It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005

That the Thornton trade happened.  Glad that's far behind all of us.
    I don't like surfin Joe, but we should have gotten more for him.

And thank God MOC is off in obscurity someplace.

I am so glad that this is a memory that's getting distant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005

I'd much rather have Ference, the Wild's 2nd round pick, Sturm, Savard (wouldn't have him with Jumbo here) and Oh BadHab if you ever see MOC in the halls of TD Bank or on Canal street tell him SanDog says "Thank you Mike for Lucic, Krejci, Stuart, Bergeron and Thomas!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marc627. Show Marc627's posts

yeah the original trade for Thorton was supposed to be to the panthers the center piece of thth trade was nathan horton...... ironic

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I, personally, am overjoyed that Joe is no longer here and that he is out west where I don't have to see him.

In my lifetime, he is the one Bruin player that frustrated me. I never felt comfortable watching the Bruins with him playing, no matter how many points he put up.

His only accomplishment while he was here was to prolong Glen Murray's career. Glen should be very grateful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

That trade wasn't about personnel.  It was about getting Joe off the books and starting over.  If you think about it, in the last 5 years the B's progressed more than the the Sharks did.  The Sharks were already cup contenders before JT and really are at the same place now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005:
    [QUOTE]I'd much rather have Ference, the Wild's 2nd round pick, Sturm, Savard (wouldn't have him with Jumbo here) and Oh BadHab if you ever see MOC in the halls of TD Bank or on Canal street tell him SanDog says "Thank you Mike for Lucic, Krejci, Stuart, Bergeron and Thomas!"
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but I think they could have done better than Primeau, Stuart and Sturm.  Like what about 5 1st round picks?  We would have gotten Setoguchi, plus everyone else in your thank you MOC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I, personally, am overjoyed that Joe is no longer here and that he is out west where I don't have to see him. In my lifetime, he is the one Bruin player that frustrated me. I never felt comfortable watching the Bruins with him playing, no matter how many points he put up. His only accomplishment while he was here was to prolong Glen Murray's career. Glen should be very grateful.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Same here, the only other one who frustrated me was kessel, who is a very close second to Thornton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was at that first game after the trade in Edmonton  My brother and I wore paper bags over our heads with "Say it ain't so, Joe" written on them. Coincidentally, my B-day  is Dec. 1, so at the time that seemed like the worst gift ever.

Over the years though, it has been mitigated by the other roster changes and the cap space it created. Yes he got the Hart that season, but has not built on that success.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Joe and Kessel are not a Bruin period. I thought both were a big?????? but I did eventually get over it. At least PC and neely are tryinh to keep our top notch players today. I still got a feeling that before Savy returns, another trade will occur to make more cap space. I know by watching the Blues play the other day they miss thier injuries Berglund and Perron. A potential goal scorer is on the STL microscope Ryder and PC should be on the talking to Davidson has cap room to have Ryder on his roster for remaining season or if Sturm waives his NTC when healthy he could singing the blues along with Paille, one more trade will need to give to reassure the Bruins cap space. I would like to see Winchester( from STL. good value for less then a mill.) in a Bruins uniform.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I for one would love to have Joe back with the Bruins

A consistent scorer a minimum of 60+ points a year and brilliant passer who doesn't give up the puck on the boards

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

No way Nohow. Joe never led anything, including his currrent team, to the cup. MOC had his day and some of his best are still here for Chia to meld into a solid team. MOC's downfall was the lockout decisions that decimated the Bruins core of experience. Chia did compund that with Dave Lewis, but both he and the owners deserve credit for moving quickly, if expensively, to rectify the problem. Claude has been part of that rebuilding and it woked OK until other coaches discovered that a penalty-kill box plus one stack can be beaten with speed and accurate shots. Now CHIA and NEELY need to manipulate what they have; create chemistry in each and every line, including who Savard plays with; Keep the lines together so they know, without checking, where each linemate is at most times; and eliminate the confusion that reigns throughout this team. This is the talent and "system" Chiarelli believes will produce a winning team. He has a real challenge with a defense that must use short, quick passes [ CHara, listen up] going forward rather than back.  Add your thoughts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I love the Bruins but I hope Joe proves most of you wrong.  If the Bruins can't win the Cup I would love to see Captain Joe hoist it in San Jose.  Joe is one of the best passers and controllers of the puck in the NHL.  He gets the puck to shooters in the play-offs just like he does in the regular season.  If they don't score how is that his fault?  He is not a hitter or a goal scorer and everyone wants him to turn into that in the play-offs.  Heatley and others need to score in the play-offs when Thornton puts the puck on their sticks and Clowe and others need to be the sandpaper.  Joe will throws some hits and score some goals and is solid defensively but he will do what he does best control the puck and make perfect passes regualr season and play-offs.  If they don't win he has still done his job. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005 : I agree with you, but I think they could have done better than Primeau, Stuart and Sturm.  Like what about 5 1st round picks?  We would have gotten Setoguchi, plus everyone else in your thank you MOC. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

No doubt that MOC should have sent an email (probably didn't know how too) to every team to let the bidding war begin but JJ ordered Sinden who then barked at Mike who then did what he was told.

Funny BadHab on NHL home ice radio they were talking about how Doug Wilson is now looking for scoring depth and more offensive minded defensman because they are in 10th place led by Joe (shoulder shrug hands in the air).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Captain (Beyond) Joe is no leader!  He should not have been traded on that date. MOC was not being diligent with the cap space, no excuse either.  I am not a guru of hockey facts but I don't think there has been another huge trade like that (Thornton) in December since the lockout.  Speaks volumes if correct!  "water over the dam" nonetheless!  In retrospect MOC did better than the Waddell/ Kovy trade at this point.  Ha.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzel. Show MDsizzel's posts

To the Thornton bashers What have the Bruins accomplished since Joe was traded?

Yes thats what I thought.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I wonder what did go down between Joe vs Managment....He had just signed the big contract when he was traded. And man was he moved out of town quick...Not your typical NHL trade.....I too I'm glad "Floater Joe" is playing it soft out on the west coast.....I wonder how many cups he will help bring to Jose before he retires ????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]A consistent scorer a minimum of 60+ points a year and brilliant passer who doesn't give up the puck on the boards
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]

My well-documented position on JT Problem aside, this makes no sense to me whatsoever.  You'd want to pay a guy 7+ million for 60+ points?  Who is a brilliant passer to the exclusion of shooting when that's what the situation calls for?  Really?

And "Doesn't give up the puck on the boards" - see Koivu, Saku. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

This wasn't a JFK where were you moment but I will never forget it. They were mired in a bad slump going into Edmonton & I had tickets. They traded him just before I got on the plane to go see the game. I have been wanting to say this for a long time: O'connell should have gone straight up for Patrick Marleau. Talking to one team was moronic, not one other GM in the league knew he was being shopped & Joe said he was having steak with his folks downtown when he found out. Not sure what restaurant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

For me it was more about the end of the Sinden MOC era.  I stopped watching for a couple of months after that.  Again, didn't like Joe, but didn't like what they got in return for him.  And then to dump Samsonov for Marty Reasoner?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, you laugh.  I laugh whenever I hear anyone rave about what a kingpin he is.  I laugh whenever anyone brings up the subject of just how many points he's racked up over the last decade.  Yay.  Good for him.  I laugh when people talk about the Bruins putting it all on his shoulders as though Guerin and Murray and Knuble and Rolston and any of the other players the Bruins surrounded him with were AHL call-ups and somehow inferior to Jonathan Cheechoo.  In fact, I laugh whenever anyone mentions Jonathan Cheechoo, and not because it's an amusing name to say.  Thornton decided to stick it to the Bruins when he was traded to SJ and for those few brief shining months proved what his detractors have said for a decade - he has the ability to dominate like few players in the game, but he chooses not to because he can play at 80% and still get his points.  He made a guy with 25 goal talent the Richard Trophy winner not just with soft passes but by charging around the ice like a bull on fire and creating openings where Cheech could set up for one-timers.

When your best player is only willing to play 80% - and in fact will moan that the problem is that the team isn't getting him enough support so that 80% will suffice - then you will never develop a winning culture around that player.  And if that's the case, it doesn't matter how many points he racks up - except in salary dollars.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, you laugh.  I laugh whenever I hear anyone rave about what a kingpin he is.  I laugh whenever anyone brings up the subject of just how many points he's racked up over the last decade.  Yay.  Good for him.  I laugh when people talk about the Bruins putting it all on his shoulders as though Guerin and Murray and Knuble and Rolston and any of the other players the Bruins surrounded him with were AHL call-ups and somehow inferior to Jonathan Cheechoo.  In fact, I laugh whenever anyone mentions Jonathan Cheechoo, and not because it's an amusing name to say.  Thornton decided to stick it to the Bruins when he was traded to SJ and for those few brief shining months proved what his detractors have said for a decade - he has the ability to dominate like few players in the game, but he chooses not to because he can play at 80% and still get his points .  He made a guy with 25 goal talent the Richard Trophy winner not just with soft passes but by charging around the ice like a bull on fire and creating openings where Cheech could set up for one-timers. When your best player is only willing to play 80% - and in fact will moan that the problem is that the team isn't getting him enough support so that 80% will suffice - then you will never develop a winning culture around that player.  And if that's the case, it doesn't matter how many points he racks up - except in salary dollars.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. 
    JT has been on Team Canada 3 or 4 times, but always as a 3rd or 4th liner. That is what the hockey world thinks of him. Good but not good enough for the first line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I got raked for using stats last time, so I'll do it again.

JT's #s
    Regular Season
    1.02ppg +125

Playoffs
    0.71ppg -23

That is a large drop off. 

I still think they didn't get much for the trade, but hey what do I know. (not even a First round pick to go with the players)

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

I think Julien's perimeter defense system works with the goalies they have. For me, the problem is lack of intensity and consistency more than system. Thornton coming back would not solve that problem. He was part of the problem. They need more skill on the backline (doh) and more locker room leadership.

Sections
Shortcuts