Is Soderberg Playing Tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Is Soderberg Playing Tonight?

This game could be the biggest game at the Garden in awhile...

With everything happening a couple days ago, Bergy and possibly Marchand coming back, and Soderberg potentially making his team debut...

Must watch for sure...

Anyways, has anybody heard anything as to Soderberg's status for tonight's game?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Is Soderberg Playing Tonight?

He was to arrive yesterday and participate in the morning skate today and CJ would decide whether to put the yeti in the lineup after that. I suspect we may not know until this afternoon or shortly before puck drop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He may need a couple of practices to "learn the system" would he not?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'm really looking forward to seeing him.    Reason to hope he could be a cheap, effective, top nine forward, maybe more.  I just hope the fan base is patient and understands both ends of the expectation factor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanneyJoyce. Show JanneyJoyce's posts

I honestly view tonights game as a continuation of Jagr and the beginning of Sodeberg's education of "the system." Get everyone healthy, see what they can do. I could care less about the score.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some reading while we wait to find out:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=666106&navid=nhl:topheads

What type of player is Bruins' Soderberg?

Boston Bruins forward Carl Soderberg is due in Boston on Wednesday after deciding last week to leave Sweden to sign a contract with the Bruins. NHL.com spoke to two sources in Sweden about what type of player the Bruins are getting, and they had vastly different opinions.

According to an NHL scout who lives in Stockholm and covers the Swedish Elite League, Soderberg gained a reputation as a power forward who struggled to leave his hometown of Malmo and never played as physical as he should have against other physical players.

"He has looked almost scared in the past when playing against physical opponents, mostly North American players," the scout said.

Niklas Wikegard, a former player and coach in the SEL who serves as a television analyst for the league, said Soderberg was slowed a few years ago by a serious eye injury that nearly ended his career. Wikegard added that Soderberg proved this season in Linkoping he can fulfill his potential as a high-scoring, physical, two-way center.

He was second in the SEL with 60 points in 54 games.

"Don't get me wrong here, he's not at Joe Thornton's level of play, but he's a Joe Thornton-type player," Wikegard said. "He's a hard-working, two-way forward. He's strong on the puck, strong on the boards, wins most of the battles, plays physically. I'm talking in the Swedish League now, not the NHL. The people that play over here have a lot of respect for him."

Wikegard warned that Soderberg lost some vision in his left eye when he suffered his injury in 2007 and as a result tends to look to his right to pass the puck off the rush.

The Swedish NHL scout said he thinks Soderberg can produce for the Bruins if he lines up with other skilled players, but he may be struggle in a physical game, especially in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"I think he's a player that you can intimidate," the scout said.

Wikegard said he believes Soderberg's age (27) and experience will help him make an immediate impact.

"He never played there [in the NHL] and the tempo is much higher, but he's not a junior coming in," Wikegard said. "He's a senior personality. He's smart. He's strong, big and he knows what he can do. With respect to the best league in the world, I would absolutely say he can come in and be a good player."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Maybe he wont intimidated anymore with players like Chara, Looch, McQuaid on his team ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

So he sounds like he will help our top 9, I'm good with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

whats to learn? just keep passing it backwards and D TO D until you turn it over.Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

hes todays skate

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

I heard on the Sports Hub Soderberg is not playing tonight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

whats to learn? just keep passing it backwards and D TO D until you turn it over.Wink

Yah making sure he helps out the D in his own zone. Watch Chris Kelly who is a master at getting below the goal line to help out. I hear Carl speaks French real well and that is taught in Swedish schools as well, Bergy should be helpful.

Sections
Shortcuts