Is this crazy talk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Is this crazy talk?

Thinking way outside the box here.

Considering many factors (RFA status, team needs, motivation for a shake up), I just envisioned a trade that I am am not even sure I would consider but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Here you go:
    To Columbus:  Krejci, Rask and a pick or two (1st and/or a 2nd)
    To Boston:  Rick Nash

Both Krejci and Rask are RFA's and combined will probably come in around the same cap hit as Nash.  Columbus is starving for a starting goalie and might be getting to the point of considering a major shake up (ala Bruins trading Thornton).  Several valuable assets (long term) going to Columbus which could make them better in the long run.

Nash gives Boston that legit #1 centre.  Nash as a Bruin?  Wow!

Again...is this crazy, dreamer talk?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Is this crazy talk?

Not in a million years do they move Nash.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nash isnt a center either.   They also have Mason locked up.  Nash is also a franchise world class elite player on every level. 
    Start with Seguin and throw in Marchand with a few 1st rounders and you might get them to answer the phone the next time. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ps.  go back in the box

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

WE WON THE CUP WITH KREJCI YOU MORON. WHAT HAS NASH EVER DONE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Yes it is crazy talk.

Nash is about as physical as Kaberle/Wheeler.  He's not a real center, they keep playing him there because the rest of the top forwards they've had are worse at center than he is. And they have Jeff Carter to play center there now, and he's gonna be given at least a year to get comfortable in the system. I don't see any centers worth persuing who are as good as Krejci (who I like but don't love.) and can't really think of any that might be a good fit.

I'd honestly rather swing for the fences and grab Iginla or even Alfredsson if it could be done without emptying the farm system, either should be good for at least two more years in Boston.

In Response to Is this crazy talk?:
    [QUOTE]Thinking way outside the box here. Considering many factors (RFA status, team needs, motivation for a shake up), I just envisioned a trade that I am am not even sure I would consider but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Here you go: To Columbus:  Krejci, Rask and a pick or two (1st and/or a 2nd) To Boston:  Rick Nash Both Krejci and Rask are RFA's and combined will probably come in around the same cap hit as Nash.  Columbus is starving for a starting goalie and might be getting to the point of considering a major shake up (ala Bruins trading Thornton).  Several valuable assets (long term) going to Columbus which could make them better in the long run. Nash gives Boston that legit #1 centre.  Nash as a Bruin?  Wow! Again...is this crazy, dreamer talk?
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Amzing how everyone forgets John Casey, Daniel Berthiaume, John Blue, Blaine Lacher, Matt Delgudice, John Grahame, Hannu Toivenen, Vincent Riendeau, Craig Billington, Peter Skudra, Kay Whitmore, Rob Tallas, Jeff Hackett, Manny Fernandez and co. Good goalies are hard to come by, trading Tuukka is a terrible idea. Bruins future is so solid why would anyone want to mortgage that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

So how crazy is it when some say Columbus would never do it and others say the Bruins shouldn't do it because Rask is the future?  To me you gotta give to get and if Rask and Krejci were the peices needed to pry Nash away, I think I would consider it.  Nash at 27 has allot of future left as well and would be be best player in the deal.  With TT in place, the B's would still have another 2-3 years to try and figure out his replacement.

I also don't understand why Seguin and Marchand are a better package than Krejci and Rask, especially when Columbus is struggling so much in net.  All these players are young with upside.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No way that trade gets done without Hamill..

October 14th, 4 games in and we've already had a report card and our first elite player comin to boston trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is this crazy talk?:
    [QUOTE]So how crazy is it when some say Columbus would never do it and others say the Bruins shouldn't do it because Rask is the future?  To me you gotta give to get and if Rask and Krejci were the peices needed to pry Nash away, I think I would consider it.  Nash at 27 as allot of future left as well and would be be best player in the deal.  With TT in place, the B's would still have another 2-3 years to try and figure out his replacement. I also don't understand why Seguin and Marchand are a better package than Krejci and Rask, especially when Columbus is struggling so much in net.  All these players are young with upside.
    I don't think either move would help Boston. I see both proposals as cases of moving 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Nash would have to outscore DK by a wide margin to make up for losing Rask too. Seguin and Marchand for him makes no sense whatsoever to me. Those 2 are much youngr and should be able to combine for more offense than Nash would bring in return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]Amzing how everyone forgets John Casey, Daniel Berthiaume, John Blue, Blaine Lacher, Matt Delgudice, John Grahame, Hannu Toivenen, Vincent Riendeau, Craig Billington, Peter Skudra, Kay Whitmore, Rob Tallas, Jeff Hackett, Manny Fernandez and co. Good goalies are hard to come by, trading Tuukka is a terrible idea. Bruins future is so solid why would anyone want to mortgage that?
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree.  Your list is an example of how good goalies were hard to find specifically for the Bruins and the management at the time.  You also forget that sieve Jim Carey and the ghost of Bill Ranford.  Philly has an even bigger list of crap tenders over the same time period.  

With 30 starters in the league and a handful of backups that might be good enough to start (ex: Rask and Schneider) finding a capable replacement for TT in a few years is not impossible knowing there might never be another TT and Rask might just end up being a typical solid starter like the top 15 or 20 guys in the game today.

Or Rask could end up being our next Vezina winner!  Who knows but this is fun isn't it?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Is this crazy talk?:
    [QUOTE]Thinking way outside the box here. Considering many factors (RFA status, team needs, motivation for a shake up), I just envisioned a trade that I am am not even sure I would consider but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Here you go: To Columbus:  Krejci, Rask and a pick or two (1st and/or a 2nd) To Boston:  Rick Nash Both Krejci and Rask are RFA's and combined will probably come in around the same cap hit as Nash.  Columbus is starving for a starting goalie and might be getting to the point of considering a major shake up (ala Bruins trading Thornton).  Several valuable assets (long term) going to Columbus which could make them better in the long run. Nash gives Boston that legit #1 centre.  Nash as a Bruin?  Wow! Again...is this crazy, dreamer talk?

Get back inside the box, misterpaulo. Then you'll see the Bruins have all they need to make this a special season, without making any trades.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is this crazy talk? : Get back inside the box, misterpaulo. Then you'll see the Bruins have all they need to make this a special season, without making any trades.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    Just imagine if the B's hadn't won the Cup. Yeesh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yes it is crazy talk. Tim Thomas may have another good year, but Rask could have a better year and many more to follow. Rather than conjure up mega trades, why not look at where opportunities lie without disrupting the team that did win the cup. Lucic/Kreji/Horton are young and have demonstrated abilities that are envied; Bergeron and Marchand complement each other, and Claude needs to find out if Peverly/Pouliot or Caron is the best fit on the right side. Seguin as center is a great start to an exciting 3rd line, but how do they fill it out? Kelly has speed and defense, but can't seem to finish those neat passes; Maybe Peverly or Pouliot is a better fit ??  As noted elsewhere, Kelly, Paille, and Campbell all have the same skills on defense, do the Bruins need all three?? Thornton has become a fan favorite, just like Rocky, but this is NHL hockey not boxing. Consider a 4th line of Kelly/Campbell.Caron; all three are strong, can skate, and play defense to shut down other team's top lines. What is best for the Bruins ? a shut down 4th line or a "rock" star ??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Neither team should/would do that trade.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]Neither team should/would do that trade.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I don't get it? It seems that in trades there are winners and losers so to say that neither team should/would go for it somehow implies that it makes both teams worse.  I'm not completely sold on it either but at the same time, if they would do it, I think it does make some sense for the Bruins.

So Nash isn't a center -- even better, without Krecji, we still have 4 centers on the team (Seguin, Bergeron, Kelly, Campbell).  We have all been complaining about Lucic and Horton not quite cutting it.  Nash could be the sniping right wing to play with Seguin that makes a very good line great.  I think it is pretty much a fact that the Bruins are going to move a center in the next year or two with the development of Seguin and the fact that they can't/shouldn't pay their top 3 centers $5M+ a piece, especially when they have young talent coming up in the system that can play the third line center position for a much more affordable price.

At goalie, Rask has to be getting tired of being the odd man out and the fact is that he will have to DOMINATE to take the starting job away from Thomas this year, and maybe even next.  From what I hear Khobodin (not sure how to spell it) may be the real deal as well which puts us in the fortunate positions to have three solid, starting NHL caliber goalies in the system.  Not something a lot of teams can claim.  

So here we are overstocked at both center and goalie positions for the future -- two positions that are very valuable in the trade market.  If we get a chance to land Nash, a bonafide superstar, I'd have to say its not all that crazy.  Otherwise, we wait until Rask requests a trade, or Khudobin decides to go to the KHL and we waste Bergeron as a $5M third line center starting next year.

You have to give to get and yet all the comments bashing this seem to think that either Colombus won't give up that much, or Boston shouldn't give up that much.  Sounds to me like both teams giving up something of value in order to attain something of value.

Plus...for whoever said Nash would have to really "outscore Krecji", that shouldn't be hard given that Krecji averages less than 70 points per season.  Clutch playoff performer, yes.  PPG star of the league, nope, and probably never will be because he doesn't like to shoot 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is this crazy talk? : Get back inside the box, misterpaulo. Then you'll see the Bruins have all they need to make this a special season, without making any trades.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Ok.  I'm back in the box.  Still don't see Recchi or Ryder and this box and Pouliot is starting make this box smell a bit.  Not demanding action today, looking at something around the 25-30 game mark if the team has still not woken up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this crazy talk? : I don't get it? It seems that in trades there are winners and losers so to say that neither team should/would go for it somehow implies that it makes both teams worse.  I'm not completely sold on it either but at the same time, if they would do it, I think it does make some sense for the Bruins. So Nash isn't a center -- even better, without Krecji, we still have 4 centers on the team (Seguin, Bergeron, Kelly, Campbell).  We have all been complaining about Lucic and Horton not quite cutting it.  Nash could be the sniping right wing to play with Seguin that makes a very good line great.  I think it is pretty much a fact that the Bruins are going to move a center in the next year or two with the development of Seguin and the fact that they can't/shouldn't pay their top 3 centers $5M+ a piece, especially when they have young talent coming up in the system that can play the third line center position for a much more affordable price. At goalie, Rask has to be getting tired of being the odd man out and the fact is that he will have to DOMINATE to take the starting job away from Thomas this year, and maybe even next.  From what I hear Khobodin (not sure how to spell it) may be the real deal as well which puts us in the fortunate positions to have three solid, starting NHL caliber goalies in the system.  Not something a lot of teams can claim.   So here we are overstocked at both center and goalie positions for the future -- two positions that are very valuable in the trade market.  If we get a chance to land Nash, a bonafide superstar, I'd have to say its not all that crazy.  Otherwise, we wait until Rask requests a trade, or Khudobin decides to go to the KHL and we waste Bergeron as a $5M third line center starting next year. You have to give to get and yet all the comments bashing this seem to think that either Colombus won't give up that much, or Boston shouldn't give up that much.  Sounds to me like both teams giving up something of value in order to attain something of value. Plus...for whoever said Nash would have to really "outscore Krecji", that shouldn't be hard given that Krecji averages less than 70 points per season.  Clutch playoff performer, yes.  PPG star of the league, nope, and probably never will be because he doesn't like to shoot 
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

4 GAMES....

Also just because value is there on paper does not mean it makes sense for anyone to actually do the deal. Just because you like x player doesnt mean there is any way that he/she would ever be available except for a massive overpayment.

Take Lucic, lots of teams would want him. Do you know why he hasnt been traded? People dont make fair value trades, you want Nash overpay massively if not no deal. Its that simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Hey Chappy - 101 posts...you are now officially credible.

My error in calling Nash a centre.  Either way, the idea of getting a player like this in the lineup is appealing and based on your logic...maybe not so crazy.

In reality, I'm not sure Columbus is ready to go down the "trade your superstar" road as if they thought their attendance was bad now...

When considering this kind of deal, I was more thinking of trying to take advantage of a team like Columbus who might be desperate enough to really change to path of the franchise.  It is very rare, when a superstar talent becomes available and if the time is right, a team can be vulnerable to making this kind of deal.  Just like San Jose took advantage of the Bruins when Thornton was dealt.  A GM on the hotseat will do some strange things at times and trading Big Joe for a bag of average talent was one of them. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this crazy talk? : Not sure I agree.  Your list is an example of how good goalies were hard to find specifically for the Bruins and the management at the time.  You also forget that sieve Jim Carey and the ghost of Bill Ranford.  Philly has an even bigger list of crap tenders over the same time period.   With 30 starters in the league and a handful of backups that might be good enough to start (ex: Rask and Schneider) finding a capable replacement for TT in a few years is not impossible knowing there might never be another TT and Rask might just end up being a typical solid starter like the top 15 or 20 guys in the game today. Or Rask could end up being our next Vezina winner!  Who knows but this is fun isn't it?  

But Tuukka isnt a top 15-20 guy, we've already seen him lead the league in gaa and sp and then outplay ryan miller in a playoff series. tuukka isnt a maybe he's a thoroughbred. i just think that its way too much to give up while only having solid netminding until our 37 year old retires. then what? khodobin- no thanks, michael hutchinson- rather use khodobin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I agree Tuukka had a better season than that but over an entire career this could be the reality.  Even if Tuukka remains in the leagues upper echelon of tenders over his career...you are getting Rick Nash in return!  A superstar who is just now entering the prime of his career.  Add this cat to the existing core of young talent in or on the verge of being in their prime....wow!

Krejci is more of a 2nd line centre and projects to be that kind of two way talent long term.  Probably the 3rd best player in the deal and that is no slight on him.

After TT, it is a worry for sure but that problem will not be a factor until a few years down the road we hope.  There is time to put a new "Post TT" plan in place. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Chappy - 101 posts...you are now officially credible. My error in calling Nash a centre.  Either way, the idea of getting a player like this in the lineup is appealing and based on your logic...maybe not so crazy. In reality, I'm not sure Columbus is ready to go down the "trade your superstar" road as if they thought their attendance was bad now... When considering this kind of deal, I was more thinking of trying to take advantage of a team like Columbus who might be desperate enough to really change to path of the franchise.  It is very rare, when a superstar talent becomes available and if the time is right, a team can be vulnerable to making this kind of deal.  Just like San Jose took advantage of the Bruins when Thornton was dealt.  A GM on the hotseat will do some strange things at times and trading Big Joe for a bag of average talent was one of them. 

I'd say that this would be a more even trade than the Thornton trade (not a hard thing to do)  A stanley cup leading point scorer and a future franchise goalie for a top ten in the league superstar.  Throw in a top level pick/prospect and its darn near even

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]No way that trade gets done without Hamill.. October 14th, 4 games in and we've already had a report card and our first elite player comin to boston trade.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Win to kel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Rask has had 1 good half season and a crappy playoff performence. He's also had knee surgery. Anyone who thinks his trade value is high needs to stop donating to their drug dealers retirement fund.

Sections
Shortcuts