Jagr-Esposito

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Jagr-Esposito

Didn't realize that up until last night, Phil Esposito had the record for most career game winning goals. 

Quite a testament to old Espo's significance when considering all those who've since come along and the record stood.

I can't think of a player in Phil's era whose talent was so regularly questioned.  Despite his otherworld scoring in 69,70,71 and 72, he was given little  credit for his own abilities.  Much of the hockey world preferred to merely consider him the lucky recipient of playing on a team with Bobby Orr, and the rest of the supporting cast.

It wasn't til the fall of 72 that Esposito slammed the door on his critics.  Despite the fact that, by then, he had already peaked as a player, his place as a true superstar became cemented.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Jagr-Esposito

I loved Phil when he was a Bruin. The come-back I always remember for the "garbage-goal Phil" people (mostly Shab and Laff fans) was that if it was so easy, why didn't their teams stop him?  Move him out of the slot.  Beat him to rebounds.  Contain him on the cycle.  Think I first heard it from one of my few decent hockey coaches.  But he was also the first guy I learned to hate when the jersey colours changed.  Phil the Ranger was just a bigger-than-life lightning rod for attention.  I remember a game where he in fact did deliberately flip the puck over the glass in order to get a whistle and relieve the pressure and he took a penalty for delay of game.  Almost unheard of then.  He kvetched the whole way to the box even though it was obvious that he had chosen to delay the game.  And I laughed at him - ya big goof, serves ya right.

When he went to the Rangers and his numbers dropped, the door he slammed is '72 bounced right back open again and stayed that way for a long time.  To be honest, I think people's opinions of him only really started to level off at the respect he deserved when Gretzky and Bossy arrived at almost the same time and started pumping home goals at a rate that put both Espo's and Howe's records in question.  Everyone could see what a surreal scorer Bossy was, so the fact he never eclipsed Phil's 76 made that number more impressive. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There is the debate that game winning RBIs and game winning goals are just a coincidence. I don't buy it, athletes that consistently do it are good at IT and put themselves in that position to come through in the crunch.

It's why Fred Lynn became my favorite player. He was always doing something big with the game was on the line. Middleton, Sakic, Yzerman, LaFontaine all did big things in big games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Man, does Phil know how to hold a grudge....still grousing to whomever will listen about his 'mistreatment' by the Bruins when he was traded to NYR.
    (I was was shocked and bitter too when that happened, but I'm over it NOW)

Bitter, bitter man. Those things willcome back to haunt you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

Man, does Phil know how to hold a grudge....still grousing to whomever will listen about his 'mistreatment' by the Bruins when he was traded to NYR.
    (I was was shocked and bitter too when that happened, but I'm over it NOW)

Bitter, bitter man. Those things willcome back to haunt you.

Yeah, I can understand your feelings there, but on the other hand....that bitterness is only because he was so devestated.  The devastation was only because he absolutely loved Boston, and the Bruins.  Most athletes don't care that much, so they move on quickly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I loved Phil when he was a Bruin. The come-back I always remember for the "garbage-goal Phil" people (mostly Shab and Laff fans) was that if it was so easy, why didn't their teams stop him?  Move him out of the slot.  Beat him to rebounds.  Contain him on the cycle.  Think I first heard it from one of my few decent hockey coaches.  But he was also the first guy I learned to hate when the jersey colours changed.  Phil the Ranger was just a bigger-than-life lightning rod for attention.  I remember a game where he in fact did deliberately flip the puck over the glass in order to get a whistle and relieve the pressure and he took a penalty for delay of game.  Almost unheard of then.  He kvetched the whole way to the box even though it was obvious that he had chosen to delay the game.  And I laughed at him - ya big goof, serves ya right.

When he went to the Rangers and his numbers dropped, the door he slammed is '72 bounced right back open again and stayed that way for a long time.  To be honest, I think people's opinions of him only really started to level off at the respect he deserved when Gretzky and Bossy arrived at almost the same time and started pumping home goals at a rate that put both Espo's and Howe's records in question.  Everyone could see what a surreal scorer Bossy was, so the fact he never eclipsed Phil's 76 made that number more impressive. 

You mean Kessel ? Phat Phil seems to be quite opportunistic as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I talk to Phil a lot & he's a straight shooter. Love that about him! He doesn't kiss anybody's behind to get anywhere. He says how he feels & he isn't a turn coat unlike most people. He doesn't hold a grudge against the B's. It was the way they traded him that upset him. He said he's over the fact of being traded, but he said it took him a long time to get over how unprofessional Sinden & Cherry were about it. He felt he did enough as a Bruin to be shown a little more respect. He said when the Bruins retired his number is when he finally let it all go & Cherry admitted that he was wrong  for the way he told Phil. Said him & Cherry are a lot alike in their stubborn ways & that caused some clashes, but they have the highest regard for one another now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

There is the debate that game winning RBIs and game winning goals are just a coincidence. I don't buy it, athletes that consistently do it are good at IT and put themselves in that position to come through in the crunch.

It's why Fred Lynn became my favorite player. He was always doing something big with the game was on the line. Middleton, Sakic, Yzerman, LaFontaine all did big things in big games.

I think as an overall statement, they are a coincidence.  The second part of your thought is the kicker.  Those that do it "a lot" over the long haul, are in their own category.  Superstardom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I would say that is being a clutch player. Able to come through when the opportunity presents itself. Being in the position is coincidence (for game winning RBI's) but pulling through and doing it is clutch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In the interview they said jagr passed Esposito for all-time game winning goals. NHL Network said he is still 2 behind Howe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In the interview they said jagr passed Esposito for all-time game winning goals. NHL Network said he is still 2 behind Howe.

Think they NHL included Howe's WHA stats ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Not sure he has moved on to a good place with the Bruins based on his recent comments:

“I have no feeling for these teams. There’s nothing emotional about it. They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/screw-espo-rips-bruins-blackhawks-article-1.1370429

In an interview with Fox 13 Tampa last week, NHL hall of famer Phil Esposito -- a member of the Bruins' 1972 and 1970 Stanley Cup championship teams whose jersey hangs from the rafters at TD Garden -- said he "could give one damn about Boston."

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2011/05/phil_esposito_d.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

You mean Kessel ? Phat Phil seems to be quite opportunistic as well.

It helped that he was playing the Oilers. Let's not forget that fact, folks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Think they NHL included Howe's WHA stats ?

Tough to get an accurate answer San, but that exactly what I thought when I heard it.

Look at this.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-game-winning-goals-leaders.html

and then this.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/goals_gw_career.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Not sure he has moved on to a good place with the Bruins based on his recent comments:

“I have no feeling for these teams. There’s nothing emotional about it. They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/screw-espo-rips-bruins-blackhawks-article-1.1370429

In an interview with Fox 13 Tampa last week, NHL hall of famer Phil Esposito -- a member of the Bruins' 1972 and 1970 Stanley Cup championship teams whose jersey hangs from the rafters at TD Garden -- said he "could give one damn about Boston."

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2011/05/phil_esposito_d.html

Well the media would never take anything out of context right Crowls? I talked to Phil right after he said this during the finals & there was a thread about it on here. So, I asked him why he said that & that he said he was asked the question about his feelings about 2 of his 3 former teams in the Finals he said....in a joking angry tone. “I have no feeling for these teams . They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them." and then laughed. But he also admitted that he really could care less about who wins, because he's loyal to the T-Bay Lightning. So, it's up to each individual how they want to take things I guess. 

Sections
Shortcuts