is this the biggest bruins game in history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

is this the biggest bruins game in history?

i was not alive in 72...what do you older posters think, is this the biggest game in bruins history? i know it was a sweep in 70, so i would think this game 7 is more important than that

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: is this the biggest bruins game in history?

No, the Bobby Orr Bruins had not won a Cup yet in 1970.  We expected it over St Louis, but until they won one, it was something that hadnt happened forever,  That Cup made Boston a  hockey town again.  The team was popular, but without any Cups, the team would not have carried that Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins legacy all these years.

This is a big one for sure, one of the most important.  But The Goal game is still at the top of the food chain for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

In 72 I believe they beat the rangers in 6!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

isn't this the first game 7 cup final in bruins history?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: is this the biggest bruins game in history?:
    [QUOTE]But The Goal game is still at the top of the food chain for me.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that Game 4 of a four game sweep?  I can't imagine that being bigger than a Game 7.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yes, though that's sort of trivial really.  When they've won, they've smoked teams: three sweeps in the five Cup wins, and they've been swept four times in the Cup final losses.  So, you go "huhh, wouldya lookitthat" and...?

More interesting is that this is the sixth of ten Finals to go 7 since 2001.  60%!  That's loony.  Consider that between 1955-2000, there were also six game 7s, and there had only been 10 game sevens since the final became a best of seven in 1939 (Bruins over Leafs in 5!).  Again, you go "huhh" but maybe this parity thing is for real.

Picking up on SoxFan's point, this isn't the biggest game because it's a game 7, it's enormous because the Bruins haven't been this close to winning a Cup since '72.  Just like "the Goal", when the Bruins hadn't been good for more than a decade in a six-team league.

15/16.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Bruins in game 7 Overtime victory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Question is..will Luongo cry?
    epic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Bruins in game 7 Overtime victory.
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS[/QUOTE]

i don't think i could stand an ot game.  i'd rather have them chase luongo in the 1st like they did last night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I would say it is because its one game win or lose decides who gets the cup very surprised this is the first game 7 in cup finals for the bruins

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Great question. In 1970 the Loaded Bruins were heavy favorites over St. Louisand swept them.
     I compare this to 1979 game seven at habs semis but the winner would handle the Rangers easily in the finals
    But because this is the finals it is bigger than 1979
    it is great to be able to watch such a huge game!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You could make that statement in the respect that the B's fell off the map of Boston sports teams and fans and have made a triumphant return. What's funny is that for years and years, many of us die-hards cursed and cursed at the anti-christ--Jacobs the owner--for not putting an effort into improving the team or adding stars, etc. Yet, I don't think we've even mentioned Jacobs at all here. Sometimes old dogs do learn new tricks. The bulb went on sometime prior to 2003, went dark for a while, then when he hired Chiarelli, got rid of Sinden, put in Neely, then the hiring of Julien, all of a sudden, the team improved each year, getting to the playoffs, moving through the playoffs, and finally getting to this point. So yes, this is the biggest game in B's history save for 1970 Orr game, which didn't have the stakes of winner-take-all behind it when it was played.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

[QUOTE]This is the biggest game in Bruins history this year. All kidding aside...it will go a long way to re-establishing this franchise as one of the greats. Plus, it's tough to repeat if you don't win it this year.
    Posted by hendy77[/QUOTE]

ALthough if we didnt win it this year, we wouldnt be repeating next. Just saying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IYes it is.n Response to Re: is this the biggest bruins game in history?:
    [QUOTE]isn't this the first game 7 cup final in bruins history?
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

this has to be the biggesnt one they have played in since '72 i was not even born  the last time they came this close to wining the cup

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: is this the biggest bruins game in history? : Isn't that a bit politically correct?  The bulb went off? How about Jacobs fought for YEARS to avoid the pushback from fans so he could hi$ cake ($$) and eat it too (avoid being criticized for not spending). Haven't we been over this? Just because Jacobs finally got it right and committed to at least having some semblance of a clue, it doesn't mean he should be applauded. I see a city like Detroit called "hockey town" up the ying yang simply because Jacobs bought this team in 1975.  Detroit was a ghost town for hockey until the late 80s/early 90s when they started slowly building and committing. We can thank Bob Kraft for this. That's who we can thank. He singlehandedly put pressure on 3 other franchises here and raised the bar of accountability. Period. Not a coincidence the laughingstock franchise Pats have become the bellwether franchise in sports (arguably) and then the Sox and Celts won titles. He did a 180 and it put Jacobs on the spot. If anything, watching Jacobs take this long to dig out of his disingenuous hole, showcases just how abusive he was. Sinden is still a consultant, by the way. No idea why, but he is. The giveaway was when Jacobs cleared his books in 2004, and then Mike O'Connell signed Zhamnov at 6 mil per and Brian Leetch at 4 mil per.  It's beyond comical, but it's sad because it happened to us. Completely treated like crap and abused. Not debatable. Jacobs does not get away with this.  Him opening his mouth a few weeks ago was a disgrace and an insult to long time fans.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I have never been Jacobs advocate, but I am willing to say that for whatever reason, things have improved to a point where the B's are contenders again, and the right buttons have been pushed by the current regime to bring the team back into the forefront. I think you are overreacting to my posts and what I'm trying to say. I just thought it was interesting. Julien has taken a lot of abuse for his New Jersey days and his system. The system works now, no? The B's win despite Jacobs may be more accurate than the forum blasters of the B's win despite Julien. Just making an observation here, not trying to "applaud" Jacobs.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Absolutely. It will make history when they win it. No team to ever go into 3 game 7's in one Cup run and the first for the Bruins to win a Cup in 7. And probably a first for a team to come back twice from 2-0 series deficits??

Sections
Shortcuts