Joe Colborne article in the Hockey Journal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Joe Colborne article in the Hockey Journal

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/2010/11/10_colborne.php

This article discusses his slow start.  His ability to fix some little things, and how that has helped his recent surge (albeit in a very small sample size).  The article is written well and provides insight from Coach Murray.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Joe Colbourne article in the Hockey Journal

Good article.  I think Colborne needs the full year in the AHL to develop, but I have really high hopes for this guy in the future.

He is similar to Joe Thornton in a number of ways and I could see him taking a couple of seasons to really become comfortable and effective in the league, just like Big Joe did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Re: Joe Colborne article in the Hockey Journal

I was really impressed with him at the rookie camp in Wilmington and thought he was going to start off with the big club. But maybe a couple of seasons in Providence is more the way to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Re: Joe Colbourne article in the Hockey Journal

In Response to Re: Joe Colbourne article in the Hockey Journal:
    [QUOTE]Good article.  I think Colborne needs the full year in the AHL to develop, but I have really high hopes for this guy in the future. He is similar to Joe Thornton in a number of ways and I could see him taking a couple of seasons to really become comfortable and effective in the league, just like Big Joe did.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along the same lines.   The immediate reaction is, oh he gets it and he's hot, call him up on emergency instead of Arniel.  But the prudent thing todo is to let him continue to make progress.  Give him stability and let him grow to the point where he forces the hand of Bruins management.

I am very excited to watch Joe in the future.  I have liked everything I have seen written about him and I liked the way he carried himself this offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The great thing is along with Colborne there's Sauve, Bartkowski, Spooner, Knight, Cunningham and Kampfer to watch as well. How long has it been since the Bruins have had this many good prospects to watch ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Joe Colborne article in the Hockey Journal:
    [QUOTE]The great thing is along with Colborne there's Sauve, Bartkowski, Spooner, Knight, Cunningham and Kampfer to watch as well. How long has it been since the Bruins have had this many good prospects to watch ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  It seems like for the next 2-3 seasons we can expect to have 3 rookies at least knocking at the door in Boston every season.

2010 - Seguin, Caron, Marchand
    2011 - Colborne, Sauve, Kampfer, Bartkowski
    2012 - Spooner, Knight, Cunningham

...and so forth, not to mention 2 more first round picks (at the moment) for 2011.  What's more, we have our key veteran's locked up for multiple years and great goaltending.  It's a good time to be a Bruins fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SDB - my guess is this hasn't happened. I mean, '97 was Thornton and Samsonov and Ax from the draft, Hal Gill in his first season, Allison his second full season, Carter his first, McLaren his third at 20 yrs old.  You could also track Cameron Mann, Landon Wilson, Shawn Bates, Mats Timander, and Randy Robitaille.  The real difference is that most of the guys on this list who would have careers didn't get to be "prospects".  There was a long stretch there where youth and depth were in short supply, so any Bruins pick with a shot was quickly sorted into sink-or-swim NHL roles or the bust bin. Look at how many of the guys lower on that list were 4th rounders or lower.  The only exception was Wilson...and what a waste that was. First rounders like McLaren, Thornton, Samsonov got fast-tracked just like so many others going back to Smolinski and Murray and going forward to Kessel. 

Right now, you've got a ton of parallels with grounds to say the parallels trend upward.  The younger regulars aren't Allison and Carter and McLaren - they're Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler (yeah, I know), Stuart, Boychuk, Hunwick - and that's not including Horton and Bergeron who are both very young for the amount of experience they have.  This year's Thornton, Samsonov and Ax (two 1st rounders and a later round, older rookie)are Seguin, Caron and Marchand in Boston.  What distinguishes this year is that you've also got another high potential first round kid in Colbourne playing in Providence along with the latest round of Manns and Wlsons who aren't exactly can't miss, but are better than long shots.  The key being not only are they higher grade prospects than the 97-98 crop, meaning a number of second and third rounders but also guys who've looked good in camp, but they're also being groomed in the minors and not crushed in the NHL.  Top that off with some impressive talent in the Junior ranks and a slate of picks this summer and yeah...I think this is an unparalleled moment for the Bruins in terms of organizational development.

Oh yeah - the team doesn't have this flood of prospects because it fell to last place.  That helps too.  They're a competitive playoff team that's got propects that should make it better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fletch - not sure I'd put Cunningham on that list, but hey, your list.  What I really wanted to add is:  having the vets locked up means that these rookies will have to earn spots, and when they do, it also means that the team replenishes the cupboard by dealing players from a position of strength.  That's huge. 

And no, the number of NMCs is not really a factor.  NMCs should never be understood to trump competition - not by the player, his agent, or management.  If someone outplays you and takes your job, you should be man enough to accept that a move is in your best interests.  Even if you don't like what it means for your family.  NMCs protect players against "shake up" deals, salary dumps, and general GM idiocies.  In the end, you still have to justify your role on the ice every day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I love your final point Bookboy.  Most teams only see a bounty of prospects like this after a number of very dismal seasons (eg. Edmonton).  The Bruins have a managed to do it while still making the playoffs and fielding a very competitive team.

Very impressive Mr. Chiarelli.  And, I'm typically a cynic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Nice story, thanks. Some fans are just way too impatient - they don't seem to realize that not only do kids have to grow physically, but mentally as well. Playing a year or two in the AHL teaches you a lot, not just about the game itself, but how to be a professional as well. I'm very glad the Bruins have the depth to allow this to happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"There was a long stretch there where youth and depth were in short supply, so any Bruins pick with a shot was quickly sorted into sink-or-swim NHL roles or the bust bin."

Then there is where the gap comes in after the players you mentioned. 1998 Jonathan Girard, Bobby Allen and Peter Nordstrom who ? 1999 Nick Boynton serviceable but not really what was expected of him, 2000 lars jonsson and martin samuelsson passing over Frolov, Orpik and Brad Boyes, 2001 Morrisonn, 2002 Toivonen but hey the Bruins spun that pick for Carl Yetiberg.

Then there is a change as you could not go wrong in 2003. To me it seemed that Sinden was finally out of the picture and MOC did some real good drafting. 2003 Stuart and Bergeron, 2004 Krejci and Versteeg, 2005 Lashoff (landed Recchi and Siedenberg), Wabbit and Sobotka then a hell a draft in 2006 Philaparazzi, Alexandrov and a gem Lucic.

Get the wrong people out of the way (Sinden) then get the right people in the way MOC and Chiarelli. Yes MOC made the terrible trade but he did some darn good drafting while he had the reigns.

Sections
Shortcuts