Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches

The players completely have Claude's respect. The last guy who disrespected him was Phil Kessel, and Phil went on his merry way to Toronto. What more do you want out of your coach than leadership and respect of the players. Julien is an outstanding coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Sure they're doing good right now and I give credit to Julien for that. I want to see it in the playoffs.

If we lose to another lower seed on home ice in the first or second round, julied better be canned immediately

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

so you must also want the Patriots to fire Bellichick immediately?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Why is it that Lucic no longer fights and hits a lot less than previous years? Yes he has 17 goals but why eliminate a major part of his game. Thats the coaches decision regardless, i decision i don't agree with.

I can't judge Julien until after this years playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

This is CJ's ultimate year to make it past the 2nd round with the Bruins. If not , how long can you keep this guy as your coach? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Danny, I love the Pats more than any other team. Everybody likes to put the blame for the loss on Brady and BB, and they dont like to realize the Jets are a good team. I dont think BB was at fault too much. The fake punt wasnt his call, it was chungs. Patrick has already admitted that. The jets came in with a good gameplan and were the better team. Belichick is also considered by many to be a top 3 coahc of all time and has won 3 super bowls during his tenure. Also, the patriots have only had one losing season under BB and that was 2000, BB's first year.

As for Claude, I want to see this team do it in the playoffs. Your telling me you will be ok with losing to another inferior team on home ice in the playoffs? Teams dont make adjustments in the reg. season like they do in the playoffs. Im not gonna be a fan of CJ untill he can put it all together and take the B's on a good playoff run. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The problem is not that he isn't a good coach, it is that he hasn't been better than Tortorella2004, Carbonneau2008, Maurice2009 and Laviolette2010 but he was better than Mike Sullivan in 2004.

Let's hope his 5th trip is better than the first 4 to the playoffs. If he wins the cup, then you can come back and say he is better than them all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I'm definitely one that has criticized CJ this year, but I'm happy to give him props for getting things turned around. He looks to have opened things up, which is what most of us who were criticizing him were calling for. The style the team is playing now is not the same style as a month ago. Whether or not that is all CJ's doing is up for debate, but he seems to have finally made necessary adjustments. Let's see how long it lasts and if the Bruins can have more success in the playoffs this year. I'd love to see that. :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches:
    Two years ago, Julien was the Coach of the Year. Last year when the team was struggling at end of reg. season and through tons of injuries, he at least got the team thinking it was capable right up until the Philly choke. Fact is the Krecji injury kept the team from a potential Cup final. This year, the B's are playing great 5-on-5 hockey, getting super goaltending from Thomas, and using youngsters on defense who are playing well above their expectations. The team is the best 3rd Period team in the NHL. I"m so sick of the anti-Claude bridgade saying Julien is stunting this guy, and hampering this line, and hurting the PP, and playing boring hockey. This is not boring hockey. This is exciting, winning hockey. I'm enjoying this ride. Will it translate to the playoffs? We'll see, but I'm giving Claude much deserved props for his leadership and several of his motivational moves.
    Posted by dannycater

Julien still stinks, always has, always will. Do you really think this is all him? They are playing a completely different style. I am sure Cam called him in and let him know how he wants things operated. Last time i checked Julien's "trap" system did not consist of 3 forcheckers, one high near blue line and two below circles and DOUBLE-pinching D-Men!!! The system has changed, that's why your seeing more opportunities which have translated into more goals. 

So please, do not let these wins deceive you. Lord knows, that if they lost 7 of next 9 games you will post something to the affect of "Julien not right coach"...Just drop it and stop being so naive!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

2nd in the Eastern Conference. Julien is having a good year and has developed more young player like Marchand and Seguin. Very good coach. Just don't blow any more 2-0 leads to the habs when I am at the game please

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches:
    Sure they're doing good right now and I give credit to Julien for that. I want to see it in the playoffs. If we lose to another lower seed on home ice in the first or second round, julied better be canned immediately
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

Bull****.   Should the Caps and Pens have fired their coaches after losing to Montreal last year?    There is at least one lower seed advancing in the playoffs every single year, it isn't always an upset.

If Boston is matched against Washington, Philly, Pittsburg or Tampa in the first round I'd say it could go either way.    Losing to either of those teams in a long hard fought series would not be considered an upset, but the B's are capable of beating them just the same.   Tampa, Montreal, Ranger, Carolina and it should be a Boston win in 6 or less.

The league has parity, and as such all a team can do is play as good as it can and hope that it's enough.   More often than not, if both teams are on their game things go pretty evenly and it comes down to a couple of lucky bounces or penalty calls (Ex: Savard too many men on the ice), or a hot goalie.

If the B's get thoroughly outplayed and wiped out in 5 games, then sure you might have a case that they weren't ready, but there are plently of scenarios where the B's don't advance and you can't hold the coach accountable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

julien has won more playoff series in 3 years as coach (2...including a MONTREAL SWEEP)....than the team won in the previous 9 seasons(1...the entire big joe era).  three straight post-season appearances... coach of the year... best team inthe east 2 years ago...one win away from the conference finals the past two years. julien has this organization headed in the right direction-and i've said it all year long...not just because they are winning...check my posts. news flash haters...the team is in 1st place in its div. with game in hand, and 2nd in the conf., and this team is starting 4 rookies(2off/2def) on the best defensive team in hockey....THAT is great coaching  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I love how much the conversation has changed in the last two weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

dc- same conversation...from those who post whether they win or lose. your just not hearing from those who ONLY come  here after a loss to vent and call for the entire team to be fired.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Regular season is one thing and playoff performance is another.  If CJ lays an egg for the third straight year he should be fired.  PC and CN have brought in the players for a deep run.  CJ has to be held accountable if he doesn't get them there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Homebrew's post is right on.  I would even include those last 4 teams that "could' beat the Bruins.  They could also beat Philly, Washington, and Pittsburgh too.  Lower seeds beat higher seeds every year, and usually in the first round.  It's not anomoly, it happenns every single year.  That's why we watch.
    Assuming any coach must reach the finals, to maintain employment is foolish.  Too many things can happen.
    Without doubt, the Bruins will have a slump sometime before the regular season ends.  Playoffs are a long way down the road, and there will undoubtedly be some player changes.  No need yet to be either too optimistic, or too pessimistic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches:
    dc- same conversation...from those who post whether they win or lose. your just not hearing from those who ONLY come  here after a loss to vent and call for the entire team to be fired.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Good point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i guess laying an egg is getting one win from the conference finals two consecutive years? i don't get it, team is up 3-0 in game 7 last year...and losing that game was bad coaching? so let me get this correct- GREAT coaching up until that point....then BAD coaching from that point on?  when  is it the players responsibility? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It's not necessarily bad coaching as it is bad leadership - there is a difference.  Losing two game 7's in a row ON HOME ICE constitutes establishing a trend, and quite possibly a serious problem with CJ's abililty to motivate at critical times (ie: leadership).  If that trend continues, I think it would be difficult to explain to the fan base that CJ is coming back.  How many consecutive times can we settle for playoff mediocrity?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Not many teams come within 1 game of conference finals 2 years in a row. But somehow get better every year with prospects and young players. A resurgance of Ryder this Year and Wheeler hitting his stride as a 3rd/4th line checker is going to help alot in the Playoffs this year. Oh and I got a feeling we are going to be happy Horton is around in the 2nd round this year. Just a hunch.

I was getting unnerved with CJ last year amid the 0-10 stint and this year during december. But I must admit he has shown some gusto in line changes faith in youngsters (marchand kampfer seguin) and changing up his old system to bring more offense out of the offensive guys (Bergy-Krejci-Savard-Chara etc..)

Im not exactly pro or anti julien im sitting on the fence. But my feet are down on the Pro side now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Hangnail, I think you are oversimplifying things a lot.   I believe two years ago the Bruins were quite beatend and bruised, to the point several players that were on the ice would not have been so during the regular season.   Last season we had players not even dress because of injuries and others that were again likely playing hurt.   That is probably true as well for the other teams, but we really don't know who's hurt and to what degree.   It's impossible for us to know the full picture of everything that goes into a hockey game from the sidelines. 

Blaming the coach is the easy way out, and while in some cases it might be deserved, it wasn't last season.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

No he is not. Julien has a very strict defensive style that has been adjusted in the last month after his " discussion" with Chiarelli where all we heard was that Claude was stubborn. After being dumped by both Montreal and New Jersey, IMO, humble as it may be, Claude finally listened and augmented his desired mode of play with more involvement, bench management, although Houda is not doing as well, and game time adjustments. The Montreal loss was his final wake up and be counted time. There are still moments when Timmy or Tuuka bails him out, so he needs to be even more aware of how and who his team is playing. Last nite, without last change, he still managed to have Bergeron or Savard, and Chara, facing Staal. There are some very inventive  and new coaches who are more aclimated toward an up-tempo, faster game who have performed well against Claude's lack of flexibility. Cannot expect Timmy/Tuuka to stop 43 shots regularly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Philly was a lower seed, yes. Buffalo was a higher seed. Ruff is still the coach (for how much longer is the question).

To say that Cam is the reason that the Bs have been playing better is garbage. Cam is my favorite athlete ever, I just don't think he's the kind of guy to tell Julien how to coach, he's smarter than that. 

The players actually explained the way they forecheck and press on the plays, nothing has changed, the players are just playing better in the system.

Forecheck
    If the first forecheck fails, the second forechecker bails and plays off. The first forechecker has been more successful recently leading to the other man pressing. This isn't a strategy change, it's that the team is getting better at forechecking allowing the team to press.

Defensive pinching
    The defense has the ability to pinch as long as the centerman or other winger rotates back to allow the D man to pinch. They've been doing this all year. If you play the high slot offense, the D men can pinch alot more because they have protection.

Still haven't seen anything change from the breakouts but Kampfer is helping the team skate the puck out and has been given the go ahead to jump in on the breakouts (as has Chara for as long as I can remember).

If you think that Julien should be fired if he doesn't make it out of the second round then you should really get your head checked. Julien has a system that wins and is a good disciplined hockey coach. I agree with you that it can be boring but I'll take boring wins instead of exciting losses anyday.

Bs are hitting their stride, try to enjoy it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For me it is about getting them through to the Stanley Cup. The last two seasons the Bruins should have been to the Eastern Conference so Julien needs further this talented team further on or he must go I agree with SCO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

it's funny...no cup for 30+ years ...and now it's cup or your fired...WOW. i guess 29 coaches should be fired every year.

Sections
Shortcuts