Is This a Clean Hit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Is This a Clean Hit?

Cooke for one, Avery for another, and on any given night some stupid and heat of the moment act is prevalant.  Shanahan has his hands full right now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cooke for one, Avery for another, and on any given night some stupid and heat of the moment act is prevalant.  Shanahan has his hands full right now. 

[/QUOTE]

Avery really had some skill and didnt take runs.  He was a super pest.  Cooke is for sure and therr are lots of others.  But a guy like clutterbuck is a pure nhl hitter.  I believe the overall skill is based on a skating league.  Skating is better.  But the game has also opened up.  go watch some vintage 80s.  Players water skied on each other with all the hooking.  Players today cant pin a guy so there is constant motion.  Angling a guy out to pin him was common.  Now its a penalty.   Dmen cant do this so now you get more shoves.   No holding up means dmen get creamed.  All these rule changes were made to make the game faster.  But it a double edged sword bc the injury levels are high.  

a guy like cooke would have been murdered back in the day.  Messiers elbow would have broken cookes nose.  Kocur would have racked his nose with a stick.  Domi would have sucker punched him( right ulfie).  Players took care of those guys and they didnt last.   

To me the best hockey ever from what i can say i watched was the 80s.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Five for Garbut, two for Grabner.  Shaking my head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Five for Garbut, two for Grabner.  Shaking my head.

[/QUOTE]

I stopped trying to figure out how they determine the length a long time ago. Crazy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Good analysis Shupe,  McQuaid anwsered the bell last night.  Why were there hockey brawls in the 70s?, when goons continued with NHL retribution.  Wensink would have handled Scott.  Certainly no one should post argue that Eriksson to keep his head up when skating through the middle of the ice with the predatory player like Scott on the ice.  The Buffalo "goonie" should be suspended longer than Garbutt.  10 to 20 games. 

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Avery really had some skill and didnt take runs.  He was a super pest.  Cooke is for sure and therr are lots of others.  But a guy like clutterbuck is a pure nhl hitter.  I believe the overall skill is based on a skating league.  Skating is better.  But the game has also opened up.  go watch some vintage 80s.  Players water skied on each other with all the hooking.  Players today cant pin a guy so there is constant motion.  Angling a guy out to pin him was common.  Now its a penalty.   Dmen cant do this so now you get more shoves.   No holding up means dmen get creamed.  All these rule changes were made to make the game faster.  But it a double edged sword bc the injury levels are high.  

a guy like cooke would have been murdered back in the day.  Messiers elbow would have broken cookes nose.  Kocur would have racked his nose with a stick.  Domi would have sucker punched him( right ulfie).  Players took care of those guys and they didnt last.   

To me the best hockey ever from what i can say i watched was the 80s.  

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:[QUOTE]

Five for Garbut, two for Grabner.  Shaking my head.[/QUOTE]

So I guess Eriksson should not have had his head down eh ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hangnail's comment:[QUOTE]

Five for Garbut, two for Grabner.  Shaking my head.[/QUOTE]

So I guess Eriksson should not have had his head down eh ?

[/QUOTE]

Whats your point?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A million differences between the Garbutt hit and the John Scott one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There is no apples to oranges whatsoever in the two hits. They were both predatory and now that one was done to a Bruin there needs to be justice!

Hypocrisy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

There is no apples to oranges whatsoever in the two hits. They were both predatory and now that one was done to a Bruin there needs to be justice!

Hypocrisy!

[/QUOTE]

You're turning into Stanley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Didn't think you would have an explanation of "apples to oranges".

Both predatory, both were sought out hurt and both had the same result.

Good thing the the Bruin stayed classy and didn't take your advice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

Hypocrisy!

[/QUOTE]

Here's a few differences:

John Scott makes principle contact to the head, like targeting.  He gets almost nothing but Eriksson's head.  Garbutt gets almost exclusively the body on Penner.  Upon watching the replay, it appears that his shoulder may have gotten Penner's chin too.  Scott's hit: 80% head, 20% body.  Garbutt's hit 90% body, 10% head.  That's the difference between targeting and not.

John Scott hits Eriksson late and blindside.  Garbutt is not late, and hits Penner directly from the front.

Eriksson does nothing to put himself in a vulnerable position and would not be prepared to get hit there from the blindside.  Penner does everything to make himself vulnerable -- cuts to the middle of the ice, in the zone, with the puck, with his head down (you're always going to get hit there).

(Did you see that Kronwall agreed with the notion that McLeod's hit was mostly his own fault?  I know Shanny disagreed, obviously, but I saw it the same way Kronwall did))

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

Didn't think you would have an explanation of "apples to oranges".

Both predatory, both were sought out hurt and both had the same result.

Good thing the the Bruin stayed classy and didn't take your advice.

[/QUOTE]

I think I've explained my position on the 2 hits in multiple posts and also stated I'm fine with how the B's handled things last night.  Stop being a whiney old man and start your GDT.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Now that is a Bruin is the difference. 

What a child. Your to stupid to insult me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, we'll just agree to disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

*You're.

*Too

They are two vastly different hits. Playing willfully ignorant isnt make your point or position on this any better.

The Penner hit was pretty bad, though some blame goes on Penner.

Scott went right for the head,blindside, and late.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[QUOTE]There is no apples to oranges whatsoever in the two hits. They were both predatory and now that one was done to a Bruin there needs to be justice! [/QUOTE]

Here's a few differences:

John Scott makes principle contact to the head, like targeting.  He gets almost nothing but Eriksson's head.  Garbutt gets almost exclusively the body on Penner.  Upon watching the replay, it appears that his shoulder may have gotten Penner's chin too.  Scott's hit: 80% head, 20% body.  Garbutt's hit 90% body, 10% head.  That's the difference between targeting and not.

John Scott hits Eriksson late and blindside.  Garbutt is not late, and hits Penner directly from the front.

Eriksson does nothing to put himself in a vulnerable position and would not be prepared to get hit there from the blindside.  Penner does everything to make himself vulnerable -- cuts to the middle of the ice, in the zone, with the puck, with his head down (you're always going to get hit there).

I know Shanny disagreed, obviously, but I saw it the same way Kronwall did)) [/QUOTE]

I disagree that Penner looking down at the puck or cutting to the middle is "putting himself in a bad position" when Garbutt has already made his decision to make a B line to Penner. Garbutt also cut in to make sure he got his hit off to the front. Then jump to get more contact to follow through for the hit. Where as Scott doesn't have to jump.

I see your points and am not ignoring them. The end result is, I think were we can agree, is no good for either they were both predatory.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:[QUOTE] Now that is a Bruin is the difference. 

What a child. Your to stupid to insult me.[/QUOTE]

Whatever, we'll just agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

I've been called Stanley and had to laugh. Well played!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, these are similar:

Embedded image permalink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, these are similar:

Embedded image permalink

[/QUOTE]

I think loui jumped and should have gotten 2 minutes   Scott is a nice man.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I know, shupe.  I mean, he sorta feels bad about the whole thing!  No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know, shupe.  I mean, he sorta feels bad about the whole thing!  No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

[/QUOTE]

Eine kleine nachtmusik.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

How can one watch a video clip and understand intent.  No intention is as arbitary as calling the hit predatory.  In my opinion nonetheless the hits were blindside hits and predatory.  I understand the argument of player responsibiltiy of not placing himself in a vulnerable position btw.  

Serenade this! Hehe

Sections
Shortcuts