Islanders trade for rights to Boyle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Islanders trade for rights to Boyle

Done in San Jose, I wonder who is next to get the gate.

I think either Thornton or Marleau go, I would trade Marleau before I trade Thornton.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/11037500/new-york-islanders-acquire-negotiating-rights-dan-boyle" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/11037500/new-york-islanders-acquire-negotiating-rights-dan-boyle

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Islanders trade for rights to Boyle

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders/

Garth gonna bring in some veteran help. 37 years young, I would give Boyle "Gonchar money". Say $5M per for 2 years. I Boyle's agent asks for 3 years.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its quite telling when Doug Wilson says,i want players that love to play hockey here and not just love living here.Seeems like the kind of place Jumbo loves to live there and Marleau as well.Both have NTC's and just signed 3 yr extensions,both likely want to stay but when the Sharts were ousted this year by the Kings,Wilson said there will be changes,i can't imagine both players are staying,but in the end they can veto a trade. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

now does Boyle want a shot at another cup or does he just take the money?....

why the Isles couldn't wait another month to negotiate with a 37-yr-old with little left is another question....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Interesting considering they still have Visnovsky on the books for another year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Washington missed out 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why the Isles couldn't wait another month to negotiate with a 37-yr-old with little left is another question....

[/QUOTE]

Seventh on the team in scoring, and considering Burns didn't spend the whole season on defense, I'd say Boyle was their top scoring defenseman.  Hardly "little left" in my opinion.

By trading for him now, the Islanders get to give him the "here's an intentional overpayment because we want you here and we know you don't want to be here but maybe we can sway you with this" deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Yeah, this gives the Isles the chance to offer Boyle the "Sergei Gonchar Special",which is a 3 yr overpayment for an aging pmd who's skills will have started to deteriorate as the deal kicks in. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Seventh on the team in scoring, and considering Burns didn't spend the whole season on defense, I'd say Boyle was their top scoring defenseman.  Hardly "little left" in my opinion.

By trading for him now, the Islanders get to give him the "here's an intentional overpayment because we want you here and we know you don't want to be here but maybe we can sway you with this" deal.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

only three other Sharks had a worse +/- than Boyle's -8....  only regular d-man with a minus....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE]Yeah, this gives the Isles the chance to offer Boyle the "Sergei Gonchar Special",which is a 3 yr overpayment for an aging pmd who's skills will have started to deteriorate as the deal kicks in. [/QUOTE]

Interesting though I thought Gonchar would have puttered out in Ottawa but he wasn't that bad when Ottawa ousted Montreal in the playoffs. This year in Dallas he was terrible even on the PP with Benn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I wouldnt trade Joe.  But how about Joe marleau for Kesler Edler.  I think that helps both teams.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt trade Joe.  But how about Joe marleau for Kesler Edler.  I think that helps both teams.  

[/QUOTE]

How does it help the rebuilding Canucks?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How are the canucks rebuiliding.  They should have thought of that prior to extending the gazoos.  Joe marleau backing the sedins would give them two solid lines.  Say what you want about joe and marleau but both are high end players.   

If they bring a guy like mitchell back and grab a decent goalie(hillier) they are looking pretty good.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How are the canucks rebuiliding.  They should have thought of that prior to extending the gazoos.  Joe marleau backing the sedins would give them two solid lines.  Say what you want about joe and marleau but both are high end players.   

If they bring a guy like mitchell back and grab a decent goalie(hillier) they are looking pretty good.  

[/QUOTE]

Just another mistake by Gillis,left the team in quite a mess.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

$27M on 4 forwards with a rep for fading in the tough going?  Throw in Anaheim's third string goalie and Bob's yer uncle? How is that a good idea?

Gillis extended the gazoos.  Gillis is gone.  Won't be the first time the new regime took a direction the old one was afraid of.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

$27M on 4 forwards with a rep for fading in the tough going?  Throw in Anaheim's third string goalie and Bob's yer uncle? How is that a good idea?

Gillis extended the gazoos.  Gillis is gone.  Won't be the first time the new regime took a direction the old one was afraid of.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Anaheims 3rd string goalie had a very good year as the starter.   He will be a starter next year.  27 m for 4 fwds isnt terrible.  

The teams a mess. But i dont see how its a rebuild.  Unless they deal every decent player.  It doesnt take a lot to turn a team in the right direction.  I like some of their defense.  They have some decent depth fwds.  

Sedins with burrows and joes marleau with a young guy like bo would give them two solid lines.  You add mitchell with bieksa hamhuis garrison and thats a decent top 4.  Booth, NAS favorite player and hansen is a good 3rd line.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

only three other Sharks had a worse +/- than Boyle's -8....  only regular d-man with a minus....

[/QUOTE]

+/- is a horrible stat.  What does it tell you about a player?  Sometimes something.  Other times nothing.  On that same team, Havlat was +14 while Marleau was even.  What does the stat tell you about this?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+/- is a horrible stat.  What does it tell you about a player?  Sometimes something.  Other times nothing.  On that same team, Havlat was +14 while Marleau was even.  What does the stat tell you about this?  

[/QUOTE]

In and of itself, +/- tells you nothing. It's not a useless stat but it's definitely abused by many because they look at it in a vacuum as a means to judge a players defensive ability.

Marleau v. Havlat. What are the variables? Same team, playing in front of the same 6 D and goalie, same coaches and system. Ice time is a variable as well as assignments (i.e. playing against the opposing top line). So are linemates and of course, the players themselves. So if one has a better +/- it could just mean your linemates blow. So +/- is useful only if you combine it with what your eyes tell you.

[object HTMLDivElement]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Anaheims 3rd string goalie had a very good year as the starter.   He will be a starter next year.  27 m for 4 fwds isnt terrible.  

The teams a mess. But i dont see how its a rebuild.  Unless they deal every decent player.  It doesnt take a lot to turn a team in the right direction.  I like some of their defense.  They have some decent depth fwds.  

Sedins with burrows and joes marleau with a young guy like bo would give them two solid lines.  You add mitchell with bieksa hamhuis garrison and thats a decent top 4.  Booth, NAS favorite player and hansen is a good 3rd line.  

[/QUOTE]

I think $27M for four forwards would be a record.  It's a good $4M more than the Bruins; it's more than Pitt, more than the Caps.  Most important, though, is the kind of forwards you're getting.  I don't know if you can get value out of all four of those guys commensurate with what you'd be paying them - one puck, only so much ice time.  Plus, none of them is a 5 v 5 force any more.  Marleau and the gazoos get more than a 3rd of their points on the PP.  Thornton was better last year at about 1/4 of his points, but Thornton also doesn't shoot any more.  6 or 7 years ago, this might have looked like a "dream team" a la the Avs when they brought in Selanne and Kariya to go with all the guys they already had.  Now, with that "big 4" in their mid-30s, I'm thinking it would look like a desperate attempt to get back to the playoffs, but it wouldn't have a hope in Hades of winning a Cup.

They'd be far better off getting younger by dealing Kesler, and especially dealing him for young D help.  3 of their top 4 D are over 30, and the fourth, Edler, is the subject of trade rumours.  Tanev and Weber are an average 5-6 at best, and the prospect cupboard for them is pretty thin outside of Jordan Subban.  If I'm Benning, I'm checking the market for anyone over 30 on this team because they need to get younger, change the culture, and add a little honest grit to the mix.  I just can't see how adding two older, declining vets really does much other than get them a bottom 4 playoff seed.

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

very telling in Boyle's case at least....  only five regulars on Sharks were minus players....

maybe Boyle was unlucky and on the ice with the others alot of the time....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow is looking to trade the rights to defenseman Dan Boyle after not yet signing the pending unrestricted free agent, according to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

TSN's Darren Dreger reports Boyle is intrigued by the Islanders' offer but remains undecided. He is committed to signing a two-year contract.

"I don’t know if we’ll get anything done, but we'll see what's out there," Snow told ESPN.com Wednesday. "We've talked to a couple of teams, we'll see if anything comes to fruition here."

Boyle's rights were acquired by the Islanders from the San Jose Sharks on June 5 for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, which would turn into a 2015 fourth-round pick if the Islanders are able to agree to terms with the 37-year-old defenseman prior to the start of the 2014-15 season. He can become an unrestricted free agent July 1."

Yah not so much there Snow.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Stupid of him anyway.....how that guy still has a job is beyond me. Must have compromising pics of Wang or something (there is a pun in there somewhere I think).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Snow to Boyle's agent after they traded for his rights : What will it take for us to get him signed to play for the Isles ?

Boyle's agent : { crickets }

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@DarrenDreger 

"Brisk day in the Boyle camp. At least 8 teams have made contact (Leafs incl). Meetings with Boyle's agent, George Bazos scheduled for Thurs."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

We'll see what Bozo the agent can get for his client in terms of a sweetheart retirement package