Joe Thornton, 2004 Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Joe Thornton, 2004 Playoffs

I love Patrice Bergeron, and he is a hero, and he is valiant, and he's come back from 2 concussions, and he's turned himself into the best faceoff guy and best defensive forward in the NHL. So that's why I'm here to remind the idiots who ripped on Jumbo Joe in 2004 v. Montreal, the media that scrutinized him, the fans who rode him, and the organization that threw him under a bus for his lack of performance. He played with a two torn ribs in that entire series, but no one released that fact, not even Joe. Patrice let everyone know after Game 6. Jumbo Joe had a broken cheekbone that year, missed only 3 games. But he was a "dog" and he let the team down, and oh let's scapegoat. Everyone who ripped him in 04, owe him a massive apology.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: Joe Thornton, 2004 Playoffs

Dannyboy, I like you. Don't get me started on Joe Thornton, please!

He is no longer a Bruin and I'm happy for that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I love Patrice Bergeron, and he is a hero, and he is valiant, and he's come back from 2 concussions, and he's turned himself into the best faceoff guy and best defensive forward in the NHL. So that's why I'm here to remind the idiots who ripped on Jumbo Joe in 2004 v. Montreal, the media that scrutinized him, the fans who rode him, and the organization that threw him under a bus for his lack of performance. He played with a two torn ribs in that entire series, but no one released that fact, not even Joe. Patrice let everyone know after Game 6. Jumbo Joe had a broken cheekbone that year, missed only 3 games. But he was a "dog" and he let the team down, and oh let's scapegoat. Everyone who ripped him in 04, owe him a massive apology.

I brought it up yesterday Danny, totally agree with you. I'm a big fan of Bergeron and of Thornton. Still follow him to this day and watch many Sharks games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He sure played like he was hurt, to the tune of 0 points and a minus 6 in seven ineffective games. After watching that series, all Bruin fans were in pain. Point taken about Joe that year, but in the heart/drive department, he's no in Bergeron (not many are).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Yeah, please.

Thornton and Bergy are like poles apart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

even to this day, kelv, even by a few comments on this thread, you can see how people just bought into Joe's "failure" that series in particular and won't admit that Bergeron was also a bit of a shadow in Game 6 for B's. He was there, and he tried, but he was not a factor in Game 6. Again love Patrice, but I don't think people understood how good Jumbo Joe was for B's overall and I felt he was traded way too soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

who gives a rats behind about joe Thornton? The bruins would still be in a Stanley cup drought if he was never traded.  last I checked he doesn't have his name on the cup.  He was a cancer in the bruins locker room, got sully fired, and I loved the trade at the time and still love it today!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Danny I agree w/ you 100%. Joe always got a bum wrap after that series. No worked harder to make him look like a scapegoat than KPD from the globe. I remember his teammates backing him pretty well after that series because the local media was killing him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Yeah, please.

Thornton and Bergy are like poles apart.

The Thornton who played for Boston and Bergeron were poles apart. Big Joe was young and didn't raise his game come playoff time. Bergeron seemed to be mature from day one.  It is hard to believe he is only 28.  Joe Thornton this year and over the last few years in the playoffs has become a great two way player and a force on face offs.  It took him awhile to get it and who knows how many good years he has left but it isn't fair to make blanket statements because his game has changed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Danny I agree w/ you 100%. Joe always got a bum wrap after that series. No worked harder to make him look like a scapegoat than KPD from the globe. I remember his teammates backing him pretty well after that series because the local media was killing him. 

KPD is doing a little bit of the same with Seguin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

even to this day, kelv, even by a few comments on this thread, you can see how people just bought into Joe's "failure" that series in particular and won't admit that Bergeron was also a bit of a shadow in Game 6 for B's. He was there, and he tried, but he was not a factor in Game 6. Again love Patrice, but I don't think people understood how good Jumbo Joe was for B's overall and I felt he was traded way too soon.

Dan the Man don't put Joe Thornton in Patrice Bergeron's shoes please. I don't even want o add anymore nothing else needs to be said

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

great points, huntbri, he found his new target--Seguin. I don't think people remember that Thornton was a high points scorer for the B's, so please Thornton haters don't give me the same old weakazz arguments against him. Everything was an excuse to get rid of him by the B's organization, they set it up that way. The team was going backward and he was their best option to get somebody in return, so they painted him as a cancer. And you know what? they did it with Samsonov too. Both guys were the best playmakers the team had, and they jetisoned both, and fans bought the B's/media spin on them. The B's missed having a Thornton type in this series alone, a guy who could get in front of the net and cause some havoc. Not to mention, he's always been a superb passer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

He is not Bergeron but he is a good player, has improved on the defensive side of the puck and had become a pretty good leader.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

stinkman, i'm not comparing them as players or people, I'm saying that Thornton was a great player, who got badly injured and did what he could for his team, and a decade later Patrice gets all the love in the world, and Joe still gets chastised. It's wrong. You guys don't get it, you have selective memory. I mean did Patrice do anything in the last 2 games besides be hurt? Yeah, I said it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

great points, huntbri, he found his new target--Seguin. I don't think people remember that Thornton was a high points scorer for the B's, so please Thornton haters don't give me the same old weakazz arguments against him. Everything was an excuse to get rid of him by the B's organization, they set it up that way. The team was going backward and he was their best option to get somebody in return, so they painted him as a cancer. And you know what? they did it with Samsonov too. Both guys were the best playmakers the team had, and they jetisoned both, and fans bought the B's/media spin on them. The B's missed having a Thornton type in this series alone, a guy who could get in front of the net and cause some havoc. Not to mention, he's always been a superb passer.

I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's unfair to Thornton, just as what I said last post was completely unfair to Patrice. Both tried to motivate their teams, both tried to be leaders when hurt. Both should be admired, but one is not, and one is pedestaled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What is ironic is the rookie Bergeron played with Thornton, so if anyone knows what Joe went through, he did. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in the back of his mind as to do what you can to help your team even if it kills you physically.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

stinkman, i'm not comparing them as players or people, I'm saying that Thornton was a great player, who got badly injured and did what he could for his team, and a decade later Patrice gets all the love in the world, and Joe still gets chastised. It's wrong. You guys don't get it, you have selective memory. I mean did Patrice do anything in the last 2 games besides be hurt? Yeah, I said it.

The reason Patrice talked about his injuries was he wasn't going to be at the teams breakup day which was today. The second reason he spent a day in half in hospital . He knew the media would be looking for him today and old not be there. According to KOD twitter just released ,he wanted to get it out of the way. I will take a SHADOW of Patrice over Pandolfo. No knock on JP but that was the alternative. i believe Jumbo Joe is healthy now and don't believe the sharks advanced past the second round. I will always cut Patrice  some slack. He has and his team has won every trophy imaginable. How many clutch goals has jumbo joe scored in the playoffs when he was healthy. Patrice played with a lot more then a cracked rib. He will always get a pass with me. I know  a healthy Joe Thornton does not score those 2 CLUTCH goals against Toronto or Pitt because he wouldn't drive to the net. THAT'S WHAT I SAY.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

What is ironic is the rookie Bergeron played with Thornton, so if anyone knows what Joe went through, he did. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in the back of his mind as to do what you can to help your team even if it kills you physically.

Maybe and if so what a great lesson.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I know what u mean Danny I understand believe me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I have a couple of misspelled words in my post IPAD problems keyboard sticks . Bad Apple pad lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Joe never had the opportunity to help the B's in his prime, Bergeron has gotten that opportunity. But I love Patrice and would not trade him for anyone (okay, maybe Malkin, just kidding).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Joe never had the opportunity to help the B's in his prime, Bergeron has gotten that opportunity. But I love Patrice and would not trade him for anyone (okay, maybe Malkin, just kidding).

Crosby, SS(TB) but who back checks lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Companring Joe Thornton to Bergeron is beyond ridiculous.

Far beyond THornton's failures in the playoffs in Boston, he did a disappearing act at playoff time in SJ the few few years as well. He was barely one-way and ineffective in a B's uniform. He was traded the day after completely blowing his coverage in a loss to NJ the night before.  That's why they dumped him, not because of one playoff in one series.

The most important single transaction that resulted in the turnaround of this franchise and directly resulted in the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup was the dumping of Thornton and the direct use of those dollars for Zdeno Chara.

Boston - Joe = Chara.

And Jumbo has continued to yap about Boston since he left... how about his commentary about the Bruins always getting preference from the league? (was that re: the Chara hit on Patches?)

Bruins - Joe = improvement.

Tortarelli was right about him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Companring Joe Thornton to Bergeron is beyond ridiculous.

Far beyond THornton's failures in the playoffs in Boston, he did a disappearing act at playoff time in SJ the few few years as well. He was barely one-way and ineffective in a B's uniform. He was traded the day after completely blowing his coverage in a loss to NJ the night before.  That's why they dumped him, not because of one playoff in one series.

The most important single transaction that resulted in the turnaround of this franchise and directly resulted in the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup was the dumping of Thornton and the direct use of those dollars for Zdeno Chara.

Boston - Joe = Chara.

And Jumbo has continued to yap about Boston since he left... how about his commentary about the Bruins always getting preference from the league? (was that re: the Chara hit on Patches?)

Bruins - Joe = improvement.

Tortarelli was right about him.

Forgot about that one. Did he say something about never winning anything.

Sections
Shortcuts