Jets: Planning or the Future or Just Floundering?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Jets: Planning or the Future or Just Floundering?

This article as posted in NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads

Essentially, Jets GM Chevy reiterated that his team will "stay the course" in building for the future rather than try and win now with expensive free agents and trading prospects for established NHLrs.

I question this though. Before last deadline the Jets were in the middle of a playoff hunt, chose to sit tight, and eventually faded from contention because they just did not have the horses to compete. So, did they sit tight to follow some long term plan or was it due to economic considerations: namely, a rather low internal team cap  in a rather small market like Winnipeg that has a razor thin profit margin, which may have been wiped out had more expensive options been acquired?

In truth, this team has not signed anyone of significance and relies on lower level FA signing to fill out their roster, year in year out. Obviously the hope is that the youngins develop to the point where the team as a whole can improve to be a playoff contender. But what happens when those same youngins leave their EL contracts and are due significant raises? Can a team like the Jets afford to keep them around? Or are they forced to give them up and start the "build for the future" process all over again?

Personally I think it is the latter. So, are teams like the Jets forced to be a middling team in perpetuity an hope to catch "lightening in a bottle" once or twice (like the Canes did a few times") or are they actually following a coherent strategy which will pay off for them in the not too distant future?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Jets: Planning or the Future or Just Floundering?

In response to jmwalters' comment:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads

Essentially, Jets GM Chevy reiterated that his team will "stay the course" in building for the future rather than try and win now with expensive free agents and trading prospects for established NHLrs.

I question this though. Before last deadline the Jets were in the middle of a playoff hunt, chose to sit tight, and eventually faded from contention because they just did not have the horses to compete. So, did they sit tight to follow some long term plan or was it due to economic considerations: namely, a rather low internal team cap  in a rather small market like Winnipeg that has a razor thin profit margin, which may have been wiped out had more expensive options been acquired?

In truth, this team has not signed anyone of significance and relies on lower level FA signing to fill out their roster, year in year out. Obviously the hope is that the youngins develop to the point where the team as a whole can improve to be a playoff contender. But what happens when those same youngins leave their EL contracts and are due significant raises? Can a team like the Jets afford to keep them around? Or are they forced to give them up and start the "build for the future" process all over again?

Personally I think it is the latter. So, are teams like the Jets forced to be a middling team in perpetuity an hope to catch "lightening in a bottle" once or twice (like the Canes did a few times") or are they actually following a coherent strategy which will pay off for them in the not too distant future?

Yes, it appears so.  They're nuts for hockey in Winnipeg (and Toronto), as long as there is a product on the ice and its part of the NHL they are happy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

True and they will sell out the rink game in game out. But there are already rumblings of discontent in Winnipeg and the longer it goes the more the discontent will increase. The rink is small and gate receipts will only go so far. At some point the team will have to put out.  Decreases in overall sales via merch and other things (like lack of playoff home games) hurt a team with a small profit margin and at some point increases in ticket sales to make up for it will only increase discontent.

Playoff hockey only helps the bottom line which can be crucial to small market teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

True and they will sell out the rink game in game out. But there are already rumblings of discontent in Winnipeg and the longer it goes the more the discontent will increase.  

[/QUOTE]

Jets fans are dyed-in-the-wool fans and will support their team unfailingly,to a point.If the Jets meander along and start to resemble the Panthers and their forever losing,the fan base in WPG will start to look like Florida's.I think when the Jets were selling their season ticket packages,the people that bought them had to agree to a 5 yr term,so the fans will remain in the seats for at least that amount of time,but if the Jets are still a rudderless boat the fans will start to stay away.They're not quite as bad as Lerf fans.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726091&navid=nhl:topheads

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it appears so.  They're nuts for hockey in Winnipeg (and Toronto), as long as there is a product on the ice and its part of the NHL they are happy.

[/QUOTE]

A perfect synopsis of this city's TML fervor and continued sellouts despite no Cups in almost half a century. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Here's my take.  If you play the sport you are an optimist.  I'm 55 and 70 or 80 lbs overweight, I contribute in a very small way in my pickup games and feel good about the little victories and the very occasional goals.  I'm convinced I can lose the weight and get back on track.  All athletes have this mentality.  Oleg Yevenko probably thinks if he just develops a little more skill and punches a few more guys out he might turn his career around.

Or when you're behind by 3 goals with 5 minutes left, you think you can do it.  You don't give up - and sometimes the magic happens.

It's a must to be optimistic when you play sports.

More people in Winnipeg and Toronto have actually played.  So that translates into the fans.

So how much success do they have to have to draw them in?  Answer: a little, it won't take much to fuel that optimism.

Another factor is that hockey is an expensive sport, so the people playing are more likely to be affluent than not.  So they are more likely to have the money to buy tickets.

Finally for Winnipeg there's nothing else to do in the middle of millions of miles without even geographical diversity to break up the boredom.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Finally for Winnipeg there's nothing else to do in the middle of millions of miles without even geographical diversity to break up the boredom.

[/QUOTE]

You 've obviously never been to the Narcisse snake pits,located 6 kilometres outside of Narcisse, Manitoba,which is home to the biggest garter snakes nest in the entire world,quite a sight! You should go sometime Badhab.Nothing is as captivating as watching a HUGE ball of snakes writhing & mating at the same time!
    [object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Oh come on now. they still have the Blue Bombers (whatever that is)....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Speaking about Winnipeg ....I wonder what happened to red ....??

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Busy with life I think. Personally I think she is secretly a CSIS employee...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh come on now. they still have the Blue Bombers (whatever that is)....

[/QUOTE]
    3-0 Baby!! WOOOOOOO!!

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha..still waiting for the Banjo Bowl with baited breath

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking about Winnipeg ....I wonder what happened to red ....??

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

[/QUOTE]

Looking over her shoulder expecting someone to jump out of the bushes to yell " where's my 100 bucks ? "