Jack Edwards

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Re: Jack Edwards

Love him, but I can 100% see why some people hate him.

Last night I had the option of watching HD coverage on CBC or regular feed from NESN on my Center Ice package.  I went with the NESN feed SOLELY for Jack Edwards.  Yeah, he sounds like an jackhole sometimes, but most others are as exciting to listen to as listening to paint dry.  My young kids appreciate his enthusiasm, and so do I.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Edwards:
    In Response to Re: Jack Edwards : Are you familiar with Rick Generiette (or however you spell his name) in Buffalo? Absolutely terrible. I think he might be getting worse ever since they brought over Harry Neale (or is it Bob Cole, always get those two confused) from CBC. Buffalo/MSG is by far the worst because, while they're homers, unlike Edwards, they pretend to be completely impartial and objective.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Totally agree, Rick Jeanneret is a complete tool. Most annoying voice in all of sports broadcasting. It is Harry Neale he is paired up with. Being from Southern Ontario & a half hour from Buffalo, I've heard my share of him. I still can't get the whole "MayDay, MayDay" thing from 1993 out of my head. What an idiot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

PS  I love Rick Jeanerette too.  Classic calls... 'Fa-la-la-laFontaine', 'MAYDAY! MAYDAY!', 'Top shelf where momma hides the cookies!'.

Rick and Jack do their homework too.  Many play-by-play announcers don't even learn the names of the opponents beyond the top line.  Also, Rick and Jack will give credit where credit is due when it comes to amazing things done by the opposition.  Might get overshadowed by the rest of their persona, but it happens every game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Love him, but I can 100% see why some people hate him. Last night I had the option of watching HD coverage on CBC or regular feed from NESN on my Center Ice package.  I went with the NESN feed SOLELY for Jack Edwards.  Yeah, he sounds like an jackhole sometimes, but most others are as exciting to listen to as listening to paint dry.  My young kids appreciate his enthusiasm, and so do I.
    Posted by elosias

Where are you from? Here in Southern Ontario, I can't get Nesn on the Center Ice because all of the playoff games are nationally televised.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

Jack is okay but personally, for Television, I enjoy Mike Emerick

I do have to say Jack's "Get Up!" comment last night was hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

jack fan.  he steps it up for the playoffs (no more giggling with brick).  you jack haters would rather have that awful vs channel crew? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I didn't like him at first.  I think he got better, but now...  No one is noticing the brain cramps???

Nobody is noticing him getting tongue tied???  And hesitating???

No one???

It started getting obvious about the last month of the regular season.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

It's stunning to see so many Jack supporters.  I thought Dale Arnold was bad with how he overannounciated everything and every player's name, but Jack is like a cartoon character on acid.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Speaking of Dale Arnold, does anyone know what he is doing now? It seems like he has vanished. I didn't think Arnold & Kluzak were that bad on Nesn.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kpicardspi. Show kpicardspi's posts

I think he's horrible. Bring back Dale Arnold!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

He's there to call the plays and entertain. It's a tough job (ever tried?) and he does it well.

I find many people hate him for not speaking like a hick or for not using improper grammer like "had he went". That's what makes me embarrassed to watch hockey sometimes with other announcers. Anyway, other people probably have legitimate reasons for hating him, I'm sure. To each his own.

On that note, I've finally uploaded a good copy of the famous comment from last night, which caused him to trend world-wide on Twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCI7Y6i4_vo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I surprised there are so many positive posts, too.  He's absolutely awful.  Agreed, there a few worse, Jeannerette, anybody in Columbus... but Im shocked at the comments saying "listen to other teams, Jack is better."  I watch lots of other teams on DirecTV and Jack is such an unprofessional goof.  Love the HNIC guys and Kelly in St Louis.

Occasionally his unabashed homerisms are OK, but for the most part way over the top.  Still, Katheryn Tappen keeps me running back to NESN no matter what. Until she pulls a Hazel Mae.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VJR123. Show VJR123's posts

Edwards is unlistenable but he is far better than dale arnold ever was. 

It's too bad Dave Goucher is on the radio.  He's a real pro and has great chemistry with Bob Beers.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Jack Edwards:
    Anyone else absolutely loathe him? -His "hilarious" comedy routine where he and Brickly say something borderline funny and then laugh like jackses -His screaming orgasms when the OTHER TEAM scores. Especially bad when it's a backbreakign goal. I understand not wanting to be a homer, but good lord....
    Posted by Bleedinblackandgold

I always sau=y about Edwards:

1) He's a geek-fest as a color guy and he and Brick are about as funny as a comedy duo as a nail and a hammer.

2) He may the BEST pure play-by-play announcer I've ever seen. He excells at keeping right on top of every single instant of the fastest-moving, hardest-to-call sport there is, and that's no small feat.

Do I get a little sick of hearing "scales it down the river"? Sure. But after years of watching Fred Cusick half-mutter half-yell "he scores" 10 seconds AFTER the puck's been buried in the back of the net, I'll take E's heads-up PBP any day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Del2006. Show Del2006's posts

I feel bad for him...he has serious health problems, it's embarassing for Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i love edwards.  unfortunately, i'm stuck with cbc for the rest of the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

He has taken his act way too far and lost all of credibility (what little he had left). He'd never be hired for a national gig when he gets fired from NESN. If anyone remembers the Crunch & Munch guy from the FleetCenter that is a gig he is now more suited for.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Comparing Edwards to Jiggs McDonald, Emerick, Jim Hughson, or even someone like as decent as Sam Rosen or even the slighlty annoying, but unique Mike Lange, is ridiculous.

Jim Hughson?  Really?  You just blew your credibility.  When Jim Hughson calls Canucks games, he almost never mentions anyone on the opposing team.  In his eyes, the Canucks are the gods of hockey, and the other teams are lucky to be competing on the same ice surface.  The only time he mentions a player on the other team is when they either score on the Canucks or shut them down, which is then described as either lucky or a superhuman feat.

I like Jack.  Yeah, sometimes his over-the-top homerism is cringe-worthy, but he is good with calling plays made by both teams, and is obviously a fan of the game.  Andy Brickley is a good partner for him because he can reel Jack in when he gets too carried away.  Not the typical play-by-play/color commentator relationship, but it works.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

It's stunning to see so many Jack supporters.  I thought Dale Arnold was bad with how he overannounciated everything and every player's name, but Jack is like a cartoon character on acid.

And that's a bad thing???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

It's too bad Dave Goucher is on the radio.  He's a real pro and has great chemistry with Bob Beers.
    Posted by VJR123

They're outstanding.  You're right.....Gouch is a total pro.  And I find Beers to be a very underrated color analyst.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There's no right or wrong here, it's just a matter of taste.  At first I didn't like him, but now I think he's great.  If I use GameCenter Live and flip between feeds, I way prefer the Bruins broadcast.  He's got a tonne of over-the-top enthusiasm and I like that he's a bit of a homer.  He knows the Bruins.  After watching another network, going back to NESN is like an old friend.  If you watch TSN Sportscenter, they will often include Jack's post goal comments just for enteretainment sake.  I like hearing something crazy coming from the play by play guy as I high five and swig my beer after the Bruins finally pot one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

As long as I don't have to ever listen to Jeanneret from Buffalo I'm ok. Anybody who sounds like that soccer announcer and having a seizure at the same time needs to go away. Beninati is tolerable when he does national games that don't involve the Caps. Best overall with a great passion for the game and knows hockey inside and out is Mike Emrick.

Sections
Shortcuts