Is the Rivalry officially dead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Is the Rivalry officially dead?

Tuned into 98.5 The Sports Hub this afternoon to listen to some pregame B's/Candiens talk.  Nope, 95% Pats. 

Pre-game reports from the Garden said the old barn was pretty quiet during the pregame skate - not normal for a B's/Habs tilt.

Finally, the Habs start shedding assets in the middle of a game with their most hated rival.

The rivary is dead.  Thank God we found Vancouver.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Is the Rivalry officially dead?

Not dead. Bruins played a very uninspired game against a team that is about as low as they can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Is the Rivalry officially dead?:
    [QUOTE]Tuned into 98.5 The Sports Hub this afternoon to listen to some pregame B's/Candiens talk.  Nope, 95% Pats.  Pre-game reports from the Garden said the old barn was pretty quiet during the pregame skate - not normal for a B's/Habs tilt. Finally, the Habs start shedding assets in the middle of a game with their most hated rival. The rivary is dead.  Thank God we found Vancouver.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

hang - I'm not sure if the Hab rivalry's dead just yet.  That organization is a Gong Show so far this year but we know all it takes is some incident or game result to get things going.  At present the Canucks have stepped in front of them in the line.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Fair enough guys, I'll modify the phrase and say the rivalry is officially on vacation until 2012-2013!

Say what you will about the proposed realignment plan, but one thing it will do for sure is maintain and establish some great rivalries. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Is the Rivalry officially dead?:
    [QUOTE]Fair enough guys, I'll modify the phrase and say the rivalry is officially on vacation until 2012-2013! Say what you will about the proposed realignment plan, but one thing it will do for sure is maintain and establish some great rivalries. 

or 2021-2022

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was extra excited to watch tonight's game, a lot more than most games.

The Pats are in the playoffs in two days.

This morning on 98.5, they had Thornton on.  Yesterday they had Chiarelli on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

thank God for Vancouver ?  Bruins play them once a season unles they meet in the final.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Even though the game was emotionally void, dull as h3ll for 2.5 periods, the Habs were injured and circling the drain, etc, it was STILL the typical one-goal game, drawn closer by a Subban cheap shot and turtle. 

I think you could see at that point, even if the rivalry is a little dormant right now, it won't take much to wake it up.

The Vancouver thing is great, but they wont play again for another calendar year, and that will be a meaningless single out of conference game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The rivalry is not dead at all.  The Habs stink.  It is a low importance mid-season game.  And the Patriots have a huge playoff game on Saturday.

As soon as the above factors change, and they will, it's back to being huge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

How is this even a legitimate question?  Were you not around for last year's playoffs?  It was as recently as that we had all kinds of heated stuff going on. Just because the Habs are playing horribly lately does not mean the rivalry is dead.  Give me a freakin break.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Just wait for the Habs to get better. Then the rivalry wil really light up again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's the Habs and Bruins - we've sucked too, but the rivalry doesn't die. The Habs vs. Bruins exists in a vaccuum. They play outside of the rest of the league. Even when one of them blows, someone steps it up. It was a 2-1 game, and you're asking if the rivalry is dead?
    Seriously? The Red Sox went a few hundred years (seemingly) between championships. Did that kill the Sox and Yankees? Please. A silly thread, that completely overstates the current state of affairs. It's the Bruins and Habs for petes sake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Is the o/p even a real bruins fan to ask such a stupid question? Even years we were horrid I always wanted to beat the habs and the game ment something to me. Just the site of that jersey and logo of the habs gets my blood boiling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Look, if the rivalry didn't die when the Habs won every single playoff series for 45 years (18 series in a row, only 4 of them going to a final deciding single game) , it's not going to die because the Canadiens are having a really, really bad single season one year removed from taking the Bruins to overtime in Game 7 of a playoff series.

Edit: misread the initial post. But this isn't really an issue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Look, if the rivalry didn't die when the Habs won every single playoff series for 45 years, it's not going to die because the Canadiens are having a really, really bad single season one year removed from taking the Bruins to overtime in Game 7 of a playoff series. What a shock this was a "topic" on a sports talk radio station, the universal bastion of intelligent conversation in our society.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    I'm hoping it's the start of many more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is the Rivalry officially dead? : I'm hoping it's the start of many more.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

You may get your wish, if the current management keeps running the team based on the Harold Ballard model.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The fact of the matter, Montreal was in the game right up to the end.  Boston had a lucky goal.  Montreal had "Subban nutty" power play goal. Price was the difference, and the Bs should still avoid this team in the playoffs.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

dead until subban threw the elbow.  i don't want another playoff series with these guys and have to drink tequila straight out of the bottle ever again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Is the Rivalry officially dead?:
    [QUOTE]Tuned into 98.5 The Sports Hub this afternoon to listen to some pregame B's/Candiens talk.  Nope, 95% Pats.  Pre-game reports from the Garden said the old barn was pretty quiet during the pregame skate - not normal for a B's/Habs tilt. Finally, the Habs start shedding assets in the middle of a game with their most hated rival. The rivary is dead.  Thank God we found Vancouver.

Playing a team once a year and once every 40 years in the playoffs is not a rivalry.

The Habs will be back, this rivarly has been going on for 100 years.  If the Habs snuck in the playoffs as the 8th seed and we were #1, I would still worry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Bruins got very lucky last night.  Two fluky goals and Montreal had plenty of chances.

That said, I can't believe there are calls to 'avoid' Montreal in the playoffs.  I hoped we got them last year and I hope we get them again.  The Bruins don't need to duck anyone.  What's better than going through your rivals in the postseason??  I want the Habs again.  High risk = high reward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Open question: 

If the Bruins had a game scheduled tonight, would you be more amped up to watch it if it were against Montreal or Vancouver?

Apologies accepted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Montreal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Vancouver.  But...what can you infer from that??  The end of a multi-generational rivalry?  

I'd be amped up to watch both -- one because it is heated right now, the other because its been heated...forever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Come on, biggest rivalry in sports!
    Last years first round so close

Sections
Shortcuts