Is There a Better 2nd Line Out There?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Is There a Better 2nd Line Out There?

While it is easy to point out the negatives from the Habs game the one thing that really struck me is how dominant the Bergeron line really is game in game out. All three are point per game players with a monster positive +/-.  In truth, they have been dominating for the last 2 seasons.

The beauty of this is that since CJ roles out his first two lines in almost equal amounts of shifts  it almost guarantees favourable mismatches against the opposing team's lower pairing D, unless they have two Dmen who can play 40 mins a night. So, is there really a better 2nd line in the NHL today?

Now, if only the bottom six could get their act together......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Is There a Better 2nd Line Out There?

JMW, well said, and the bottom six is where the focus should be. No longer can the Bruins afford to "carry" Thornton and Bourque. Neither one has NHL skills.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

If you ask me the B's 2nd line really is our 1st line. I have felt like that for the last 2 years. Bergy is such an underrated offensive player, they all look at how well his plays in the defensive zone. Bergy is the face of the org and is the best player on the B's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:

If you ask me the B's 2nd line really is our 1st line. I have felt like that for the last 2 years. Bergy is such an underrated offensive player, they all look at how well his plays in the defensive zone. Bergy is the face of the org and is the best player on the B's.

Very true...before his concussion issues he was essentially the primary B's offensive weapon. He is now an excellent mentor for Seguin who will eventually surpass him in most, if not all, aspects of the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

JMW, well said, and the bottom six is where the focus should be. No longer can the Bruins afford to "carry" Thornton and Bourque. Neither one has NHL skills.

I expect PC to address this sooner rather than later. Remember, when he picked up Kelly and Peverley it was before the deadline that year so they could be integrated into CJ's system sooner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to bogie6's comment:

I expect PC to address this sooner rather than later. Remember, when he picked up Kelly and Peverley it was before the deadline that year so they could be integrated into CJ's system sooner.

I have to think (and hoping) that some of the Bruins prospects will be on the 3rd/4th lines within the next 2 years:

• Spooner (AHL, speed and can kill penalties)
    • Koko (Last year in OHL)
    • Camara (Last year in OHL)
    • Griffiths (Last year in OHL)

I think that if PC trades for 3rd/4th line help, it will be a bridging type player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Very true...before his concussion issues he was essentially the primary B's offensive weapon. He is now an excellent mentor for Seguin who will eventually surpass him in most, if not all, aspects of the game.

I know I've said this before, but...Bergeron's concussion cost him his finishing touch.  Remember when he was a 30 goal scorer?  His two best scoring years, he had 12 and 14 PPG mostly occupying the spot where they now have Seguin.  He used to have the shot to pick the short side corner on the one-timer.  Two of his three goals the year he was concussed were PPG.  He could snipe.

In four full years since his concussion, Bergeron has 9 PPG and zip in the playoffs.  If he could finish the way he did pre-concussion, he'd have 30+ a year given the number of great chances he gets.  He was second star of the last week, and I was frustrated watching him not be able to finish a ton of other chances.  He's still a great player, and he is absolutely the key to the top six on this team, but you have to feel a little bit of what-might-have-been if not for Randy "I'm an OKC Baron now!" Jones.  Definition of a fringe player nearly ruining the career of a major trophy winner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think PC will get the player he thinks is the best fit on this team for this season.  I don't think he's going to say well, you know, Shane Doan would be a great fit on the third line and a perfect fill in on the top two lines if we need to shake things up, and he wants out of Phoenix (hypothetically here), but jeez, his contract runs three more years and I'd really like to see Spooner and Camara get a shot....  So we're not going to trade Khokhlachev and a 3rd rounder for him...(deliberate idiocy disclaimer).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I think PC will get the player he thinks is the best fit on this team for this season.  I don't think he's going to say well, you know, Shane Doan would be a great fit on the third line and a perfect fill in on the top two lines if we need to shake things up, and he wants out of Phoenix (hypothetically here), but jeez, his contract runs three more years and I'd really like to see Spooner and Camara get a shot....  So we're not going to trade Khokhlachev and a 3rd rounder for him...(deliberate idiocy disclaimer).

I have said this a few times already but I believe PC is going to go for it this season. He has the cap space (this season only) and the core. Next season will be a different team due to the constricting cap. Can't keep everyone. So this is the year.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

I have to think (and hoping) that some of the Bruins prospects will be on the 3rd/4th lines within the next 2 years:

I think that if PC trades for 3rd/4th line help, it will be a bridging type player.

WITHIN 2 YEARS ??????   Spooner is ready to play in the NHL ...the only thing is they played him in Montreal for 4 minutes and sent him back ...did the guy get a real chance ..??  Answer is NO .....I would take a chance on Spooner instead of playing Shawn (old legs) Thornton ...the kid has talent, skills , speed ...but he wont fight ...will Thornton fight ???  Therefore why keep him in the line up ?????????  I still havent figure that one out yet .... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

In response to Klaas' comment:

WITHIN 2 YEARS ??????   Spooner is ready to play in the NHL ...the only thing is they played him in Montreal for 4 minutes and sent him back ...did the guy get a real chance ..??  Answer is NO .....I would take a chance on Spooner instead of playing Shawn (old legs) Thornton ...the kid has talent, skills , speed ...but he wont fight ...will Thornton fight ???  Therefore why keep him in the line up ?????????  I still havent figure that one out yet .... 

Ever since the scott fight, has not been the same. I want to take another look at Caron and Spooner before TDL just to get one last look at Caron before giving up on him. The other prospects in their system i do not know anything about them besides  5-7 of them. I will let you guys handle that part. I agree  Stanley i just don't want to go to young on the third line come playoff time. I think PC will get a 3RD line Vet by the next two weeks i think that is the way to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chicago and that is pretty good company for the Bruins 1A and 1B lines to be in. The Hawks 3rd line dominates and there is your separation between the two clubs offensevly. Stalberg really ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm not even sure which is the first line and which is the second, but I guess it doesn't matter. They both play the same minutes. Bergeron's line is one of the best in the league, let alone best second imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yes the DK/LUCIC/HORTON  line is a great 2nd line.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

People throw this idea out here once in a while.  The line labeled the "first" line is the line that plays the most.  This year, Krejci, Lucic, and Horton are at the top of ESTOI.

Last year it was Krejci and Lucic.

Why?  Becaue they're on the first line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

The last few games it has been there only line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing some mixing of lines...Julien has talked often about not having time this year to sit and wait for things to work themselves out. I know the record on the whole is excellent, but all of us can see that there are issues with effort and focus for 60 minutes. That, and Peverly/Kelly could use a swift kick in the behind. Shake it up for a couple games and see what happens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

Absolutely agree 100%. It's an argument that I have supported for a very long time. People have forgotten, like you said, how good of an "offensive" player he was. Interesting enough, he was mostly playing the RW. For those that did not have the chance to watch Bergeron in juniors, team Canada, and pre-concussion missed out on a star in the making. The guy did it all, dangle, speed, shot (one-timers) and hit like a truck. 

The B's invested and believed in Bergeron's ability. Hence, one of the main reasons the trade of Thorton was made. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Another brilliant game by this line. Three points each. Easily the most consistent. Bergeron cracked the top 30 in points and is currently tied for 29th.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Did that game put him at a point per game?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Yes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

For both Bergeron and Marchand (who missed a game).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=BOS&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I have said this a few times already but I believe PC is going to go for it this season. He has the cap space (this season only) and the core. Next season will be a different team due to the constricting cap. Can't keep everyone. So this is the year.....

you absolutely can keep everyone next year. PC set himself up well.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And some want Seguin at center. That would push him to another line. No thanks.  

Sections
Shortcuts