Is there truly open competition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Is there truly open competition?

In response to OatesCam's comment:

It's an open competition with the qualification that the team is looking at the organization as a whole, not just for one game or one season.  A player that is good may not make the team because it is in the best long-term interest of the team for him to wait a year or for the player himself; but building the best team possible is still the goal.

Some players may get a bye based on other factors such as fan interest in a 2nd overall pick.  However, I would argue that Tylers Seguin had already dominated Junior and had nothing to gain by going back while Spooner had done nothing of the sort.  The team doesn't do their selection based soley on a traiing camp.  That would be stupid.

There is also politics and nepotism involved.  I've encountered countless players who were given breaks ahead of others due to family or friend connections.  But that also has its limits as the decision-makers want to win above all else.  We saw both sides of this with Chris Bourque.

With the Bruins under current management we have seen players push their way on to the team and push other players out frequently.  Guys like Lucic and Marchand have forced playing time and pushed out established vets.  Guys like Seguin or Hamilton may get playing time they don't necessarily desrve at the moment, but its for the long-term good of the club to get these clearly talented players adapted to the NHL as soon as possible.  The current Bruins offer honest opertunity as much or more than any other team in the league.

Awesome post, well said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

It's an open competition with the qualification that the team is looking at the organization as a whole, not just for one game or one season.  A player that is good may not make the team because it is in the best long-term interest of the team for him to wait a year or for the player himself; but building the best team possible is still the goal.

Some players may get a bye based on other factors such as fan interest in a 2nd overall pick.  However, I would argue that Tylers Seguin had already dominated Junior and had nothing to gain by going back while Spooner had done nothing of the sort.  The team doesn't do their selection based soley on a traiing camp.  That would be stupid.

There is also politics and nepotism involved.  I've encountered countless players who were given breaks ahead of others due to family or friend connections.  But that also has its limits as the decision-makers want to win above all else.  We saw both sides of this with Chris Bourque.

With the Bruins under current management we have seen players push their way on to the team and push other players out frequently.  Guys like Lucic and Marchand have forced playing time and pushed out established vets.  Guys like Seguin or Hamilton may get playing time they don't necessarily desrve at the moment, but its for the long-term good of the club to get these clearly talented players adapted to the NHL as soon as possible.  The current Bruins offer honest opertunity as much or more than any other team in the league.

Great post OC. All good points and very well put. Bravo!

Unlike u douchenozzle, he contributes with thoughtful discussion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Thanks gents.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Great post OC. All good points and very well put. Bravo!

Unlike u douchenozzle, he contributes with thoughtful discussion.

When do you plan to start. Shortly after you grow up I suppose. Oh well, I hope someone asks you to prom.

Sections
Shortcuts