JACK EDWARDS: I WILL MISS HIM ON NESN, ANYONE ELSE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: JACK EDWARDS: I LOVE HIM, ANYONE ELSE?

In Response to Re: JACK EDWARDS: I LOVE HIM, ANYONE ELSE?:
    [QUOTE]I never heard anybody really say juicy rebound until Edwards this year - now I am hearing it lot from other broad casters - He has created a little catch phrase.
    Posted by maddog2020[/QUOTE]

I don't like it.  I want to be entertained by the game and not the anouncing of it.  I want the anouncing and play by play to point out stuff me and the average viewer might miss.

I want attention on the game and it's players, not the anouncer and his catch phrases.

It's a distraction.  Each time a player receives a pass and it is bobbled, or pops up a little, or totally blown and the puck deflects away Edwards always says
    THE PUCK EXPLODES OFF HIS STICK.
    That description isn't valid each time, but he says it each time.

I'm getting tired of him ragging on broken carbon sticks.  OK, I'm partial,  I love mine and yes I will admit that the pros break them a lot.  But wooden sticks broke as well, it's not as if they NEVER broke, and it's not the huge conspiracy that Jack makes it out to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

hes absurdly embarrassing to watch in my mind

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Yeah, too much Jack can get you puck drunk but I can't help but love the guy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I like Edwards better than Arnold - Arnold would always say something like "that mario lemieux guy - he is going to be pretty good" or something stupid like that. The only thing I do not like about Edwards is that he will bring up this 3 to 0 thing a thousand times on Friday.

To be fair, the VS guys already brought it up (I love Doc Emrick, but...) a million times during Game 3.  I don't think any announcer, VS studio commentators included, can shut up about it until the B's prove they can finish the Flyers.  Reminding me of the Sox "curse" BS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Jack fan here!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Jack is a boston bruins home announcer! Whats the problem?

The voters have spoken look at the results

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

Whomever is calling a game, they're basically story telling as it happens.  I think it takes more than hockey knowledge for a game caller to be successful and in that respect, for any sport.  In most games, there are lulls and network producers know that the casual veiwer is a click away from moving on and may get distracted and not flick back.  In order to hold an audience (the diehard fans excluded) there needs to be a balance of both:  knowledge and presentation; story telling to grow the audience.

My favorite national game caller is Emrick.  Aside from his knowlegde, I think his 'story telling' style is suspenseful, keeps you on edge (even when the game enters a lull) but during the playoff games, he's sometimes too stressful sounding and over the top - my only critism.  But always entertaining.  I don't need the entertainment factor to keep me tuned in, but I do understand why it's usueful to a network.

As for the topic, I love Jack Edwards.  Go outside of NE and listen to other markets' game callers.  Would you really want a game caller like they have for the Pens?  What about Sperling for the Yankees?   

Hey, we all know Jack's a homer, but he's articulate, intelligent, wity, and yes, entertaining.  I think he's a perfect fit for New England.  He and Brick are a great combo.  I hope NESN extends both of their contracts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

by the way...MOST announcers are homers...i wouldnt want it any other way. Bob Cole is brutal on CBC for repeating a score 1000 times a telecast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I just listened to that interview on weei.com.. what a disgrace.

Personally, I love Jack Edwards, but if I hated him, I still wouldn't disrespect him in such a manner. Totally unprofessional.

Thank GOD I have other options that that negative, cynical group of glib talking-heads.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

The Weei guys certainly have an agenda to run Jack out of town and get their recently laid off buddy Dale back on the broadcast.  No thanks, I remember when Dale first took over the broadcast in the 90's, BORING

Jack is pretty entertaining most of the time and you gotta love his enthusiasm 

Go B's !!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Dale Arnold was/is a cynical b@stard; He's also glib when it comes to hockey.

I remember calling up the show about 5+ years ago and told him what every actually hockey player knew; that the NHL's proposal to remove of the two-line pass was going to substantially change the pro game, notably by increasing odd-man rushes and scoring.

I remember being dumb-founded by his response, "Defenders will just do what they do in europe and back up early". Essentially, he was implying that teams would only have 4 players in the offensive zone and a defensemen essentially acting as a safety for the odd-man rush. He used the "They do this in europe" as an alibi, as if hockey fans have never seen the European game before. IMO he just made it up on the spot and hoped the enthusiasm in his voice could stand-in for actual insight--like all glib talk-show hosts and hack announcers do (Felger and Mazz?)

It was a borderline incoherent statement, but people don't call him out because he announces the game and therefore must  know what he is talking about, (A common error as a result of deductive reasoning ) and he blatantly doesn't.

on top of which, he brings absolutely no joy to the game what-so-ever. Jack Edwards is obviously a natural hockey player and hockey fan, and he makes every game more exciting to me. He and Brick have great chemistry together--and If NESN changes announcers i'm going to be pissed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

i may boycott NESN during this series. how dare them not re-sign my jack? he got a big time deal with Versus/nbc! guess his act wore out the the guys at nesn, but he's falling in top.. not a bad landing spot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

[QUOTE]I never heard anybody really say juicy rebound until Edwards this year - now I am hearing it lot from other broad casters - He has created a little catch phrase.

Seriously?  Juicy rebound has been a hockey phrase for as long as I can remember....heck I've been saying it since long before Fred retired.  That's like saying "bottle knocker" is a new phrase.

Now if you want to talk about Jack's catch phrases I think "half wall" and "forearm shiver"....which are quite lame. 

Nobody can deny his passion...but many times his passion comes off too strong and he ends up sounding like a tool.  As far as I go, I think the days of play by play announcers on TV are pointless.  I can see the action, I don't need you telling me what is happening.  I miss the days of the old 6" dishes and "wild feed" games, with NO announcers, just hearing the on-ice cameras.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: JACK EDWARDS: I WILL MISS HIM ON NESN, ANYONE ELSE?

Before anyone says anything else about Jack, be thankful for him.

It could be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCuUsuj5hWo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And for the record, I dislike listening to Doc.  I find his voice whiny, and the way he drags out words gets under my skin.  He does a good job, he gets the names and the plays right.  I just don't care for his sound or style.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: JACK EDWARDS: I WILL MISS HIM ON NESN, ANYONE ELSE?:
    [QUOTE]Before anyone says anything else about Jack, be thankful for him. It could be this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCuUsuj5hWo
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, absolutely.  That guy is the worst in the biz.  To me, Edwards is equal parts annoying and funny, so at the end of the day I don't mind him. 

It's kind of funny how much opposing fan hate him too -- I get some satisfaction that he is a big 'F-you' to people rooting against the Bruins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

In the glorious history of hockey broadcasting, Jack Edwards is unfit to dust the microphone of countless before him and several of his contemporaries.  It is mind-boggling that a market like Boston doesn't demand (and get) better than Edwards.  His broadcasts get the mute treatment in my house and always will. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In the glorious history of hockey broadcasting, Jack Edwards is unfit to dust the microphone of countless before him and several of his contemporaries.  It is mind-boggling that a market like Boston doesn't demand (and get) better than Edwards.  His broadcasts get the mute treatment in my house and always will. 
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]

Whom would you prefer for contemporaries?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In the glorious history of hockey broadcasting, Jack Edwards is unfit to dust the microphone of countless before him and several of his contemporaries.  It is mind-boggling that a market like Boston doesn't demand (and get) better than Edwards.  His broadcasts get the mute treatment in my house and always will. 
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]
    u sir are guilty of imperious conceit!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from er877. Show er877's posts

Jack Edwards is the hockey equivalent of John Sterling-truly embarassing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

er877, i agree. Edwards is as bad as they come, and Mike Emrick is a lot worse. Emrick just doesn't follow the play and at times has no idea who is skating with the puck. Both spend way too much time on "stories" during games. The best announcer no one ever gets to hear or see is Bob Miller in Los Angeles, who's an icon and has been doing hockey going back to the early 1970s. I get to hear Miller and he keeps you riveted the way some of the great ones did--Dan Kelly, Danny Galivan. If Miller were in Boston, the fans would think Edwards was a joke, and basically he is a bufoon at times. It's sad because Andy Brickley is a superb analyst.
    Edwards does wear his homer on his sleeve, but then also gets way too excited for other team's goals. Miller gets louder for a Kings goal, but he keeps a consistent enthusiasm on all goals in general. All announcers to an extent are homers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from er877. Show er877's posts

Miss Fred Cusick-homer to be sure, but knew and loved the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Jack Edwards is the hockey equivalent of John Sterling-truly embarassing.
    Posted by er877[/QUOTE]

Whom would you prefer?

Sections
Shortcuts