Julien going off on embellishment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achilles2004. Show Achilles2004's posts

Re: Julien going off on embellishment

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Never heard this from him before , it's worth a thread by itself.

It’s frustrating because tonight as everybody saw, there’s a lot of embellishment.

And this is embarrassing for our game, the embellishing.

And right now they’ve got over 100 power plays, so far, and it’s pretty obvious why.

It was pretty obvious, you know, when P.K. gets hits and he throws himself into the glass and holds his head ...you know what? We start calling those penalties for embellishment, maybe teams will stop doing it.

courtesy of Matt Kalman

What is embarassing for the game is Marchand sticking his stick in Prost's face when Prost is down on the ice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Achilles2004's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Never heard this from him before , it's worth a thread by itself.

It’s frustrating because tonight as everybody saw, there’s a lot of embellishment.

And this is embarrassing for our game, the embellishing.

And right now they’ve got over 100 power plays, so far, and it’s pretty obvious why.

It was pretty obvious, you know, when P.K. gets hits and he throws himself into the glass and holds his head ...you know what? We start calling those penalties for embellishment, maybe teams will stop doing it.

courtesy of Matt Kalman

What is embarassing for the game is Marchand sticking his stick in Prost's face when Prost is down on the ice.

If your going to come on here troll at least get all the names correct, it's Prust.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Claude said it best in the game interview by Englom.  The Bs were not executing.  The defense and first line were not making crisp passes.  Point to the loss in those comments.   

As for embellishment, it is the 21st century.  Start fining the players.  Marchand's stick in the face of Prust should be fined.  PK acting like he got shot and sliding into the net, fine.  On and on.....

Sandog is incorrect.  Yes, the Bs were undisciplined.  Yet, Chara was responding to a Seguin's hit.  Broken stick on the ribs, yup lost the game but the "Team" will remember the action.  If Seguin had been hurt severely many on here would be crucifying Chara for not doing anything!  Look above to why the Bs lost.  Poor execution.  

Agree, it would have been undisciplined if Chara didn't respond. That will pay dividends down the road. Sometimes losing isn't as bad as getting a stick broken across your ribs and the 7' tall monster of a captain not responding. Seguin needed that. They lost that game for a lot of reasons, disicpline however was not one of them. Lots of blame to go around for the Bruins. It's a long list. The Canadiens played better and wanted the puck more than the Bruins did- game over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Claude circling the wagons and trying to create something positive after the loss. Smart on his part.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Claude circling the wagons and trying to create something positive after the loss. Smart on his part.

And the next time the teams play each other, you can be sure the refs will have their eyes wide open for malarky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm glad Julien spoke up and he is right. He made his comments tactfully too, not mentioning referees so there shouldn't be any fines. Just aimed it at the league for not cracking down on the diving and embellishment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jburtt. Show jburtt's posts

Been a Bruins fan since the mid 60's and have always despised the Canadiens but always respected their great teams of the seventies. They were skilled with a fair amount of toughness and played the game the right way. The Canadiens of the last few years have turned into the worst bunch of whining,embellishing,backstabbing bunch of babies ever assembled. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'm glad Julien spoke up and he is right. He made his comments tactfully too, not mentioning referees so there shouldn't be any fines. Just aimed it at the league for not cracking down on the diving and embellishment.

Indeed. 

March 27th they're back in Boston. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Did anyone else notice a lot of Hab ballwashing by the NBC guys? What was the deal there? All they had was good things to say about the Canadiens and hardly a word is said about the B's. I can't remember any specific instances but I remember thinking to myself several times "would you guys shut up about the shabs already?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Did anyone else notice a lot of Hab ballwashing by the NBC guys? What was the deal there? All they had was good things to say about the Canadiens and hardly a word is said about the B's. I can't remember any specific instances but I remember thinking to myself several times "would you guys shut up about the shabs already?"

Englom is an ex-Hab and Habs are liked in the U.S.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Would like to see CJ go a little more ballistic on the bench in real-time in direct response to some of these calls or non-calls.  A well timed bench-minor (not to go down to a 5-3) can also go a long way in making your point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Would like to see CJ go a little more ballistic on the bench in real-time in direct response to some of these calls or non-calls.  A well timed bench-minor (not to go down to a 5-3) can also go a long way in making your point.

One thing about CJ that i've noticed is he only goes off when he knows the calls are bad and he went off a few times last night but he controls it. I doubt you'll ever see him flip out like Mad Mike or Torts but he does let the refs have once in awhile.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Regardless of what team they play for, the refs have to call the worst offendrs for diving. According to rule 64 a player's third diving penalty of the year will result in a one game suspension. You start calling it and forcing the real divers to sit in the press box a game, and I guarantee we'll see the amount of diving go down dramatically.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've been trying to find one case where rule 64's full extent has been used, and can't find one case where the automatic suspension has been handed down. In other words, with all the blatant divers in the league, as far as I can see not one of them has been called for it 3 tmes over the course of a season. That's ridiculous. Why bother having a rule you never use?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Red, I think they don't use it because it is not a commonly called penalty because it is hard to tell honestly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo! Nice stats.  To wit, why doesn't the NHL start saying opps that was not called an embellished act (unsportsmanlike conduct) after a viewing of the game by an official who works with the on ice officials during the game.  I have stated this before, why have two refs.  Put one in the press box to critique the game and make notes not only to the on ice ref but the NHL disciplinarian.  Fine the player infractions not called.  Make the officials work as a team to exact or perfect (old sense of the word) the game.  It is the 21st century, the world is flat.  Use technology please!  There are solutions, the NHL is acting like European soccer, ie. "Don't change the rules as the game is sacrosanct.  Let the on field officials call the game." NOT SMART when today's atheletes are well tuned into video and the historionics of getting a penalty.  I feel better. No one will listen but........

In response to red75's comment:

I've been trying to find one case where rule 64's full extent has been used, and can't find one case where the automatic suspension has been handed down. In other words, with all the blatant divers in the league, as far as I can see not one of them has been called for it 3 tmes over the course of a season. That's ridiculous. Why bother having a rule you never use?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I really like Claude Julien, think he is a fantastic coach, but these comments were made out of fustration from last nights game, period..He stated his comments weren't so much about last night but the game in general..Then, why wait til after a loss to the Habs if he's so concerned about the game in general? Also, everyone knows the Canadiens have been diving or embellishing for years, including when he was the coach.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I really like Claude Julien, think he is a fantastic coach, but these comments were made out of fustration from last nights game, period..He stated his comments weren't so much about last night but the game in general..Then, why wait til after a loss to the Habs if he's so concerned about the game in general? Also, everyone knows the Canadiens have been diving or embellishing for years, including when he was the coach.

I Agree Claude was just upset. I will cut him some slack. Look at it like this he is not backing down from what he said. He still is sticking to what he said which I respect.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Good job CJ -- its about time. Got his point across without saying the obvious -- Refs -- "get your act together and help save the NHL from further embarassment". "Habs -- stop making a mockery of this great game". Diving is part of the rule book -- enforce it and the garbage stops. Once the Habs spend 90% of the game in the penalty box -- they may just get the message.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Red - You make an excellent point.

I posted this earlier in a different thread.

I don't think the B's lost the game because of the refs, as poorly as the game was officiated. However, if the scabs (or any team) draw more penalties than their opponents with their antics who knows what would have happened in the game if there was more 5 on 5 play.

Regarding the refs, they are put in a tough spot with all the diving and embellishment going on. It's much easier to distinguish when it happens from our couches with slo-mo replay and rewind. A lot of players are good at this and the sad fact is it works too often which only encourages more of the same. It's difficult to control it during the game so the league needs to take a page from the NBA (I can't believe I'm saying this!) and review suspect plays where diving and/or embellishment may happen then levy fines and even suspensions for repeat diving. It's an embarrassment as CJ said. It's far and way the biggest problem in the game. (The ridiculous goalie gear comes in a distant 2nd.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Well, that's because their owner and GM want it taught there. Don't defend it. I don't know how old you are, but this goes way back to when I started watching hockey, 30 years ago.

Chelios, Corson, Lemieux, Richer, etc. They were infamous for being absolutely pansies and dirty, to boot. When it came to pony up and fight, they'd back away. The diving has become more prevalent the last 2 decades with the influx of Europeans they like to go after. Gutless Russians/Scandavian types.

It's just not tolerated in Boston. No one respects a pansy or pansy behavior.  It makes a mockery of the game. Julien is correct.   I don't care when he says it. It was a great time to say it.   Hot on the heels of awful officiating allowing it to go on and the rest of the league is applauding Julien right now.

The Canadiens think they can run the league. Control it.  That's who they are and what they do.

I agree w/ you except I never considered Chelios or Corson pansie type players, dirty and chippy yes but not pansies.   

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Well, that's because their owner and GM want it taught there. Don't defend it. I don't know how old you are, but this goes way back to when I started watching hockey, 30 years ago.

Chelios, Corson, Lemieux, Richer, etc. They were infamous for being absolutely pansies and dirty, to boot. When it came to pony up and fight, they'd back away. The diving has become more prevalent the last 2 decades with the influx of Europeans they like to go after. Gutless Russians/Scandavian types.

It's just not tolerated in Boston. No one respects a pansy or pansy behavior.  It makes a mockery of the game. Julien is correct.   I don't care when he says it. It was a great time to say it.   Hot on the heels of awful officiating allowing it to go on and the rest of the league is applauding Julien right now.

The Canadiens think they can run the league. Control it.  That's who they are and what they do.

I agree w/ you except I never considered Chelios or Corson pansie type players, dirty and chippy yes but not pansies.   

Dude, they always skated away from the B's toughest players. Always. Corson would cheapshot Bourque behind the net, Chelios would be Chelios and they would never square off in a fight. Ever.

Can you even remember one fight between Chelios and Neely for example?  The point is, those turds played tough but then the time came, they were gutless pukes. Corson was a poseur.

Nope can't remember Chelios fighting say Neely but that doesn't mean he isn't tough, it means he's smart. I do remember Corson fighting Neely and doing just fine. Again, dirty & chippy sure but they weren't pansies.