Is Sobotka really that good?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Is Sobotka really that good?

I remember him being scrappy, but didn't think anybody expected him to be "elite" as this article describes him.  Is it true?

http://thehockeywriters.com/vladimir-sobotka-return/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Is Sobotka really that good?

Seems like one of Chiarelli's moves that doesn't look good on his resume.  Seems like at the time he had to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Seems like one of Chiarelli's moves that doesn't look good on his resume.  Seems like at the time he had to go.

Since the trade:

Krejci
    Bergeron
    Kelly
    Campbell

Cup

1st place (playoff crash, yes, but that was all Pouliot's fault)

Finals

1st place by a mile in the division careening towards another Cup run.

-

I'd say Chiarelli made the right decision.

Futhermore, Sobotka is as elite as Zenon Konopka.  Both are great at faceoffs.  Sobotka's career high is eight goals.  If he's elite, Greg Campbell is a Hall of Famer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He's a good player who's having a solid season but that article is way over the top.  First they call him a power forward, hardly.  Secondly the article called him an "elite" play-maker, elite please.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

I thought the writer of this article , was talking about Sidney Crosby...nope It was about Sobotka . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

A 5'10'' power forward from the Czech Republic, hmmm...

Seriously, I think PC made a huge mistake when he gave him away. I would not hesitate to trade Jordan Caron straight up for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What a horseshit article.

"Sobotka is one of the elite players in the NHL, not because of his size and power, but because of his pound for pound strength and drive.  His ability to fight through adversity during plays and to win battles in the corner allow his teammates to find open ice, and wait for their workhorse to deliver a juicy nugget to their stick blades. Sobotka is the perfect play-maker because he sees the ice so well, and isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.  He is the first one into corners and the last to leave, most often with the puck.  His skill doesn’t stop there though as he can find the open man in a split-second with a timely, accurate pass to their stick before any opposing defender can even react."

These amazing skills, which make him one of the best in the game, have lead to his 151th league best 20 assists.  Such lofty company he keeps with the likes of Tyutin, Winnik, Upshall and Downie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

As I recall he was a cap casuality.  If you look at the lineup 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000322010.html

He was due for a raise and that team was pretty loaded.  Mark Savard was still there at the time.

Would anyone have kept Sobotka over Marchand?  I wouldn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruin4evr. Show bruin4evr's posts

Sobotka is a decent player, a good 3rd liner. I always find it funny when some of these writers make some of their statements.

Like Sobotka is always the first into the corners and most often the last to leave... and usually with the puck. If that was the case, then why would the other players leave if the puck was still in the corner?

Some of these writers should watch a few games before they put pen to paper

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:

A 5'10'' power forward from the Czech Republic, hmmm...

Seriously, I think PC made a huge mistake when he gave him away. I would not hesitate to trade Jordan Caron straight up for him.

He was 5'9" 170lbs a couple years ago, and while the B's liked his effort, they didn't have room for him:

"He's a wrecking ball, a real competitive kid," Chiarelli said. "We acquired Greg Campbell [earlier this week] and we've got some other centers coming in. Vlady, on the wing and with his size, it's not that he has difficulty, but he's had trouble adjusting. I talked to Vlady and he's happy that we're giving him a chance somewhere else. He's a good kid and I like the way he plays, and moving to another organization he'll get a better chance."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

This was a bad trade for the Bruins; Sobotka for Warsofsky.  Sobotka was/is a solid 3rd liner that can play C/W.  Has great jam in his game, very gritty.

Only fair, since the B's got Soderberg for Toivonen a few years earlier.

Would rather have Soderberg than Sobotka, so there you go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What a horseshit article.

"Sobotka is one of the elite players in the NHL, not because of his size and power, but because of his pound for pound strength and drive.  His ability to fight through adversity during plays and to win battles in the corner allow his teammates to find open ice, and wait for their workhorse to deliver a juicy nugget to their stick blades. Sobotka is the perfect play-maker because he sees the ice so well, and isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.  He is the first one into corners and the last to leave, most often with the puck.  His skill doesn’t stop there though as he can find the open man in a split-second with a timely, accurate pass to their stick before any opposing defender can even react."

These amazing skills, which make him one of the best in the game, have lead to his 151th league best 20 assists.  Such lofty company he keeps with the likes of Tyutin, Winnik, Upshall and Downie.

I mean I like Sobotka's game, but comon! This guy is sniffin glue! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to bruin4evr's comment:

Like Sobotka is always the first into the corners and most often the last to leave... and usually with the puck. If that was the case, then why would the other players leave if the puck was still in the corner?

Almost just spit my coffee picturing this happening. Last to leave. Priceless.

The writer has also been know to call Wheeler elite because, you know, he is always the first to cross the offensive blue line and last to come out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

This was a bad trade for the Bruins; Sobotka for Warsofsky.  Sobotka was/is a solid 3rd liner that can play C/W.  Has great jam in his game, very gritty.

The only problem I had was the return, PC gave away an NHL starter. Now if Chiarelli spins Warsofsky for a good player later then anyone could say it panned out. Making room for Campbell was not a bad thing, it was the return.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Water under the bridge. Not the best move Chiarelli ever made but, at the time.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The only problem I had was the return, PC gave away an NHL starter. Now if Chiarelli spins Warsofsky for a good player later then anyone could say it panned out. Making room for Campbell was not a bad thing, it was the return.

Chiarelli got Warsofsky & cap space..........

Sabotka had potential but no place for him on the Bruins lineup at centre.
    He was traded to St. Louis and is doing ok there......

Hope that someday Jordan Caron gets the same chance to develop on a team where he can flourish.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I wouldn't give up on Warsofski just yet, 3 years younger than Sobotka, 5th in plus minus in Providence and defenseman take a little longer to develop.

He might turn the corner yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

Chiarelli is always getting himself in trouble with cap sapce, he put himself there.

Sobotka is doing better than Ok. He's flourishing on a very good team.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

28 points puts him 1 shy of breaking his NHL best total and would place him 10th on the Bruins.

This guy is a stud! LMAO

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the point is that he wasn't going to be a starter.  He might not have even made the team, and it could have been at Marchand's expense if he did.  The Bruins had Savard, Krejci, Bergeron and Campbell at C going into that year, Lucic, Horton, Wheeler, Ryder, Recchi, Paille and Thornton on the wing, leaving one spot open, and they knew they were getting Seguin.  They also had some problem child who had scored at every level in Marchand.  To that point in his career, Sobotka had played 134 games, scored 6 goals, and put up 16 assists.  In 116 games, Caron has 12 goals, 15 assists.  Cap or no cap, there was no room at the inn.  I'm also guessing there wasn't a huge market for a 3rd or 4th liner who doesn't fight but yet puts up Shawn Thornton-like numbers.  Getting Warsofsky, who at least had some profile as a WJHC level player, wasn't a bad return if you're just looking to make the best deal at that moment.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

Chiarelli is always getting himself in trouble with cap sapce, he put himself there.

Sobotka is doing better than Ok. He's flourishing on a very good team.

So?  It's by design.  Would you prefer he be more adversarial in negotiations like Sinden and beat a guy's price down or deal him if he won't take a cheaper deal?  I like that he is unafraid to make moves he thinks will make the team better (taking on salary in the Horton/Campbell deal) regardless of the Cap consequences because he's confident he'll be able to minimize the impact on the team.  Use every dime and then some; make the tough choice when necessary to remain compliant.  Can't keep 'em all, and sometimes you can't maximize the return if there's no market for an asset.  Glad Vlad's doing well under Hitchcock.  He was a point producer in the A; maybe with Oshie and Tarasenko he'll be that in the NHL.  Not an opportunity he would likely have seen in Boston.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I vaugely remember the conventional wisdom story at the time was that Sobotka was traded as he was taking the blame for the Sobotka/Marc Savard Chinese Fire drill at the Boston bench that caused a Too Many Men on the ice call leading to a goal in Game 7 of the 3-0, 3-0 "uh oh" series vs Philly?

I should just look that up, but I'm too lazy right now.  Does that sound familiar?

Anyway, living 90 miles from St Louis I encounter all sorts of Blues fans. To a man they believe Sobotka is a tremendous player and are stunned that the Bruins gave him to the Blues, the same way they remain stunned they gave them Brad Boyes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

...the same way they remain stunned they gave them Brad Boyes.

What?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Did like sobotoka from first time I saw him.  Elite? No ! .. he's a good player however I felt he'd become little better gs .  It would be good to have him though

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The only problem I had was the return, PC gave away an NHL starter. Now if Chiarelli spins Warsofsky for a good player later then anyone could say it panned out. Making room for Campbell was not a bad thing, it was the return.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that he wasn't going to be a starter.   I'm also guessing there wasn't a huge market for a 3rd or 4th liner who doesn't fight but yet puts up Shawn Thornton-like numbers.  Getting Warsofsky, who at least had some profile as a WJHC level player, wasn't a bad return if you're just looking to make the best deal at that moment. [/QUOTE]

I already alluded that PC was making room for Campbell but you didn't read that. Yes you would be guessing of you think there wouldn't be a better market for a starting 3rd and 4th line NHL player. There should have been a better return than an AHL defenseman.

How much that added to the Bruins cap again falls on PC. Throwing in that Sobotka would be more valuable if he fought more says nothing to the value he had as an NHL starter and his value to the Blues. Sobotka can slot in on the 3rd and 4th line in St. Louis, that says a lot. I don't throw offensive stats onto a 4th line grinder to rate them.

Again Sobotka's value was more than a AHL defenseman.

• Sections
    Shortcuts