Jagr - Yes another discussion on him.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Jagr - Yes another discussion on him.

BFII no one is following you around. You post in a thread and the regulars here read every thread. If you post something controversial and don't expect people to respond you need to find a new place to vent your frustrations where no one can respond.

With that being said I think that Jagr has taught some of the younger Bruins how to better control the puck. Since his arrival and his use of his free hand to hold off opposing defenseman I have seen several other Bruins employ the same tactic. It is very effective and he always commands a double team which means that someone else has to be left open. It has happened multiple times because the teams defense has to be aware of where Jagr is at all times because he can and will bring it. He has been inches away from scoring several times. If he doesn't hit the post and he scores that goal in the 3rd this is a different conversation. If he buries that shot that hit the butt of Reimer's stick and wins the game, this is a different conversation. The fact is that he creates space and consistantly makes plays that makes the other teams defense have to make quick decisions, and with quick decisions come mistakes. With mistakes come doubt, and with doubt comes failure. I like his presence but would like to see him on shorter shifts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This probably could have gone in the thread marked "Jagr".

Also, I disagree with everything you've written.

notashot, absolutely agree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

I don't care about past laurels. I live in the present, it's 2013 and that is my team out there. I am thrilled that is Jagr's resume. Absolutely thrilled for him. I don't care what he did following Lemieux around for 8 years in Pittsburgh.  I really don't.  He was a Euro player then, he still is now which is why he hasn't won a Cup in 20 years.

He's busy jumping around the Atlanic division teams or playing in Europe.  It's always about Jaromir.

Note the difference between the fire with Recchi and this guy, too. To even pretend he should be on a checking line is embarrassing. He doesn't know what the word means.

Im gonna disagree that he only cares about himself.  Have you seen any of his interviews since he became a Bruins?  Jagr is a guy who just loves playing hockey. He's said that if you think you are too old to learn in hockey then you are stupid.  Hes also said constantly looks forward to both teaching and learning from younger players.    

Im disappointed he hasnt scored in the playoffs, but im confident that will come.  He seems to love being a bruin, and to me, his effort is almost always there.  Love watching him play especially with Bergeron and Marchand.

I certainly dont think Daugavains or Soderberg could do any better.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

When Jagr is out of position, he is almost always on the ice with someone who can cover for him.  When you get a player like Jagr, you gotta expect not a perfect two-way game, thats one of the main reason I love him paired with Bergeron and Marchand, they are fast on the back check.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

BFII no one is following you around. You post in a thread and the regulars here read every thread. If you post something controversial and don't expect people to respond you need to find a new place to vent your frustrations where no one can respond.

With that being said I think that Jagr has taught some of the younger Bruins how to better control the puck. Since his arrival and his use of his free hand to hold off opposing defenseman I have seen several other Bruins employ the same tactic. It is very effective and he always commands a double team which means that someone else has to be left open. It has happened multiple times because the teams defense has to be aware of where Jagr is at all times because he can and will bring it. He has been inches away from scoring several times. If he doesn't hit the post and he scores that goal in the 3rd this is a different conversation. If he buries that shot that hit the butt of Reimer's stick and wins the game, this is a different conversation. The fact is that he creates space and consistantly makes plays that makes the other teams defense have to make quick decisions, and with quick decisions come mistakes. With mistakes come doubt, and with doubt comes failure. I like his presence but would like to see him on shorter shifts.

I posted the original topic on this before the game was in the third period. And even if he had scored, Id still feel the same way about his play on the ice. Scoring a goal, doesnt change the way he played the entire game and for the most part, the playoffs. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and elevates his game, especially playing with Marchand and Bergy... M & B are phenomenal players, which can only help and compliment Jagr, if he would just utilize them a little more. I definitely feel Recchi complimented M&B moreso than Jagr does, but I think its Jagr style of play that is holding him back from putting up the numbers we all know he is capable of. He's his own worst enemy.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:

In response to lambda13's comment:

I posted the original topic on this before the game was in the third period. And even if he had scored, Id still feel the same way about his play on the ice. Scoring a goal, doesnt change the way he played the entire game and for the most part, the playoffs. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and elevates his game, especially playing with Marchand and Bergy... M & B are phenomenal players, which can only help and compliment Jagr, if he would just utilize them a little more. I definitely feel Recchi complimented M&B moreso than Jagr does, but I think its Jagr style of play that is holding him back from putting up the numbers we all know he is capable of. He's his own worst enemy.

That's fair, I just don't think his short comings are that short.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Jagr played nearly 6 minutes of an overtime that didn't make it to the 16 minute mark.  I doubt his conditioning is bad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Bassfishing I understand where you are coming from. I do think the PP looks better with him on it, but thats just my opinion. The curling in the corner is definitely his calling card, but more often than not, he draws two opposing players, and is able to dish the puck out to a bruin with no coverage, which is why i dont mind.  Its not gonna work everytime, and sometimes when two guys are trying to knock him off the puck, he will get knocked off the puck.  WIth a player of his calibre, in my opinion, you take the good, with the bad.  IMO his age is def catching up with him, but let him play.  He does create chances.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Understandable, we've been quite spoiled here in Boston. I'm ok with one guy that is primarily offensively minded when he's out with Bergeron and Marchand.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Bassfishing I understand where you are coming from. I do think the PP looks better with him on it, but thats just my opinion. The curling in the corner is definitely his calling card, but more often than not, he draws two opposing players, and is able to dish the puck out to a bruin with no coverage, which is why i dont mind.  Its not gonna work everytime, and sometimes when two guys are trying to knock him off the puck, he will get knocked off the puck.  WIth a player of his calibre, in my opinion, you take the good, with the bad.  IMO his age is def catching up with him, but let him play.  He does create chances.

Clearly, I am in the minority here and that's fine.  I just hope his style doesn't end up costing us one of these close games.

You have to admit, there are many cases where we get burned in transition and it's usually because his lack of puck control or sluggish skating.

I agree. He coughs the puck up to frequently. Partly because he holds on to the puck too long or tries to make a move his 40 something year old body isnt capable of doing anymore.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Jagr played nearly 6 minutes of an overtime that didn't make it to the 16 minute mark.  I doubt his conditioning is bad.

Careful. Too much logic, fellow Doc.

You will expose yourself as actually knowing what you are talking about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Clearly, I am in the minority here and that's fine.  I just hope his style doesn't end up costing us one of these close games.

You have to admit, there are many cases where we get burned in transition and it's usually because his lack of puck control or sluggish skating.

Lucic turns the puck over more in one period then jagr does in 2 gms.  And if he does turn the puck over its after a battle down low so it usually wont hurt us that far away.  It is a matter of time before the pts follow him.  His skill has not slowed.  Maybe his body has slown down but his hands are awesome.   Toews hasnt done much either in chicago.  But they are winning.  Who cares if he has 10 pts or 2.   The TEAM is winning and hes a big part of it.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:

I agree. He coughs the puck up to frequently. Partly because he holds on to the puck too long or tries to make a move his 40 something year old body isnt capable of doing anymore.

Exactly. I'd like to see him stop looking for this perfect pass when has control. Just unload it. Shoot it if you want.  It appears like he does hold onto too long, the defenders converge, and they just easily take it off his stick.

Kreicji is very good with it.  Oates used to be a master drawing guys in and then waiting to the last possible second to hit someone wide open, but it was very rare that they would wait, wait and wait and then turn it over at high rates like that. Savard was also great at it.

Most of the B's are good along the boards. Actually thats one thing that impresses me about the B's. Is the board work and how these guys come away with the puck with a D Man draped all over them. Krejci and Marchand seem to be some of the best at doing it. Very elusive and slick on the puck. Krejci's play has been elevated. He is playing great and skating hard. Very engaged. Everyone is skating hard, his play sticks out a little more right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Clearly, I am in the minority here and that's fine.

By "here" do you mean every thread you post in?  If so, I agree. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Same things were said about Recchi. All the same stuff. I was glad Recchi was here and I'm equally glad Jagr's here. Both do small, effective, smart things every game and Jagr has helped bring the power play alive. He also carries the puck effectively and makes great, crisp passes. Everyone has bad shifts and makes mistakes. Right now it's just the whine du jour to complain about Jagr. He'll score 2 soon enough and that'll be that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

Same things were said about Recchi. All the same stuff. I was glad Recchi was here and I'm equally glad Jagr's here. Both do small, effective, smart things every game and Jagr has helped bring the power play alive. He also carries the puck effectively and makes great, crisp passes. Everyone has bad shifts and makes mistakes. Right now it's just the whine du jour to complain about Jagr. He'll score 2 soon enough and that'll be that.

Smart Crisp passes, Carries the puck effectively. LOL...Thats a good one....He forces too much. And holds on to the puck too long.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts