Jersey Tuck

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Jersey Tuck

Is this silly rule actually going to be called this year? I know Bergeron always wears the tucked jersey. Has this been called yet in the pre-season? Good thing they didnt reverse this goal tonight due to a delayed penalty on Seidenberg.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Jersey Tuck

What is the rule?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Puck Daddy:

Here's the rule:

"Players are not permitted to tuck their jersey into their pants in such a manner where the top padding of the pant and/or additional body protection (affixed to the pant or affixed to the Player’s body) is exposed outside the jersey. The back uniform number must not be covered or obstructed in any fashion by protruding pads or other protective padding."

Players will get a warning first from the referee, then a two-minute penalty if caught again. A 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct are in the cards if said player fails to adhere to the officials' warnings.

As the NHL's VP of hockey operations Kris King told Elliotte Friedman, the jersey tuck rule has been in the league's rulebook for almost 50 years, but now it will be strictly enforced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm okay with this being enforced.  I had when a guy is zipping down the boards and his tucked in jersey makes it impossible to see his number.

"But, NAS, some guys have been doing it for a long time.  It's how they do it.  It's their superstition!"

Whatever.  If a guy thinks his success or failure is based upon tucking his jersey in, he's a dope.

Here's a funny/sad story about tucked jerseys.  I was at a Portand Pirates game a long time ago when Trent Whitfield was playing for them.  A guy in the crowd was wearing a Pirates Whitfield jersey (troublesome in itself) and, no joke, had the side of his jersey tucked into his jeans.  This wasn't a kid.  The guy was in his 30's.  Oh the horror.  Can't unsee that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cant wait till it is called in the 3rd during a tie or one goal game.

Absolute stupidity as it does not give an opposing team an advantage or impede a scoring chance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm okay with this being enforced.  I had when a guy is zipping down the boards and his tucked in jersey makes it impossible to see his number.

"But, NAS, some guys have been doing it for a long time.  It's how they do it.  It's their superstition!"

Whatever.  If a guy thinks his success or failure is based upon tucking his jersey in, he's a dope.

Here's a funny/sad story about tucked jerseys.  I was at a Portand Pirates game a long time ago when Trent Whitfield was playing for them.  A guy in the crowd was wearing a Pirates Whitfield jersey (troublesome in itself) and, no joke, had the side of his jersey tucked into his jeans.  This wasn't a kid.  The guy was in his 30's.  Oh the horror.  Can't unsee that.

When you say jeans, you mean jean shorts, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For it to come to an on-ice penalty, I'm going to guess that they've asked the players many times to stop doing it.  This is pretty extreme overall, but it is certainly a way to stop them from doing it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't even think that I notice this.  Also, sometimes after a hit or battle in the corner it ends up kind of tucked on its own.  Are the refs going to have to monitor if the player tucker it himself or whether it just happened on its own?  Don't they have enough to worry about?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I don't even think that I notice this.  Also, sometimes after a hit or battle in the corner it ends up kind of tucked on its own.  Are the refs going to have to monitor if the player tucker it himself or whether it just happened on its own?  Don't they have enough to worry about?

Beat me to it - I was wondering that myself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think they're so concerned with errant things like that.  A simple, "Hey, Z, fix your jersey" and he does will solve it.  It's this that is the problem:

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes a new hockey term "Player-Tucker".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't see it being called, and I don't think it should be.  I think players should be able to express a little unique style.  Bergeron tucks his jersey and it makes it easy to spot him because of his grey pads.  And Bergeron is the talent, dedication and ethical barometer of the league, so it should be OK.  Plus, this guy always tucked his sweater half-in:

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think they're so concerned with errant things like that.  A simple, "Hey, Z, fix your jersey" and he does will solve it.  It's this that is the problem:

That one's a bit extreme.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think it will be like a balk in baseball. Been a rule forever but rarely enforced, now they say it's going to be..You'll see Ovechkins jersey tucked back in by March with no problems.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm betting no belt and he had his pant legs tucked into his work boots which he wears out. Only on special occasions though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

The reasoning the league has given on why it will enforce this is safety.  I can see this when players have their sleeves rolled up exposing the bottom of their elbow pads, but the jersey tuck seems a bit extreme.  I think we will see it called a few times eary on but, the enforcement will be lax/non existent towards the end of the season and playoffs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Bergeron's reaction to the new rule...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/bergeron-reacts-nhls-new-jersey-tuck-rule

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I dont mind the jersey tucking, but I cant stand when a player of any age, pulls the bottom part of the sock around the heel of their skate. Arrghhh drives me crazy and looks ridiculous. I dont think any NHLers do this, but the youth sure do. There may have been a huricane player that use to wear his sock around his heel, but I dont recall who it was. Maybe Bates Battaglia back in the day, before he went on the amazing race, LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I also don't mind enforcing the rule...maybe the refs will just reach over during a back check and 'un-tuck' Bergeron's sweater midplay?

Better be careful though - I hear a good samaritan once got into trouble on the subway trying to help a little old lady untuck the back of her dress.   ;^)

Seriously though - I wonder if the league is trying to avoid some extra stoppages in play?

The puck would be less likely to get caught up in the paraphernalia if it was untucked I guess.

I haven't really seen a good reason why the leagues wants to enforce this rule...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm sure it will be enforced right off the bat. We may even see a penalty called on the odd one. But after a month or so, not so much. Basically after that, if your going to be arguing a call on your way to the box, you better not have your jersey tucked in.

I cant see the NHL having a game decided because of a jersey tuck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

If the rule is being enforced by 1. a warning and then 2. a minor... how does the ref know whether the other ref gave someone a warning? Who keeps track of "warnings?" This is not how minors are given.  And, when a ref sees a tucked jersey during play, does he signal a delayed panalty (assuming he's 100% sure THAT player has already received a warning) or does he wait until a stoppage of play?

This has train wreck written all over it.

If they must do this while incorporating a "warning" (duh) they should have the ref tell a player, at a stoppage, that he's receiving a warning for an equipment violation and then tell his bench (coach).  Then if he does it again, at the next stoppage he gets a 10 min misconduct, which will not affect on-ice player strength but gets the point across to the player and team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Saw guys all ove the place with tucked jerseys in a bunch of different games. Bergeron had it against Winnipeg. Does not look like it's being enforced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

As long as losers in adult/beer leagues dont tuck their shirts in I dont care. I hate when these wanna be's do that. One of my pet peeves.

Also, I hate when people wear a Red Sox home jersey with the name on the back. Aggravates the crap out of me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This isn't like interference where they can get away with looking the other way.  It's as clear cut as puck over the glass.  There is no reason at all to think they will just stop calling it midway throught the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

When's the pool start on first official and/or first player to hand out this penalty/get given this penalty?

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

Sections
Shortcuts