Is Toronto for real?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Is Toronto for real?

I picked Ottawa to be our biggest competition in the Atlantic... but Toronto is looking good. Signing Mason Raymond on the cheap may be a game-changer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Is Toronto for real?

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

I picked Ottawa to be our biggest competition in the Atlantic... but Toronto is looking good. Signing Mason Raymond on the cheap may be a game-changer.

Pick up of the summer in my opinion. Didnt even initially get a contract, got an invitation to a camp tryout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Pick up of the summer in my opinion. Didnt even initially get a contract, got an invitation to a camp tryout.

I agree.  

And yes the leafs are for real.  2 hungry goalies.  Avg def but they play a solid system.   They added sand paper in bolland who looks great and when clarkson comes back they add another 20 goal scorer.  Mason has great speed and is playing for a contract.  They took us to 7 and were up 3 last year.  I think they are better this year.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Never understood why Raymond fell out of favor in Vancouver.  I've always liked him.

Another huge pick up is Bolland, Chicago will miss this guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Yes, they sure look for real. Thank goodness they have Phaneuf to derail any parade plans.

...and yes "parade plans" occur after every Leafs win.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I don't like the Clarkson contract at all, but I agree with Kel that Raymond may be the surprise move of the summer. Matchups with Boston should be fun to watch!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't like the Clarkson contract at all, but I agree with Kel that Raymond may be the surprise move of the summer. Matchups with Boston should be fun to watch!

I dont like most contracts but he is a heart and soul guy you need to win in the trenches.  He has decent hands and will only make them better.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

Yes, they sure look for real. Thank goodness they have Phaneuf to derail any parade plans.

...and yes "parade plans" occur after every Leafs win.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

that's their achilles heal, defense.  I don't think Reimer and Bernier can hold the fort.  Bernier I like but he hasn't struck me as one of the elite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i think they're better than last year, but not good enough to win a playoff round. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Raymond was not a "game-changer" in Van and he won't be one in TO. The leafs are looking like a run and gun team and it may work in the long term for the regular season but certainly not the playoffs.

Let's see how they do against some top teams like the B's, Detroit, or FLA (just kidding).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think they're legit but in no way are they a lock for the playoffs - the Bruins, Detroit, Habs and the Sens will have a lot to say about that.  Up front they seem to be solid. 

As folks have already mentioned, behind the blue line is where I think they'll have concerns.  Last night poor defensive-zone coverage left Reimer, who was struggling, pretty much on his own on some of the Sens' goals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The Leafs commonly start out strong and then stumble down the stretch. A good season for them will include consistency from start to finish. I will believe it when I see it.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The Leafs commonly start out strong and then stumble down the stretch. A good season for them will include consistency from start to finish. I will believe it when I see it.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

dez, they started the 93/94 season 10-0 and ended up 43-29-12.  It's still 1967 and counting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I got laughed at last yr when I said they'd finish in 7th or 8th in the Conference. This year I bet at some point they lead the division for a stretch. They have a lot more speed than a lot of teams & they have some muscle to boot. Goaltending will be more than adaquete to make up for the d-men's mistakes. I predict the Leafs to finish anywhere in the 3-6 range in the Eastern Conference.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

The Reimer experiment is over. 7 GA in 5 periods this season. Expect to see most games started by Bernier, unfortunately, going forward. They can't win with Reimer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

The Reimer experiment is over. 7 GA in 5 periods this season. Expect to see most games started by Bernier, unfortunately, going forward. They can't win with Reimer.

To be fair to both goalies, I think you have to give them at least 10-15 starts each before naming a true #1, it's a long haul to April.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I got laughed at last yr when I said they'd finish in 7th or 8th in the Conference. This year I bet at some point they lead the division for a stretch. They have a lot more speed than a lot of teams & they have some muscle to boot. Goaltending will be more than adaquete to make up for the d-men's mistakes. I predict the Leafs to finish anywhere in the 3-6 range in the Eastern Conference.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Nite, are you in Regina over Thanksgiving?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought his would be a simple, Drew Rosenhaus-like "Next Question!  NEXT QUESTION!!" but people are actually taking you seriously.  Weird.

Honestly, I don't see the Leafs as that much better.  They are what they've been for a long time now: a collection of other teams' cast-aways.  No one wants Raymond?  Okay, sign 'im!  Chicago wants to move Bolland because they think they have cheaper guys to do what he was doing for them?  Okay, acquired him!  What else?  Oh yeah, throw money at an overpriced FA!  Done!  Go get someone's back-up goalie and make him the starter?  Done!  Same model as when Burke was rebuilding without rebuilding.

They may be better, but I question how much, and I wonder if it's enough to get them much further. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and Ottawa is highly over-rated.  Brilliant coaching got them through a terrible rash of injuries, but does the same style, the same message work when you have a star like of Spezza-Ryan-Michalek?  And how much can the bottom half of that roster contribute now that they're slotted behind the big line?  Many questions....

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

Seems to me they won last year with him just fine. Considering they were supposed to finish near the basement. You're saying this about Reimer after 2 games played? So that means MAF is the best on the planet right? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yes I am. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Leafs are for real, now hard to play against and are a contender for the division. They used to fold in tight games, that changed late last regular season. Toronto passed Ottawa and Montreal by a country mile.

I like that they are good now, the games are even more intense than before with the Kessel factor. Having said all that the Lufas still can't take the Bs or Detroit in a 7 game series.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The Leafs are for real, now hard to play against and are a contender for the division. They used to fold in tight games, that changed late last regular season. Toronto passed Ottawa and Montreal by a country mile.

I like that they are good now, the games are even more intense than before with the Kessel factor. Having said all that the Lufas still can't take the Bs or Detroit in a 7 game series.

I don't know San, I truly think last yr was a huge learning experience for them. Just like the B's learned in 2010. They have enough vet presence to make sure a collaspe of that magnitude never happens again. I agree the Leafs still don't have the Bruins, or Red Wings overall makeup, but they showed that they can play with one of the best in the play-offs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I truly think last yr was a huge learning experience for them"

Got that right, they almost aeliminated the Bruins.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Yes I am. 

Well I've got Friday to Monday off so let me know if you're interested in partying like you're trying to inspire Prince to write a song about you.

Sections
Shortcuts