Is Thomas a Hall of Famer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pellzy. Show Pellzy's posts

Is Thomas a Hall of Famer?

My fan glasses tell me yes after all that he has accomplished over the past few years but I am curious about what everyone else thinks.  His numbers and trophy cabinet tell me yes but has he been at the top long enough to get the call?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Is Thomas a Hall of Famer?

HHOF: 1 more Vezina, 2 more good seasons and 1 more cup and yes.

Otherwise no. But I think he will bein the B's hall of fame regardless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

He is one of the best NHL goalie of all times ...breaking records after records ..best save % EVER in the NHL ...most saves in a Stanley Cup final ...2 Vezina's in 3 years ...certainly the best goalie in the Bruins history no doubt
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldRaspy. Show OldRaspy's posts

Timmy compares well to recent inductees. Cheevers never won a Vezina, Grant Fuhr only won it once. Billy Smith only once. 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, a Cup (at least!) and the Jennings in 2009 should suffice unless he does something unspeakable in the next few years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I would agree with ILH,
    He didnt start until late in his career.  He has put up very good numbers in a short time and has a cup ring.  If he plays out his contract at his current playing level I would say yes.  If not I think he still will get a look.  But I don't think he has run enough yrs together at the moment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

A far superior goalie than Chris Osgood, who has the numbers alone to get into the hall. This season sealed it--- Timmy has few equals in the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Chris Osgood will not get looked at.  If he does its a joke.  They could have had anyone in net and won. 
    TT needs a few more yrs of greatness to get in.  He started at a late age, he has great numbers and the hardware to get in.  He now needs a few more dominant yrs and wins.  Which he should easily get.  Right now no, in a few yrs Yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think he needs a few more years at the current (or near current) level for consideration. I know, blasphemy.

Maybe I'm just associating it with the baseball hall of fame, which values longevity as well.

He's certainly close if not worthy already

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Is Thomas a Hall of Famer?:
    [QUOTE]I think he needs a few more years at the current (or near current) level for consideration. I know, blasphemy. Maybe I'm just associating it with the baseball hall of fame, which values longevity as well. He's certainly close if not worthy already
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

I think he would be in consideration if he retired today.  But I am not sure he would get in with reg/season stats.  Not that they are bad but he needs a few more seasons for those outside of Boston to jump on the TT Train. 

If Chris Osgood gets in the league is a joke.  It should be for elite players during their playing days.  Osgood has been avg on his best days.  If that slug gets in I guess anyone can get in.  But if I were Marty Brodeur or Patrick Roy and had to share a spot at the hall with Osgood I would be a tab bit upset. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bower's the closest comparable, due to the shorter career thanks to getting his start later in life. He ended up with 250 wins, 2 Vezinas (one shared with Sawchuk) and 4 cups. Those 4 Cups were won in the original six era, so they're not an easy comprable to now. Bower never won the Conn Smythe like Timmy.

If Tim can play three more solid seasons he should get to 250 wins. If he does that, and if he can push the Bruins to another deep run or two along the way, then he'll get in.

But as it stands right now, he'd be a bubble player for the HHOF, but likely a lock for the US Hockey Hall of Fame.

Sticking around long enough to play for the States in 2014 would also help his chances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

He is arguably the best goalie the B's have ever had.That's not saying much since the B's have had so many bad goalies.Gerry Cheevers was very good but TT is better in my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Bower's the closest comparable, due to the shorter career thanks to getting his start later in life. He ended up with 250 wins, 2 Vezinas (one shared with Sawchuk) and 4 cups. Those 4 Cups were won in the original six era, so they're not an easy comprable to now. Bower never won the Conn Smythe like Timmy. If Tim can play three more solid seasons he should get to 250 wins. If he does that, and if he can push the Bruins to another deep run or two along the way, then he'll get in. But as it stands right now, he'd be a bubble player for the HHOF, but likely a lock for the US Hockey Hall of Fame.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

good post red.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

It's a very close debate, but I think he gets the nod

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

The Osgood argument is based on the baseball argument. I agree, he's been an average to above average goalie throughout his career. That said, you can't overlook the fact that Osgood has 74 playoff wins with a a GAA of 2.09 and SP of .919. The Wings looked old and tired during a few of their playoff runs, and Osgood bailed them out in a series or two. I think he gets in. You also can't discount longetivity-- he's been wanted for long enough to win 400 regular season games.

Thomas, I think also gets in, but for vastly different reasons. He's just been dominant over a much shorter timeframe.  Maybe he needs another year or two of playing at a high level, but I think he joins Osgood in the hall in a few years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

As of right now? He'd get some looks; but if he can put together another great season? I think in 2011-2012 TT gets into a tie in the # 2 spot with most Shut-outs in a season with 15! I can't see anybody getting 23 to break Hainsworth record. When TT does this he'll be a lock. When you look at TT's season; it certainly is one for the ages. I mean he just matched HOF'er Bernie Parent for being the only other goalie to win a cup; Smythe & Vezina all in the same year. Plus he also took the Crozier award. The other thing everybody has to remember. It's called the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME! Not the NHL HOF! TT also had a great career in all the other pro- leagues he's played in! Did he not set a record for GAA in the Finnish Elite League? There's tons of players mostly Russians who never put up great NHL numbers; but still got in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]As of right now? He'd get some looks; but if he can put together another great season? I think in 2011-2012 TT gets into a tie in the # 2 spot with most Shut-outs in a season with 15! I can't see anybody getting 23 to break Hainsworth record. When TT does this he'll be a lock. When you look at TT's season; it certainly is one for the ages. I mean he just matched HOF'er Bernie Parent for being the only other goalie to win a cup; Smythe & Vezina all in the same year. Plus he also took the Crozier award. The other thing everybody has to remember. It's called the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME! Not the NHL HOF! TT also had a great career in all the other pro- leagues he's played in! Did he not set a record for GAA in the Finnish Elite League? There's tons of players mostly Russians who never put up great NHL numbers; but still got in.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

This is true, but those Russians all have great international careers as well. Tank's only played in two international tournaments in his career, winning a bronze in the 96 WC, and silver in 2010 as the back-up.

That's why I added that an appearance in 2014 in Sochi could solidify his shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Thomas a Hall of Famer? : This is true, but those Russians all have great international careers as well. Tank's only played in two international tournaments in his career, winning a bronze in the 96 WC, and silver in 2010 as the back-up. That's why I added that an appearance in 2014 in Sochi could solidify his shot.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I know Red; but a few on here are talking about his NHL #'s. Which isn't the correct way of looking at things. The guy still was playing professionally. I think he has more to do; but it's not because he hasn't done enough already. It's to solidfy his worth & to leave no doubt! Which I think he'll be doing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I think he needs a few more good seasons and another 70 - 100 wins.  He has all the other criteria - needed - 2 Vezinas, a Stanley Cup, a Conn Smythe trophy, all-star selections.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Martin Brodeur has almost twice as many wins as TT has games played.

Thomas has 161 wins, Brodeur has 116 shutouts.  Terry Sawchuk had 172 ties.

Martin Brodeur had 8 40 win seasons.  Thomas has never had a 40 win season.

It's very hard to put Thomas in for his career when his NHL career has been very very short.  Overall, nitemare has a point to a degree when bringing up Thomas's overseas numbers.  .938 is only Thomas's 4th best yearly save %.  He put up a .946 and .947 seasons in Helsinki and a .941 in Providence one year.  But no one gets to the hockey hall of fame playing in secondary leagues, and SM-liiga is a secondary league.

To get around the short career stuff, you have to have a massive set of achievements.  And no, one year no matter how good is enough.  Take away this year, and Thomas has a Vezina season, a good season, and three .500 years.  A third Vezina in four years, though, would speak to a prolonged period as the best player at his position, and that would surely make voters pause.  Two more Vezinas and he's a mortal lock.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

He needs 2-3 more seasons as a top goalie in the NHL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]As of right now? He'd get some looks; but if he can put together another great season? I think in 2011-2012 TT gets into a tie in the # 2 spot with most Shut-outs in a season with 15! I can't see anybody getting 23 to break Hainsworth record. When TT does this he'll be a lock. When you look at TT's season; it certainly is one for the ages. I mean he just matched HOF'er Bernie Parent for being the only other goalie to win a cup; Smythe & Vezina all in the same year. Plus he also took the Crozier award. The other thing everybody has to remember. It's called the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME! Not the NHL HOF! TT also had a great career in all the other pro- leagues he's played in! Did he not set a record for GAA in the Finnish Elite League? There's tons of players mostly Russians who never put up great NHL numbers; but still got in.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    This is a good point but does it mean I can get in b/c I lead my beer league in scoring 3 yrs running and my team won 5 in a row.  Lots of pro leagues.  elite leagues are obviously above that.  But still they arent even close to as good as the only league that matters

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

No -- sorry--- maybe with one more monster season like this year of winning the cup and another Vezina.

Chara will be a Hall of famer if he continues to dominate for the next 5 years and the Bruins win another cup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

he hasn't played long enough. my answer is no

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

as of today, he would not be a shoe in. completely debateable. two or three more great years, HE'S A LOCK. done