Joe Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: Joe Thornton

Joe was and is a star. I am shocked he hasn`t thrown sour grapes at Bos before now. I don`t like him doing it, but I would have spit fire at management a long time ago.

I was horrified at the stupidity of it, as bad a trade as the B`s ever made, just plain stupid.

Good luck Joe, hope you beat Det and Van, so we can beat you in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Joe won his Hart & Art Ross trophies in the same year he got traded to SJ, about 15 games into the season or whatever it was. He was mad & his feelings were hurt. He gave the ol' " i'll show the B's that they made a big mistake" and had the season of his life. Good for him, but he's won no major awards since then,most notably the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup. I doubt Joe ever will or any team Joe plays for,except maybe if Joe is traded again late in his career at the deadline for one last chance to win the Cup.Maybe with the Leafs in 7 yrs.On second thought,maybe not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

One borderline case of diving doesn't make you a diver but this was more embarrassing than Subban's PP dive. Ouch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

In Response to Re: Joe Thornton:
    Joe was and is a star. I am shocked he hasn`t thrown sour grapes at Bos before now. I don`t like him doing it, but I would have spit fire at management a long time ago. I was horrified at the stupidity of it, as bad a trade as the B`s ever made, just plain stupid. Good luck Joe, hope you beat Det and Van, so we can beat you in the playoffs.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

The trade was stupid in a sense that they didnt get enough for him. But when you look at it, the Orginization was right in their assessment of him. When the playoffs arrive and push comes to shove, Thornton wilts under pressure.

Also, if Thornton isnt traded, we dont sign Chara/Savard. The rebuilt team you see here doesnt exsist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Look, there's no denying the guy's talent, but to be a star you should have to DO something, not just BE something.  Joe IS a star, but so often he doesn't DO what you need a star to do if you're going to dedicate huge cap space to him, build your team around him, cater to his game by getting him a shoot-first winger.

And this all has consequences for the rest of the team right?  When the guy with the puck is standing still on the half boards, when his game is entirely based on looking to feed it to a shooter for a one-timer (at least, options 1, 2, and 3), then the wingers become one dimensional.  They spend all their time in the box trying to create a lane for a guy who isn't really making the defense move.  Murray became less and less of a player and more and more of a one-dimensional shooter even before injuries slowed him to crawl. Guerin - a guy with great wheels - started to decline when he was Joe's shooter.  Now Heatley.  That guy at 22 was one of the most dynamic players in the game - an all-around winger who took the puck to the net, had a wicked shot, and was always burning hot.  Now he's a shadow of that player after playing first with Spezza and now Thornton.  I think JT improves players' stats, but over time he makes them worse players.

Important also to remember the total housecleaning that had to take place in a fractured locker room.  There were stories, and they spread, of the locker room being like High school with Joe and the cool kids and then everyone else.  Boynton was a JT guy.  Raycroft.  They were both openly and fearlessly critical of the Bruins before the trade and after.  Both were massively over-rated and seemed to have over-inflated egos.  Cleaning them out was part of clearing out the JT attitude from the room.

As I said before, based on talent vs. commitment to making the most of his gifts, no Bruin has disappointed me more. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

all that is ever talked about on these boards is how a leader should lead. and leading means WINNING playoff series. joe was here 8(?) or nine seasons. his "leadership" netted the bruins ONE playoff series victory. ONE. that's why he was traded. i'm probably the only person in the world that wanted this trade, in fact i called for it before it happened. the "new direction" bruins are better now than they ever were with joe, the "new direction" sharks are better now than ever before. how is this not a win/win? both organizations improved. joe will always be a "best supporting player", he needs goal scorers around him, he is not/nor ever will be a "leading player". he never dealt with the pressure of being THE MAN. in sj he doesn't have to be. i don't understand all the hard feelings, it's professional sports....business. that's how it was handled, business

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yeah, some jackbag traitor named.....Ray somethingorother was actually the "Captain" of the Bruins until he wanted to be traded to a place where he could win a cup.  He was a GREAT leader, right?  People kiss his asss on this board like he was a god.  Thornton wore the "C" here for how long before being traded by a HORRIBLE GM?  OH, I remember, 2 seasons.  Yes, thats right, he wore the "C" for 2 seasons after Jason Allison left, because Allison was named captain after Ray asked to go to a contendor.  How long was Ray captain here....and they didnt win anything with him did they?  In Joes first year as captain he had 68 points in 66 games, the following year he had 101 points, 3rd in the league behind only Foresburg and Naslund.  So really guys, its old already.  If the Sharks had of won the cup the year he was traded, he would have brought it back here and paraded it up and down Beantown and ALL OF YOU bashing him today would have been kissing his asss then, just like you do Rays, except Ray WANTED out, ASKED for out.  Give me a break.  Biggest bunch of hypocrite's. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Yeah, some jackbag traitor named.....Ray somethingorother was actually the "Captain" of the Bruins until he wanted to be traded to a place where he could win a cup.  He was a GREAT leader, right?  People kiss his asss on this board like he was a god.  Thornton wore the "C" here for how long before being traded by a HORRIBLE GM?  OH, I remember, 2 seasons.  Yes, thats right, he wore the "C" for 2 seasons after Jason Allison left, because Allison was named captain after Ray asked to go to a contendor.  How long was Ray captain here....and they didnt win anything with him did they?  In Joes first year as captain he had 68 points in 66 games, the following year he had 101 points, 3rd in the league behind only Foresburg and Naslund.  So really guys, its old already.  If the Sharks had of won the cup the year he was traded, he would have brought it back here and paraded it up and down Beantown and ALL OF YOU bashing him today would have been kissing his asss then, just like you do Rays, except Ray WANTED out, ASKED for out.  Give me a break.  Biggest bunch of hypocrite's. 
    Posted by bigvig

Dude if you cant see the difference between being a class act for 20 years and asking out to go to a completely stacked team so you could win ONCE JUST ONCE!!

And being a whiny crybaby b*tch for a few years and then crying about being traded and then bashing your former team years later because you got butt hurt. Your completely blind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CConnors08. Show CConnors08's posts

Glad he's gone!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Well at least when San Jose loses tonight, the Sharks will get the biggest choke in recent memory supplanting the Bruins from last year. The Bruins had loads of injuries. What excuse will the Sharks use ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

Posted by bigvig
    Don't ask for more it's boston Bruin's fans and like you said they're hypocrites.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hey vig? I think Greatseason taking your side is probably the best sign that you're off base.

None of my comments had anything to do with the C on JT's chest. They had everything to do with the player he was when he was here.  Ray Bourque played lights out for years and led the team deep into the playoffs for years, including the first playoff win over the Scabs in decades and two finals appearances.  He signed below market deals for years to stay in Boston and try to bring home the Cup - and it cost him with other players who wanted the five time Norris winner to drive salaries up.  When he left, the team was gutted and needed to go into a deep rebuild.  He would not have helped the Bruins at that point, and there was no reasonable expectation that he'd win anything more than a huge paycheque in Boston, so he asked for a shot to compete in the final years of his career.  Because - and follow the bouncing ball here - he wanted to WIN.  What a d'bag, wanting to win and only asking out when the team is clearly committed to a lengthy rebuild. 

I mention this because you seem to think that citing scoring numbers means something, as though Alexei Yashin didn't post a 94 point season and Denis Maruk didn't put up 136 points for a 24 win Washington Capitals team.  I can give you a laundry list of soft guys who've put up crazy numbers at times in their careers.

Also, go look up hypocrite.  It means something slightly different than you think.  If you ever catch me wearing a JT jersey in public, you can call me a hypocrite.

Sections
Shortcuts