John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin

We have all had the luxury of laughing at the Leafs this past couple of years as they build our team. What if we found ourselves on the other side of the fence. Reportedly JT is already saying he will not sign with the Isles when he becomes an RFA, do you blame him? With all the salary coming off the books this summer do you plan ahead for the summer of 2012? I think this guy is a major league talent, he could rival Stamkos if he had some talent around him. It would be rare for a # 1 pick to hit the market after his entry level contract is done. The teams would be lining up, do we join them? More than likely the compensation would be hefty, probably in the neighborhood of a first, second & third as he will sign for over 4 mill.

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/lylerichardson/26595/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin

No.  We don't need any more centers.  Certainly not at that price.  We already have Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, and Campbell at center (5 guys, 4 spots).  Wheeler, Colborne, Arniel, Sauve, etc. are all guys who could play center in future years.

The Bruins have spent several years building up the middle, with success, but now they should only be looking for only wingers and defensmen in free agency. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

We are talking about a guy that has and can play wing that can pot 30-40 goals a year with a good playmaker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]We are talking about a guy that has and can play wing that can pot 30-40 goals a year with a good playmaker.
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]
    he dosen't have a say on whether or not he signs with NYI.They can match any offer from any team if they choose.What's he gonna do......threaten to play in the KHL?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well, he hasn't played wing recently and I have heard no indication at all about him moving to wing.  I would be very suprised if he would sign with a team like the Bruins to convert to a winger...maybe you know something I don't.  

I would also be very suprised if the Bruins would spend that kind of money on a guy who has never played wing at the professional level, that's all.  Personally, I would prefer that the Bruins look for defensmen on the FA market for next year, and then maybe wingers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin : he dosen't have a say on whether or not he signs with NYI.They can match any offer from any team if they choose.What's he gonna do......threaten to play in the KHL?
    Posted by dezaruch

Do you have any idea how much leverage players have in this league? I don't think you do! Even Burkie has moved players that want out. If a player wants out they get out, bottom line. Players have all the control. I just mentioned Kessel who is a player who can poison a locker room to the point where even a GM wants him gone. KHL, no NHL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]kessel was a little bit different, the bruins didn't have cap room so he could play a little hard ball. JT would have no leverage, he would sign an offer sheet, and NYI would match it without even blinking an eye until it got into the four first round pick range and then they would happily let him go
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'd let him go at all.  While picks are nice, history shows that they usually aren't as valuable as the player the team lost.  Check out Scott Stevens to St. Louis for more on this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Can the islanders resign him before hes a rfa ? If so if that doesnt happen (sign before hes a rfa) then most likely at the deadline as you mentioned, teams will line up and give alot for him but as also mentioned the Bs most likely will pass as theres no room for another center.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Islanders can give him a new contract that will start when the current one expires, just as the B's have done with Savard, Lucic, Bergeron and Chara in recent memory.

Tavares isn't going anywhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

[QUOTE]The Islanders can give him a new contract that will start when the current one expires, just as the B's have done with Savard, Lucic, Bergeron and Chara in recent memory. Tavares isn't going anywhere.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info and I agree hes not going anywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

As fans, we are generally clueless to contract negotiations.
    I think the Kessel situation is a perfect example, when talking about Tavares.
    I think today's players, are calling the shots about where they want to play,more than any other time in the NHL's history.
    The bruins could have made the cap space available, to sign Kessel, but rather than end up with an unhappy, high cap-hit player, they were able to move him for an acceptable package.
    If Tavares has really told the Islanders that he will not re-sign there, you can bet he will be wearing a different sweater in a couple of years (probably one with a blue leaf on it).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that players cannot begin negotiating contract extentions until the final season of their current contracts begin.  That means that the Islanders cannot even begin to negotiate with Tavares and his agent until next July.  Other teams will not be able to talk to Tavares without consent from the Islanders until July 2012.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to John Tavares RFA 2012? Is he a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]We have all had the luxury of laughing at the Leafs this past couple of years as they build our team. What if we found ourselves on the other side of the fence. Reportedly JT is already saying he will not sign with the Isles when he becomes an RFA, do you blame him? With all the salary coming off the books this summer do you plan ahead for the summer of 2012? I think this guy is a major league talent, he could rival Stamkos if he had some talent around him. It would be rare for a # 1 pick to hit the market after his entry level contract is done. The teams would be lining up, do we join them? More than likely the compensation would be hefty, probably in the neighborhood of a first, second & third as he will sign for over 4 mill. http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/lylerichardson/26595/
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]

Baseless speculation from a reporter in Calgary (!). Unless he's capable of reading Tavares' mind, he has no clue whatsoever as to what the kid's thinking.

Cripes, I can hear my journalism prof rolling over in his grave right now.