were last year so they may be now facing the 2nd lines meaning the Bergeron line is facing the top guys. 

From a team point of view it is working well as the Bruins' top 2 lines are holding their own or better against the other teams's top players while the 3rd line is feasting on the opposing 3rd lines.  Tyler continues to lead the league in plus minus at plus 19 and his very presence gives the Bruins two top lines.  Therefore he is having an impact and making Boston a better team and giving them a better chance to win even when he is not scoring.  That being said the expectation is that your best offensive talent needs to score consistently even when facing the other teams' best.  

Of course he is still a young player and even veteran players have slumps and this by no means is a long slump, so there is no cause for alarm.  Also I am a huge Seguin fan so this is not a post to be negative about Tyler.  I am just interested to see what other Bruin fans think about his play over the last 7 games.  Is he playing at the same level as before and it is just as expected, there are going to be dry spells during the season or does he need to raise the intensity back to where it was a couple of weeks a go.  He has had 6 points against Toronto in 2 games this year so maybe getting to play them twice in the next week will be the required antidote. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Is Seguin in a Slump?

His stick work was not solid last night... I counted two or three times where the puck simply rolled off the blade ruining a decent scoring chance. I thought he looked VERY good in the defensive zone though (should make CJ proud!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

He's looked a little tentative the last three or four games to me.

In Response to Is Seguin in a Slump?:
    The Bruins are continuing to win so perhaps lost a little in the wins is that Tyler only has 1 goal and 2 assists in his last 7 games.  The mini slump started right after he won the player of the week.  I have seen a few of the games but not all of them.  Is he still playing well and just been a little snake bitten or is he not bringing the same intensity he did in the first 15 games?  Is it that they are now facing the other teams' top line?  The Krejci, Horton, Lucic line has been decent but they have not been as good as they were last year so they may be now facing the 2nd lines meaning the Bergeron line is facing the top guys.  From a team point of view it is working well as the Bruins' top 2 lines are holding their own or better against the other teams's top players while the 3rd line is feasting on the opposing 3rd lines.  Tyler continues to lead the league in plus minus at plus 19 and his very presence gives the Bruins two top lines.  Therefore he is having an impact and making Boston a better team and giving them a better chance to win even when he is not scoring.  That being said the expectation is that your best offensive talent needs to score consistently even when facing the other teams' best.   Of course he is still a young player and even veteran players have slumps and this by no means is a long slump, so there is no cause for alarm.  Also I am a huge Seguin fan so this is not a post to be negative about Tyler.  I am just interested to see what other Bruin fans think about his play over the last 7 games.  Is he playing at the same level as before and it is just as expected, there are going to be dry spells during the season or does he need to raise the intensity back to where it was a couple of weeks a go.  He has had 6 points against Toronto in 2 games this year so maybe getting to play them twice in the next week will be the required antidote. 
    Posted by huntbri

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Definitely tentative.  It seems his intensity is down.  He seems to get shy when he has to battle for the puck.  I've seen flashes of the Tyler Seguin of last year.  He seems to be not as confident as he was at the start of the season.  Hopefully a goal or two will turn that around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

hes snake bit. goalies making good saves, hitting pipes, shots getting blocked

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think his forechecking is very under rated.
    Granted, lots of Bruins are doing that very well this year, but Seguin seems to get a stick on a lot of things he shouldn't even have a crack at.  This doesn't always lead to a turnover right away, in fact most of the time it doesn't, but it causes an unclean breakout and I've noticed it leads to a turnover at middle ice.

I think his "Bergeron" effort is under rated.
    Like Bergeron he's doing a lot of stuff to keep the offense moving.

I think he's contributing, but its not showing up in goals and assists.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  I agree that defensively he has been amazing especially when compared to where he started last year.  He has become a strong player offensively and defensively.  I just want him to continue to take the steps to becoming an elite scorer in this league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

This is nothing more than the evolution of a young player, at least I hope that't it.  Where the elite differ from the good is that they bring what Tyler brought the first dozen games consistently.  That's how you put up 50.  I'm sure he is learning this, but it will take time. 
    We were very quick to announce the arrival of Tyler after a very short period of time.  This is a reality check.  There are countless talented players that have bursts of brilliance equal in length to what Tyler has just done.  Some continue to greatness some do not.  I personally think Tyler will be great.  We just need to remember it isn't a straight learning curve.  There will be dips and peaks.  This is just a dip. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Relax, he's going to be fine. Last night he had and just missed on several chances. Slumps, min slumps happen. If he needs a shake up, CJ will see to it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Players go through slumps.  Forwards can't hit the broad side of an open net, goalies can't stop a beach ball and defensemen miss every block and pinch they try.  It happens, its sports.  The goal is to make sure that not everyone on your team is slumping at once, otherwise its one of "those" games.

Kid will turn it around, he knows what he has to do, and remember guys know how fast he is so they will try to get away with as much contact as they can to slow him down.  If he is as good as we think he is or will be (which I do) he will figure out a way to get around it.  No doubt Marchand and Bergeron will also help him out, love how that line works and generates chance after chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Tyler at his worst this year is still better than him at his best last year. He's not a liability, his line is still doing well. I think he's just not "feeling it" at the moment. When you watch that line at their best it's hard to believe there will be a game where they won't score 2 or 3 goals, but slumps happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Is Seguin in a Slump?:
    I think Tyler at his worst this year is still better than him at his best last year. He's not a liability, his line is still doing well. I think he's just not "feeling it" at the moment. When you watch that line at their best it's hard to believe there will be a game where they won't score 2 or 3 goals, but slumps happen.
    Posted by OatesCam

Well said.  I haven't seen too many games where he wasn't generating chances.  They will start going in again. 
    At the start of the year I would have been ecstatic with a point a game pace.  He's still above that.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Players get snake bit at times. Look at  Horton at the start of last season. They'll start going in for him again soon enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm with BADHAB in noticing Tyler's forechecking and defensive zone play. In addition, other teams are using better players to check him and the rest of Bergeron's line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Not sure if it's a slump but last night was a nightmare. Skating, passing, shooting and puck control on pass reception -- all off from start to finish. Hopefully he's earned a free pass from CJ.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Definitely tentative.  It seems his intensity is down.  He seems to get shy when he has to battle for the puck.  I've seen flashes of the Tyler Seguin of last year.  He seems to be not as confident as he was at the start of the season.  Hopefully a goal or two will turn that around.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan

"It seems his intensity is down. He seems to get shy when he has to battle for the puck"

He's so talented, that he can actually make it appear differently - but you've nailed it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Do you remember when he scored that really weird goal against Edmonton where the Oiler d-man actually put it in his own net? Karma is just evening things out so he can torch the Leafs this week with impunity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Do you remember when he scored that really weird goal against Edmonton where the Oiler d-man actually put it in his own net? Karma is just evening things out so he can torch the Leafs this week with impunity.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

That would be sweet DC.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

No slump, just teams watching him a bit closer. Still could have had a few goals, though. Still working hard.

Leafs coming up twice this week - perfect recipe for Tyler.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

You know we are in good times when this topic is a lively discussion.  23 out of a possible 24 points and we are wondering if our 2nd year Wunderkid is in a 'mini'-slump?  Good times indeed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

These dumb posts never cease to amaze me.........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think he's learning what it is like having the other team key in on him defensively.  Neither Bergeron nor Marchand have been tearing it up (though both have looked better offensively lately, I think), so he's finding himself against top line D and defensive forward lines.  As talented as he is, that's a tough spot for a sophomore to succeed.  He still has much to learn.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Something tells me a big reason for this is the "1st" line's inability to get anything done, allowing teams to leave them alone and pair their shutdown lines on Marshy-Bergy-Segs. From everything that I've read, Krejci needs to get it going, as not only are his linemates suffering, but it feels like it's having a trickle down effect. If Krejci needs to have a seat (after this ridiculous run of points ends, of course) for a game or two to recuperate from some nagging injuries, I think that he should, so that he can get back to 100%. If that's not the case, he better pull his head out of his a** real quick. He's considered the #1 center for a reason, and needs to start playing like it.

Sections
Shortcuts