Jets new logo.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Jets new logo.

In Response to Re: Jets new logo.:
    [QUOTE]There's a cheesy little promo video on nhl.com http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569909&navid=mod-rr-headlines Having another look at the logo and with the jet and everything it reminds me a bit of the Royal Air Force ensignia. I guess it's a supposed to be a face-off dot but The Queen should have a word about copyright infringement. LOL
    Posted by Kurako[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to remind you of the Royal Air Foce, or at least the Royal Canadian Air Force. I like it a lot (moreso than the old one which I never really liked) and in this case, since it's a take on the RCAF Roundel, the use of the Maple Leaf makes sense.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/RCAF-Roundel.svg/300px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png

According to Mark Chipman, they actually worked with the Forces in designing the logo.

Winnipeg is the headquarters for the Canadian Air Force, (the base is open and always has been) so I think the use of a CF-18 Hornet also makes sense, though the Arrow could've worked as well. To me this is similar to Detroit giving a nod to the automotive industry with their logo. The air force is a huge part of Winnipeg, as is the aerospace industry as a whole, so to me this really does say "Winnipeg." I'll be getting my jersey for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : It's supposed to remind you of the Royal Air Foce, or at least the Royal Canadian Air Force. I like it a lot (moreso than the old one which I never really liked) and in this case, since it's a take on the RCAF Roundel, the use of the Maple Leaf makes sense. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/RCAF-Roundel.svg/300px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png Winnipeg is the headquarters for the Canadian Air Force, (the base is open and always has been) so I think the use of a CF-18 Hornet also makes sense, though the Arrow could've worked as well. To me this is similar to Detroit giving a nod to the automotive industry with their logo. The air force is a huge part of Winnipeg, as is the aerospace industry as a whole, so to me this really does say "Winnipeg." I'll be getting my jersey for sure.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Oh right. That makes sense now. I didn't know the RCAF roundel looked like that (or if I did I forgot!). On second thoughts it looks less like a face-off dot and more like a curling.. er.. thingy. I don't know the proper word even though we Scots are the best in the world at it Wink

From a personal point of view I thought the number 1 choice on the puck daddy link SanDog posted looked awesome.The jet is modelled after an F-15. Dunno if Canada has any of those. I like that one better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Its a nice job and its researched a bit and relevant.  Good job on short notice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In conjunction with the new logo, the Jets have made a long term commitment to support Canadian military charities, including the Military Family Fund and the Air Force Heritage Fund.

I'm liking this more and more. Plus, I wonder if the fact that their supporting the Forces, have a uni and logo that pays tribute to them, and worked with them on designing this, could potentially grow their fan base within the Canadian military?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I was dissapointed they called the team the Jets at all.. Didn't they announce when they moved the team that they would not be called the jets?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yep (I didn't want Jets either) but there was MASSIVE public pressure on Chipman. The fans in Winnipeg basically forced him to name the Jets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Yep (I didn't want Jets either) but there was MASSIVE public pressure on Chipman. The fans in Winnipeg basically forced him to name the Jets.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

And if they are going to be called the Jets, #9 should stay retired, not on Kane's back.  I think this is a terrible idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought 9, 32, and 25 WERE staying retired?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I thought 9, 32, and 25 WERE staying retired?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Kane is supposedly asking Hull for "granted permission" to wear it, and "they" expect Hull to say yes.

I abhor the idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, I don't like that at all. Keep 25 and 9 retired, don't let anyone wear Snyder's number, and retire Hawerchuk's with the Jets (or petition the Yotes for their team history back).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

Speaking of terrible and abhorring, looks like Kane doesn't even have to ask for Hull's permission. Check out this link, which will make Kane's request to wear Hull's number 9 seem tame and not so abhorring:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of terrible and abhorring, looks like Kane doesn't even have to ask for Hull's permission. Check out this link, which will make Kane's request to wear Hull's number 9 seem tame and not so abhorring: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/unable-to-honour-their-past-126001913.html
    Posted by stevekubersky[/QUOTE]

Exactly why they should have renamed them!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, I tried making that argument for the last 8 months to my fellow Winnipeg fans. Didn't work. God, on the Jets boards most of them are bitching, and some are actually saying they won't buy jerseys, because they brought in a new logo and colours.

some of the old fans just want to re-live the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I just noticed that if you look at the pic of the CF-18 that Kurako posted on the first page of this thread, you can see the roundel this logo is based on directly below the cockpit. From that distance, it's tough to tell any difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : It's supposed to remind you of the Royal Air Foce, or at least the Royal Canadian Air Force. I like it a lot (moreso than the old one which I never really liked) and in this case, since it's a take on the RCAF Roundel, the use of the Maple Leaf makes sense. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/RCAF-Roundel.svg/300px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png According to Mark Chipman, they actually worked with the Forces in designing the logo. Winnipeg is the headquarters for the Canadian Air Force, (the base is open and always has been) so I think the use of a CF-18 Hornet also makes sense, though the Arrow could've worked as well. To me this is similar to Detroit giving a nod to the automotive industry with their logo. The air force is a huge part of Winnipeg, as is the aerospace industry as a whole, so to me this really does say "Winnipeg." I'll be getting my jersey for sure.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Sorry Red I thought the only 2 bases still open is the one in Bagotville; PQ & in Regina.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No worries nite.

Kingston, Cold Lake, Goose Bay, Gander, Trenton, Shearwater, Greenwood, Comox, North Bay, Moose Jaw and Borden also have squadrons (Regina's is gone) still. But Winnipeg houses both divisions of Air Command as well as 17 Wing, 3 squadrons, six schools and Canada's NORAD operations and command (hence a fair amount of USAF living in the Peg as well). Oddly though the only fighter jets for combat duty stationed there are actually USAF (through NORAD), though it is the training facility for the CF-18. Their current CF squadrons are predominantly transport, surveillance, and SAR/fire suppresion.

Every summer 17 Wing would practice these wet landings on Lake Winnipeg which I could watch from my house - watching a Hercules hit the water gears-up and the pilot maintain perfect control, maintain momentum, and re-gain altitude, is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : Exactly why they should have renamed them!!
    Posted by LordByron77[/QUOTE]
    Negative.

The NHL administrations' corporate thinking does not make the majority of the Jets fans wrong. The world did not end with Cleveland going back to the Browns name, or Washington going back to the Nationals name. Why should all the planets be misaligned all of the sudden when Winnipeg went back to the Jets?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I tried making that argument for the last 8 months to my fellow Winnipeg fans. Didn't work. God, on the Jets boards most of them are bitching, and some are actually saying they won't buy jerseys, because they brought in a new logo and colours. some of the old fans just want to re-live the past.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Old habits die hard Red. For the record, the majority of the new fans want it to be renamed the Jets too, not just the old ones. That should not be surprising.

Here's a hypothetical question to answer:

If the Bruins were ripped away from Boston for some reason, and then a new NHL team comes back in the city a few years later, and the Boston front office have a choice of naming this new team including the old Bruins name, what would the majority of the Boston fans want it to be named?

After considering the above hypothetical question, perhaps one can better understand why most of Winnipeg hockey fans want the same name.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : Old habits die hard Red. For the record, the majority of the new fans want it to be renamed the Jets too, not just the old ones. That should not be surprising. Here's a hypothetical question to answer: If the Bruins were ripped away from Boston for some reason, and then a new NHL team comes back in the city a few years later, and the Boston front office have a choice of naming this new team including the old Bruins name, what would the majority of the Boston fans want it to be named? After considering the above hypothetical question, perhaps one can better understand why most of Winnipeg hockey fans want the same name.
    Posted by stevekubersky[/QUOTE]

the jets played in the nhl 16 seasons.  the bruins have been around for almost 90 years.  it's a bit different.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the name is correct.  I still dislike "Minnesota Wild".  I grew up watching the North Stars.  Hockey went back to Minnesota.  They should have went back to the North Stars.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : the jets played in the nhl 16 seasons.  the bruins have been around for almost 90 years.  it's a bit different.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

A bit different that's for sure. That difference actually further supports my  earlier hypothetical question:

If the 16 years of NHL existence caused such massive pressure from fans to keep the same name, one can only imagine the state of Bruins nation if the name ever goes away and cannot be taken back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I think the name is correct.  I still dislike "Minnesota Wild".  I grew up watching the North Stars.  Hockey went back to Minnesota.  They should have went back to the North Stars.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

yes the good old days of te North Stars.  They had one of my favorite players of all time, Neal Broten.  Loved his game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think all three Jet designs are excellent.  They're contemporary but have a traditional feel to them especially the logo with the wings and crossed sticks.  Has there been any talk of a third jersey using one of the three designs as the main one on the front? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : yes the good old days of te North Stars.  They had one of my favorite players of all time, Neal Broten.  Loved his game. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

BsL- Cool new avatar, man.  You just happen to be riding behind that truck?  What's the story?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Jets new logo.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets new logo. : yes the good old days of te North Stars.  They had one of my favorite players of all time, Neal Broten.  Loved his game. Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Don't forget KPDs favorite "Jon Casey and the amazing technicolor five-hole".