Is there any way the Bruins can keep Horton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Is there any way the Bruins can keep Horton?

With the current contracts and the raise Rask will probably get next year, is it even possible that the Bruins are able to re-sign Nathan Horton?

From what I hear everyone expects him to be gone after this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Is there any way the Bruins can keep Horton?

I know of some cap space that just cleared up, just in time to extend your own guys if needed. Wonder if Horton or Rask get long-term deals sooner rather than later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

$6.3M for 2 goalies, 2 defenseman and the best-money-goal-scorer on the team. Me thinks UFA Khudobin gets poached, he's too good to take a paycut with lost of teams that need goaltending- Florida or Ottawa. PC is a big fan of Ference's so I think he stays as I don't see Trotman nor Krug ready for primetime.

Its' going to be tuff but the Bruins still have Savard's $4M as he is not going to retire, his salary drops to $5M in 2014-15. Peverley might still be a casualty...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

$6.3M for 2 goalies, 2 defenseman and the best-money-goal-scorer on the team. Me thinks UFA Khudobin gets poached, he's too good to take a paycut with lost of teams that need goaltending- Florida or Ottawa. PC is a big fan of Ference's so I think he stays as I don't see Trotman nor Krug ready for primetime.

Its' going to be tuff but the Bruins still have Savard's $4M as he is not going to retire, his salary drops to $5M in 2014-15. Peverley might still be a casualty...

Jose Theodore is playing fine in Florida and  you might want to check the Ottawa stats before suggesting they need help in net!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

This alone will likely be enough to re-sign Horton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

This alone will likely be enough to re-sign Horton.

Why is everyone worried about cap space? Horton is unlikely to expect much of a raise (if any) from the 4 per he's currently making. The team has 7 in cap space right now and will need(want?) to sign Horton, Rask, and Ference. That means they should have around 17 million to sign the 3 players and that's without even putting Savard on LTIR. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Why is everyone worried about cap space? Horton is unlikely to expect much of a raise (if any) from the 4 per he's currently making. The team has 7 in cap space right now and will need(want?) to sign Horton, Rask, and Ference. That means they should have around 17 million to sign the 3 players and that's without even putting Savard on LTIR. 

B's have just over $6 million in cap space for next year (not including Savard) to sign the players you mention. Not nearly enough. You are right in that Horton will not likely get any kind of raise due to his concussion issues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

B's have just over $6 million in cap space for next year (not including Savard) to sign the players you mention. Not nearly enough. You are right in that Horton will not likely get any kind of raise due to his concussion issues.

The cash the players currently make also comes off the books though right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Its already off in Capgeeks numbers. Check it out:

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Roster of 18 already signed, $6,336,905 in cap space available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Its already off in Capgeeks numbers. Check it out:

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Roster of 18 already signed, $6,336,905 in cap space available.

Thanks JM. I actually didn't realize the cap was dropping by so much. That 6 million makes quite a difference.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Jose Theodore is playing fine in Florida and  you might want to check the Ottawa stats before suggesting they need help in net!

I was thinking more about Anderson's age and the future for Ottawa. Theodore has been very streaky and hasn't really proved he can carry a team plus his GAA is 3.32 and his save %.896...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Savard can be placed on ltir along with Thomas off the books. I'd say the bruins have enough to make a decent deal with Horton work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Timmy Thomas just solved the problem. Great save Timmy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thanks JM. I actually didn't realize the cap was dropping by so much. That 6 million makes quite a difference.

No worries Dez. Cheers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

To keep Horton the Bruins will need to trade Kelly or Peverly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

The bs if they put savard on ltir would have plenty of money too sign Horton. They would also be able to give rask a raise and resign ference at his current contract. It all hinges on putting savard on ltir. The new cap max is funny though because there are at least 5 teams that will have to dump huge contracts to get down to the max limit. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

The bs if they put savard on ltir would have plenty of money too sign Horton. They would also be able to give rask a raise and resign ference at his current contract. It all hinges on putting savard on ltir. The new cap max is funny though because there are at least 5 teams that will have to dump huge contracts to get down to the max limit. 

What are you going to  pay them to make it work?  There is around 11.5 million left with Savard on LTIR.  They need to sign 2 goalies (Rask and backup) Horton and Ference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

In response to heyoo's comment:

What are you going to  pay them to make it work?  There is around 11.5 million left with Savard on LTIR.  They need to sign 2 goalies (Rask and backup) Horton and Ference.

It's going to be real tight. 

Tuukka - $4-5

Horton - $4-6

Ference - $2-3

Backup G - $1

At the low end, it works but the Bs have little room to add spare parts. At the high end, Horton is gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Savard can be placed on LTIR, but will that be part of the operating budeget through 2016-17?  Was done in 2010-11, was not done last year.

In these type of discussions, we often add in the "Saverd to LTIR" frees up $4M, but only if the team is willing to operate $4M over the cap.  Not sure that is a slam dunk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Agree with that, and would also add Kelly & Boychuk to the potential casualty list.  Those $3-3.5M dollar deals for 3rd-liners will be tough to justify with the new/lower cap.  Hard to believe that JB is the B's 2nd highest paid d-man.  Must just be that PC got Seidenberg at a good number, but $3.37 seems too high for him with the new cap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, the simple answer is "there are lots of ways."  Make other trades is the big one.  Savard to LTIR is pretty much a foregone conclusion.  I don't think there was a deliberate decision that they couldn't do it last year, but it's not free money, right?  I can't remember the exact details, but on LTIR isn't the same as just deleting the cap hit.  So you don't do it until or unless you've used every other dime.  The deal that would have triggered that never happened last year, and so they didn't put Savard on LTIR.

Kelly and Boychuk are probably a bit rich with a declining cap.  They would be targets to move if you wanted to keep NaHO (what do you call that, Dr CC?) but moreso if you believed they could be replaced by Spooner and another rook - someone with a rookie cap hit.  This is where the lack of draft success is starting to limit their options.  Or, if you look at it another way, now's the time for a Spooner or a ... Sauve? ... player with top 6 aspirations to make NaHO's departure tolerable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Agree with that, and would also add Kelly & Boychuk to the potential casualty list.  Those $3-3.5M dollar deals for 3rd-liners will be tough to justify with the new/lower cap.  Hard to believe that JB is the B's 2nd highest paid d-man.  Must just be that PC got Seidenberg at a good number, but $3.37 seems too high for him with the new cap.

If $3.37M is too high, what would be more reasonable?

He plays over 20 minutes a game and does so without Chara as his partner.

The Kings pay Scuderi and Mitchell more than this.

Tampa has five defenseman earning more than this.

Montreal's has three.

I don't feel like going through all of the teams, but it looks like many (if not most) teams pay their #3 minutes man on D more than the B's are paying Boychuk.

If Chiarelli didn't suck at drafting, there would be more guys in the bottom six from Providence.  Chris Kelly would still have his job, but Peverley sure wouldn't. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

If $3.37M is too high, what would be more reasonable?

He plays over 20 minutes a game and does so without Chara as his partner.

The Kings pay Scuderi and Mitchell more than this.

Tampa has five defenseman earning more than this.

Montreal's has three.

I don't feel like going through all of the teams, but it looks like many (if not most) teams pay their #3 minutes man on D more than the B's are paying Boychuk.

If Chiarelli didn't suck at drafting, there would be more guys in the bottom six from Providence.  Chris Kelly would still have his job, but Peverley sure wouldn't. 

Seidenberg is a better player @ $3.25M per

Not a ton of daylight between JB and Ference ($2.25M per) or McQuaid ($1.57M per) in terms of value, but material difference in cost.  Using other team's approach on spending is one way of looking at it, another way might be to look at the value of the player to your team.  If I am faced with the question, who is more valuable to the B's between JB and Horton, I would suggest that NH is more valuable and harder to replace.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not a ton of daylight between JB and Ference ($2.25M per) or McQuaid ($1.57M per) in terms of value, but material difference in cost.  Using other team's approach on spending is one way of looking at it, another way might be to look at the value of the player to your team.  If I am faced with the question, who is more valuable to the B's between JB and Horton, I would suggest that NH is more valuable and harder to replace.

I don't think it would ever come down to a pick 'em between Boychuk and Horton.  If they needed the $X cap space, they have other players they could move first.

McQuaid's contract is gold right now, as is Seidenberg's.  I don't think Boychuk is overpaid as much as those guys are underpaid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In terms of $65,000,000 (or whatever the cap will be), $120,000 isn't a concern.

Sections
Shortcuts