Joe Thornton, 2004 Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Joe Thornton, 2004 Playoffs

Joe Thornton is a San Jose Shark. They have a chat board at ESPN.NHL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

That has allot to do with coaching and teammates around JT. Danny is right about Thornton not getting any love from the Boston Media in comparison to what Bergeron got.

I'd rather have Bergeron on my team for the playoffs but Thornton is no slouch and he does play hurt.

Nice guy athletes don't become legends... those with hardware and results do. Hence my input.

But overall team has to come into play as well. Bergeron had Thomas as his teammate in 2011 and Tuukka in 2013 as part of a great run. Thornton has had Raycroft, Nabokov and Niemi has part of his teams trying to make a run.

The "Bill Buckner mentality" of New England is why Joe was seen as a bum IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

You can't talk about former Bruins players here?  

In the summer? Even when they were drafted 1st overall and became the team's leading scorer and captain?

What's wrong with you guys?  If you don't like the discussion, just don't comment, right?

Seems perfectly relevant to me.  It's a Bruins board.  He played 7 years here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Best move the Bruins ever made was getting rid of the selfish immature punk.  I find it hard to believe some still have this guy so high on a pedastal that they are willing to defend him.  If he only had a heart, bye bye tin man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In the summer? Even when they were drafted 1st overall and became the team's leading scorer and captain?

What's wrong with you guys?  If you don't like the discussion, just don't comment, right?

I guess, just seems Joe has been discussed to death on here over the years, some fans like him,some don't, some are indifferent. I myself liked Joe as a Bruin, but at some point along the way i just became disenchanted with his style of play.Maybe it was the high expectations of being a 1st overall pick or maybe it was just the way he could never elevate his play come playoff time(injury or not), i don't know. I was initially shocked he was traded but after awhile my only disappointment was that the B's didn't get more for him. He seems to have developed into a good player and his playoff performances have gotten better but in the end my view of him will be that he was a good loser.As the theory goes, a team takes on the personality of its captain and follows his lead.Maybe thats why the Sharks have never went anywhere. This is just my 2 cents as this subject has been dissected quite a bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I guess, just seems Joe has been discussed to death on here over the years, some fans like him,some don't, some are indifferent. I myself liked Joe as a Bruin, but at some point along the way i just became disenchanted with his style of play.Maybe it was the high expectations of being a 1st overall pick or maybe it was just the way he could never elevate his play come playoff time(injury or not), i don't know. I was initially shocked he was traded but after awhile my only disappointment was that the B's didn't get more for him. He seems to have developed into a good player and his playoff performances have gotten better but in the end my view of him will be that he was a good loser.As the theory goes, a team takes on the personality of its captain and follows his lead.Maybe thats why the Sharks have never went anywhere. This is just my 2 cents as this subject has been dissected quite a bit.

That's probably true, not the first go-round on ole' Joe here.

I just found the thread to be kind of interesting.  I have nothing but awe and admiration for Bergeron, but he isn't the first to play injured and I think Joe has received more than his share of vilification after leaving.  He wasn't a great leader.  I get that.  Beyond that I have no idea what people are so bitter about.

Lots of people piling on the rant (like OrrtheBest above), but very few explaining why they feel so angry towards him.  I don't get it.  It is interesting to me.  I still like him.  No pedestal, I just like him and actually hope he succeeds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It is mind boggling that a guy who led the NHL in assists 3 times, was one of the best PP guys in his several years with the B's--back when they had a power play that was effective, a guy who averages almost a point a game for his career can get some much hate from fans. I'm glad I started this thread, I'm convinced now as I've been convinced for years that the media/organization spin on a player has as much to do with that player's future reputation as it does what the player ACTUALLY DOES FOR HIS TEAM. The guy who said playing with cracked ribs is nothing compared to playing with torn rib cartilage--we don't know the extent of Joe's injuries--today every injury is specific...How the hell do you know Joe wasn't in agonizing pain? You don't, so don't act like you are some M.D. The facts are the facts, and the facts are that Patrice and Joe played under similar injuries, and one was villified and the other was called a hero. Pretend what you want about your feelings on Joe Thornton, but he was a fine Bruin in my book, I still to this day would love to have him back in a B's jersey, and his time in Boston was way too short...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not that it matters but he was 25 years old when the team traded him. BEFORE HIS PRIME.
    Bergeron took several years before he could get into the argument as one of hockey's best 2-way players. He did win the Cup, he is a Selke trophy winner, and he's a great clutch player, but if he got traded when he was 25 back when he was still a novice returning from concussion injuries---few would have cared.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

not that it matters but he was 25 years old when the team traded him. BEFORE HIS PRIME.
    Bergeron took several years before he could get into the argument as one of hockey's best 2-way players. He did win the Cup, he is a Selke trophy winner, and he's a great clutch player, but if he got traded when he was 25 back when he was still a novice returning from concussion injuries---few would have cared.

Not true. I would've been disgusted had they traded a 25 year old Bergeron. I wouldn't have been alone either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe so, but he turned up his game more so the 2nd year after returning from his long layoff. Then he brought his game to another level defensively and on faceoffs. My point is the age factor is some guys become brilliant at 27-28-29-30-31-32, and aren't at that point even from a maturity level at 25. Bergeron has always been a terrific player in my mind too, but he could be even better (as long as he's healthy) the next 3 to 5 years in particular.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Maybe so, but he turned up his game more so the 2nd year after returning from his long layoff. Then he brought his game to another level defensively and on faceoffs. My point is the age factor is some guys become brilliant at 27-28-29-30-31-32, and aren't at that point even from a maturity level at 25. Bergeron has always been a terrific player in my mind too, but he could be even better (as long as he's healthy) the next 3 to 5 years in particular.

I didn't chime in earlier because I like Joe but couldn't be bothered to stick up for him anymore. Nothing against him. I'm just lazy sometimes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What I'd like know is what did Joe exactly do wrong while he was here? He had 100 pens & over a 100 pts in a season (few do this). He wasn't a good Capt, but it wasn't his decision to make him one. I didn't like the trade at the time, I thought it was planned all along. I think KPD certainly was a huge part in the plan. A Cancer, or anything of the sort?  If he was a cancer I can bet that Gretzky NEVER would've choosen him for Team Canada or the World Cup. Ridiculous, but then I see the source. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

A GM would be a fool to trade Patrice, period. Before, now and in the future.

Danny, we get it. You have a thing for Jumbo Joe. I don't.

I don't care whant the Boston media said or says about him, I'm far enough away that it doesn't affect my opinion.

But please, never use these two for comparisons of any kind. It doesn't work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

all i'm saying bruno is the venom is still there and a lot of the venom came directly from Joe's scoreless 03-04 series v. Montreal and that was from broken ribs, and as I said Patrice was hailed the greatest conquering hero, worshipped beyond belief for some awful injuries that few people would try to play on---but to dismiss broken ribs that Joe suffered like someone else mentioned earlier is simply petty at best. People viewed Thornton on an entirely different scale and he was as good a scorer as there has been of players over the last 15 years (points per game). But that media vitriol and fan vitriol and organization's bizarre non-committal on the facts he was not even 75 percent for the Montreal series was wrong, and people owe him an apology.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

all i'm saying bruno is the venom is still there and a lot of the venom came directly from Joe's scoreless 03-04 series v. Montreal and that was from broken ribs, and as I said Patrice was hailed the greatest conquering hero, worshipped beyond belief for some awful injuries that few people would try to play on---but to dismiss broken ribs that Joe suffered like someone else mentioned earlier is simply petty at best. People viewed Thornton on an entirely different scale and he was as good a scorer as there has been of players over the last 15 years (points per game). But that media vitriol and fan vitriol and organization's bizarre non-committal on the facts he was not even 75 percent for the Montreal series was wrong, and people owe him an apology.

Joe Thornton was a mistake. If not the drafting, maybe the way he was handled the first three years. But it was Keenan, someone who had to kick his butt, that got him going.

When Keenan left, the real Joe re-appeared. There was no-one to kick his butt and he took full advantage. The spurt he had under Keenan turned into a fat contract, but it was no incentive to Joe.

And then we know how the story ended.

Joe Thornton did not make the Bruins better. He only made Glenn Murray better and richer. His other linemate (Mike Knuble) couldn't stand him. Many of his teammates agreed with Mike.

If your own teammates don't give you the love, do you think the media will? He can fool some of the fans, but no all of them.

That's it, I've had enough of Joe thornton, again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Don, maybe so on Keenan, and maybe he was coddled, but youth is youth. He was still a young player by the time he was traded. Maturity takes care of a lot of things. Patrice has always been a mature beyond his years even as a rookie, and maybe that is part of the reason that he has become the type of sensational 2-way (easily best defensive forward) player under mostly Julien's watch. I realize you hate Thornton, but I insist if not for the Montreal series, his exit from Boston was hastened or became more acceptable. Fans turned against him (following the media's assault). Doesn't take away that Joe was a premier PP guy, a premier passer, and a guy who you can count on to score points consistently...when healthy.

Sections
Shortcuts