Jay Pandolfo....are you kidding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Jay Pandolfo....are you kidding

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Unless Garth Snow has an eye on him, all kidding aside, I like this signing, someone in the bottom six goes down he can step right in..Good, useful player for the role he would be playing.

lol....Snow already had him last season and chose not to resign him so I am sure they will pass.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to Rufus604's comment:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Jay Pandolfo's AAV with BOS on 1-yr deal is $600K, annual salary of $350K in minors. All pro-rated now of course. Now must clear waivers.

Terrific, finally some help for the B's anemic PP....oh wait.

Pointless waste of a roster space.

I think they have roster spaces to waste so why not?

How many are you allowed?  I think it's 50.  I don't think it would be all that hard to clear some guys out from the bottom 5 if they had to.

I think they did well finding Miro the other year and Recchi worked out well, if there were someone else out there I think the odds were good that PC would have found someone better.  Could there be some other recently retired gem out there?  Sure.  But it's not like it's the first old guy they brought in.

And it's not like PC had a track history of getting an old guy in - like Paul Cofey (remember that?) and then have it turn out really ugly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Glad you mentioned Kelly. I lived in Gateneau for a few years due to work and saw Kelly play many, many games since he was first called up from Bingo. He was and still is an excellent third line center who can pop in a few goals when need be. His role was integral to the Sens march to the finals a few years ago and the B's cup win. He may now be a bit overpaid but I have always thought he was an excellent pickup.

I have nothing against Pandolfo, don't get me wrong. Just keep a few things in mind. He was not good enough for any team to sign until the B's just did and he will clear waivers for the same reason. CJ is comfortable with him and that is the only reason he is now a Bruin.

I respect PC but he is not infallible and I do not have to agree with everything he does. If Pandolfo is playing anywhere other than the 4rth line at any time this season then PC will have failed to provide the team adequete depth, much like last year when Horton was never properly replaced.

It is now done and so be it. Welcome aboard Jay!!! Go Bruins!!!

I don't expect that any of us will agree with and applaud all of PC's decisions. I'm simply pointing out that the guy has a pretty good track record when it comes to identifying and fulfilling team needs. I'm just willing to wait and see before I worry about the possible results.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

One other thought - and forgive me for "going Stanley", but he's coming back to his home town.  Playing in the city you grew up in (well, ok, playing for the city your home town was kind of close to) might infuse a little more energy into him.  It just *might* provide a bit more incentive for him.

There is a *possibility* that his career might have a little bit of a rebirth.  

OK, I swear I'll take off th black and gold glasses and quit drinking for a while.

Oh come on, if you can get yourself into a giddy enough mood you might be able to imagine a fairy tale or two yourself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I don't expect that any of us will agree with and applaud all of PC's decisions. I'm simply pointing out that the guy has a pretty good track record when it comes to identifying and fulfilling team needs. I'm just willing to wait and see before I worry about the possible results.

Fair enough, I was not suggesting the contrary. Its done and as a fan above anything else I hope Pandolfo becomes a productive member of the team en route to its second cup in three seasons.

Now, about those Rangers......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

One other thought - and forgive me for "going Stanley", but he's coming back to his home town.  Playing in the city you grew up in (well, ok, playing for the city your home town was kind of close to) might infuse a little more energy into him.  It just *might* provide a bit more incentive for him.

There is a *possibility* that his career might have a little bit of a rebirth.  

OK, I swear I'll take off th black and gold glasses and quit drinking for a while.

Oh come on, if you can get yourself into a giddy enough mood you might be able to imagine a fairy tale or two yourself.

heh...to be fair, I think my matter of fact writting style may come across more abrasive then it means to be. I have no beef with Jay and will leave it at that.

Cheers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't see the guy as a Recchi type, but you never know. If they were going to bring in someone older. I'd prefer Ryan Smith. I also hope that PC takes a look at Ryan Whitney as possibility. Things aren't going well for either player in Oilland, but they both could help a little more than Johnson & Pandolfo here imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Does this mean that Lane MacDermind will be placed on waivers?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Fair enough, I was not suggesting the contrary. Its done and as a fan above anything else I hope Pandolfo becomes a productive member of the team en route to its second cup in three seasons.

Now, about those Rangers......

I feel the same way as you do but have trouble agreeing with people :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I feel the same way as you do but have trouble agreeing with people :)

hah....I sincerely hope that our new Bruin will silence the doubters (me) and score on a short handed breakaway on his first shift with his new team. I would never print a bad word about him again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Does this mean that Lane MacDermind will be placed on waivers?  

Looks like it.....if he gets snatched then that would be unfortunate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't see the guy as a Recchi type, but you never know. If they were going to bring in someone older. I'd prefer Ryan Smith. I also hope that PC takes a look at Ryan Whitney as possibility. Things aren't going well for either player in Oilland, but they both could help a little more than Johnson & Pandolfo here imo.

Rumour has it that Whitney will soon be traded (healthy scratch tonight)...possibly to Philly. We will find out soon enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

100% honest, I'd rather see Jay in the lineup over Chris Bourque.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

jm, who do you think we should have gotten to replace Horton? How would he fit on the team now? What would we have had to give up to replace Horton? Do you know of a store where top-line forwards are stocked to the walls? I understand you don't agree with the signing but there really is no down-side to it. PC isn't signing Pandolfo to be a top 6 forward. He signed him to fill in on the 3rd or 4th line. We have players on those lines (Peverley, Campbell apparently..., among others in Providence that can get tries) on the other lines.

Not attacking just pointing out, there's not much available right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I give Bourque some credit for the last game. He didn't look quite as overmatched out there. It's not likely but I hope he continues to improve.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Interesting. Personally I think neither are adequete and PC will solve this issue at the deadline. For now....full steam ahead.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

jm, who do you think we should have gotten to replace Horton? How would he fit on the team now? What would we have had to give up to replace Horton? Do you know of a store where top-line forwards are stocked to the walls? I understand you don't agree with the signing but there really is no down-side to it. PC isn't signing Pandolfo to be a top 6 forward. He signed him to fill in on the 3rd or 4th line. We have players on those lines (Peverley, Campbell apparently..., among others in Providence that can get tries) on the other lines.

First, Horton was injured just over half way through last season. The team had no one in the pipeline that could fill his spot nor was PC able to plug it via a trade even though he had plenty of time to do so. That is a fault of management plain and simple.

Second, there is a down side to Pandolfo, a roster spot. There are only so many a team can have and now one is used up. Also, those players you list for fill-ins on other lines prove my point about Horton in that none of them could really be put in a top-six spot for any length of time, as proven by last season when they all had a shot to do so and failed.

In this case, the team is off to a terrific start and anchored by their strong D and PK. Their weakness is the PP. Pandolfo does not help with this in any scenario put forward. So why?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

First, Horton was injured just over half way through last season. The team had no one in the pipeline that could fill his spot nor was PC able to plug it via a trade even though he had plenty of time to do so. That is a fault of management plain and simple.

Second, there is a down side to Pandolfo, a roster spot. There are only so many a team can have and now one is used up. Also, those players you list for fill-ins on other lines prove my point about Horton in that none of them could really be put in a top-six spot for any length of time, as proven by last season when they all had a shot to do so and failed.

In this case, the team is off to a terrific start and anchored by their strong D and PK. Their weakness is the PP. Pandolfo does not help with this in any scenario put forward. So why?

Correct and who was traded and/or available at the half last year that wasn't going to cost us a major roster player?

We moved TT and picked up Pandolfo. I see no lost roster spot. Also would you really care if we dropped someone on the bottom end of Providence a la Trent Whitfield? I personally wouldn't lose any sleep.

As for the Horton scenario, am I mistaken in thinking Peverley was out for a portion of that which was what caused the issue in the first place? Now that we can clearly plug Seguin in with Lucic and Krejci we could shift Peverley to that line. It is impossible to have a top-six guy waiting to plug in in case of injury. If he's a top six guy he'll go elsewhere and be playing, not watching and waiting.

There are 6 possible players that can get hurt are we going to have room on the team for 3 top six capable players to fill each? I just don't your logic. Pandolfo can fill in the 3rd or 4th line. That's what he's here for.

I can't think of a single team with a top-six ready guy to plug in in case of injury really.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Correct and who was traded and/or available at the half last year that wasn't going to cost us a major roster player?

We will never know because nothing was done. We only know who was available and for what when something actually does happen. None of us are NHL managers (I think....lol). Just remember, it is easy to do nothing than to do something. PC chose the former and the B's were out in the first round due to their inability to score goals, something Horton or an adequete replacement may have helped with.

We moved TT and picked up Pandolfo. I see no lost roster spot. Also would you really care if we dropped someone on the bottom end of Providence a la Trent Whitfield? I personally wouldn't lose any sleep.

So why waste the roster space on a guy we don't necessarily need? Its not like the team is in a rush for replacements, they are 8-1-1 after all. This is my argument.

As for the Horton scenario, am I mistaken in thinking Peverley was out for a portion of that which was what caused the issue in the first place? Now that we can clearly plug Seguin in with Lucic and Krejci we could shift Peverley to that line. It is impossible to have a top-six guy waiting to plug in in case of injury. If he's a top six guy he'll go elsewhere and be playing, not watching and waiting.

Peverley tried, Caron, then Seguin was moved up (replaced by Peverly on the second line). I believe even Paille got a game or two up there but nothing worked and no proper replacements came. Instead PC picked up Zanon and Motteau...they sure were helpful scoring those meaningful goals against the Caps weren't they? This is a depth issue at forward and the reponsibility of the GM to address.

There are 6 possible players that can get hurt are we going to have room on the team for 3 top six capable players to fill each? I just don't your logic. Pandolfo can fill in the 3rd or 4th line. That's what he's here for.

Again, if Pandolfo is the best the organization can come up with then that is a problem if another rash of injuries occur for a long period of time.

I can't think of a single team with a top-six ready guy to plug in in case of injury really.

Some teams have depth, some don't. Those that do tend to win cups. This is what I want for the Bruins. Remember when the B's won? Ryder (a top 6 forward on most other teams) was on the third line, Seguin was riding the pine for half the playoffs. That is depth. Now the team has lil Chris Bourque on the third line and Pandolfo to plug holes. Same quality? I think not.

Cheers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Rumour has it that Whitney will soon be traded (healthy scratch tonight)...possibly to Philly. We will find out soon enough.

Both Smith and Whitney are healthy scratches tonight.  Smith would be great if his contract would expire at the end of this year, however he still has another year left.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Both Smith and Whitney are healthy scratches tonight.  Smith would be great if his contract would expire at the end of this year, however he still has another year left.

Yeah, that second year is the problem. He would have been decent as a rental but not good for next season considering the cap is set to go down significantly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Pandolfo is a joke , I saw Tardif at the Bell Center and Tarfif creates some oppotunities for his team too bad he only played one game I would have like to see more of him ...now we're stocked with an old timer no talent Pandolfo ..what a way to waste abroster spot

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I thought Pandolfo played fine tonight on the fourth line.  He was full of hustle, played well defensively, didn't cost the team on the scoreboard and slammed some bodies.

Can't ask for much more from that spot.

Sections
Shortcuts