Is there any way the Bruins can keep Horton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Is there any way the Bruins can keep Horton?

I'm not giving rask 4-5 million per.  I don't like throwing that kinda money on a tender.   Seidz is very important.  AF can be replaced With cheaper option.  Horton can be replaced as well.  I'm not giving him a long term deal with his health.   

New cap era.  It's gonna make a big difference.  That's why a guy like ST should be replaced with a Lane.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

$6.3M for 2 goalies, 2 defenseman and the best-money-goal-scorer on the team. Me thinks UFA Khudobin gets poached, he's too good to take a paycut with lost of teams that need goaltending- Florida or Ottawa. PC is a big fan of Ference's so I think he stays as I don't see Trotman nor Krug ready for primetime.

Its' going to be tuff but the Bruins still have Savard's $4M as he is not going to retire, his salary drops to $5M in 2014-15. Peverley might still be a casualty...

Agree with that, and would also add Kelly & Boychuk to the potential casualty list.  Those $3-3.5M dollar deals for 3rd-liners will be tough to justify with the new/lower cap. 

If I have to choose or i'm going to think like Julien, I want to keep the better defensive center and that is Kelly. Then to replace Peverley I look at Spooner, KoKo or Sauve (probably not in PCs plans anymore). As of today I don't think Bourque has "IT".

If PC brings in a 3rd line winger that is not an expiring contract then that's "mo money, mo problems" for this October. And oh yah Horton has to be kept no matter what. What does Nathan's agent think he can fetch ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

$6.3M for 2 goalies, 2 defenseman and the best-money-goal-scorer on the team. Me thinks UFA Khudobin gets poached, he's too good to take a paycut with lost of teams that need goaltending- Florida or Ottawa. PC is a big fan of Ference's so I think he stays as I don't see Trotman nor Krug ready for primetime.

Its' going to be tuff but the Bruins still have Savard's $4M as he is not going to retire, his salary drops to $5M in 2014-15. Peverley might still be a casualty...

Agree with that, and would also add Kelly & Boychuk to the potential casualty list.  Those $3-3.5M dollar deals for 3rd-liners will be tough to justify with the new/lower cap. 

If I have to choose or i'm going to think like Julien, I want to keep the better defensive center and that is Kelly. Then to replace Peverley I look at Spooner, KoKo or Sauve (probably not in PCs plans anymore). As of today I don't think Bourque has "IT".

If PC brings in a 3rd line winger that is not an expiring contract then that's "mo money, mo problems" for this October. And oh yah Horton has to be kept no matter what. What does Nathan's agent think he can fetch ?

You ready to go long term with that head.  He's gonna want at least his 4 million he's getting now.  I'd rather keep peverly and move him up to the top two lines.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

You guys are all talking as if Horton has more money coming his way, but I don't see that happening. Anyone hitting the open market is going to get a big ol bucket of cold water in the face. Teams need to shed contracts and players, and everyone will be looking for value over strict talent. The Bs could basically re-sign Horton at his current amount or even a bit less and it's just about the best he's going to get offered from anyone, especially given his health.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

You guys are all talking as if Horton has more money coming his way, but I don't see that happening. Anyone hitting the open market is going to get a big ol bucket of cold water in the face. Teams need to shed contracts and players, and everyone will be looking for value over strict talent. The Bs could basically re-sign Horton at his current amount or even a bit less and it's just about the best he's going to get offered from anyone, especially given his health.

There are plenty of teams with a lot of cap space that could use a player like Horton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I am not sure about re-signing Horton.  There are a couple of power forwards that I might want instead that are impending free agents in Ryan Clowe and David Clarkson.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't think Horton is going to expect another 4 & 4 deal. 2.5 at 3 yrs is the max I'd give him with his concussion issue's. I think the B's need to keep the guy who's scored 3 game winners in his one & only Stanley Cup play-off.2 of them in O.T & the other may as well of been. The record for most game winners in one play-off is 6.  I hated Claude Lemieux, but he was a play-off beast! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

There are plenty of teams with a lot of cap space that could use a player like Horton.

Even for next year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

If PC finds himself in a pinch, the most realistic option would be letting Ference walk I think...

Ference is a phenomenal guy in the locker room and in the community, but is limited offensively and undersized defensively...

I think he would be the easiest to replace should PC not be able to re-sign everyone...

Also, when caps go down, salaries go down or get scaled back...

just because a team has cap space doesn't mean they will give a guy like Horton 5-6 mil...

That's just stupid...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Starting off with a big caveat of: Im not exactly sure how it works. What also has to be included in either this year's cap or next year's cap is bonus money for players still on their rookie contract. Eg. Seguin, Spooner, Hamilton
    If Im' understanding the process clearly, Im thinking that there will have to be a decision of how to use this year's "Thomas Money", to pay the rookie bonuses this year and forgo an "Iginla" type signing for the playoffs or go for broke this year and toll the bonus to next year.

Either way.. thanks for the memories and Cup Timmy and LET'S GO BRUINS!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't think Horton is going to expect another 4 & 4 deal. 2.5 at 3 yrs is the max I'd give him with his concussion issue's. I think the B's need to keep the guy who's scored 3 game winners in his one & only Stanley Cup play-off.2 of them in O.T & the other may as well of been. The record for most game winners in one play-off is 6.  I hated Claude Lemieux, but he was a play-off beast! 

Ya horton is going to take 2.5 when you paid scrubs like pevs and kelly in the 3mil range. Keep dreaming pal...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

There is around 11 mil in caproom plenty money too sign them.

rask 4.5mil

horton 4mil

backup g-1mil

Thats 9.5mil folks ference is the odd man out if he wont take a discount to stay in town we have guys like krug that could be cheaper alternatives. But like i said before there is going to be alot of teams that will struggle to make the cap max, dont understand why the owners did it too themselves. Flyers, canucks, blackhawks, sharks, rangers, penguins. And thats just a quick list the new cap max will break some teams back. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

There is around 11 mil in caproom plenty money too sign them.

rask 4.5mil

horton 4mil

backup g-1mil

Thats 9.5mil folks ference is the odd man out if he wont take a discount to stay in town we have guys like krug that could be cheaper alternatives. But like i said before there is going to be alot of teams that will struggle to make the cap max, dont understand why the owners did it too themselves. Flyers, canucks, blackhawks, sharks, rangers, penguins. And thats just a quick list the new cap max will break some teams back. 

Rask will probably get more than that if he keeps playing how he is. There is a shortage of quality goalies out there which will drive the price up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Even for next year?

Yes. Teams will be trying to hit cap floor. Similar to Florida last year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Of course, Horton may want to stay on a perpetual contender.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Of course, Horton may want to stay on a perpetual contender.....

Yeah that happens a lot in sports.  Considering his head issues he's going to the highest bidder.  He has a cup ring.   Plus his amazingly hot wife is from Florida I believe so I could see a warm location.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Sorry for sarcasm.  Wasn't meant at you.  Just that greed rules.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sorry for sarcasm.  Wasn't meant at you.  Just that greed rules.  

No worries.....one must always follow the whims of the hot wife anyway (Pronger?)....:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Even for next year?

Yes, and not just Cap floor teams. For example, Mark Chipman has said that the Jets will be a cap team next year or close to it. They've got over $30 million in cap space for next year. There's no way a team like them wouldn't be willing to take a look at Horton.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ya it all comes down to whether Horton wants to stay or not. I just think it is crazy some of the salaries we gave out recently knowing that the cap being lower was a good possibility. Pevs 3.25, Kelly 3, Marchand 4.5, even seguin and Lucius new contracts then boychuk. We overpaid at least four players and now this season and next it is going to be tough not to let a couple guys go.