Jack Adams Award

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Jack Adams Award

Nominees are Mike Babcock, Jon Cooper and Patrick Roy.

I would guess Roy takes this one, I really think CJ should have been nominated but oh well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Jack Adams Award

Babcock will have a shot...the media was stroking his ego quite a bit near the end of the season......I do think Roy should win, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Roy wins it but Babcock did a heck of a job with all those injuries.

"Don't rush into Cinco...start with Dos!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Roy gets rookie coach of the year, Babcock gets coach of the year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You know, I was all for including Babcock when he had this conversation earlier in the year...but I have a hard time distinguishing what Babcock did with all of their injuries from what Julien did with all of Boston's injuries and new players.  Julien integrated a host of players with less than 50 games experience going into the year and two new, key forwards.  The performance of Hamilton, Krug, Miller and Bartkowski has been insane when you think about it.  So...Babcock may have had more of an emergency bay for his aging stars, but the Bruins made hay with a significant rebuild of a team that was 63 minutes away from a Cup.  Should have been Babcock, Julien and Roy though I respect what Cooper was able to do.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I say Roy.  First of all, I admit I don't watch a whole lot of Western Conference hockey.  Being in the Maritimes, I find even 7:30 starts too late.  But, just from watching highlights and looking at the standings, I think Roy basically took the Edmonton Oilers and made them one of the top regular season teams in the league.  I saw a bunch of young offensive players who couldn't get it together (like the Oilers) and Roy turned them around.

p.s.  I hate Patrick Roy from his playing days in Montreal and his coaching days in Quebec.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Roy wins this more than likely along with the Flaming A- Hole Lifetime Achievement Award (aka the Chowdah Cup lol)

Book, I'm with you on this one  If Babcock is worthy for the reasons stated, then so is CJ.  Furthermore, CJ is probably more deserving. B's had best record in the NHL and Detroit had to strip down and cover themselves with Crisco to squeeze through the playoff door. CJ won in 08-09 (give or take a year) but I think you can make a case that he is more deserving of it this year.

The award seems to go to the guy who either exceeded expectations the most or dealt with the most adversity (e.g. injuries) and still managed to succeed. Not that those aren't good qualifiers, however, being an excellent coach for an excellent team shouldn't disqualify you, as it seems to do most of the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You know, I was all for including Babcock when he had this conversation earlier in the year...but I have a hard time distinguishing what Babcock did with all of their injuries from what Julien did with all of Boston's injuries and new players.  Julien integrated a host of players with less than 50 games experience going into the year and two new, key forwards.  The performance of Hamilton, Krug, Miller and Bartkowski has been insane when you think about it.  So...Babcock may have had more of an emergency bay for his aging stars, but the Bruins made hay with a significant rebuild of a team that was 63 minutes away from a Cup.  Should have been Babcock, Julien and Roy though I respect what Cooper was able to do.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!! You can also add Smith and the assorted rookies that played up front as well. CJ gets no respect. The knock against integrating all those players playing their first full season has been "well, they play well within the team system" but, really, is that not the sign of a masterful job done by the coach? What does this guy have to do to get at least a nomination? Have his team go 82-0 in the regular season?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

CJ won the Jack Adams in 08-09,that'll likely be it for him with this team.He could win it again but it will have to be another team ala Pat Burns who won it 3 times with 3 different teams or Jacques Lemaire who won it with 2 different teams.It seems the voters who pick a coach with one team don't like to go with it twice,for whatever reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

CJ won the Jack Adams in 08-09,that'll likely be it for him with this team.He could win it again but it will have to be another team ala Pat Burns who won it 3 times with 3 different teams or Jacques Lemaire who won it with 2 different teams.It seems the voters who pick a coach with one team don't like to go with it twice,for whatever reason.

[/QUOTE]

Seems like it. Other than Demers who won it 2 years in a row while coaching Detroit (86-87, 87-88) it looks like a one and done award unless you change teams. There's no good reason for this that I can think of at the moment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Call it the curse of expectation. I think CJ may have done his best coaching ever this year but the Bruins were supposed to be good.

It's Roy in a landslide. Everyone loves those worst to first (or close to it) stories.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'll take Roy over Cooper, not sure why Babcock is even in contention, he had injuries, so does every other team, they barley made it into the playoffs and needed an epic collapse by Toronto as help. Cooper losing Stamkos and having young players like Johnson and Palat step up was pretty impressive. Nobody expected Colorado to be as good as they were and Roy pushed all the right buttons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll take Roy over Cooper, not sure why Babcock is even in contention, he had injuries, so does every other team, they barley made it into the playoffs and needed an epic collapse by Toronto as help. Cooper losing Stamkos and having young players like Johnson and Palat step up was pretty impressive. Nobody expected Colorado to be as good as they were and Roy pushed all the right buttons.

[/QUOTE]

Media adores him, especially in Canada where he is viewed as a genius due to the Olympic hype......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babcock is in contention because he spent the entire season cobbling together a lineup that looked different from the night before. At one point they were missing 10 regulars at one time (no, not a 7th defenseman). They set a franchise record for man-games lost to injury. The previous high was 346, which Detroit passed March 23.  They finished with 421 man games lost, including six key players who missed at least 25 games. Fifteen players missed 10 or more games.  Detroit dressed 38 different players during the regular season. they used 45 in the 1990–91 season. Nine players made their NHL debuts this season, their highest total since 14 in 1990–91.

They lost Datsyuk and Zetterberg for basically half the season, each.  I want to see any team in the NHL deal with losing this level of player at the top of their lineup (although Pittsburgh has had some practice at it).

Both Howard and The Monster were out for stretches with injury, and Howard never found his game.

Detroit made the playoffs ahead of Columbus and settled into 8th at the end when it didnt matter.  Id say the Blue Jackets were helped by Toronto's choke.  Pretending Detroit's injuries were "like any other team" is intentionally ignoring what really happened or just not knowing the facts.

Cooper's loss of a star and having the impressive stepping up of a couple young kids was multiplied by 3 by Detroit on both sides.

While I think Claude got shafted (Cooper? Really?) Babcock should win this award with his eyes closed.  But Roy will win, we all know that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Detroit made the playoffs ahead of Columbus and settled into 8th at the end when it didnt matter.  Id say the Blue Jackets were helped by Toronto's choke. 

[/QUOTE]
    LOL, The Wings finished in 8th.  They are the ones who made the playoffs because the Leafs screwed up.  As if the Wings would magically leapfrog the BJ's in the standings if the Leafs had a stronger finish.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Anyone know when the last time the coach of the President Trophy team was not nominated? Too lazy to look it up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babcock is in contention because he spent the entire season cobbling together a lineup that looked different from the night before. At one point they were missing 10 regulars at one time (no, not a 7th defenseman). They set a franchise record for man-games lost to injury. The previous high was 346, which Detroit passed March 23.  They finished with 421 man games lost, including six key players who missed at least 25 games. Fifteen players missed 10 or more games.  Detroit dressed 38 different players during the regular season. they used 45 in the 1990–91 season. Nine players made their NHL debuts this season, their highest total since 14 in 1990–91.

They lost Datsyuk and Zetterberg for basically half the season, each.  I want to see any team in the NHL deal with losing this level of player at the top of their lineup (although Pittsburgh has had some practice at it).

Both Howard and The Monster were out for stretches with injury, and Howard never found his game.

Detroit made the playoffs ahead of Columbus and settled into 8th at the end when it didnt matter.  Id say the Blue Jackets were helped by Toronto's choke.  Pretending Detroit's injuries were "like any other team" is intentionally ignoring what really happened or just not knowing the facts.

Cooper's loss of a star and having the impressive stepping up of a couple young kids was multiplied by 3 by Detroit on both sides.

While I think Claude got shafted (Cooper? Really?) Babcock should win this award with his eyes closed.  But Roy will win, we all know that.

[/QUOTE]

Detroit got in as the 8th seed and was treated like one in the first round. To say the Bruins were "lucky" to get by them is pure stupidity on your part and shows where your loyalty lies. Pittsburgh had more man games lost than Detroit and I'd say losing Martin, Malkin and Letang are pretty significant as well. Babcock is a good coach, one of the better ones, but that franchise is in a serious decline and has been since Lidstrom left. He covered a lot of mistakes. Howard is overrated, Datsuk (+1 in 45 games) and Zetterberg are on the decline and Stephen Weiss was a worse signing than David Clarkson. Their playoff run comes to an end next year.