It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not.

Plenty of threads about the powerplay, so I figured I'd create just one more.

The B's are using the same powerplay system as they did all year long.  They didn't end up second in the conference because of a great powerplay.  They didn't win Games 1 and 3 with a great powerplay.

They need the people who score goals to start scoring goals.  And those goals are scored 5 on 5.  Why do you think the B's players are all at the top of the +/- category?  Because of their prowess on the man advantage?

It's not the powerplay.  It's the shot selection.  Sometimes during these games, I wonder if Shawn Thornton has been cloned and is every Bruin on the ice.  Skate down the right side and throw it at the net.  Skate down the left side and throw it at the net.  Do something and throw it at the net.

How many times this series have you seen pass pass shoot?  It might be zero!  All I can think of is skate shoot pray.

The B's issue hasn't been that they're outplayed or overmatched.  They're just taking super low quality shots and Holtby is turning them aside...just like he does in warmups.

No, it's not the powerplay.  In Thursday's loss, they only had one.  In Saturday's loss, they only had two.  So, in games they've lost, they have had a total of three chances.  I don't think the B's are tied in the series because they couldn't convert one of three powerplay chances. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not.

Sure as hell be helpful to get a few pp goals tho

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Although they didn't score on it, the Caps had a good PP early in the second period where they had some quality chances and consistent puck possession.  Directly after the PP they again had the B's hemmed in their own zone for some additional chances.  Then later in the period, they actually scored on one.

The B's, on the other hand, can barely gain the zone, never mind create quality chances.  That's the problem.  If their 0-3 on the PP actually contained some good opportunities and added pressure afterwards, it wouldn't be so bad.  But because they can't do a damn thing on it, it is creating a momentum shift in favor of the Caps.

They have to find a way to make it better and match the Caps PP results, because 5 on 5 is a wash right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The way things have gone so far they can't seem to get the puck near the net playing 5 on 5, so they might need the power play to win them this series. Playing 5 on 5 all i see are shots fromt he point, majority of them blocked and wrist shots from the circles that a high school goalie eats up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Poor shots, low jam in front of net. When the bruins get out-shot, they usually win. When they had that long losing stretch they outshot opponents all the time. Less bad shots, more good ones. Simple. I hate watching players cruise down and take bad shots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

When you're looking at things the Bruins could improve on, and they're 0-16 on the powerplay, can't seem to get goals past Holtby, and are losing games on special teams differences (like last game when the Caps won on a PP goal)...it's actually a pretty good thing to look at and be concerned about.

What a silly thread.  Of course the PP is a problem.  Is it the only problem?  Of course not.  Nobody said it was.  Why am I bothering...

Like I said, there is good and bad.  The PP is one of the bad.  Simple enough?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not.:
    When you're looking at things the Bruins could improve on, and they're 0-16 on the powerplay, can't seem to get goals past Holtby, and are losing games on special teams differences (like last game when the Caps won on a PP goal)...it's actually a pretty good thing to look at and be concerned about. What a silly thread.  Of course the PP is a problem.  Is it the only problem?  Of course not.  Nobody said it was.  Why am I bothering... Like I said, there is good and bad.  The PP is one of the bad.  Simple enough?
    Posted by Fletcher1

In losses (both of them), they are 0-3 on the powerplay.  There were 114 minutes played not on the powerplay and six minutes on it.

Citing what happened in victories as a problem is the silly thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : In losses (both of them), they are 0-3 on the powerplay.  There were 114 minutes played not on the powerplay and six minutes on it. Citing what happened in victories as a problem is the silly thing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So if they get a powerplay goal in the first period today, but then win 4-2, we can look back and say that it didn't matter?  I don't care much in which games the powerplay is more futile. 

The point is that it stinks and has been 0-16 for the series.  They are playing a team that I think is bad defensively and can be worked into taking bad penalties to compensate.  Given that this is now a three game series, and we know that the Caps have a good powerplay, I would say that it is very important to improve that part of the Bruins game.  How can you disagree with that...?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

caps know how good the b's are 5 on 5 and have based their entire gameplan on this, sacrificing offense to prevent 5 on 5 goals.  They know how bad they are on the pp so they are not worried about that burning them.

if the bruins could pot 1 or 2 on the pp it would force the caps to start opening up at even strength which would then allow the bruins to play to their true strength.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : So if they get a powerplay goal in the first period today, but then win 4-2, we can look back and say that it didn't matter?
    Posted by Fletcher1

That's different.  In this scenario, they did score.  In reality, they haven't.

To cite the bad powerplays in victory in order to support the bad powerplays in loses as a problem makes no sense.

In victory:  0-7 on the powerplay

In losses:  0-3 on the powerplay.

Suggesting that the powerplay is a problem because they are 0-10 makes no sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Daniel Paille's goal in game 3 was a perfect example of what they should be doing more.

Zanon get the puck at the left point, instead of blasting it (which Holtby would have gloved or taken it in the body), he flips a low soft wrister to the pads forcing a rebound. Paille, in front of the net (where he should be) picks up the rebound, one move, open net, in.

This example serves to point out that you must keep the goalie thinking. If it's always a blast from the point - the goal knows what to expect and prepares for it. If you mix it up - the goalie starts guessing.

When a goalie starts guessing he is vulnerable. The Bruins have not done this with Holtby in this series (apart from Peverley).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : That's different.  In this scenario, they did score.  In reality, they haven't. To cite the bad powerplays in victory in order to support the bad powerplays in loses as a problem makes no sense. In victory:  0-7 on the powerplay In losses:  0-3 on the powerplay. Suggesting that the powerplay is a problem because they are 0-10 makes no sense.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I would love for you to apply this bizarre logic to your sit-Shawn-Thornton fetish. 

Like, if the Bruins win the game even though Thornton played terribly than you can't look to him as a problem.  All that matters is winning and losing and you can't be concerned with in-game trends, regardless of the outcome?

Whether or not the powerplay has single-handedly lost the Bruins a game or not isn't really the issue.  It is rather an area of obvious deficiency that they could hopefully improve on to give them a better chance of winning two of the next three games.

Let's look forward and not just at the Win/Loss columns of the past 4 games for the sole source of analysis.  The Bruins will have a better chance of beating the Caps if they improve their powerplay and if they play Caron instead of Thornton.

So we're pointing out things like that -- things they they need to improve on...right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : I would love for you to apply this bizarre logic to your sit-Shawn-Thornton fetish.  Like, if the Bruins win the game even though Thornton played terribly than you can't look to him as a problem.  All that matters is winning and losing and you can't be concerned with in-game trends, regardless of the outcome? Whether or not the powerplay has single-handedly lost the Bruins a game or not isn't really the issue.  It is rather an area of obvious deficiency that they could hopefully improve on to give them a better chance of winning two of the next three games. Let's look forward and not just at the Win/Loss columns of the past 4 games for the sole source of analysis.  The Bruins will have a better chance of beating the Caps if they improve their powerplay and if they play Caron instead of Thornton. So we're pointing out things like that -- things they they need to improve on...right?
    Posted by Fletcher1

i think that would be checkmate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's a reason they call it "going to the net" not "get to the net and stand there."  They've had chances with guys at the net and a fat rebound, but it goes past them or they're well marked because they're not moving.  In each case, a guy in motion coming into the box could easily pick up that bounce and fire it into the open cage.  Lot's of examples of these little things that they're doing just off - shots to the net are good, blind flings are not; getting to the net is good, standing there waiting to get knocked down is less good.

Peverley and Lucic have stood out because they've been more patient and have taken the puck to the net rather than fling it and hope someone else is there.  Peverley in particular has repeatedly curled in behind another player's net drive to get a quality shot.  More please.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is what is driving me Fn crazy !

It's the shot selection. Sometimes during these games, I wonder if Shawn Thornton has been cloned and is every Bruin on the ice. Skate down the right side and throw it at the net. Skate down the left side and throw it at the net. Do something and throw it at the net.

Last night my team lost 7-4 .  I must have shot on the goalie right in hte chest 5-6 times, I felt like a Bruin.  My teammate (another Bruin fan) pointed that out to me.
    Then I got really lucky, instead of shooting on net on a backing defense I made a push top the net. Put the puck in his skates and the puck trickled in .
    My point is shots from from the wings wen corssing the blueline are low % shots, in close your % to score rises. 
    Elementary, right ?  So why aren't the Bruins doing that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Fletch, you are right. "play caron instead of Thornton" Net front is what they need, Caron proved he could do it consistently. play him. If Claude plays his new lineup, as Fluto laid it out, he's nuts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : I would love for you to apply this bizarre logic to your sit-Shawn-Thornton fetish.  Like, if the Bruins win the game even though Thornton played terribly than you can't look to him as a problem.  All that matters is winning and losing and you can't be concerned with in-game trends, regardless of the outcome? Whether or not the powerplay has single-handedly lost the Bruins a game or not isn't really the issue.  It is rather an area of obvious deficiency that they could hopefully improve on to give them a better chance of winning two of the next three games. Let's look forward and not just at the Win/Loss columns of the past 4 games for the sole source of analysis.  The Bruins will have a better chance of beating the Caps if they improve their powerplay and if they play Caron instead of Thornton. So we're pointing out things like that -- things they they need to improve on...right?
    Posted by Fletcher1

I fully agree that they'll have a better chance of winning if they were to score on the powplay.  My point is that this B's team hasn't needed to score on the powerplay to win, so it doesn't make much sense to point to the powerplay in losses.

Jordan Caron over Shawn Thornton isn't going to make much of a difference today.  That limited ice time is almost irrelevant in a snapshot.  The B's didn't lose two games because the goon didn't score.  They also didn't lose two times because they didn't score on the powerplay.  They lost because the top players are not taking quality shot or even setting up quality chances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

caps know how good the b's are 5 on 5 and have based their entire gameplan on this, sacrificing offense to prevent 5 on 5 goals.  They know how bad they are on the pp so they are not worried about that burning them. if the bruins could pot 1 or 2 on the pp it would force the caps to start opening up at even strength which would then allow the bruins to play to their true strength.
    Posted by Neecic

When you watch teams with good power plays,they very rarely take shots from the point,the point men just move the puck around ,and everyone is moving,where as the Bruins are all standing still,shoot from the point,and it usually misses or is blocked.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : I fully agree that they'll have a better chance of winning if they were to score on the powplay.  My point is that this B's team hasn't needed to score on the powerplay to win, so it doesn't make much sense to point to the powerplay in losses. Jordan Caron over Shawn Thornton isn't going to make much of a difference today.  That limited ice time is almost irrelevant in a snapshot.  The B's didn't lose two games because the goon didn't score.  They also didn't lose two times because they didn't score on the powerplay.  They lost because the top players are not taking quality shot or even setting up quality chances.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agree if Caron plays on the 4th line replacing Thornton but Caron if on a line with Lucic and Krejci might create enough space for a quality shot from Lucic and setting up for Krejci.
    You say what has Caron done to warrant being on that line ? I agree although that's the type of shake up you try when all your top fwds have done nothing.
    The kid has some enegergy he could brings to the Bruins.
    I would have rather have seen that move today than a full 4 line shuffle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not.:
    Plenty of threads about the powerplay, so I figured I'd create just one more. The B's are using the same powerplay system as they did all year long.  They didn't end up second in the conference because of a great powerplay.  They didn't win Games 1 and 3 with a great powerplay. They need the people who score goals to start scoring goals.  And those goals are scored 5 on 5.  Why do you think the B's players are all at the top of the +/- category?  Because of their prowess on the man advantage? It's not the powerplay.  It's the shot selection.  Sometimes during these games, I wonder if Shawn Thornton has been cloned and is every Bruin on the ice.  Skate down the right side and throw it at the net.  Skate down the left side and throw it at the net.  Do something and throw it at the net. How many times this series have you seen pass pass shoot?  It might be zero!  All I can think of is skate shoot pray. The B's issue hasn't been that they're outplayed or overmatched.  They're just taking super low quality shots and Holtby is turning them aside...just like he does in warmups. No, it's not the powerplay.  In Thursday's loss, they only had one.  In Saturday's loss, they only had two.  So, in games they've lost, they have had a total of three chances.  I don't think the B's are tied in the series because they couldn't convert one of three powerplay chances. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS-
    I generally agree w/your assesment in that whatever ails the B's this series, the PP aint it.

However, your reluctance to give any credit to how the Caps are playing mystifies me. You seem determined to stick to your prediction that this would be an "easy" series for Boston and now that it's become clear it's anything but, you're graspong at straws to explain why.

The sentence I highlighted above illustrates this point: couldn't it be that the REASON the B's are taking low quality shots is b/c the Caps are giving them very little in the way of HIGH quality shots to take in the first place? The Caps are checking the Bruins very tightly, and tho' I'm loathe to give any credit to Dale Hunter, who I hated as a player and still do as a general human being, he HAS changed the ways of Boudreau --a Caps team that laughed off defensive responsibility as an afterthought--and has THIS Caps team taking their defensive responsibilities much more seriously--hence, the Bruins are getting fewer quality chances to really test Holtby and the high shot meter is coming from--as you said--harmless permiter shots that even Blaine lacher could have stopped.

There IS some truth in that some Bruins (Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, and even Seguin to an extent) are making the Caps look a bit better by not coming up big as they're supposed to--but it is also true that this Caps team is riding a hot goalie now, is better defensively than they used to be, and matches up pretty darn well w/the B's, which is what I feared coming in to the series.

Stick to your narrative if you want, but IF the B's lose today*, you better be prepared to come up w/something better for an explanation when it's all over by Game 6. I do maintain that whoever wins today wins the series.  There will be no comeback by the B's if they go down 3-2 heading back to DC.

*I actually expect them to win b/c  they should make some adjustments and Lucic has to break out of his regular-season-Ryder act soon, and why not today?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Peverley and Lucic have stood out because they've been more patient and have taken the puck to the net rather than fling it and hope someone else is there.  Peverley in particular has repeatedly curled in behind another player's net drive to get a quality shot.  More please.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Couldn't have said it better. I would much rather see them work the boards and skate to open lanes, resulting in fewer but higher quality shots. Washington should have more hits than Boston every game, because it means the Bs have the puck on their stick and are working their physical advantage to rotate through the zone (or cycle down low), bring a guy into the circles or slot and make a play. Long shot and jam isn't working.

But Peverly and Lucic in this example is only half the problem. Rolston, Marchand, Seguin and Paille MUST use their speed to jump around the zone and go to places where they can receive a pass and get the shot off. As you said, all they are doing now is getting to the spot they eventually want to be and sitting there waiting for the pass to come. It's not going to work.

Philly is the best I'm seeing right now at what you're talking about. They are moving so much in the offensive zone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Absurd.  In a tight checking series against a defensive minded team like the Caps (yes the Caps), your PP has to make the difference.  There is little space out there, so a 5 on 4 advantage needs to be huge.  Saying they won 5 on 5 during the regular season is like saying a player scored in Junior so he should be able to score in the NHL.  It's a totally different animal.  How many hockey people marveled at the Bruins winning last year with such an poor PP?  They won despite this not in any way because they were good 5 on 5 during the regular season.  In fact, you could argue that if the PP hadn't gained some traction in the SCF, there wouldn't be a banner hanging now. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : NAS- I generally agree w/your assesment in that whatever ails the B's this series, the PP aint it. However, your reluctance to give any credit to how the Caps are playing mystifies me. You seem determined to stick to your prediction that this would be an "easy" series for Boston and now that it's become clear it's anything but, you're graspong at straws to explain why.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

I'm not grasping at anything.  I watch the games very closely and generally watch each game twice.  I'm not focusing on what the Caps are doing right.  I'm focusing on what the B's are doing wrong.  The B's need to take better quality shots, plain and simple.  They're turning the puck over time and time again because of quick flicks to the net instead of being patient and trying to create quality chances.

They don't have Stamkos.  They don't have the high class sniper (yet).  Therefore, they need to do extra work to make better chances appear.  If the Caps are playing high class shut down defense, so be it.  Adjust and burn them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Saying they won 5 on 5 during the regular season is like saying a player scored in Junior so he should be able to score in the NHL.  It's a totally different animal. 
    Posted by scooter244

17 year old kids to the best players in the world and regular season to the playoffs is not similar. 

The Caps got to the playoffs (yes the Caps) with a defensive minded style.  Do they have to play differently now?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to It's The Powerplay! It's the Powerplay! No, it's not. : NAS- I generally agree w/your assesment in that whatever ails the B's this series, the PP aint it. However, your reluctance to give any credit to how the Caps are playing mystifies me. You seem determined to stick to your prediction that this would be an "easy" series for Boston and now that it's become clear it's anything but, you're graspong at straws to explain why. The sentence I highlighted above illustrates this point: couldn't it be that the REASON the B's are taking low quality shots is b/c the Caps are giving them very little in the way of HIGH quality shots to take in the first place? The Caps are checking the Bruins very tightly, and tho' I'm loathe to give any credit to Dale Hunter, who I hated as a player and still do as a general human being, he HAS changed the ways of Boudreau --a Caps team that laughed off defensive responsibility as an afterthought--and has THIS Caps team taking their defensive responsibilities much more seriously--hence, the Bruins are getting fewer quality chances to really test Holtby and the high shot meter is coming from--as you said--harmless permiter shots that even Blaine lacher could have stopped. There IS some truth in that some Bruins (Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, and even Seguin to an extent) are making the Caps look a bit better by not coming up big as they're supposed to--but it is also true that this Caps team is riding a hot goalie now, is better defensively than they used to be, and matches up pretty darn well w/the B's, which is what I feared coming in to the series. Stick to your narrative if you want, but IF the B's lose today*, you better be prepared to come up w/something better for an explanation when it's all over by Game 6. I do maintain that whoever wins today wins the series.  There will be no comeback by the B's if they go down 3-2 heading back to DC. *I actually expect them to win b/c  they should make some adjustments and Lucic has to break out of his regular-season-Ryder act soon, and why not today?
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Just found this quote from Julien:  "So it's not them frustrating us more than it's us frustrating ourselves for not being able to a good job."

Sections
Shortcuts