Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence"

In today's article about Marchand.  Is this guy kidding?  His comment on Seguin is that he needs to play with confidence, but all he has been doing to him the whole season is benching him for every little mistake he makes.

You can play "not to make mistakes", or you can play "to make something happen", but not both.  I think all would agree that Seguin is playing not to make mistakes, but that is directly related to how he has been handled all year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence"

It's because, at times, Seguin has been very timid out there. Which has caused a lot of Seguins mistakes. Claude is right, Seguin needs to play with confidence. When Seguin does he looks like an NHLer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I hear ya....just saying that the way he has been handled plays a part in him not playing with confidence.  You don't consistently bench somebody every time they make a mistake and think it will lead to that player being more confident

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence":
    I hear ya....just saying that the way he has been handled plays a part in him not playing with confidence.  You don't consistently bench somebody every time they make a mistake and think it will lead to that player being more confident
    Posted by Chappy28

I agree with you Chappy.It's hard to make things happen if you're afraid of being benched if you fail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In Response to Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence":
    In today's article about Marchand.  Is this guy kidding?  His comment on Seguin is that he needs to play with confidence, but all he has been doing to him the whole season is benching him for every little mistake he makes. You can play "not to make mistakes", or you can play "to make something happen", but not both.  I think all would agree that Seguin is playing not to make mistakes, but that is directly related to how he has been handled all year.
    Posted by Chappy28

Do you get rewarded for making mistakes at your job, NO. So why is it any different.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

I agree with Dez and Chappy.  on top of that point thought its hard to play with confidence when your coach shows very little confidence in you

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence" : I agree with you Chappy.It's hard to make things happen if you're afraid of being benched if you fail.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Afraid of being benched ? You're kidding right? Sequin is a top notch competitor.
    He's not afraid of being benched! He's playing within the Bruins' system which demands a certain amount of offensive restraint in order to be Defesnively responsible.  Hall would not be fairing as well in Boston as he is in Edmonton where they are playing a wide open shotgun offense system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Julien -- "Seguin needs to play with confidence" : Afraid of being benched ? You're kidding right? Sequin is a top notch competitor. He's not afraid of being benched! He's playing within the Bruins' system which demands a certain amount of offensive restraint in order to be Defesnively responsible.  Hall would not be fairing as well in Boston as he is in Edmonton where they are playing a wide open shotgun offense system.
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

No I'm not kidding...You think Seguin wants to dump the puck in and peel to the bench rather than trying to make a move on a D-man and risk losing the puck?If he would see the ice again after a turnover,he might be willing to take a chance.Thanks for your input though.I always like to make people laugh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think this situation also illustrates the different philosophies in which Hall and Seguin find themselves.  I heard their coach Tom Renney say he thinks the only way Hall will improve is to learn from the mistakes he's sure to make.  We know Hall has already got the tag of face of the franchise so he'll be playing regardless because his team needs him. 

The Bruins can afford to sit Seguin for whatever the reason they perceive to be in his best interests and the best interets of the club.  I see both sides of the "he can't gain confidence if he's benched for not having it" discourse but if I had a preference it would be that he plays as much as possible in order to gain valuable experience.  Just a thought.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I understand the two different philosophies and situations, I was more pointing out the inherent contradiction in what Claude said, and what he does as a coach.  70 games into the season he is saying that Seguin needs to play with confidence and use his skills to make plays and yet this entire season he has handled him as though he needs to foget about making plays and play defense like Paille.

You can debate all day on what is the best way to handle him, but the fact is that Julien's words contradict his handling of Seguin.  Whether playing Seguin significantly or not, the Bruins were going to be a playoff team this year.  Only difference is that right now we are a playoff team that does not use our #2 pick offensive star type player.  That could have been changed through a different handling of Seguin throughout the year.  You could easily sit Seguin down and go through film after every game and show him his defensive mistakes but that doesn't mean you have to scratch him, bench him, or force him to play with players that can't even comprehend his skill level.

Personally, I would prefer going into the playoffs with a confident, 20 goal scoring Seguin than with Chris Kelly holding down the fort while the kid gets scratched --- even if we came in as a 6 seed instead of a 3 seed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Egg, have you met my friend chicken?  Chicken, egg; egg, chicken.

Call it what you want - thinking too much, playing without confidence, being lost etc., it's more than just the system.  I think what Julien's talking about is that Tyler's going through the motions the way a concert pianist might play scales - he has to put the system into his overall game and figure out how to do what he's capable of doing without freelancing.  Think of it as a Venn diagram - one circle is Tyler's creativity and talent, the other is Claude's system.  Playing with confidence within the system is the overlap.  Too much relying on creativity and talent gets him benched because the system requires coordinated effort.  Too much thinking about the system gets him benched because he isn't really contributing the way he should. 

Showing confidence in him is throwning him back out there even if he plays his way to the bench or the game situation makes Claude feel he needs to put him there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I understand the two different philosophies and situations, I was more pointing out the inherent contradiction in what Claude said, and what he does as a coach.  70 games into the season he is saying that Seguin needs to play with confidence and use his skills to make plays and yet this entire season he has handled him as though he needs to foget about making plays and play defense like Paille. You can debate all day on what is the best way to handle him, but the fact is that Julien's words contradict his handling of Seguin.  Whether playing Seguin significantly or not, the Bruins were going to be a playoff team this year.  Only difference is that right now we are a playoff team that does not use our #2 pick offensive star type player.  That could have been changed through a different handling of Seguin throughout the year.  You could easily sit Seguin down and go through film after every game and show him his defensive mistakes but that doesn't mean you have to scratch him, bench him, or force him to play with players that can't even comprehend his skill level. Personally, I would prefer going into the playoffs with a confident, 20 goal scoring Seguin than with Chris Kelly holding down the fort while the kid gets scratched --- even if we came in as a 6 seed instead of a 3 seed
    Posted by Chappy28

While I do agree with the quote, I agree more with what you're saying. Can't say I would have a lot of confidence if I was seeing 6 mins a game sometimes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

BB, I'll need a little research to follow your perceptive commentary. Your post even implies that Claude is perceptive. Claude is old fashioned, and he is making an attempt to CYA because he has made such a botch of integrating Seguin's offensive talent into his stodgy "system". Obviously the whispers are starting to resonate for Claude.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Confidence is built through ice time and Seguin is not getting minutes in Claudes system.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

"Its hard to play with confidence when your coach shows very little confidence in you."

This says it all--- CJ needs to get a clue on how build his confidence and not consistenly take it away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Blaming the coach is easy, and maybe if this was bantam I'd agree, but confidence doesn't come from the coach just chucking you back on the ice after mistakes. You lose confidence just as quickly if you don't have time to process and figure out where the mistake came from.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

THE SAME PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING SEGUIN ISN'T GETTING ENOUGH ICE TIME
    ARE THE FIRST TO CRITISIZE THE COACHING STAFF IF THE BRUINS START TO SLUMP BIG TIME.

GET ONE THING STRAIGHT...JULIEN IS THERE TO GET THE JOB DONE...WIN WITH THE BEST PLAYERS HE HAS AVAILABLE. IF SEGUIN NEEDS MORE TIME TO BECOME CONFIDENT IN HIS GAME HE SHOULD BE PLAYING IN PROVIDNCE AND NOT THE BIG LEAGUE. 

STOP TREATING THE NHL LIKE A KINDERGARTEN !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

THE SAME PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING SEGUIN ISN'T GETTING ENOUGH ICE TIME ARE THE FIRST TO CRITISIZE THE COACHING STAFF IF THE BRUINS START TO SLUMP BIG TIME. GET ONE THING STRAIGHT...JULIEN IS THERE TO GET THE JOB DONE...WIN WITH THE BEST PLAYERS HE HAS AVAILABLE. IF SEGUIN NEEDS MORE TIME TO BECOME CONFIDENT IN HIS GAME HE SHOULD BE PLAYING IN PROVIDNCE AND NOT THE BIG LEAGUE.  STOP TREATING THE NHL LIKE A KINDERGARTEN !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Are Paille and Thornton better than Seguin?Do larger letters make your thoughts  more meaningful?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Julien has a Ferrari in his hands and he's trying to turn it into a bus. Good Luck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyV219. Show JohnnyV219's posts

Id rather the kid make mistakes during the season while getting at least over 10mins of playing time. Sorry, but if your gonna sit your #2 pick for literally 9/10 of games, he shouldve went down so he can get ample ice time to learn and grow. Think of it like baseball. Would the sox bring up their future star just so he can be a bench warmer most of the time or would they send him to AAA to get as many AB's as he can to improve? I dont know whos to blame, but Tyler NEEDS to play to improve.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

they brought him in and should have known there would be growing pains... having said that pulling him every time he makes a mistake, sitting him in the press box... will definatley not allow him to grow and play with confidence but the biggest thing to me is that plenty of veterans make plenty of critical mistakes in games... not just the rookie whom i think will be good (but not as good as kessel)... but they get a free pass..

i really dont like this coach or his style of play, (chiarelli either for that matter)... and this team still has the majority of the core that got bounced the last two years when it mattered... not sure much has changed... really  well see shortly

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Pretty sweet goal last night by Seguin

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm curious how anyone could doubt Seguin's potential to be better than Kessel.  He's out-produced Kessel's rookie year and looks significantly less lost than Kessel did as a rook, he's thrown more hits since January than Kessel ever did as a Bruin (3), he's as fast or faster than Kessel, he shoots as well as Kessel or better, he's shown a better variety of jukes and dangles than Kessel, and he seems to be smarter and more emotionally stable than Kessel.  I say that without making any comment at all on Kessel, who is what he is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Go Seguin!!!!!!

40 goals next year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

I think Seguin can play, no doubt.  I wanted him because of his speed, shot, and his skill.  After last night's game, all I wanted to see is him finish his checks.  He peeled off of so many playes, it was frustrating to watch.

In this system of dump and chase, he doesn't stand a chance.  Are we the only team left in the NHL that still does the dump and chase?  In my book, this is called turning the puck over and it happens way too many times.  Seguin is a good player and players like that should have the freedom to show that he can compete.  CJ, let him play on the third line with consistancy and let him play or call it quits yourself

Sections
Shortcuts