Jack Edwards apologizes for Cooke remarks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Jack Edwards apologizes for Cooke remarks

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I didn't think that much of it when I heard it, as Jack makes silly bombastic analogies all the time (Bruins beating the Habs compared to the American revolution and so forth).  

I also wonder how many fans know who Sirhan Sirhan is and the history of what happened, but whatever.  I think this may be the case of a very small number of people actually being offended and then a larger number of people being convinved to be offended after it was explained to them.

I'm not sure who exactly is owed an apology here.  Cooke probably hears worse everyday and I can't imagine that he cares what a blowhard like Edwards says about him.  The fans really shouldn't be too upset unless they are Kennedy relatives.  

It was a dumb thing to say and he apologized.  Good enough for me.

I think Masterton should be the most offended that his award for perseverence and overcoming obstacles would be deemed appropriate for a guy who played hockey like a complete d*ck for a decade, leaving a trail of serious injuries in his wake, and then decided to play a little bit cleaner for one season.

Maybe Marc Savard or Erik Karlsson would be better candidates for the Masterton award?  Oh nevermind, they still can't play...

No kidding, and as for the small number of people , they were likely all from Pittsburgh and even then there are Penguin fans that are embarassed that Cooke is on their team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

It looks to me like Cooke has not changed at all. I thought the hit on McQuad although legal was dirty and typical Cooke. Hits like that end careers. Then when justice comes calling he turtles Piece of sh*t. I agree with Jack..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think Evander Kane should be up for that award. I don't care what its for, but he put a TKO on Cooke and I liked it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I think Evander Kane should be up for that award. I don't care what its for, but he put a TKO on Cooke and I liked it.

Kane went after Cooke and Emelin, he's ok in my books.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Outside of the window dressing fight with Thornton, which equates to Gaustad trying to return the favor to Lucic, It disgusts me that Cooke hasn't gotten the payback he deserves from this team YET. The hit on Mcquaid was just another opportunity that was passed over. He needs to be carried off the ice, followed by any number of Penguins who have a problem with that. The only explanation I can imagine is that they are told not to.

Jack Edwards and Brickley are turning into caricutares of themselves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

Dedication to hockey?!??...I live somewhat near Stirling his home town and was told he had pulled his annual monetary contribution to a Peewee tournament in Stirling for some jag off reasoning......thats dedication to hockey??...and dont even get me started about his on ice behaviour...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from surfingdjc. Show surfingdjc's posts

Cooke doesn't deserve no apology nor does Pittsburgh. I don't see Don Cherry apologizing to Cooke for his many comments and he almost got in a physical altercation with him. Cooke is a dirt piece of ...t. At least Marchand who isn't even in the same league as Cooke is willing to drop his gloves. Cooke should have answered the call. When you play on the edge you got to be willing ti fight. I rank Pittsburgh right behind Montreal and Vancouver with teams I despise. Did Pittsburg apologize for Savard or Ulfie's hit on Neely. James Neal is a dirty little wimp also. Look what he did in Philly last year. I hope we meet them in the conference finals and beat them with Jagr sticking it to them.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Outside of the window dressing fight with Thornton, which equates to Gaustad trying to return the favor to Lucic, It disgusts me that Cooke hasn't gotten the payback he deserves from this team YET. The hit on Mcquaid was just another opportunity that was passed over. He needs to be carried off the ice, followed by any number of Penguins who have a problem with that. The only explanation I can imagine is that they are told not to.

Jack Edwards and Brickley are turning into caricutares of themselves.

We'll see what Ottawa does to him tonight. I imagine he will go off on a stretcher with Neil on the ice, should be interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

IMHO Jack was just calling like it is. And good on him. By keeping strum about Cooke we're basically condoning his bush league behaviour and tactics which, as others have pointed out, have hardly changed over the years. When is Cook  really going to apologise for the crap he's pulled over the years? Just following in the footsteps of Oaf Samuelsson as far as I'm concerned.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I have lost respect for Jack because he apologized. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I can't believe it Matt Cooke is still alive!! Where is Neil ?!? I thought this would be revenge night, and their losing the game to boot ! ;-D

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Cooke 0 pims yet has drawn 2 pp's, simply unreal.

Ott is 0/5    Pit 0/3 2 on cook interference and hi-stick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Matt Cooke went OUT OF HIS WAY TO END THE CAREER OF MARC SAVARD...after he also did the same to a few other players on other teams. I applaud Edwards. Cooke is an alltime jerk, and has no business playing in the NHL while others can't even sleep or function due to concussions that this idiot forced on others. Jack, if you are reading this, you need a lot of work on your play-by-play, especially the over hyping of opposing players during broadcasts, and you often say stupid, really stupid things...But on this one, I agree. He is no better than Sirhan Sirhan...Cooke should never ever be considered for any trophy that is supposed to be about what the Masterson should be about. The NHL went soft on this guy and that's why he never got suspended or suspended properly. He is a joke, and he will soon let his ugly head rear again to murder some other player's career. Marc Savard was one of the most fun players to watch, and this idiot ends his career. Disgusting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Matt Cooke went OUT OF HIS WAY TO END THE CAREER OF MARC SAVARD...after he also did the same to a few other players on other teams. I applaud Edwards. Cooke is an alltime jerk, and has no business playing in the NHL while others can't even sleep or function due to concussions that this idiot forced on others. Jack, if you are reading this, you need a lot of work on your play-by-play, especially the over hyping of opposing players during broadcasts, and you often say stupid, really stupid things...But on this one, I agree. He is no better than Sirhan Sirhan...Cooke should never ever be considered for any trophy that is supposed to be about what the Masterson should be about. The NHL went soft on this guy and that's why he never got suspended or suspended properly. He is a joke, and he will soon let his ugly head rear again to murder some other player's career. Marc Savard was one of the most fun players to watch, and this idiot ends his career. Disgusting.

Who else had his career ended by Cooke?

Sirhan Sirhan murdered Bobby Kennedy, who was most likely going to be the next president.  He shot him and killed him.  Cooke elbowed Savard in the head.  If Savard had retired at that point, he'd be living a normal life.  He came back and got rung up again.  And again.  And that was that.

Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed.  Marc Savard was knocked out.  Savard came back and played more.  Kennedy never took another breath.

No, Danny, they aren't the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Sirhan Sirhan murdered Bobby Kennedy, who was most likely going to be the next president.  He shot him and killed him.  Cooke elbowed Savard in the head.  If Savard had retired at that point, he'd be living a normal life.  He came back and got rung up again.  And again.  And that was that.

Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed.  Marc Savard was knocked out.  Savard came back and played more.  Kennedy never took another breath.

Thanks for that diagnosis Dr. NAS, but I don't agree with you.  Mr. Savard had already sustained multiple concussions before the Cooke hit and by all accounts that was probably the most violent blow to his head/brain that he received.  So I don't think that Marc would have lived a "normal" life even if he never played again. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I can't believe it Matt Cooke is still alive!! Where is Neil ?!? I thought this would be revenge night, and their losing the game to boot ! ;-D

Bylsma wisely dressed Macintyre which eseentially neutralized Neil. Big Mac is way out of his weight class and Kassian sat due to the headbutt he received from the previous game, courtesy of McLaren. Cooke was untouchable.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Comparing hockey players to murderers is, in my opinion, just plain wrong.  In this matter, I must agree with NAS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Neil challenged him & Cook skated away! Typical no? I think the guy has changed & I think Edwards was out of line in the comparison. He's a marked man & always will be for obvisous reasons, but Cook never ended Savards career. He helped in the cause there's no question, but Matt Hunwick is the one who ended Savards career. Not in a dirty way, but in a technical one. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to fishfinger's comment:

It looks to me like Cooke has not changed at all. I thought the hit on McQuad although legal was dirty and typical Cooke. Hits like that end careers. Then when justice comes calling he turtles Piece of sh*t. I agree with Jack..

If that's the case Marchand on Salo was extremely dirty too right? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Bylsma wisely dressed Macintyre which eseentially neutralized Neil. Big Mac is way out of his weight class and Kassian sat due to the headbutt he received from the previous game, courtesy of McLaren. Cooke was untouchable.....

I was just reading some coverage from the Ottawa Sun and found some of the comments quite interesting. Many of the Sens fans laugh at the idea of Neil avenging anything. One mentioned how funny it was to see Neil totally cower away from a fight with Macintyre and how he also looked afraid when Murray slammed him later in the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Comparing hockey players to murderers is, in my opinion, just plain wrong.  In this matter, I must agree with NAS.

Unless said hockey player is the GM of the Edmonton Oilers.  Oh wait that was vehicular homicide.  Whatever!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

I disagree Sandog. I don't know Jack Edwards, but if his on-air personality is even remotely close to his actual personality, I'm pretty sure he knew immediately that the use of "assassination" in any sports context was innappropriate in light of this past week's events and worthy of an apology for the words, possibly not the sentiment.

We'll have to agree to disagree becuse I don't think Edwards would have apologized if he wasn't ordered too. That again doesn't mean that I think the comment was appropriate, it was not. At first I laughed at the comment I then thought it was a bad one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned. Jack wears his heart on his sleeve, said something and apologized. He's said some things over the years that have you shaking your head, but his heart i in the right place.  If it wasn't for the TSN article it probably wouldnt have been an issue. it happens, look at Ortiz the other day, he dropped an F-bomb in place where there was tons of kids and drew an applause.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Chris Rock had a great bit in one of his stand up routines. he found it wierd how people said Biggy Smalls was assinated. He stated biggy was not assinated, Martin Luther King and JFK were assisinated. Biggy was shot, schools will still be open on his birthday. I'm paraphrasing as he had some selective language but you get my point.

Also, if any of you haven't seen Louie C.K's new comedy hour on HBO, check it out. Freakin hilarious.