It's over - Now What!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: It's over - Now What!

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RHO, I don't know why but I was surprised to see the Leafs were the only team to not play in a single playoff game between lockouts. The short season could end up being a godsend for them.

[/QUOTE]

dez - Often with all the usual bluster about the Leafs up here, that fact you mention is frequently overlooked.  The labour situation aside the prevailing opinion in Toronto sports media entering this season seemed to be the Leafs had to make the playoffs or Brian Burke was out. 

Do you think that situation still holds true especially with this shortened schedule? Could this number of games intensify any heat on him from MLSE?

[/QUOTE]

RHO, I've wondered for years how Burke has kept his position so my opinion is that he should have a very small leash if the Leafs stumble out of the gate. For all I know though, they might extend him like he did for Wilson. Let's face it, even the Jackets played 4 playoff games although in Burke's defence, I've heard him state he didn't want to see the Leafs in the playoffs if they were just going to get swept. I would've fired him for that attitude. Cheers! Go Bruins!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The teams that get off to the hottest starts in the first 15 games or so will be the ones with the edge in getting into the playoffs.  That's what stinks about these shortened seasons.

On top of that the seedings will be so bunched together that they likely will go to 4-5 deep levels in  tiebreakers.  A 9 seeded team could well have a 2 point difference from a 2 seed.  Really.

[/QUOTE]

I thought the exact same thing Ipot. This could be the year that a hot start gets the Leafs to the playoffs...........probably not though.

[/QUOTE]

Should that happen let's see how early the Cup parade details are released, dez. 

[/QUOTE]

RHO, I don't know why but I was surprised to see the Leafs were the only team to not play in a single playoff game between lockouts. The short season could end up being a godsend for them.

[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you both are talking the talk ;-).  Leafs win the Cup because they start 16-2-2 and then play .300 hockey for the rest of the 28 games, get lucky matchups in the playoffs, and win it all.

Heck, as long as it ain't the Habs.

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that, after suffering through this lockout the thought of the Canadiens winning the cup would be an utter nightmare and i don't mean getting attacked by cows wearing Habs jersey's.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dez - Often with all the usual bluster about the Leafs up here, that fact you mention is frequently overlooked.  The labour situation aside the prevailing opinion in Toronto sports media entering this season seemed to be the Leafs had to make the playoffs or Brian Burke was out. 

Do you think that situation still holds true especially with this shortened schedule? Could this number of games intensify any heat on him from MLSE?

[/QUOTE]

RHO, I've wondered for years how Burke has kept his position so my opinion is that he should have a very small leash if the Leafs stumble out of the gate. For all I know though, they might extend him like he did for Wilson. Let's face it, even the Jackets played 4 playoff games although in Burke's defence, I've heard him state he didn't want to see the Leafs in the playoffs if they were just going to get swept. I would've fired him for that attitude. Cheers! Go Bruins!

[/QUOTE]

dez - I agree this is Burke's make or break year.  I've read several times over the last few seasons how folks regarded his predecessor John Ferguson, Jr. someone in over his head in that position - usually citing the Raycroft for Rask trade as support for this view.   Last year I heard JFJ actually had a better W/L record than Burke. 

I also remember him making the statement you reference.  I'd say that one ranks right up there with his now infamous reference to his clubs: "We require as a team proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play."  Sure.  Good luck to them but much better luck to the Boston Bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dez - I agree this is Burke's make or break year.  I've read several times over the last few seasons how folks regarded his predecessor John Ferguson, Jr. someone in over his head in that position - usually citing the Raycroft for Rask trade as support for this view.   Last year I heard JFJ actually had a better W/L record than Burke. 

I also remember him making the statement you reference.  I'd say that one ranks right up there with his now infamous reference to his clubs: "We require as a team proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play."  Sure.  Good luck to them but much better luck to the Boston Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

I'd say Raycroft for Rask was one of Fergusons better moves...Raycroft set the Maple Leaf record for most wins in a season...Going and getting Toskela when you didnt need him turned out to be a bad deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was the day he got a thesaurus.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i thought they were extinct... goes to show what i know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Wow, the regulars are back talking hockey. Long. Time. Coming.

Even the whacko 2nd shooter conspiracy nut is back with a new Groucho Marx disguise.

Given their starts over the last 2 seasons, you have to think an abbreviated season favors the Laffs. Now the question is, what becomes of Roberta Luisa? Do the Laffs pony up the next Hamilton and Seguin for him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I always liked the Leafs. Having the support they've had since 67' & still cheering for them gives Leaf fans my respect. Yea, some of them are over the top, but I still like them & right now if there was a team in the East besides the B's that I'd like to see win it all. It would be the TML. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always liked the Leafs. Having the support they've had since 67' & still cheering for them gives Leaf fans my respect. Yea, some of them are over the top, but I still like them & right now if there was a team in the East besides the B's that I'd like to see win it all. It would be the TML. 

[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it isn't that you've always felt sorry for the leafs Nite ? Sort of like the homeless guy on a cold winter night that you pass in the street, thinking it would be nice if he had a warm place to sleep, but theres not much you can do about it. (;

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The teams that get off to the hottest starts in the first 15 games or so will be the ones with the edge in getting into the playoffs.  That's what stinks about these shortened seasons.

On top of that the seedings will be so bunched together that they likely will go to 4-5 deep levels in  tiebreakers.  A 9 seeded team could well have a 2 point difference from a 2 seed.  Really.

[/QUOTE]

I thought the exact same thing Ipot. This could be the year that a hot start gets the Leafs to the playoffs...........probably not though.

[/QUOTE]

Should that happen let's see how early the Cup parade details are released, dez. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you both are talking the talk ;-).  Leafs win the Cup because they start 16-2-2 and then play .300 hockey for the rest of the 28 games, get lucky matchups in the playoffs, and win it all.

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that, after suffering through this lockout the thought of the Canadiens winning the cup would be an utter nightmare and i don't mean getting attacked by cows wearing Habs jersey's.  

[/QUOTE]

You have one weird subconscious, my friend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you picked up on that. ;p

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

and i don't mean getting attacked by cows wearing Habs jersey's.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you picked up on that. ;p

[/QUOTE]

Very punny 50. Very punny indeed.