It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005

In Response to Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005:
    [QUOTE]Jumbo STILL GETS THEM TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by TheRealHomer[/QUOTE]
    I think they'll make the play-offs regardless so your point is...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005 : Sad but true.  JT has been on Team Canada 3 or 4 times, but always as a 3rd or 4th liner. That is what the hockey world thinks of him. Good but not good enough for the first line.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    That's not true at all.JT could easily have been MVP the year that Lecavalier won it for Canada(2004 world cup).Thornton finished only 1 point behind him but Vinny had the more timely goals.And to be a 4th liner on the best team in the world is no small feat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Joe Thorton on any Bruins line today would make it better

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

....Until the playoffs....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

In Response to It was 5 years ago tomorrow - Dec 1 2005:
    [QUOTE]That the Thornton trade happened.  Glad that's far behind all of us. I don't like surfin Joe, but we should have gotten more for him. And thank God MOC is off in obscurity someplace. I am so glad that this is a memory that's getting distant.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Small point but I think he was actually traded on Nov. 30 2005. Good post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Boston Sports Plus

seems like the trade has worked out for both teams, but one could argue more so for the bruins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder what did go down between Joe vs Managment....He had just signed the big contract when he was traded. And man was he moved out of town quick...Not your typical NHL trade.....I too I'm glad "Floater Joe" is playing it soft out on the west coast.....I wonder how many cups he will help bring to Jose before he retires ????
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

I think it was just a slow burn amongst management that started with his o-fer in the 2003-04 playoffs where the Bruins choked badly against the evil empire. It must be remembered that he was playing hurt, nevertheless he was playing.. At the end of the game as teams were shaking hands he smiles and  laughs and pats Theodore on the back and talks to him .. Still burns me to this day.. Apparently so did Sinden take note of this and apparently went wild..not surprising..and publicly questioned his leadership .. that was the beginning of the end.. Then with the Bruins struggling for a win in NJ he loses an
    important face off  clean in his own end in the dying seconds and Mogilny one times it past Raycroft and Bruins lose, and that is the last time Joltin Joe wore a Bruins sweater , next day he was gone.. You could also look back at the mauling he took at the hands of Lindros one game ( fractured cheekbone ) and clearly Bruins management didn't think he was "THE GUY" or Leader they were expecting.

Could they have gotten more for him.. well never know...but maybe we don't have Savard and Big Z if he wasn't moved.... Maybe that was in the back of their minds all along.. I do remember the Bruins had a deal in the works with the Islanders prior to draft to send Jason Allison ( coming off a great year ) to the Isles for Chara and 1st round pick ( which turned out to be Jason Spezza ) but the Senators intervened and offered up Yashin instead and that is how they got both ... I guess good things come to those who wait..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And 5 years plus one day the last smidge of evidence of the Thornton trade is gone.

Now those days are gone for good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ironic Sturm was the last piece of the Thornton deal and he gets dealt 5 years to the day.