Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?

In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : I agree with this^^^. And that's my point.   As long as Jacobs sees the seats filled and a playoff spot, the GM keeps his job. It's why Sinden held on for so long. Again, that's my point. Either you want to win or you spend your entire tenure here telling everyone how you just a year or two away from making a Cup run. At some point you need to take a calculated risk. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    Sinden was also a winner too.Let's not dismiss his cup rings and winning the 72 Canada Cup series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

PC inherited a mess when he took over the Bruins a few years back.  It would be unfair to say his job is on the line depending on how he does this trade season.  The guy has built a farm system in Providence, he has got ownership to spend $$, i believe second in the league to only NJD.  Not to mention before Savards injury only minor tweaks were needed to this team.  HE IS GOING NO WHERE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am assuming that was sarcasm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Good point NAS---I would however like to see more of a sense of urgeny with this club, the team they share the building went for it, The sox have won so have the Pats..I say you have a good core here and a goaltender playing MVP caliber, therefore NOW is the time IMO.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

The team needs a #1 center, a top flight winger and a #2 defenseman.

The time is later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : So, in other words, another version of Sinden (in a short window) and Jacobs's wet dream. No? If your statement is not the Jacobs mantra, I don't know what is. Not sure how old you are, but Jacobs has had the wool pulled over the general fanbase's eyes here for 3 decades. He'll go on WEEI in June and tell everyone how disappointed he is and that he has a good handle on the situation.  Then, someone will be scapegoated out of town so a new version of the failed approach can start over. Jacobs has mastered the art of consumer deception.  The Maple Leafs are just inept. The Blackhawks got aggressive and it worked, after not really trying. But, Jacobs enjoys a good tease and the result$. It's like Groundhog Day on acid.

Why do you act like this any time someone disagrees with you?  How old am I?  Really?

This has nothing to do with Jacobs at all.  I happen to like the way Chiarelli has rebuilt this team from the embarassing shambles of the mid-90s and the infamous Dave Lewis experiment.

Chiarelli can't win a Stanley Cup overnight.  He has to build a team that is a contender with all of the parts needed. Like say Vezina caliber goaltending, a Norris trophy defensemen as captain, depth down the middle, and infusion of young inexpensive talent, etc.  Oh yeah, that's what Chiarelli has done so far.  Maybe we should stop whineing about 1972 and give him a chance...

Chicago won by bringing Keith, Toews, and Kane (among others) into the organization at the same time through fantastic drafting and development.  It had little or nothing to do with "being aggressive".

Chiarelli is not going anywhere because he has done a good job so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It did have to do with being aggressive and realigning their priorities. Bill Wirtz was dying and their sons started being more aggressive with trying to win.

I do agree Chiarellii's tenure is still a work in progress, but it's absolute BALONEY to sit here as a Bruins fan, no matter how long, after years and years of Game 7 debacles, choke jobs, sell jobs from Jacobs, scapegoating, no focus, no commitment, etc, and no pretend it doesn't matter this year.

When you have a 36 year old Vezina winning goalie, you should be on the cusp of winning something.

Defense and Goaltending is the backbone, so anything short of tightenting up the weak spots here for Chiarelli with young players on the roster, prospects down on the farm and a golden ticket in the 1st rd, there is no excuse.

It'll be 5 years from now and apparently some fans will still be singing the same tune about giving the GM a chance.

I don't necessarily disagree with HOW he's been doing it as a GM here. I never said that. I only said I felt he overpaid for Ryder and Ference in particular and that could be an issue.

Overall, the approach is fine. Thomas has nothing to do with Chiarelli, though. That was an O'Connell sign and Thomas simply willing himself to be great through hard work.

The Chara move was Chiarelli's, yes.  OVerall, he is a clear upgrade over O'Connell, but that isn't good enough. He was hired to win a Cup. He wasn't hired to polish his laurels with regards to building a foundation.

Keep in mind, this team hasn't made a Conf Final in 20 years (1991). I would be happy to see what Chiarelli has done here to at least be Conf Final-worthy.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of acting a certain way in the face of disagreement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]It did have to do with being aggressive and realigning their priorities. Bill Wirtz was dying and their sons started being more aggressive with trying to win. I do agree Chiarellii's tenure is still a work in progress, but it's absolute BALONEY to sit here as a Bruins fan, no matter how long, after years and years of Game 7 debacles, choke jobs, sell jobs from Jacobs, scapegoating, no focus, no commitment, etc, and no pretend it doesn't matter this year. When you have a 36 year old Vezina winning goalie, you should be on the cusp of winning something. Defense and Goaltending is the backbone, so anything short of tightenting up the weak spots here for Chiarelli with young players on the roster, prospects down on the farm and a golden ticket in the 1st rd, there is no excuse. It'll be 5 years from now and apparently some fans will still be singing the same tune about giving the GM a chance. I don't necessarily disagree with HOW he's been doing it as a GM here. I never said that. I only said I felt he overpaid for Ryder and Ference in particular and that could be an issue. Overall, the approach is fine. Thomas has nothing to do with Chiarelli, though. That was an O'Connell sign and Thomas simply willing himself to be great through hard work. The Chara move was Chiarelli's, yes.  OVerall, he is a clear upgrade over O'Connell, but that isn't good enough. He was hired to win a Cup. He wasn't hired to polish his laurels with regards to building a foundation. Also, I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of acting a certain way in the face of disagreement.

Ok.  I took the "how old are you?" as a bad reaction to my statement that Chiarelli's job is safe.

I see what you're saying with the agressiveness thing, but I'm not sure I agree.  The only thing worse than failing to win a Cup this year would be screwing up the foundation that Chiarelli has built for the next 5 years by giving away too much or bringing in the wrong guy.  I am very hopeful that the Bruins will win a Cup in the next 3-4 years, and I hope they have a shot in each of those years to maximize the odds.  I am no Jacobs lackey either, I just think that is the most likely way to win a Cup considering playoff variables like injuries, luck, hot teams, hot goalies, etc.

I think that Chicago won because of patience, scouting, and luck in drafting and development, instead being aggressive.  The most aggressive move they made was signing Cristobal Huet for a pretty penny and that was a disaster that nearly ruined the whole thing and put them over the salary cap.  Much smaller, safer moves for guys like Ladd and Versteeg were combined with the brillient in-house development of Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Teows, Bolland, Byfuglien, Kopecky.  That's why they won.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No, I was thinking maybe you didn't realize the history pre Chiarelli or going back into the 1980s, post Orr.

The organization sort of lived off that era and were never really quite good enough to place the team over the top.

Their best run, in my opinion, was the late 80s/early 90s, but soon after that and the Sutter firing, it was all downhill.

I am just tired of the "we sell tickets and make the playoffs" routine here.

As much as Chicago developed from within, they also made key moves to complement that base. This is my point.

Sopel, Hossa, etc? These aren't small moves. Patrick Sharp was acquired a couple years prior from Philly, too.  Dale Tallon seemed to be pretty strategic with support from the Wirtz kids.

They weren't afraid to make those moves. Boston, traditionally, is. 

2004, right before the strike is the one time Jacobs tried to save face, only to look good before his Lockout.

They have the goalie. They have the PK and D. They just need more scoring and PP production.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

SoxFaninIll,

Usually contentious with you over your dislike of TT, but this is a good discussion thread.

IMO, there is no "win it now or be gone" window for PC. He's done a good job to this point and they've got a good core of players. I do not think they are over the hump yet talent wise so you can't and shouldn't pin his job on winning the Cup this year.

On the other hand, If they suffer a horrible collapse (as in, drop a 7th game to an inferior team or a 1st round sweep)  in the playoffs, I can see Claude's head in the guillotine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]No, I was thinking maybe you didn't realize the history pre Chiarelli or going back into the 1980s, post Orr. The organization sort of lived off that era and were never really quite good enough to place the team over the top. Their best run, in my opinion, was the late 80s/early 90s, but soon after that and the Sutter firing, it was all downhill. I am just tired of the "we sell tickets and make the playoffs" routine here. As much as Chicago developed from within, they also made key moves to complement that base. This is my point. Sopel, Hossa, etc? These aren't small moves. Patrick Sharp was acquired a couple years prior from Philly, too.  Dale Tallon seemed to be pretty strategic with support from the Wirtz kids. They weren't afraid to make those moves. Boston, traditionally, is.  2004, right before the strike is the one time Jacobs tried to save face, only to look good before his Lockout. They have the goalie. They have the PK and D. They just need more scoring and PP production.

I agree that Chicago and Tallon were certainly strategic and made some key pick-ups along the way to their Cup run.  I'm just saying that they also didn't panic and get rid of young prospects or draft picks to do so.  I beleive that the core of that team was developed from within and then they all got very good at the same time. 

The Bruins have better goaltending than Chicago did for sure, but less scoring depth and fewer quality forwards.  I agree that another scoring winger is needed, first and foremost.  I hope they make the move.

That said, draft picks are worth the most during the draft.  I would hate to use either of the 1st rounders on a pure rental, when they could be used at the draft to get more.  Ideally, I would like to see them acquire a decent scoring winger that could be resigned with Wheeler, the Bruins 1st rounder, and a prospect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I don't think it decides it for PC.

I think it should decide it for Claude. This post season is huge for him. Believe it or not, I can live with a second round exit if they go down with pride. Like losing to a team much better than them in a 6 game series or something.

If the ruins pull another Carolina and get exposed to another inferior team on home ice, Julien should be canned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Chicago won the cup by being a bad team for a long time.  Are you willing to be a Bruins fan if we were to finish out of the playoffs and close to the bottom of the standing for 5 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Chicago won the cup by being a bad team for a long time.  Are you willing to be a Bruins fan if we were to finish out of the playoffs and close to the bottom of the standing for 5 years.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what is so great about what Chiarelli has done.  The Bruins are getting top 5 overall draft picks two years in a row on top of their own picks.  Other teams have to be terrible in consecutive years to get that scenario.  Chiarelli has done it while going to the 2nd round of the playoffs in consecutive years. 

Chicago was able to draft guys like Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien, Bolland, etc. during those bottom of the league years.  Let's just hope and pray Boston can be as successful through the draft while still being a contender.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good point, however I would like to see a pick or 2 traded for a quality player now. I truly believe this team as it is constructed right now is 1 player away from being a serious Cup threat. Particularly with Malkin out for the year and Sid on the shelf for who knows how long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I'm loving this discussion, but more clarification:

My list of the big contracts for the B's were not all criticisms... I was on board with the Z and Savard signings.  I loved getting Ryder because they couldnt get a goal scorer at the time. Id also love to see the Ryder vs Montreal tonight show up every night.

Most people know how I feel about Thomas, but the fact is he was given that contract before be won any trophies, was a soon to be 36 year old very physically active goaltender and the B's had a franchise goalie in the wings at a bargain price. Detroit has made a living signing goal scorer after goal scorer and spending <$1Mil on guys like Osgood and Howard. Teams all over the league are paying goalies less, not more.  I felt $5M was a horrendous contract and I still think it was a bad decision.  It really looked like a bad decision the following year.  This year Thomas has played very well, but like him or not, if I were managing a Cap in 2011, I would not want $5M tied up in an old goalie who's hot this year.

The point I was making was, Chia- right or wrong- has to account for the contracts he's given out and the decisions he's made. I agree with those who say he's done a fine job... he has... but I think right now he has no room for not looking like he's trying to substantially uipgrade this team.

Again, I do not say he has to deliver a Cup this year.  Actually, a weak playoff performance is more on Julien I think.  I believe this is Chia's moment to show he will step up when all the stars are aligned for him... the loss of a star in Savard, the opening in the Cap, the extra players to trade in Wheeler and Stuart and others, and the blessing of management.  If he does not look like he went for it, I believe he is vulnerable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE] Most people know how I feel about Thomas, but the fact is he was given that contract before be won any trophies, was a soon to be 36 year old very physically active goaltender and the B's had a franchise goalie in the wings at a bargain price. Detroit has made a living signing goal scorer after goal scorer and spending <$1Mil on guys like Osgood and Howard. Teams all over the league are paying goalies less, not more.  I felt $5M was a horrendous contract and I still think it was a bad decision. Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

He'd just won a Vezina right before he signed that. Is the Vezina not a trophy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?:[QUOTE]Giving a 36 year old a fresh deal with a clear franchise goalie as a back up proving he can play a full season and do well, is obviously a clear financial gamble in the salary cap era. Please don't pretend this is pre 2005. Chiarelli seems to have gambled correctly, which is a good thing, but his hands weren't tied. This is why I felt Thomas should have been traded last year.  Overpaying in a market, especially moving forward with an aging player, is usually suicide. You don't pay based on what the player has accomplished. It may so happen that Thomas is one of those rare players who gets better with age. Good for us.Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few posters chase their tail while just blabbing in circles but this take the boobie prize. Read and heed your reply to a well played signing was not luck, nor guess work nor a gamble it was insurance to let Rask ease into the starting job that is why the contract dollars come down as the contract starts to end something you can't comprehend.

You started well but your passive-aggressiveness faded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : He'd just won a Vezina right before he signed that. Is the Vezina not a trophy?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Thomas not sign that contract during the season?  Before he won the Vezina?  Thats what I was talking about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Answering my own question, it is how I remembered it:

Boston goalie Tim Thomas inks new contract

Published: April 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/04/03/Boston-goalie-Tim-Thomas-inks-new-contract/UPI-45471238792565/#ixzz1Dbp6NoCU

He signed for $5.2M per, on April 3rd, a couple weeks before he turned 35 which affected the cap hit in a number of ways. It was before the playoffs and way before "he won any trophies" which is what I said.

(I didnt want this thread to head down another Thomas discussion.  I just listed his contract along with the other major contracts Chiarelli has issued)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

[QUOTE]No, I was thinking maybe you didn't realize the history pre Chiarelli or going back into the 1980s, post Orr. The organization sort of lived off that era and were never really quite good enough to place the team over the top. Their best run, in my opinion, was the late 80s/early 90s, but soon after that and the Sutter firing, it was all downhill. I am just tired of the "we sell tickets and make the playoffs" routine here. As much as Chicago developed from within, they also made key moves to complement that base. This is my point. Sopel, Hossa, etc? These aren't small moves. Patrick Sharp was acquired a couple years prior from Philly, too.  Dale Tallon seemed to be pretty strategic with support from the Wirtz kids. They weren't afraid to make those moves. Boston, traditionally, is.  2004, right before the strike is the one time Jacobs tried to save face, only to look good before his Lockout. They have the goalie. They have the PK and D. They just need more scoring and PP production.
     yeah but it took  dollar bill dieing for them to make a real change there and it worked, as faqr as wego, i cant blame the management  they have allowed PC to spend twaords the top of the cap every year  we have just made stupid  moves and overpaying 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : He'd just won a Vezina right before he signed that. Is the Vezina not a trophy?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

www.google.com

Sections
Shortcuts