Johnny Gaudreau is a Cabbage Patch Doll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Johnny Gaudreau is a Cabbage Patch Doll

They call him 5'9" and 160 here.  Hockeydb has him at 5'7" and 150.  NHL stats from last year lists him at 5'9" and 150.

To put that in context, David Worseoffsky is 20lbs heavier.  David Desharnais is 20lbs heavier.  Zdeno Chara's left leg is 10lbs heavier.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725534&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725534&navid=nhl:topheads

Gifted kid.  It's going to be ugly if anyone catches him standing still.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Johnny Gaudreau is a Cabbage Patch Doll

His 1st two years in the AHL/NHL will be survival in a sense. Johnny Hockey got away with his toe drag dangle at the Worlds in May because the Euro teams are not going to pull a "Abdelkader on Sobotka" on him. I hope  Gaudreau does well but those big Cam Poddock thugs like waiting around the blueline in the AHL for skilled players.

Capt Truculence has already voiced he has a concern with Gaudreau's "lack of". So Gaudreau will probably start the year in the AHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He might look like a little  cabbage patch player but he can flat play, the kid is talented.  Guys that size learn early on how to avoid the big hit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Isn't this always the concern of pint sized players? There really is nothing preventing him from gaining 10-20 lbs in muscle over the summer....I think. If the Fleury's and St. Louis' can survive in the NHL I am sure he perhaps can.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

You can be small, smart and quick and survive, even thrive. You can't be small and slow, or small and dumb. And like the Animal House quote - small, slow and dumb is no way to go through life...

I think he'll be OK, but you just never know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Isn't this always the concern of pint sized players? There really is nothing preventing him from gaining 10-20 lbs in muscle over the summer....I think. If the Fleury's and St. Louis' can survive in the NHL I am sure he perhaps can.

Two things, jm. 

Gaudreau will be 21 by the time the next season starts.  The latest story says he's already put on 10 lbs from last year. He's past the age when it's relatively common to add lean, functional muscle to a small frame like that.  At best, he's on the outside of it.  Instead, he's entering the age where you can Bochenski if you're not careful - bulk up to put on strength and size and lose what got you to where you were in the first place.  (After that, you're into the SanDog phase where no matter how many Jameson's meal replacements drink, you can't keep the weight off. ['course, SanDog lives in California, so he's probably a fit for his age 156lbs thanks to a steady diet of wheatgrass and coffee colonics....])

Even if you accept that he's 160, Fleury played at 180.  St. Louis plays at 176.  You can be short (Desharnais), but if you're that light, I don't know how effective you can be in the long haul. 

stan17 - see SanDog's post above.  It's one thing to learn to avoid the big hit in the USHL and the NCAA, and even on the big ice at the Worlds (NCAA ice is big ice); it's another thing to avoid some of the AHL big hitters who can skate faster and hit harder than most of the guys he's played against to date, especially the 28 year old "all the tools but no toolbox" guys who have stopped dreaming of the NHL and now dream of laying a lick on the next golden boy who thinks the AHL is beneath him.

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

He's Nathan Gerbe with more upside. About 2 inches taller and maybe slightly slighter of build but not much if either of their vitals are to be believed as listed. I have seen both these guys play at BC and of course Gerbe has been in the NHL for a little while now despite the fact that his mom is a gerbil. So far Gerbe has held up okay despite being a runt. I think Gaudreau will be okay as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

WTL - Gerbe's another one who's short like Gaudreau but he has some mass at 178.  That's not huge, but it's 18lbs over what Gaudreau is listed at in the story today, and 28lbs more than he was listed last year.  For a 150lb kid, adding 28 pounds is akin to adding another limb.  We're talking a 20% increase in body weight.

If Gerbe's mom's a gerbil, Gaudreau must be french for field vole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

WTL - Gerbe's another one who's short like Gaudreau but he has some mass at 178.  That's not huge, but it's 18lbs over what Gaudreau is listed at in the story today, and 28lbs more than he was listed last year.  For a 150lb kid, adding 28 pounds is akin to adding another limb.  We're talking a 20% increase in body weight.

If Gerbe's mom's a gerbil, Gaudreau must be french for field vole.

It's a fair point, book. I'm not sure Gerbe is 178 lbs. Maybe with his skates on. Gaudreau can put on some weight without it hindering his skating and overall sublime skill-set. Maybe that ideal weight for him is 165 which gets him about 10 lbs or so below Gerbil boy. I think he can survive the NHL at that weight.

There's a point where a guy, regardless of how good he is, is just too freaking small for the NHL game. Could be that Gaudreau le Vole is going to be the guy that sets that benchmark that says you must be this big to play in the NHL. We'll see. I hope he cuts it because I like the guy and think he's a terrific hockey player. I'm also a closet Calgary Flames fan :P
    [object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

First off, bogus, he's nit 5'9". Neither is warsofsky. 5'6" tops,gerbe. He does have more upside than gerbe but he'll never have the same grit and toughness 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's a picture of him from last year where he's going up against a defenseman - a Leaf or a Bolt - and the d-man looks like he could pick him up and rock him like a baby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

First off, bogus, he's nit 5'9". Neither is warsofsky. 5'6" tops,gerbe. He does have more upside than gerbe but he'll never have the same grit and toughness

Much better hands but not that around the net toughness that is true. Great passer on the powerplay, reminds me of a young Marc Savard quite a bit. I'm a big Eagles fan and will pull for Johnny but man that 1st big hit look out.

Oy vey!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Marty St. Louis is 5'8" at 180,  He is a cabbage patch doll I would like to have on the Bs even at 30.  I get the message but there are the exceptions to the rule.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

There's a picture of him from last year where he's going up against a defenseman - a Leaf or a Bolt - and the d-man looks like he could pick him up and rock him like a baby.

Do you think Chara could even see him on the ice?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Marty St. Louis is 5'8" at 180,  He is a cabbage patch doll I would like to have on the Bs even at 30.  I get the message but there are the exceptions to the rule.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

Just to be clear here, isla - I don't care how tall he is, it's the 150 last year that makes me think the kid's in trouble.  150 at 20 means there's not a lot of frame to hang new muscle on.  Samsonov was 5'8" and 188: "built like a fire hydrant".  A lot of those short guys who make it and have good careers are also stocky with a low centre of gravity, which works for them.  There are a bunch of mites in the NHL right now - Arcobello, Zuccarello, Gionta - and most of them are over 170. 

It's true there are exceptions. Paul Byron - who is also a Flame - is 5'7" tall and weighs 153.  He's 25, so he won't be growing.  And he had 21 points in 47 games and was a plus player on the Lames - Giordano was the only Lame to top Byron's +6.  Monahan was -20, Stempniak -21.  But man, I stand by the point: Gaudreau looks very very small.

Anyone remember seeing Vince Carter jump over some Latvian centre at the Olympics and dunk?  I think Gaudreau will do the opposite - he'll go through Chara's legs.  I'm thinking Speedy Gonzalez and Sylvester here.  Except in this case, if Sylvester catches him, there won't be anything left to eat.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

book - you think he just woke up this morning and figured out that he was small?  He has always been small.  Small players learn how to protect themselves.  You think big, strong NCAA d-man haven't been trying to line him up for the past few years? 

Leave the little guy and pick on someone your own size.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Shea Weber doesn't play in the NCAA.  It's not the "big, strong" that's driving this.  It's the "big, strong, and can move like a much smaller man, so you can't count on being quicker or more agile than he is."  Also, the ice is bigger in the NCAA, which make it a different game.

I think every small player in the history of hockey knows he's small.  Gaudreau is small among the small.  At 150lbs, he was the lightest player listed last year.  At some point, there's a reason for it.  As I've responded to others and their examples, the guys who have had real success while being known as small players are all closer to 180.

And I'm not ripping this kid.  As I said, he's got a ton of talent and he's fun to watch.  But if (when?) he gets injured, I'm not going to be surprised.  If Lucic falls on him, he could come out looking like some of the squirrels I ride by when cycling in to work....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...and I thought all NCAA defensemen were 5'10", 185lb "PMDs"...no?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

listed at 5'10"....in actuality 5'7" or 5'8"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

...and I thought all NCAA defensemen were 5'10", 185lb "PMDs"...no?

Only one CHL player at Bruins development camp is bugging you isn't it ?

Don't think we haven't noticed "Worseoffsky" either LoL

High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. High School, College, Liiga, SHL...Allsvenskan. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Do you think Chara could even see him on the ice?

He never had any trouble finding Gionta. Those two have had some sparring sessions over the years. I'll give Gionta some credit for never backing away but I also think Gionta is preety certain Chara wont fight him because of his size.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Gerbe too....feisty lil guy. Was annoying to watch when he was a Sabre playing against the B's lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SanDog-

Yeah, it sure looks like it.  But I also have a rep to maintain when it comes to slamming little NCAA D-men that Chiarelli seems to love so much.

I don't know if it's that there's only one CHL guy or that that guy is...Mitchell Dempsey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would love to be there when BadHab and Mitchell Dempsey meet. 

"Now look son..." 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Shea Weber doesn't play in the NCAA. 

True, but...

Duncan Keith

Ryan Suter

Ryan McDonagh

Kevin Shattenkirk

Matt Niskanen

Alex Goligoski

Jack Johnson

Erik Johnson

Justin Schultz

Justin Faulk

Jacob Trouba

Matthew Carle

Dan Dekeyser

Jason Garrison

Dan Boyle

any many more did!

Plenty of good competition and defensemen in the NCAA. 

Sections
Shortcuts