John Tortorella apologizes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

John Tortorella apologizes

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7424025/new-york-rangers-coach-john-tortorella-apologized-critical-comments

To me, no reason at all to apologize, I know he said what alot of people were thinking. I have no loyalties to either team but when they made that call on Callahan and then awarded a penalty shot I was thinking the same thing. The call on Callahan might be one of the worst calls I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching/playing hockey or any other sport for that matter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: John Tortorella apologizes

Torts, as always, shoots from the hip, and then sets the record straight , if necessary. One of the best, and most entetrtaining coaches in the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to John Tortorella apologizes:
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7424025/new-york-rangers-coach-john-tortorella-apologized-critical-comments To me, no reason at all to apologize, I know he said what alot of people were thinking. I have no loyalties to either team but when they made that call on Callahan and then awarded a penalty shot I was thinking the same thing. The call on Callahan might be one of the worst calls I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching/playing hockey or any other sport for that matter.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Youre right, terrible call.. and the penalty shot was just awful.  It all happened so fast, did the ref actually see a hand close over the puck?  I mean that's a HUGE call to make so late in the game and if you're a ref you better be damn sure that he actually put his glove over it.  This isn't something they can look at when they look at the replay to see if it was a goal or not is it?  Just asking because they didn't call a penalty shot right away, there was a bit of a delay in that call..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes:
    [QUOTE]In Response to John Tortorella apologizes : Youre right, terrible call.. and the penalty shot was just awful.  It all happened so fast, did the ref actually see a hand close over the puck?  I mean that's a HUGE call to make so late in the game and if you're a ref you better be damn sure that he actually put his glove over it.  This isn't something they can look at when they look at the replay to see if it was a goal or not is it?  Just asking because they didn't call a penalty shot right away, there was a bit of a delay in that call..
    Posted by mb30[/QUOTE]
    i got the same impression that they made the call after the video review. either way... BAAAAAD call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I thought the penalty shot was the right call. If a player has fallen in the crease and the puck is underneath him ( which is what I seen )then the refs can award a penalty shot as outlined in the NHL rulebook.

It doesn't only have to be a closed hand on the puck .

63.5 Penalty Shot -

No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the penalty shot was the right call. If a player has fallen in the crease and the puck is underneath him ( which is what I seen )then the refs can award a penalty shot as outlined in the NHL rulebook. It doesn't only have to be a closed hand on the puck . 63.5 Penalty Shot - No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]Following this criteria , the right call was made. Maybe Torts should reread the rule book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Maybe the announcers should too, because they were talking like you have to close your hand over the puck to have it be a penalty shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I felt right from the beginning it was the right call. The announcers kept yapping about "closing your hand" but the fact was the whistle was blown based on the player freezing the puck in the crease. Only a player with "goaltender's privileges" can tie up any puck in the crease.  I said immediately that should be a penalty shot. It was the right call.

Some other calls for/against NY were bad for sure. However, no matter how bad they were and even if the penalty shot call was wrong, Torts was off-the-charts wrong in suggesting that NBC and National Hockey League referees conspired to cheat the Rangers into an OT game. Saying the refs were awful is one thing; suggesting the NHL and NBC were fixing games is insane.

Absolutely unacceptable. I still think a huge fine is in order.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, has Torts been hanging out with Mike Gillis?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, has Torts been hanging out with Mike Gillis?  
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Wait until the playoffs, i can hear " Tomato " face Gillis already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to John Tortorella apologizes:
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7424025/new-york-rangers-coach-john-tortorella-apologized-critical-comments To me, no reason at all to apologize, I know he said what alot of people were thinking. I have no loyalties to either team but when they made that call on Callahan and then awarded a penalty shot I was thinking the same thing. The call on Callahan might be one of the worst calls I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching/playing hockey or any other sport for that matter.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    I am not a big Torteralla fan and I also didn't care who won the game but I agree that those two calls were both bogus and that he shouldn't be apologizing.  One or the other you live with as bad calls happen but two horrendous calls late in the game did make it look like the game was scripted to go to ot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the penalty shot was the right call. If a player has fallen in the crease and the puck is underneath him ( which is what I seen )then the refs can award a penalty shot as outlined in the NHL rulebook. It doesn't only have to be a closed hand on the puck . 63.5 Penalty Shot - No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Ok perhaps I stand corrected on the penalty shot call but even though the rule book says falling on the puck within the crease is a penalty shot also, I don't think that it is called very often.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to John Tortorella apologizes : I am not a big Torteralla fan and I also didn't care who won the game but I agree that those two calls were both bogus and that he shouldn't be apologizing.  One or the other you live with as bad calls happen but two horrendous calls late in the game did make it look like the game was scripted to go to ot.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

Kind of like the Russian player chopped down on a breakaway last night, late in the 3rd, with no PK or penalty called...

Although I was rooting for Canada in that game, I am glad that neither of those calls ended up changing the outcome.

Torts was right to be upset, but wrong to bring the NHL and NBC into the conspiracy theory.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

30k fine?  Yikes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]30k fine?  Yikes.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

how come coaches get hefty fines like that and a dirty rotten player that probably makes more than a coach get's a measly 2500.00 ??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes : how come coaches get hefty fines like that and a dirty rotten player that probably makes more than a coach get's a measly 2500.00 ??
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    Quite mind boggling to say the least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes : how come coaches get hefty fines like that and a dirty rotten player that probably makes more than a coach get's a measly 2500.00 ??
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

The NHLPA has it in the CBA that's is why...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Good call C-Kid on the rule book. Hate both teams but gotta give Torts credit for giving the refs a little nudge. 

I'm going to play devils advocate on the Callahan call. It looked pretty obvious from the original view but the view facing Callahan showed the old chicken wing on the stick which appeared to help the fall. Maybe borderline at best but my biggest complaint is that the refs get duped time after time on these experts like Joe Thornton and half the Habs team who go into the corners -- feel the stick from behind -- clamp down on the stick -- and go down like a ton of bricks. A few gutsy "holding the stick" penalties every game would put a quick stop to the antics. This tactic makes a mockery of this great game and the refs need to wake up and send a message.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I like that Tortorella speaks his mind.  No time-worn cliches for that guy.  That said it's tough to question the integrity of the league without some form of consequence. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes : Kind of like the Russian player chopped down on a breakaway last night, late in the 3rd, with no PK or penalty called... Although I was rooting for Canada in that game, I am glad that neither of those calls ended up changing the outcome. Torts was right to be upset, but wrong to bring the NHL and NBC into the conspiracy theory.

I agree Fletch. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Rich Hill got it right.
    So did Tortorella. But a big HOWEVER has to go with it. You NEVER bitchthe refs out in the media. NEVER question the integrity of the league publicly. The proper place was in the hall, face to face. Shame on him for doing that in a press conference.
    I absolutely love listening to him cause you get what's on his mind, but, a little discretion in that case would have been better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Tortorella apologizes : Kind of like the Russian player chopped down on a breakaway last night, late in the 3rd, with no PK or penalty called... Although I was rooting for Canada in that game, I am glad that neither of those calls ended up changing the outcome. Torts was right to be upset, but wrong to bring the NHL and NBC into the conspiracy theory.

Yeah he just added fuel to the fire with that comment.  Check out the article about his fine on TSN.. his comments have brought out the Canadian conspiracy theorists in full force.

Sections
Shortcuts