Jagr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Jagr

BUMP

Like to see more discussion about Jagr.  I still believe he has the goods to be a big piece of the puzzle here.  I think his offensive side is somewhat hampered by his teamates, but disagree that's a reason to hang on to the puck as long as he has been.  When 2 guys get on him, he needs to depend more on the cycle.  Jagr is great at drawing players to him, but that only works if he gets rid of the puck.  He's still incredibly skilled at maintaining possesion, but nobody can hold off half a team by themselves.

I can see the logic in playing Jagr with highly skilled defensive players "somewhat", but it seems to kind of work against the whole logic of having a player like him.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can honestly say Jagr has more than I thought he did, when we got him.  So, the emphasis I believe, is on management to put him in a position to excell, as opposed to the cureent position of compliance.  Is moving him into a position on one of the 2 top lines reasonable?  Can he function highly on either side?   Seems to be a huge downside to that scenario...or is there? 

I didn't see this at the deadline, but this guy still has area's in which he can dominate.  His weaknesses so far, should be really easy to remedy.  Having said that...I know many players of his pedigree are tough to coach.

Would seem to me that putting Jagr on a line with Soderberg and Dauvigins(spell?) could ignite some serious offensive potential, but also pretty much gurantee defensive disaster. 

What to do?  Am I mistaking his potential here?

I'd be interested to read more comments on how to best utilize this guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jagr is needed badly on the powerplay, Kelly and Peverley are insanely good in the faceoff dot so Julien has to mix Jagr into the top two lines on the fly.

Kelly and Peverley remain in their deep, dark offensive hole so Jagr trys to over compensate and then holds the puck too long cause he knows passing to his linemates means the puck mine as well be dropped down a bottomless pit.

Until Peverley and Kelly wake up, Jagr will suffer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

HE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CRISS CROSS (respeck) WHEN ENTERING THE ZONE WHICH HELPS CREATE SEAMS, PASSING LANES AND SHOOTING LANES.

IT CREATES A SCORING CHANCE ALMOST EVERY TIME HE DOES IT, RATHER THAN THE 0% SHOT FROM THE WING THAT USUALLY MISSES THE NET AND WRAPS AROUND THE BOARDS AND BACK OUT OF THE ZONE LEADING TO AN ODD MAN RUSH FOR THE OTHER TEAM BECAUSE THE BRUINS HAVE A VERY HARD TIME REALIZING THAT IF YOU GO FLYING PAST THE NET YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BE IN A GOOD POSITION TO COLLECT A REBOUND OR TO GRAB THAT WRAP-AROUND MISS BEFORE IT LEAVES THE ZONE. 

Other players should follow Jagr's lead on this move when entering the zone, but they may be too scared to ever make a mistake to make it effective because it's *possibly* a dangerous play if you lose the puck when heading towards the middle of the ice near the blue line. Of course you'll be in a better position to recover than you will on a net flyby so there's that.

To summarize:

criss cross when entering the zone

read the defense to determine the best play to make as the defense adjusts to all the movement

make a good pass or a shot for a rebound

if you don't have the puck, don't "fly by" the net and be surprised when the PUCK ISN'T BACK THERE.

Jagr is very close to having a big effect offensively on this team, and the Rangers might be the perfect, slow-down, half-court, grind it out system for him to be effective against.

I looks forwards to the Jagr scoring much.

Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

Still think the lines should be Jagr, Seguin and Kelly....Peverly up with Marchand and Bergeron...Jagr and Seguin are what each other need(trigger man/set up guy) and if you put Jagr with Begeron and Marchand they would defer to him and there arent enough pucks on the ice as Bergeron and Marchand like to handle the egg as well....so to maximize the most out of your players/lines..............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to golden9x2's comment:

Still think the lines should be Jagr, Seguin and Kelly....Peverly up with Marchand and Bergeron...Jagr and Seguin are what each other need(trigger man/set up guy) and if you put Jagr with Begeron and Marchand they would defer to him and there arent enough pucks on the ice as Bergeron and Marchand like to handle the egg as well....so to maximize the most out of your players/lines..............

I think that is an intriguing idea.  I might make it my second option in the next round if the team still needs to be sparked.  For now my first choice is that they try to respark the Marchand-Bergie-Seguin line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Yea, the Marchand/Beregron Seguin line only created and scored the the Series-winning OT goal against the Leafs the other night.

And Claude, today at practice, was skating Marchand and Bergeron with Jagr.

It took 6 games to get Claude to change this line, now is he gonna wait 6 games to change it back? I think they (Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin) get it. And i think they should be allowed to pick up where they left off.

Why? For the same reason that you go with the goalie coming off a shutout - because you believe in magic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

With his size and skill he may

break against the Rangers!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I think the problem is that Jagr is light years ahead of Kelly and Peverley in skill and sense.  He doesn't pass because those two don't get open.  Notice how often he has the puck, however?  The guy is still incredible, but unless the B's upgrade the other two spots on that line (or make room on 1 or 2...which is unlikely) I don't think Jagr sticks around after this year.

He could be a stopgap if they can't or don't want to get Horton re-signed.

Exactly on Jagr's problems stemming from lack of linemates.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I think the problem is that Jagr is light years ahead of Kelly and Peverley in skill and sense.  He doesn't pass because those two don't get open.  Notice how often he has the puck, however?  The guy is still incredible, but unless the B's upgrade the other two spots on that line (or make room on 1 or 2...which is unlikely) I don't think Jagr sticks around after this year.

He could be a stopgap if they can't or don't want to get Horton re-signed.

Im hoping Spooner makes the team out of camp next year.  Then again, I am what Bass Fisher would consider a "fanboy dork"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Jagr is needed badly on the powerplay, Kelly and Peverley are insanely good in the faceoff dot so Julien has to mix Jagr into the top two lines on the fly.

Kelly and Peverley remain in their deep, dark offensive hole so Jagr trys to over compensate and then holds the puck too long cause he knows passing to his linemates means the puck mine as well be dropped down a bottomless pit.

Until Peverley and Kelly wake up, Jagr will suffer.

Agreed.  I'd like to break Peverley and Kelly up.  Im thinking Peverley to fourth, Campbell to third.  Campbell doesnt have the offense of a third line player, but at least you know where to find him....

....In front of the net.  I reward players who go to the net....And I think that it compiments Jagr's style well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Peverly and Kelly are a shadow of how they were in Cup winning playoff run...it's sad. But they have a chance to either get better or become healthy scratches. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK, Claude thinks Bergeron/Marchand are a better fit for Jagr, and maybe Marchand will just ignore his fascination with Jagr's reputation and play his [Marchand's] own game. We saw that Jagr actually tried to take the puck from marshy a few times, but that doesn't help anyone, so just maybe a practice will alighn the stars. Having Seguin with Kelly and Peverly isn't a poor choice as the increased speed and shooting skill could pay dividends. It also looks like Seggy took note and re-focused as in the game winning goal. I'm not that big a fan of Jagr's as the kids from Toronto didn't have that much trouble disrupting his play with their speed and checking. It was a reasonable gamble by Chiarelli, but one and done is what i would prefer, particularly with Spooner, KoKo, and others coming down the pike.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Agreed.  I'd like to break Peverley and Kelly up.  Im thinking Peverley to fourth, Campbell to third.  Campbell doesnt have the offense of a third line player, but at least you know where to find him....

....In front of the net.  I reward players who go to the net....And I think that it compiments Jagr's style well.

I love this idea.  I might switch it up a tad though.  I might send Kelly to the fourth and let Peverley Center the third.  I have not been as dissapointed in Kelly overall, but I also haven't seen as many positives out of him.  I think he has been largely invisible, while Peverley seems like he might find a spark given the proper opportunity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

OK, Claude thinks Bergeron/Marchand are a better fit for Jagr, and maybe Marchand will just ignore his fascination with Jagr's reputation and play his [Marchand's] own game. We saw that Jagr actually tried to take the puck from marshy a few times, but that doesn't help anyone, so just maybe a practice will alighn the stars. Having Seguin with Kelly and Peverly isn't a poor choice as the increased speed and shooting skill could pay dividends. It also looks like Seggy took note and re-focused as in the game winning goal. I'm not that big a fan of Jagr's as the kids from Toronto didn't have that much trouble disrupting his play with their speed and checking. It was a reasonable gamble by Chiarelli, but one and done is what i would prefer, particularly with Spooner, KoKo, and others coming down the pike.

thats why I say Seguin with Jagr and Kelly....Jagr is unintentionally disruptive to the flow of linemates who like to have a modicum of puck possession i.e. Marchand and Bergeron..I think he would alter those two and their chemistry...again to reiterate Seguin and Jagr are tailor made for that reason, Seguin(when on his game) finds open spots to shoot, Kelly , go to the net and be the responsible defensive player while Jagr hangs onto the puck( about two players too long in my estimation against Toronto but...) and waits for both Kelly to crash said net and create traffic and Seguin to find the open snipers perch...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Yea, the Marchand/Beregron Seguin line only created and scored the the Series-winning OT goal against the Leafs the other night.

It took 6 games to get Claude to change this line, now is he gonna wait 6 games to change it back? I think they (Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin) get it. And i think they should be allowed to pick up where they left off.

Why? For the same reason that you go with the goalie coming off a shutout - because you believe in magic.

I read somewhere that Seguin was out on that shift because Jagr had skate issues

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

I read somewhere that Seguin was out on that shift because Jagr had skate issues

Yeah, they weren't fast enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Come on i wasn't being negative he really had a problem with his skate,I don't want to get in trouble.LoL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Come on i wasn't being negative he really had a problem with his skate,I don't want to get in trouble.LoL

That was kinda funny kitch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

LOL Awesome Dez!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Jagr does look slow out there, but I wonder if it's just deception.  He always seems to be ahead of the play with the puck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm sorry, I'm not going to buy the Jagr is too slow bit costing him. He was there on 2 key late goals, making some great passes on each of the last 2 games. And of course it was an odd-man advantage, thanks to the referees only due to pulling the goalie. Recchi was slower than molasses too and he did enough to cause havoc and muck it up in front of the net. Jagr's skill set is still leaps and bounds better than several B's. If he is passing to a Lucic or making a pass to a Bergeron, I  can guarantee he's put them in a position to make a great shot in a strong scoring chance. When he holds on to the puck and draws 2 guys to him, he's opening up space for the other forwards and the d-men who pinch in. No, he is not the Jagr of yesteryear, scoring at will, and destroying other teams with his threatening offense. But he's also not deadweight and he serves a purpose for the B's. He can be a real threat if his linemates can click with him. I'm all for him playing on several lines, there's no reason he can't be one shift, and you can double-shift others like Seguin who could be with Marchand and Bergeron and switch to Peverly and Kelly on other shifts. If Seguin clicks with Marchand/Bergeron---which has not happened yet---then it's all good. But Jagr is my guy on any PP and he's a guy I want out there to create offense. Just not with Peverly and Kelly, who he clearly is frustrated with both's inability to get open or go to the net.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Jagr does look slow out there, but I wonder if it's just deception.  He always seems to be ahead of the play with the puck!

His hockey sense is off that charts. The anticipation he shows as to where the puck is going to be is and where the lanes he can take with the puck is what compensates for his lack of speed.

He has honed his craft quite well......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BritishColumbiaBruin. Show BritishColumbiaBruin's posts

I like Jagr with Bergeron and Marchand.  May get Marchand going.  Maybe Seguin facing the rangers third D pairing might be what he needs to get him going if he can exploit his speed versus the lesser pairings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BritishColumbiaBruin's comment:

I like Jagr with Bergeron and Marchand.  May get Marchand going.  Maybe Seguin facing the rangers third D pairing might be what he needs to get him going if he can exploit his speed versus the lesser pairings.

If that third pairing is Moore and Eminger then Seguin really will have plenty of opportunity to score....if his linemates can help out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

If that third pairing is Moore and Eminger then Seguin really will have plenty of opportunity to score....if his linemates can help out.

If Kelly and Peverley end up finding their scoring touch, Boston better get the Duck Boats ready.