Jack Edwards apologizes for Cooke remarks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Jack Edwards apologizes for Cooke remarks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421289

I heard it live, didn't think much of it. Guess he must have took some heat for it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re: Jack Edwards apologizes for Cooke remarks

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I heard it live, didn't think much of it. Guess he must have took some heat for it.

Im not usually one to be easily offended by things people say, but when Jack said this during the telecast, it actually blipped on my radar. I like Jack's passion and we are all a little on-edge emotionally here in the Boston-area. Mistakes are made... but he is somewhat right...Cooke is an @hole STILL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Maybe comparing Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan is too over the top, but Edwards is right that Cooke getting the Pittsburgh nomination for the Masterton is a complete joke.

I take the Masterton somewhat personally as Bill Masterton was something of a legend in my house when I was growing up - he was a very close friend of my dad's, like a kid brother, so I grew up listening to stories about him and the tragedy of his death left an indelible emotional impact on my dad.

If Cooke ends up being a finalist I will be unbelievably choked. The rat from the Penguins name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Masterton's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I guess the truth hurts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jack also added something along the lines of "my conscious won't let me but I'm told my remarks were offensive. So I apologize". Good enough for me!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Maybe comparing Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan is too over the top, but Edwards is right that Cooke getting the Pittsburgh nomination for the Masterton is a complete joke.

I take the Masterton somewhat personally as Bill Masterton was something of a legend in my house when I was growing up - he was a very close friend of my dad's, like a kid brother, so I grew up listening to stories about him and the tragedy of his death left an indelible emotional impact on my dad.

If Cooke ends up being a finalist I will be unbelievably choked. The rat from the Penguins name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Masterton's.

Pretty cool that he was a buddy of your father's, red.  I missed the comment but heard Edwards' apology.  A sad state of affairs when a guy like this gets nominated for an honour like that.  Perhaps in aid of Pittsburgh furthering the belief Cooke has reformed. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Jack also added something along the lines of "my conscious won't let me but I'm told my remarks were offensive. So I apologize". Good enough for me!

The actual quote was, “The apology is prompted by nothing but my conscience.”

He felt bad for saying it.

Marc Savard and Bobby Kennedy?  Not in a million years are they comparable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Pretty cool that he was a buddy of your father's, red.  I missed the comment but heard Edwards' apology.  A sad state of affairs when a guy like this gets nominated for an honour like that.  Perhaps in aid of Pittsburgh furthering the belief Cooke has reformed. 

Part of what bugs me about the Pitts writers giving Cooke this nod is that Masterton was everything Cooke isn't. He was the definition of a gentleman and a scholar. Seriously - the guy went back to hockey to pursue his dream after helping build and design the control system fo the Apollo missons. Beyond his relationship with my dad, I walked by a permamnent display in his honour in the halls of my high school everyday. Irks me for Cooke to be mentioned with him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

sad when you have to apologize for telling the truth... this is the new PC world we live in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

If Cooke ends up being a finalist I will be unbelievably choked. The rat from the Penguins name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Masterton's.

I completely agree with you on all accounts but one: you should apologize to all rats for comparing them to Coward Cooke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I found it pretty funny. He has nothing to apologize for, it's not like he ended a guys career w/ a dirty hit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The actual quote was, “The apology is prompted by nothing but my conscience.”

He felt bad for saying it.

Marc Savard and Bobby Kennedy?  Not in a million years are they comparable.

You always say that no one on here can write or assume what someone else is thinking but here you are saying you know that Jack feels bad. I disagree that he feels bad becuase the way he made the apology and he was told he had to apologize by NESN.

No need to drive home your disdain for Marc Savard it is well documented. You have singing that broken record here on BDC for a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

“The apology is prompted by nothing but my conscience.”

To me says:

I am saying this because I feel bad, not because someone else told me to say it.

What does it mean to you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That he was told to say it and he did with tongue in cheek. It was mentioned to me that if he didn't apologize he would be standing tall in front of Tom Werner this morning at the NESN offices.

I know what I would have done versus going back to ESPN.

EDIT: Oh and I did find the remarks offensive but my hatred for Cooke wouldn't let me read a "conscience statement".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Part of what bugs me about the Pitts writers giving Cooke this nod is that Masterton was everything Cooke isn't. He was the definition of a gentleman and a scholar. Seriously - the guy went back to hockey to pursue his dream after helping build and design the control system fo the Apollo missons. Beyond his relationship with my dad, I walked by a permamnent display in his honour in the halls of my high school everyday. Irks me for Cooke to be mentioned with him

red, looking over past winners a large number of them overcame some serious health issues and returned to have excellent seasons.  Several like Adam Graves in '94, Dave Taylor in 1991, Bob Bourne in 1988 and Jean Ratelle in '71 received the Masterton for perserverance and dedication to hockey throughout their careers.  Tough to find where Matt Cooke even enters the conversation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Stan x2.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Somebody owes cooke an apology? What a bent world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I disagree Sandog. I don't know Jack Edwards, but if his on-air personality is even remotely close to his actual personality, I'm pretty sure he knew immediately that the use of "assassination" in any sports context was innappropriate in light of this past week's events and worthy of an apology for the words, possibly not the sentiment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZefBruin. Show ZefBruin's posts

Here's why he apologized..

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/380077-penguins-gm-confronts-bruins-announcer-jack-edwards

Such BS. Jack was right. Cooke should be banned from the league for the harm he's intentionally caused not getting nominated for any awards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

is this the same guy that also nearly sliced off an opponent's foot with a reckless play?....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

No apologies to scum like m.c. 

Maybe the analogy was wrong, but the sentiment was correct. 

PURE SCUM. 

And only Pittsburgh and Mario have the freaking nerve to actual nonimate him. After the wining and crying they have done about NYI player. What a BUNCH of wankers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I think Jack's apology was a lot more sincere than Cooke's apology after he ended Savards career.  Unless Jack called for someone to assinate cooke I am not sure why he had to apolgise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

No apologies to scum like m.c. 

Maybe the analogy was wrong, but the sentiment was correct. 

I agree completely. I made the utter mistake of mentioning this nominaion to my Dad over the phone today.

That was not my smartest move ever. Always fun to listen to a senior citizen use profanities you don't hear commonly used outside of a cell block.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Regardless of how you feel about someone, there's a line that can't be crossed, if you're a public broadcaster.

Jack crossed that line, and he apologized for it (sincere or not, it doesn't matter -- it was a public apology).

While that should be the end of it, the fact that he said it at all is now part of his history, just like Matt Cooke's past actions are a part of his.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I didn't think that much of it when I heard it, as Jack makes silly bombastic analogies all the time (Bruins beating the Habs compared to the American revolution and so forth).  

I also wonder how many fans know who Sirhan Sirhan is and the history of what happened, but whatever.  I think this may be the case of a very small number of people actually being offended and then a larger number of people being convinved to be offended after it was explained to them.

I'm not sure who exactly is owed an apology here.  Cooke probably hears worse everyday and I can't imagine that he cares what a blowhard like Edwards says about him.  The fans really shouldn't be too upset unless they are Kennedy relatives.  

It was a dumb thing to say and he apologized.  Good enough for me.

I think Masterton should be the most offended that his award for perseverence and overcoming obstacles would be deemed appropriate for a guy who played hockey like a complete d*ck for a decade, leaving a trail of serious injuries in his wake, and then decided to play a little bit cleaner for one season.

Maybe Marc Savard or Erik Karlsson would be better candidates for the Masterton award?  Oh nevermind, they still can't play...