I've Had Enough. I'm Blaming The Victims

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've Had Enough. I'm Blaming The Victims

Every player in hockey knows you don't face the board or you could get destroyed.  It's as much of a hockey thought process as don't enter the zone before the puck.

I'm sick and tired of these guys skating directly to the boards with an attacker on their heels or turning to the boards to protect the puck.

F each and every one of them.  I'm sick of the "that shouldn't have happened" stuff.  If a guy is going to commit such a stupid play, I hope he gets cranked.  Every time.

This Bubble of Immunity they create is BS. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: I've Had Enough. I'm Blaming The Victims

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Every player in hockey knows you don't face the board or you could get destroyed.  It's as much of a hockey thought process as don't enter the zone before the puck.

I'm sick and tired of these guys skating directly to the boards with an attacker on their heels or turning to the boards to protect the puck.

F each and every one of them.  I'm sick of the "that shouldn't have happened" stuff.  If a guy is going to commit such a stupid play, I hope he gets cranked.  Every time.

This Bubble of Immunity they create is BS. 

I agree.  Homer-Clause wont.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes coaches should teach players to face out, towards the play, when going into or along the boards to retrieve the puck. That way when they look down for the puck the opposing player has a better excuse to flatten them or give them an elbow sandwich.

Send the memo Gary!

"Laces out Dan, Laces out!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Yes coaches should teach players to face out, towards the play, when going into or along the boards to retrieve the puck. That way when they look down for the puck the opposing player has a better excuse to flatten them or give them an elbow sandwich.

Send the memo Gary!

Only legal when Lucic does it.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Players arent taught to turn away to show the numbers and draw penalties.  Now go copy and paste yemelin who takes the hit properly and how lucic feet dont leave the ice.  Then go get the ranger clip and both of the schenn plays.  Especially the wilson hit.  Watch schenn after.  Its priceless. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Send the memo Gary!

If you are going to get the puck with an attacker on you, you have options.

1.  Push back against the attacker to lessen the blow.

2.  Get your damn arms up to lessen the blow.

3.  Make the play and quickly turn to the side...to lessen the blow.

4.  Take a slightly different route to avoid facing the boards TO LESSEN THE BLOW.

Or

You can face the boards, get cranked, and have all of the namby pambies lose their minds.

Now, I'm not talking about a guy getting destroyed when he doesn't know the hit is coming.  I'm talking about the guys (and you know exactly the type of play I'm talking about) who do it intentionally to avoid getting hit.

F them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Or do the opposite of what Orlov did to Ranger.

Or

Watch Lucic follow someone into the boards properly.

Nah Bettman should have Gregson and Shanahan send out the memo. Reversing years and years of coaching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Or do the opposite of what Orlov did to Ranger.

Or

Watch Lucic follow someone into the boards properly.

Nah Bettman should have Gregson and Shanahan send out the memo. Reversing years and years of coaching.

Bring all three clips over.  especially wilson on schenn.  Watch the acting after.  Its gold.  

Lucics feet dont leave the ice.  Homer-Clause brought you the special addition Homer-Glasses

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

It's an epidemic and something needs to be changed. Players have become pros at turning their back to the ice to avoid hits and it's extremely dangerous.

The majority of the time, there is no reason to turn your back to the ice other than to avoid a clean hit.

It makes the game look stupid seeing guys turn to the glass, intentionally putting themselves in a vunerable position, to avoid hits.

Specify that boarding is only applicable to guys that are no the boards fighting for the puck to begin with, not guys that are going back to retrieve the puck.

Bring back the forecheck check and reduce the injuries.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

Like this perfectly timed hit ?

GIF: Milan Lucic's big hit on Mike Weaver

Orlov would get confused by this hit. His marbles would start shaking with how a proper hit is made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3.  Make the play and quickly turn to the side...to lessen the blow.

^This is the one I miss.  Guys used to come in with speed, chip the puck one way and cut hard to other way.  The hitter would come crashing in and miss the puck and player.  Now guys seem to turn their back and wait for the hitter to miss them, because he's not supposed to hit someone from behind.

Total respect for Kronwell this year when he took a weird last second turn and got cranked by Cody McLeod from behind into the boards, knocking him out.  McLeod was suspended.  When asked about the hit Kronwall said "Don't remember it, but just watched replay.  My fault.  Not sure what I was doing there".  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

Like this perfectly timed hit ?

GIF: Milan Lucic's big hit on Mike Weaver

Orlov would get confused by this hit. His marbles would start shaking with how a proper hit is made.

Thats not on yemelin.  I said the bottom hit on yemelin.  Typical san. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Getting rid of the trapazoid will help reduce these occuring behind the net. I'd rather allow the goalie to play the puck to help protect the players a bit more. But, I agree with the OP. It's absolutely ridiculous the way players turn their back to an incoming hit. Thank GOD Bergeron learned his lesson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Right between the numbers and leaps off his skates. Elbow has direct connection to Schenn's head, no shoulder as a buffer at all.

Yep they are the same hit alright.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS. The weaver hit is fine.  But shoulder does connect with head.  Everyone under the sun debated head hits regardless.  Now they are ok.  I confuse easily. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Right between the numbers and leaps off his skates. Elbow has direct connection to Schenn's head, no shoulder as a buffer at all.

show him looking back.  Show the wilson hit.  He knows exactly what hes doing.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Ping pong tourny coming on this thread .

Been discussed so much on this board but I like the bear hug, actually some of the players have adpated hitting while grabbing at a player to avoid squishing him into the boards. I've seen Bergeron do it a lot.

It'll happen a player has no choice to have his back turned to retrieve a puck and usually are bracing themselves and/or positioning themselves to either absorb the hit or counter , push back themselves.  What I don;t like are the players that turn into a hit with their backs or just plainly turn their backs last minute so that they won't get hit.

I do find more and more whereas I find myself blaming the victim.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

show him looking back.  Show the wilson hit.  He knows exactly what hes doing. 
    chenn looking down at the puck

I see Schenn looking down at the puck as he shoots it behind the net. That is what Schenn has been coached to do his whole life by Canadian coaches.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is not even close to Lucic's hit on Emelin.  He leaves his feet way before the contact to make the hit.  Like I said on the other thread only one skate slightly leaves the ice at point of contact.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I didn't think Orlov's was as bad as most people, but to Sandog's piont, he clearly left his feet.  Jumped into the air to make the hit higher.  Nothing like Lucis's at all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

This is not even close to Lucic's hit on Emelin.  He leaves his feet way before the contact to make the hit.  Like I said on the other thread only one skate slightly leaves the ice at point of contact.

This is the whole argument for Shup, he actually thinks the hits are the same.

Baffling isn't the word. There is now way for Schenn or any other defenseman to go into the boards facing out towards the play. The defenseman shoots the puck up the boards to start the breakout or back behind the net to his D partner.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Those hits are night and day different.

ST is actually very good at this play, you'll often see him take an angle and almost wrap up the player before hitting him. And his miss/slam the boards play I think is him trying to avoid hitting a guy in the numbers.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The videos aren't loading for me, but if you mean the Wilson hit on Schenn from Dec. 17th, the link is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Ldu2k0oKU

Does anyone want to tell me Schenn doesn't violate a fundamental rule - you don't double back and turn your back when you're about to get hit - it has always been a recipe for disaster.  Schenn reverses direction to avoid Wilson and fails.  He fails because he's moving lardass slow.  If he wanted to avoid getting blown up legally, he should have moved the puck.  Freeze the video at about :56 seconds and look at the options he has to move the puck, making a hit from Wilson far less of an option.  If he taps it behind the net for his defenseman, this doesn't happen.  He chooses to try to hold on to the puck and make Wilson miss by turning his back to him.  That's just dumb.

The rules on stuff like this need language that emphasizes dual responsibility. Get Grapes in a room and have him list the top 12 stupid things he has told you kids never to do on Coaches Corner, and make these the baseline for players to take responsibility for their own safety.  Then the rules on player safety and supplementary discipline that make players responsible for each other's automatically come into effect if the 'victim' has not done one of these dumb things.  Don't admire your pass.  Don't try to come out on the short side of the net.  Don't get on the trolley tracks and cut to the middle at the blueline.  Don't turn your back to a forechecker in a race for the puck.  Do any of this, and then there should only be scrutiny of whether or not there was unreasonable malice.

There are just certain things that you cannot do and expect not to get hurt.  These are fundamental, nature-of-the-game things you have to learn as you go up through the system from tyke and peewee.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I didn't think Orlov's was as bad as most people, but to Sandog's piont, he clearly left his feet.  Jumped into the air to make the hit higher.  Nothing like Lucis's at all.

go watch lucic on emelin.  Its not the hit i was ref to at all.  Do his feet leave the ice?  Had schenn done what emelin does i dont think its as big of a deal either.  The ranger play is idiotic and apparently taught across canada.  As per san. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts