Islanders fans rejoice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Islanders fans rejoice

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=447590

Looks like Wang is trying to sell the team. Quite likely the worst owner in the league in a very, very long time. If I was an Isles fan I'd be jumping for joy at this news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Islanders fans rejoice

Thank goodness.  They deserve better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and just in time to see them move to Brooklyn.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I don't think the Brooklyn move is much of a diservice to the existing fan base. It may cost them some support, but at least Brooklyn is still on the Island. It takes what? Half an hour to get from Uniondale to Brooklyn? Be like the Canucks moving from Vancouver to North Vancouver. Also I think the Brooklyn move if anything will grow the fanbase. The diehards from Nassau County will still come down the 27 to the games, and then you add in additional fans from Brooklyn, who likely weren't going to go up to Uniondale to watch a game.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We've endured the jacobs for so many years and they had money. 

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't understand how after 10 years of spending to the cap, people can still complain about the Jacobs being cheap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't understand how after 10 years of spending to the cap, people can still complain about the Jacobs being cheap.

[/QUOTE]

Its embedded into fans' DNA at this point.  If you dont hate Jacobs you must not be a true Bruins fan.

At least thats what true fans tell me when Jacobs comes up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't really disagree, but they really havent been all that aggressive financially.  This Savard thing has been a PR bonanza, as JJ gets to spend less, while appearring to do something else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't really disagree, but they really havent been all that aggressive financially.  This Savard thing has been a PR bonanza, as JJ gets to spend less, while appearring to do something else.

[/QUOTE]

Have they had the need to be financially aggressive though? What FA's had they lost out on due to cheapness?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't get that either.

I hated Jacobs just as much as the next guy...10 years ago.

Then he started spending to the cap every year, hired the best GM in hockey, agrees to long-term deals when they make sense, and has won a Cup.  Compare that to Wang.

And since I don't buy hockey tickets in Boston, the ticket prices aren't really something I can get upset about either (although I sympathize).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I don't think the Brooklyn move is much of a diservice to the existing fan base. It may cost them some support, but at least Brooklyn is still on the Island. It takes what? Half an hour to get from Uniondale to Brooklyn? Be like the Canucks moving from Vancouver to North Vancouver. Also I think the Brooklyn move if anything will grow the fanbase. The diehards from Nassau County will still come down the 27 to the games, and then you add in additional fans from Brooklyn, who likely weren't going to go up to Uniondale to watch a game.

[/QUOTE]

Brooklyn has changed considerably the last decade. Wednesdays arent  Prince Spaghetti days there anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have they had the need to be financially aggressive though? 

[/QUOTE]

No.  I think that's the great part.  Build a good roster, lock up key guys, and make smart offseason moves.  Signing guys like Chara, Seidenberg, Iginla etc. and making a few sound trades is aggressive enough for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Red. When you really look at JJ's record as an owner, there isn't much to complain about. The team regularly makes the playoffs, and has gone to the finals many times. I think in the same time span, there are few teams with a better record, if you look at playoff series won and lost. (means you had to be there).

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[/QUOTE]

Jacobs have been owners for so many years that's point I'm making. Chang doesn't have the funds  the jacobs have and had for that matter. Soeaking strictly from a fianancial standpoint. 

He was one of the prime orchestrators for the cap . I think he feels that he has to spend  to the cap... his reputation of being frugal wont go away yet.

Im anxious to see if they will exercise the buyout option if need be since it seems not to be an option for them.  You know full well bruins are one of the richer teams

[/QUOTE]

Jacobs is a business man that believes he should be able to operate a business to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that. Most of us would too. Fans want the guy to blow his brains out spending. But he is the owner, and he gets the final say.

Do you really believe JJ cares what people think about him being cheap? If he did, he wouldn't be where he is.

Yes, they could have bought out Savard, but as a business owner who wants to balance his books and turn a profit, he has decided not to do it. Considering their record in the past 4 years, it is hard to argue with the results.

Your dislike of JJ is misguided. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If you're basing it on playoff appearnces, they've missed the playoffs 5 times in the 39 years he's owned the club, the best in the league. Duing the same time period, the next best clubs are the Habs with 6 misses and the Blues and Flyers with 7.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The days of Jacobs bashing should be over. Marco can't help himself...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brooklyn has changed considerably the last decade. Wednesdays arent  Prince Spaghetti days there anymore.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd heard it has changed an awful lot since I was last there. Do you think the demographic changes play in the Isles favour?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It will be interesting if Mad Mike makes a comment on the shape of things circa 2001.  He certainly can identify with the Thomas Vanek Trade several months ago.  

With growing revenue in the NHL, Brooklyn, and Isles history (Mike Bossy), Wang will get a Chung of cash tonight.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jacobs have been owners for so many years that's point I'm making. Chang doesn't have the funds  the jacobs have and had for that matter. Soeaking strictly from a fianancial standpoint. 

He was one of the prime orchestrators for the cap . I think he feels that he has to spend  to the cap... his reputation of being frugal wont go away yet.

Im anxious to see if they will exercise the buyout option if need be since it seems not to be an option for them.  You know full well bruins are one of the richer teams

[/QUOTE]

Jacobs is a business man that believes he should be able to operate a business to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that. Most of us would too. Fans want the guy to blow his brains out spending. But he is the owner, and he gets the final say.

Do you really believe JJ cares what people think about him being cheap? If he did, he wouldn't be where he is.

Yes, they could have bought out Savard, but as a business owner who wants to balance his books and turn a profit, he has decided not to do it. Considering their record in the past 4 years, it is hard to argue with the results.

Your dislike of JJ is misguided. 

[/QUOTE]

If they had bought out Savard wouldnt part of his salary still count against the cap? By not buying him out the Bruins can exceed the cap by his full salary when on LTIR. I would say he was being cheaper if they had bought him out. If the $ was needed to sign a player jj already said Savards would be put on LTIR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good news for Islanders fans.  Bad news for the rest of us!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd heard it has changed an awful lot since I was last there. Do you think the demographic changes play in the Isles favour?

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Who likes hockey?  Upper-middle class white people. 

(mostly)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I live down the street from the Barclay's Center.  It will be a boon for them if they come here.  The Nets of the NBA were a floundering outpost in NJ.  The martketing campagin was brilliant and now they have a rivalry with th Knicks.  The NYI moving here would really igniote that Brooklyn vs Manahttan thing with the NYR.

THe commuter train from Nassau stops right at the door of the arena, literally.  The die-hards will find it easier to get to games than trying to drive to the dump in the middle of nowhere that is Uniondale.  Believe me.  

As for Wang, he wasn't necessarily a "cheap" owner - no better or worse than any other.  The county proposed a complete overhaul of the area called The Lighthouse Project which included a brand new arena.  Almost all tapxayers were for it, resoundingly.  Then, the county commission (very corrupt, mind you) pulled the plans off the table, citing "we're broke."  Wang took to town meetings and gathered much support, but he eventually just gave up.  He really wanted the team to succeed.  It was the previous ownership that ran them into the ground; the guy who runs the group that "held it" until a new owner could be found is a good friend of my family's - fills me on on how all that stuff works out there.   

But, the first thing a new owner has to do is just fire Snow - he's lost his marbles.